• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor |OT| One Title to rule them all

Not gonna lie, I think it would be hella awesome if Monolith did a Predator open world action RPG, they clearly know what they're doing.

Conan man...Just switch Mordor for a Hyborian kingdom and the orcs and uruks with warlords and mages and it would be the best Conan game ever.

Solidsoul

Banned
Well, I'll come in an offer the opposite side of the spectrum. If the game wasn't set in the Tolkien verse I wouldn't be buying it.

I've been asking for a Lord of the Rings game like this for a long time.

Kard8p3

Well, I'll come in an offer the opposite side of the spectrum. If the game wasn't set in the Tolkien verse I wouldn't be buying it.

Same here.

This gen is amazing to me. This is the reason I bought the destiny ps4 bundle lol.

HowZatOZ

Banned

There are a ton of people just like you, me included, that love the source material and have been waiting for something like this. Ever since those god tier PlayStation 2 titles, I've wanted more Lord of the Rings and this looks to be delivering.

I'm really hoping they achieve great success, and begin a franchise like Batman that improves on mechanics that didn't quite work but place it in new areas. The Lord of the Rings is a gigantic pot of amazing tales, so they could literally go anywhere and do anything.

They should have just called the game "Shadow of Mordor". Every time I try and find the game in my Steam library I go for the S games instead of the M games.

Solidsoul

Banned
Same here.

This gen is amazing to me. This is the reason I bought the destiny ps4 bundle lol.

There are a ton of people just like you, me included, that love the source material and have been waiting for something like this. Ever since those god tier PlayStation 2 titles, I've wanted more Lord of the Rings and this looks to be delivering.

I'm really hoping they achieve great success, and begin a franchise like Batman that improves on mechanics that didn't quite work but place it in new areas. The Lord of the Rings is a gigantic pot of amazing tales, so they could literally go anywhere and do anything.

Awesome to hear others share the same enthusiasm. The PS2 titles (I played on gamecube) were freaking amazing back in the day. I literally described the exact type of lord of the rings game I wanted to my friends 3 years ago, and minus the nemesis system this is pretty much exactly what I said.

My fingers are crossed the X1 version is good. This is the only legitimate time I wished I had a PS4 just in case there's a problem with the X1 version.

Kard8p3

Awesome to hear others share the same enthusiasm. The PS2 titles (I played on gamecube) were freaking amazing back in the day. I literally described the exact type of lord of the rings game I wanted to my friends 3 years ago, and minus the nemesis system this is pretty much exactly what I said.

My fingers are crossed the X1 version is good. This is the only legitimate time I wished I had a PS4 just in case there's a problem with the X1 version.

i fucking loved those games, always would pick Legolas when I could LOL.

MS friend playing the game isn't too happy with the image. Says it's definitely nowhere close to 60fps that he can feel, feels it's much closer to 30. Image is somewhat blurry, "extremely so" at some points, on foliage especially. Distinct lack of AA too. I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

MS friend playing the game isn't too happy with the image. Says it's definitely nowhere close to 60fps that he can feel, feels it's much closer to 30. Image is somewhat blurry, "extremely so" at some points, on foliage especially. Distinct lack of AA too. I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

Ewwww... sounds bad. Hopefully there is a patch.

Skyzard

Banned

If it is 720/30 that'd be really bad. That's a huge downgrade from 1080/60, although I doubt it's locked 60 if the xbox is having such trouble.

Console warrior meltdowns incoming?

Xando

Doesnt sound too good.
Lets hope we hear something from DF tomorrow or tuesday.

meh, if I get really impatient while my pc is being fixed, I will still pick it up on xbox one

antitrop

720p
30fps
FXAA

The sky is falling

(I'm just kidding, it's probably not that bad)

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
For the people that just can't help themselves and need to pre-order, how much do you trust that person's assessment about those kinds of aspects of a game?

I sense a shitstorm brewing.

hwy_61

Banned

Damn...what a bummer.

MS friend
playing the game isn't too happy with the image. Says it's definitely nowhere close to 60fps that he can feel, feels it's much closer to 30. Image is somewhat blurry, "extremely so" at some points, on foliage especially. Distinct lack of AA too. I guess we'll find out Tuesday.

When you say MS friend I am assuming you mean someone with a XB1? If so no wonder they embargo video reviews.

jett

D-Member
He said he was downsampling from 2720x1700 because the game wasn't properly recognizing his native resolution. He said he was getting above 45 FPS at 4K. I can't verify his claims but he's not saying he needs a 290x @ 1920x1080.

Everything set to ultra except textures and downsampling I get an average framerate of just over 60 with some minor drops to ~50

Aight, I may have misread what he meant.

brennok

Neo Member
Conan man...Just switch Mordor for a Hyborian kingdom and the orcs and uruks with warlords and mages and it would be the best Conan game ever.

They could pick any theme and I would be interested whether it was Conan, ninjas, vampires, werewolves, etc.

I just hope the nemesis system sticks around and doesn't go the way of Raven's GHOUL or Red Faction's destruction.

Nokterian

So getting my LOTR fix watched the day before that Fellowship and todat The Two Towers and tomorrow Return of the King. Sums it up nicely before Shadows of Mordor released and i get a used copy of Battle for Middle Earth 2 at long last.

VinFTW

This is why owning and loving both of my systems is the only way to go for me. Whenever a game comes out and the performance/IQ is big, I get it on PS4, if it's like, say Destiny, I'll play with my controller of choice.

Was getting it on PS4 regardless, but really appreciate you giving us the heads up! I'll let my brother know. He's got a mega PC but likes buying games on X1 for the trade-in option.

So getting my LOTR fix watched the day before that Fellowship and todat The Two Towers and tomorrow Return of the King. Sums it up nicely before Shadows of Mordor released and i get a used copy of Battle for Middle Earth 2 at long last.

Great. Thanks dude... Now I have to watch all 3 again for the millionth time :p

RoKKeR

Ugh. Damn it.

Guess we should wait for DF but that's extremely disappointing.

They should have just called the game "Shadow of Mordor". Every time I try and find the game in my Steam library I go for the S games instead of the M games.

But then they wouldn't have been able to have the inevitable sequel Middle-earth: The Fields of Ithilien or whatever.

Dam, I wish they would tell us... I want to preorder this game to get the preorder bonus but I only have an Xbox 1 right now and if it's some ridiculous difference I'll just wait till I get a ps4 to play this game.

Played it a EGX today and it was badass. I'm certain absolutely everyone who played the 10 minutes or so we got did something different.

VinFTW

That's what I'm talking about!

No survivors!

tumblr_inline_n7yjfplYB21sz580o.gif

Top Bottom