• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

So, I think i messed up. I'm at the point where I have to kill 4 war chiefs. however, I kept dying to one of the captains. He now appears to be invincible to everything but arrows and shadow strike. he doesn't have weaknesses. I don't have shadow strike either.

can I skip him, hope to avoid him in the war chief fight and carry on? Or could I game it, and kill a different chief, wait for a replacement and kill him instead?

Some shots:

15563083452_b4f51e069d_o.jpg

14942047203_0d6f428cc6_o.jpg

15559541631_c7a3aed128_o.jpg

Skux

So, I think i messed up. I'm at the point where I have to kill 4 war chiefs. however, I kept dying to one of the captains. He now appears to be invincible to everything but arrows and shadow strike. he doesn't have weaknesses. I don't have shadow strike either.

can I skip him, hope to avoid him in the war chief fight and carry on? Or could I game it, and kill a different chief, wait for a replacement and kill him instead?

You won't need to kill them all. But if you're having trouble against a warchief, you can

- do side quests to level up and get abilities that may help you accomplish the objectives that will draw the warchief out
- shadow strike is awesome and you should get it anyway
- kill a warchief's bodyguards before facing him, making the fight easier

Aske

If I get a game on PS4 now is there a way to get Dark Ranger outfit ?

Look for a new retail copy with a sticker on the box that says it includes the skin. There ought to still be a few on the shelves.

But don't worry, I'm sure it'll show up as DLC eventually.

NEWEGG in their ebay store - YES. I bought it there a week ago - my copy had the DLC. It comes packed in with PS4 versions of the game I think.

Edit: Beaten - sticker on the box says it too.

Look for a new retail copy with a sticker on the box that says it includes the skin. There ought to still be a few on the shelves.

But don't worry, I'm sure it'll show up as DLC eventually.

Thanks.

But currently there is no way to get it if I buy on PSN store right ?

What if you buy season pass do you get it than ? In description it says it includes skins but are they available immediately ?

dreamfall

I finished the game yesterday, and absolutely loved the Nemesis system. I think the story missions were serviceable, and almost a necessary tutorial for messing around in the world. I enjoyed the simplicity of it, and I really dislike the lore of LotR. The final two boss fights were totally disappointing, but I didn't expect much.

I think branding Orcs changed the way I approached the game entirely; I had a ton of fun manipulating the boards and getting Orcs to murder one another. The Shadow Mount skill was awesome, and I've just been rounding up side missions/challenges to linger a bit.

A totally wonderful surprise! The combat was so bloody and a lot of fun. Traversal felt a bit more crude compared to the AC franchise, but I loved hopping over small objects to sprint about. I'm excited to see what the Season Pass will bring, and I think the Nemesis system is truly an achievement in third person open world titles. There was a ton of emergent dynamic gameplay, and although the game got way too easy as you leveled, I loved feeling like a total badass.

Like any game, it's got some flaws. But damn, it was a hell of a ride!

Haunted

Well, then level up shadow strike or just fuck him up with arrows. :D

I just don't see the point of the nemesis system.

I'm 12 mission in and so far its just been an annoyance more than anything. I'll be doing a side mission and run into some captain triggering a 5 minute cutscene of him breathing heavily. Then I kill him like I would any other enemy (only with some arbitrary limitations) and then I get to watch another loud green guy take his spot on the screen. And I don't know, it's like an endless loop?

Does it affect the outcome of the story in any way?

Skux

For me, it is the story. It's extremely satisfying getting revenge on someone that has killed you, after discovering their weakness and executing a plan to exploit it. Or picking off a warchief's bodyguards before going for him. The same for when you get to dominate a captain and aid their rise in the ranks.

Also, I just realised you can run a caragor through a campfire and set it on fire, so you're riding a flaming caragor. Hell yes.

SeanR1221

Entered the second area and almost immediately got spotted by a captain, and as the battle went on 3 others showed up. I was able to kill 2 but has to make a run for it.

eshwaaz

Not having a single outfit as an unlock for getting one of the collectables or something is extremely disappointing.
Love the game, but totally agree with this. As far as I could tell, you get absolutely nothing for completing the weapon-based side quests.

Just finished the game.

Ending spoilers ahead.

Not really sure how I feel about the ending. It definitely sets up a sequel and I guess since the game did so well with reviewers and has seemingly done well at retail that we'll definitely be getting a second game.

