• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

SpyGuy239

GAF does the game go into talion's backstory as it progresses?

If not is wikipedia the best place i can read about it? I really want to know the backstory and am quite perplexed its not revealed yet.

Thanks!

AJLma

Just when I thought I was getting bored of this game, I unlock Dominate.

I am now training Orcs and making them duel, like a cruel version of Pokemon where I get to kill the loser :p.

i cant understand why i find assassins creed boring to play and i love shadow of mordor...

Quite frankly, I don't understand that mentality either. SoM is way more monotonous than even the first AC and it doesn't even bother to borrow all of the good stuff from the games it copies.

The nemesis system didn't excite me in any way after the first few encounters. I just saw way too many repeated names, faces, and armors. Captains went down almost as quick as normal grunts too.

Better combat, more interesting side missions and for whatever reason I'll never tire of having some Orc that dispatched me, gloating about it. After which I have to go remove his head.

If it's going to straight-up copy Arkham's combat, it should actually improve on it in some way instead of cutting the most interesting aspects of those games. Oh, and there is no way the side mission is more entertaining than the variety of stuff in the AC/Arkham games. I say side mission because there really is only one and it is repeated 24 times. Free the damned slaves. Eh, I suppose the weapon challenges are interesting enough.

Unai

Quite frankly, I don't understand that mentality either. SoM is way more monotonous than even the first AC and it doesn't even bother to borrow all of the good stuff from the games it copies.

The nemesis system didn't excite me in any way after the first few encounters. I just saw way too many repeated names, faces, and armors. Captains went down almost as quick as normal grunts too.

We can only agree in disagree at this point.

Wiggy

What's the easiest way to get a level 25 rune?

From youtube trophy guy Powerpyx

The following requirements must be met to get a level 25 rune:
+20 for the enemy being level 20
+2 for the enemy being a Warchief
+1 for performing a revenge kill (the Warchief killed you before)
+1 for knowing the weaknesses of the Warchief (interrogate Captains to get intel)
+1 for exploiting the Warchief's Fear / Hate
=25 points that equal a level 25 rune.

Here's their video about it

What's the easiest way to get a level 25 rune?

Find a captain with an easily exploitable fear (caragor, grave walker, fire etc.) by gathering intel (for intelligence bonus.)

Nurture him up to power level 20 and make sure he becomes a chieftain (for chieftain bonus)

Let him kill you on the climb up (for vengeance bonus)

Issue a death threat through another captain (for threat bonus.)

Kill him in his stronghold while triggering his fear (for weakness bonus.)

The cumulative effect of power level 20 plus all the modifiers mentioned above means a level 25 rune will drop.

EDIT: beaten

SxP

Find a captain with an easily exploitable fear (caragor, grave walker, fire etc.) by gathering intel (for intelligence bonus.)

Nurture him up to power level 20 and make sure he becomes a chieftain (for chieftain bonus)

Let him kill you on the climb up (for vengeance bonus)

Issue a death threat through another captain (for threat bonus.)

Kill him in his stronghold while triggering his fear (for weakness bonus.)

The cumulative effect of power level 20 plus all the modifiers mentioned above means a level 25 rune will drop.

EDIT: beaten

Issuing a death threat is not a good idea. There's a large chance you'll get a epic rune, which has no level.

Ferrio

Banned
GAF does the game go into talion's backstory as it progresses?

If not is wikipedia the best place i can read about it? I really want to know the backstory and am quite perplexed its not revealed yet.

Thanks!

What little backstory you get is done on loading screens with audio flashbacks.

mr stroke

Finally finished this game thanks to the tip from Gaf of branding the bodyguards first before taking on and branding the 5 Warchiefs(and even then it was hard as hell and a pain in the ass)

Probably my GOTY so far, everything was spectacular-graphics(PC) , story, and combat were all ace. One of those games you can't put down no matter how hard it is. Props to Monolith for making the sleeper hit of 2014

kencey

AC1D64547FDA79193FB8EC2BE58E7508083916E4

6FB13F668445D70F972DB5952FCECE1CBBE7A3B3

2EE40B4FD4369A7659E35AA11EB98617FF7DB159

photo-mode is awesome, every game need this.

