• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

BouncyFrag

Pre loaded yesterday less then 15 min and that big gulp of 33gb was on my hdd. Now we wait.
o_AWRe_Hs_ARBlb.gif

soon

Who cares about fun and gameplay!?... Next gen yoo, counting pixels is where it's at.

Well if someone creates a digital foundry thread on neogaf about mordor it is used for technical discussion such as framerate , resolution and comparisons between console and pc. If it bothers some users then they can stay out those threads.

Of course if things get too rowdy mods will take appropriate action. There is nothing wrong with talking and comparing performance in a well moderated environment.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I love how they make a huge fuss about:

1) his name being Strider
2) him being a Ranger

Neither come into play in the entire trilogy ever. It's instantly forgotten after it is said.

Pretty sure the fact he's a ranger is the reason he's able to get an army together to save Minas Tirith at the last minute. The books are different from the movies in that the ghost army isn't a win button but just something used to scare the shit out of the orcs while the ranger army carves them up.

Autofokus

It's either going to be 1080p / 30 fps locked or 900p / 60 fps with (I would assume) a more consistent 60fps than the PS4 version like we saw with Diablo 3 before it was patched. (Because of the lower resolution, obv)

Which was never the case. A bug caused those inconsistent framerates (PS4), which got fixed with the day1 patch.

dreamfall

Going to Pre-load tomorrow, bought it for PC.

Worried a bit how my 680 2GB will handle it, but I'm excited even not as a fan of LotR.

I hope at the end of this generation we're looking at a new franchise.

And not one of those 'underrated games that never got a sequel' threads

addyb

I'm really intrigued about the nemesis system. I have been reading bits here and there but can anyone give me a more of a rundown as to what features it does contain. Like I get that the orcs can go up in rank etc but I also hear that you target them for like assassination or am I wrong there. Sorry it's a bit of a random post but I guess I'm just looking for things to be clearer.

Kard8p3

I'm really intrigued about the nemesis system. I have been reading bits here and there but can anyone give me a more of a rundown as to what features it does contain. Like I get that the orcs can go up in rank etc but I also hear that you target them for like assassination or am I wrong there. Sorry it's a bit of a random post but I guess I'm just looking for things to be clearer.

Yes, you can target orcs for assassination and replace him with one of his bodyguards that you control.

Kaversmed

I'm still wondering what the advantage of killing an orc over dominating them is, beside the sheer satisfaction of seeing their heads roll?

I mean, when you dominate them you take over a position in the hierarchy and can also use the dominated orc to attack another warchief. When I kill an orc, he goes away and another orc takes his place. What's the point of killing them then?

I'm gonna cut off all their head regardless of any advantage, though, just because it looks so damn cool :D

Kard8p3

I'm still wondering what the advantage of killing an orc over dominating them is, beside the sheer satisfaction of seeing their heads roll?

I mean, when you dominate them you take over a position in the hierarchy and can also use the dominated orc to attack another warchief. When I kill an orc, he goes away and another orc takes his place. What's the point of killing them then?

I'm gonna cut off all their head regardless of any advantage, though, just because it looks so damn cool :D

If you control a bodyguard but not the warchief you can have the bodyguard betray his master, kill him, and take his place.

Einhandr

I believe killing them nets you a rune for your sword whereas dominating them doesn't.

SparkTR

At least you have it preloaded, GMG won't give keys yet.

It makes me so happy to hear PC users gripe about having to run it on low settings. I finally feel like consoles have (in all but rare cases of extravagant spending) caught up to PCs. Yea!

Well, I'd hope they caught up to a bit more than low settings. This time last generation console versions were pretty much matching PCs max settings, while this time around PC Ultra usually runs rings around every other version.

Kaversmed

If you control a bodyguard but not the warchief you can have the bodyguard betray his master, kill him, and take his place.

But why not just let the bodyguard betray the warchief and then dominate the warchief as well? Two dominated orcs are better than one, right?

I believe killing them nets you a rune for your sword whereas dominating them doesn't.

Yeah that's a valid point.

[NaK]

For those of you wondering about the hud and gore, these are the gameplay options.
ibuOZ7bAQYK7dy.jpg

The controls.
iv3HEsXgasoqz.jpg

I like the loading screen. Memories and dialouge are played thorugh the speaker on the DS4.
iExqUBgnPbRKM.jpg

mrqs

[NaK];131859965 said:
For those of you wondering about the hud and gore, these are the gameplay options.

(...)

Do you know about the framerate? Can you tell if it's 60 or 30?

Thanks, great screens

mrqs

The guy on the stream insisted -after getting asked multiple times- that it's 60fps. I couldn't judge by the stream, but at least I never saw tearing.

I found out that it runs at an unlocked 60fps. I'm expecting a few drops, but consistent. If not so, will be a shame.

Cheers!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Can someone explain by 60fps is so important? I don't get it

same with the 1080p vs 900p arguements.

[NaK]

Do you know about the framerate? Can you tell if it's 60 or 30?

Thanks, great screens

Im honestly not sure. It runs very smooth though, and I've only experienced some minor slow down 2-3 times in 7 hours, all during wraith interrigations.

I just have to share this aswell.

After 10+ deaths against the same fucking enemy, I finally managed to kill him today. The fucker was immune to most of my attacks and always had a pack of orcs with him whenever I met him. I've met him several times since the start of the game and never managed to kill him.
I've honestly never held such a grudge against a video game character before. He has leveled from 5 to 20 and caused me so much problems.
I spent 3 hours this afternoon, killing off his captains and leveling up, just to be absolutely butchered when I gathered the courage to attack him again,

Then I interrogated an informer and learned that he fears Caragors (the bear/hound things) and that he's susceptible to stealth kills.
So I tamed a beast and let it loose inside his camp after tracking him there, watched as he fled, and followed him at a distance.
When he was alone on a cliff, I snuck up behind him and slit his throat.

God daaaaaaamn, it felt so good.
I love the nemisis system.

[NaK];131862797 said:
Im honestly not sure. It runs very smooth though, and I've only experienced some minor slow down 2-3 times in 7 hours, all during wraith interrigations.

I just have to share this aswell.

After 10+ deaths against the same fucking enemy, I finally managed to kill him today. The fucker was immune to most of my attacks and always had a pack of orcs with him whenever I met him. I've met him several times since the start of the game and never managed to kill him.
I've honestly never held such a grudge against a video game character before. He has leveled from 5 to 20 and caused me so much problems.
I spent 3 hours this afternoon, killing off his captains and leveling up, just to be absolutely butchered when I gathered the courage to attack him again,

Then I interrogated an informer and learned that he fears Caragors (the bear/hound things) and that he's susceptible to stealth kills.
So I tamed a beast and let it loose inside his camp after tracking him there, watched as he fled, and followed him at a distance.
When he was alone on a cliff, I snuck up behind him and slit his throat.

God daaaaaaamn, it felt so good.
I love the nemisis system.

I did my own version of the Banderas gif after reading this post. The Nemesis System sounds incredible.

Top Bottom