I was really hoping for more of a bittersweet ending. It seemed like it could have wrapped up Talion's story perfectly. I suppose if handled well though a sequel could be even better. After doing the mission "The Rescue" it really made me wish they had explored Talion's human side a bit more. Lithariel was one of the few things he showed true emotion about and I felt like the cutscene at the end of that mission was maybe the highest point of the entire story. If we do end up getting a sequel I hope they explore that side a bit more because there seems to be a lot of potential with that.

As for the final boss, it really goes without saying that it was pretty disappointing. All the build up for what amounted to 4 button presses. It isn't that big of a deal but it would have been nice to have that final fight. Especially since the Tower "fight" wasn't all that great either. It seems like a bit of a missed opportunity considering the combat system was so well done. I'm not too bent out of shape about it though.

Game was fantastic overall. Monolith did an incredible job and I have to say it's one of the more unique games I've played in terms of the Nemesis system and the hierarchy of orcs.

Hyunkel6

Damn you, GAF. I ordered the game because of all the hype and positive impressions in this thread, and should receive it next week.

How are some people getting ~50 hours of play time with the game? I think I average at ~20 for Batman and AC, and that's after doing EVERYTHING.

Levyne

Banned
Damn you, GAF. I ordered the game because of all the hype and positive impressions in this thread, and should receive it next week.

How are some people getting ~50 hours of play time with the game? I think I average at ~20 for Batman and AC, and that's after doing EVERYTHING.

I suppose it depends on how much you get invested into the nemesis system and such, people have been platinum-ing this game in about 20-25 hours as well.

MUnited83

For you.

Messing around with the nemesis system is fun as heck.

negitoro7

I've now branded 3 out of 5 warchiefs and trying to target the the others' Captains but am unable to locate them when I go to their supposed strongholds and searching in wraith mode throughout the entire place. What gives? Has happened with three captains I'm hunting. End up spending at least half an hour fighting grunts with no sign of those specific captains. Glitch?

Thrakier

Messing around with the nemesis system is fun as heck.

I really don't see this. Don't get me wrong, I like the concept, but the reality for me is:

- I kill them anyway
- it's often gets messy with 3-4 of them showing up at once and...I just kill them
- names too complicated, I can't remember who is who
- too much "work" to grasp it

So I really just play it like a normal game where sometimes an enemy shows up more than once. It's kinda there, but I don't see how it is a revolution.

Levyne

Banned
I've now branded 3 out of 5 warchiefs and trying to target the the others' Captains but am unable to locate them when I go to their supposed strongholds and searching in wraith mode throughout the entire place. What gives? Has happened with three captains I'm hunting. End up spending at least half an hour fighting grunts with no sign of those specific captains. Glitch?

I've never had to spend much time looking for them, was always able to find with the wraith-o-vision.

I think they can leak outside of the zone that they are stated to be in, so maybe flirt with the edges of the zone? It's one of those things that you can't prove is glitched because perhaps you just haven't been lucky enough to find him, but I think others have reported the same thing wrt captains not appearing.

I clocked in at just over 34 hours and that's with doing everything the game has to offer.

All the side missions, collectibles, challenges and achievements. There's definitely a lot of content to get immersed in but I think most people will be hard pressed to get to upwards of 50 hours unless they're spending a considerable amount of that time just hunting orcs and messing around with the Nemesis system.

Unity2012

Just when I think I am getting used to the pace of things the game throws another ball my way, always something new to learn.

Sometimes we--gamers, as a community, focus too much on the wrong of everything and forget to recognize the good created and provided by developers like Monolith. Thank you guys for hours and hours of pure fun and challenges.

Sheytan

Finally finished this game thanks to the tip from Gaf of branding the bodyguards first before taking on and branding the 5 Warchiefs(and even then it was hard as hell and a pain in the ass)

Probably my GOTY so far, everything was spectacular-graphics(PC) , story, and combat were all ace. One of those games you can't put down no matter how hard it is. Props to Monolith for making the sleeper hit of 2014

I branded captains instead and ordered them to kill the warchief and take their place.

I'm 12 mission in and so far its just been an annoyance more than anything. I'll be doing a side mission and run into some captain triggering a 5 minute cutscene of him breathing heavily. Then I kill him like I would any other enemy (only with some arbitrary limitations) and then I get to watch another loud green guy take his spot on the screen. And I don't know, it's like an endless loop?

The full effect comes into play much later in the game.