Hey GAF got the game today, really enjoying. I am however struggling with the dazed enemies which fall to the floor. I see the prompt to execute r2 + square but the majority of the time nothing nothing happens or it takes 2 or 3 attempts. Did anyone else run it this issue. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial vid for the combat that would be great as I feel like I'm playing it the game wrong at the moment

SJRB

Gold Member
Hey GAF got the game today, really enjoying. I am however struggling with the dazed enemies which fall to the floor. I see the prompt to execute r2 + square but the majority of the time nothing nothing happens or it takes 2 or 3 attempts. Did anyone else run it this issue. If anyone can point me in the direction of a good tutorial vid for the combat that would be great as I feel like I'm playing it the game wrong at the moment

The R2 takedowns are unreliable to use in combat because the animation takes quite some time and can get interrupted by another enemy.

The daze effect doesn't last very long, I run into your issue as well at times. There's a fraction between the prompt and the actual animation, if the daze effect wears off between that, nothing happens. It's kinda hard to explain I guess, but the window to perform the execution is kinda small.

The photomode has the same problem I used to run into when I would freeze time for screenshots. Physics going wonky.

Sometimes when you freeze the game, your the cape will freeze in a really odd position. Like such:

15558273845_7d42f24b7a_o.jpg

The only way to fix that is to go into the menu and back out, but you can't do that in photo mode. Luckly with my Cheat Engine free camera, you can :)

15372134248_008ebbea29_o.jpg

That's better. The other benefit to going into the menu is being able to swap to a higher resolution for dat beautiful image quality only downsampling can provide :)

15360165759_d117dce034_o.jpg

15290996699_7a6c997823_o.jpg

15359851819_e73f3d5a74_o.jpg

Gavin115

Unconfirmed Member

I think you can hold down R2 and then just tap square, not sure if you were doing that but if not then it could help.
I do find the ground executions useless though, you almost always get attacked while you're doing it.

I got this game today and played 4 hours but haven't had that issue at all. When near them you HOLD R2 THEN Tap Square, don't press at the same time.

I'm trying to do "Stinking Rebels" but every time I do the warchief's mission he only brings 3 of his bodyguards. I have 5 branded bodyguards assigned to him. I tried last time to activate them with just the ones that came but it didn't give me the cheevo. Any tips?

edit: I guess I have to do the random advancement missions for the two who aren't showing up?

Nevermind I just advanced time at the towers until they were all clear.

Ferrio

Banned
Damn you get so powerful at the end of the game. Shadow Strike xTimes -> Combat Brand x2 -> Resume Shadow Striking

Also about the ending

I like how they addressed Talion losing his powers at the end of this game and not at the beginning of the sequel. Wish more action games would do that instead of an asspull at the beginning of a sequel

So after putting 7 hours on the game timer into this today when I bought it I was sad that even on low my pc had fps problems.
E8400, 4gb ram, 6750hd video card.
Amazon gave me a refund in credit and I just ordered the version with the money. I can't wait til it comes on Sunday it's going to look so much better and be smoother. I'm pretty sure my dodges are failing because of my random fps drops... Kinda sad at losing all my progress but hey, the mobs won't be so buffed from me dying 20 million times.

So somehow I am 10 hrs in and only just killed my first war chief, so good :)

Photo mode is another great addition , can't wait to play with it more .

BouncyFrag

My favorite thing about photomode is the varity of expressions of the orcs at various states of terror. So many details in this game!!

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Hey all! This game sounds like the amazing. For some reason, I had it in my mind that this wasn't on PC. So busy. So happy to learn I was mistaken!

Anyone know where I can the best deal for PC? : D I need this in my veins!

Produce

Finish the game today, clocking in 25 hours approximately. Whilst the final two battles were a bit rushed and disappointing, the game as a whole was fun, with room for development in any sequel that may emerge.

That Level 25 rune trophy was a pain. Ended up chasing a warchief across the entire map before killing him dropped one.