Kerda

I got a GTX 970 yesterday, upgrading from my 760, and Mordor has been my go-to game for trying to let the card flex its muscle. I took these screenshots earlier via Fraps:

Settings -
2560 x 1600 (16x10 monitor)
Lighting - High
Mesh - High
Shadows - High
Textures - Ultra
AF - Ultra
AO - High
Vegetation - Ultra

iPX0E8hbTJUSu.jpg

iDimv75oG8BZ2.jpg

icE01B7DpEYeE.jpg

Unai

So, I branded 5 body guards. They all showed up when I selected the mission to get the war chief. I stealh killed him and didn't get the archievement. Do I have to make them kill him or something?

Levyne

Banned
So, I branded 5 body guards. They all showed up when I selected the mission to get the war chief. I stealh killed him and didn't get the archievement. Do I have to make them kill him or something?

yeah, you need to initiate the brand and that should pop it.

MUnited83

For you.

You have to "activate" them first.

What do you mean by "initiate the brand"? The five body guards were already branded before battle. Do you mean press up in the gamepad so "my boys" will attack him?
Yep, that's it.

Ferrio

Banned
Just finished the game.

Ending spoilers ahead.

Not really sure how I feel about the ending. It definitely sets up a sequel and I guess since the game did so well with reviewers and has seemingly done well at retail that we'll definitely be getting a second game.

I was really hoping for more of a bittersweet ending. It seemed like it could have wrapped up Talion's story perfectly. I suppose if handled well though a sequel could be even better. After doing the mission "The Rescue" it really made me wish they had explored Talion's human side a bit more. Lithariel was one of the few things he showed true emotion about and I felt like the cutscene at the end of that mission was maybe the highest point of the entire story. If we do end up getting a sequel I hope they explore that side a bit more because there seems to be a lot of potential with that.

As for the final boss, it really goes without saying that it was pretty disappointing. All the build up for what amounted to 4 button presses. It isn't that big of a deal but it would have been nice to have that final fight. Especially since the Tower "fight" wasn't all that great either. It seems like a bit of a missed opportunity considering the combat system was so well done. I'm not too bent out of shape about it though.

Game was fantastic overall. Monolith did an incredible job and I have to say it's one of the more unique games I've played in terms of the Nemesis system and the hierarchy of orcs.

As much as the last fight was a let down due to the QTE, I see why they did it or more exactly why they had to do it. They kinda backed themselves into a wall with a very consistent play style through the whole game. Any single enemy they would of thrown against you couldn't of been harder than the hardest captain unless they suddenly threw a new game mechanic at you outta left field. Hopefully the sequel establishes real bosses fights throughout the game, so when you finally get to the end it can be something unique.

Levyne

Banned
As much as the last fight was a let down due to the QTE, I see why they did it or more exactly why they had to do it. They kinda backed themselves into a wall with a very consistent play style through the whole game. Any single enemy they would of thrown against you couldn't of been harder than the hardest captain unless they suddenly threw a new game mechanic at you outta left field. Hopefully the sequel establishes real bosses fights throughout the game, so when you finally get to the end it can be something unique.

Yeah, the only thing I think they could have done with the confines they set up would have been something like an Arkham Mr. Freeze, but even then I'm not sure on the details of how that would work. You'd have to rotate combat/range/stealth weakness with some sort of tell and then somehow throw in a few more wrinkles somehow ..

LiK

beat the game last night. meh boss fight but the rest was fun. great game.

btw,, much thanks for the tips involving the Squealer mission. I used a combination of the methods you guys told me about and it worked first try. Happy.

I've done pretty much all there is to do in this now and i feel pretty burned out. Had a damn fun time with it but post-main story there's just not much to do after you pretty much own every orc you meet. Game gets too OP for its own good. The thing that got me hooked was how much you had to think to not end up in a bad situation imo, but with every skill unlocked i just never end up in that kind of situation anymore, so it just feels kinda dull.

Kickass game though, loved the nemesis system.

Skux

I've done pretty much all there is to do in this now and i feel pretty burned out. Had a damn fun time with it but post-main story there's just not much to do after you pretty much own every orc you meet. Game gets too OP for its own good. The thing that got me hooked was how much you had to think to not end up in a bad situation imo, but with every skill unlocked i just never end up in that kind of situation anymore, so it just feels kinda dull.

I agree, the game is at its best when you had weaknesses and had to retreat from fights, and actually died when you got in too deep. After you get the 5x instead of 8x execution and some of the top level skills you just become unstoppable and can ignore a lot of the strengths and weaknesses of the captains.

Top Bottom