Aske

Amazing. Yes, the final fights needed beef, but all in all this was a hell of a ride. That last line! I know many people must have hated it, but I'm totally on board.

Slightly bland design aside, I grew to really enjoy Talion's character. He was a good foil to Celebrimbor. Troy Baker gave him real personality, and he slots into the LotR universe perfectly.

As someone who loved the books enough to read them several times (including the Silmarilion) and felt Peter Jackson nailed the original movies, but was thoroughly let down by the two Hobbit flicks, this game drew me back into the LotR franchise very pleasantly. I hadn't realized how much I'd missed it.

I've been raving about the gameplay throughout the thread, but a couple of thoughts on presentation: very glad the devs worked with Weta to keep the visual language consistent with the films, desipte not being marketed as part of that franchise. Art direction and music were beyond superb. There could have been more compositions, but I never got tired of the soundtrack.

54 hours, 33 minutes was my final game time. Can't wait for the DLC, and I hope the inevitable sequels build on this glorious foundation. Just spectacular.

Finished the game today. A solid game but with a ton of flaws for me. The story missions were pretty bad, having to follow a guy as he walked through a field slowly followed up by some sort of stealth mission was just not fun. The final boss was laughable and the game just got too repetitive. I had a lot of fun killing the initial captains and warchiefs but it just got tiresome after that because the game was way too easy and the combat system is far too lenient (and it only gets easier), which really sucks here because this game is all about combat.

I'm excited for a potential sequel regardless if they can fix up the combat and add some depth and difficulty to it..

Verendus

Banned
I took the plunge and ordered this game today. Mostly thanks to a silly quote that reminded me of the Godzilla trailer earlier this year. Thank you Oppenheimer. Anyway, I should have it next week and I'm looking forward to dusting off my PS4.

I've read impressions from people who've played it here and there, and I can see that it seems like a mostly solid game. I've seen very little footage of this game. I have just one question:

Is there a snowy area in this game? That's all I want to know. Got to get that expectation out of the way if it's not there.

I took the plunge and ordered this game today. Mostly thanks to a silly quote that reminded me of the Godzilla trailer earlier this year. Thank you Oppenheimer. Anyway, I should have it next week and I'm looking forward to dusting off my PS4.

I've read impressions from people who've played it here and there, and I can see that it seems like a mostly solid game. I've seen very little footage of this game. I have just one question:

Is there a snowy area in this game? That's all I want to know. Got to get that expectation out of the way if it's not there.

No snowy area.

Verendus

Banned
No snowy area.
That was fast. Man, you fast as hell. It's just, I'm trying to be fast at responses, but it's tough. It's tough, you know? Any tips? Any tips you got?

But seriously, thanks for the swift response. At least I know now. Time soon for some Batman action in Middle Earth. Should be good hopefully.

Are the shots themselves more impressive? No. Probably not. Most could still be achieved with photo mode, although quite a few of them would have been ruined by cape physics due to not being able to use the menu reset trick.

But I do think the cheat engine table is pretty damn impressive. I spent a metric fuckton of time on it though. The camera system was tricky and getting timestop to work was hard in this one.

That said, the photo mode still offers more features and the camera is much easier to use. If the devs made a few small changes, the CE table would be useless. But it's cool that they gave us what they did. And if you're crafty\patient enough, you could use both at the same time.

Now it'd be nice if Crytek would tell us if they had plans to do the same for Ryse...

Dysun

I put in about 20 hours before I had my fill. Great game, with many good ideas mixed in with the best of other series.

Hopefully the sequel adds variety to the locations and a better overarching narrative. Well done Monolith

The R2 takedowns are unreliable to use in combat because the animation takes quite some time and can get interrupted by another enemy.

The daze effect doesn't last very long, I run into your issue as well at times. There's a fraction between the prompt and the actual animation, if the daze effect wears off between that, nothing happens. It's kinda hard to explain I guess, but the window to perform the execution is kinda small.

Thanks for the info, I think I know where I'm going wrong now.

Thanks to everyone who posted back

Top Bottom