• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

mazillion

awww, not "retrying" the mission, but rather starting it anew gave me new champions, except for the last ...

now his only "weakness" is vs. beasts, but he's also a "beast slayer" who one shotted my caragor... arf

i mean, seriously, i don't know how to beat that guy
i just fought him SUPER conservatively (for like 10 minutes), but after 3 executions he adapts to me leaping over him. he counters executions from the front, and after he lands one hit on me, i'm dead due to his "no chance" trait.

AND FUCK ME FOR HAVING LISTENING TO HIS BULLSHIT TWICE EACH ATTEMPT
Dang that sucks.

I must have gotten really lucky because that mission was a breeze for me even on nemesis. First guy was low level. The next was had a fear of pinning with arrows so I just cheesed that. The third was weak to arrows and dazed by headshots soooooo yeah... and the last was weak to beasts so I just unleashed all the caragors and watched the chaos ensue.

I get where you're coming from but believe me, you aren't missing out on anything story related really. I played SoM and don't remember shit from that game, but I do agree that the first missions in SoW probably feels a bit jarring for newcomers, considering returning players already got to "know" Talion and Celebrimbor and their relationship (still pretty shallow).

That said, you could still play through SoM since it's a pretty good game but because both SoM and SoW feels much the same in both story, tone and gameplay, there is a big chance you would get tired of the formula. I don't think I would be able to play both games right after each other.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, my concern is I'd get burned out as well, but I usually don't play two open world games back 2 back anyhow, so if I decide to just run through SoM first, I won't be getting to SoW until at least the new year.

I actually restarted a playthrough of SoM right now and I'm about an hour in. Playing it has me leaning towards just finishing the game I already own, and waiting for a GotY edition of SoW. That should be enough time to let the fatigue of SoM wear off.

Carcetti

When am I supposed to get my nemesis? I'm now in Seresomething, the snowy place, and I still haven't seen anything resembling an orc who comes back repeatedly.

Maybe it's my insane bodyguard who kills everything I come across. The guy has poison weapons, caragor pack, and a pet graug.

Jamiaro

Bought the game yesterday. Decided to play on Normal-difficulty, how much will I miss with the Nemesis-system? Not interested in ending up with immune orcs I cant beat. :p

Fliesen

Dang that sucks.

I must have gotten really lucky because that mission was a breeze for me even on nemesis. First guy was low level. The next was had a fear of pinning with arrows so I just cheesed that. The third was weak to arrows and dazed by headshots soooooo yeah... and the last was weak to beasts so I just unleashed all the caragors and watched the chaos ensue.

well, during my most recent (20 minute!) attempt he:

* adapted to me jumping over him
* adapted to me stunning him

he's immune to ranged
he takes reduced damage from fire (i used up all fireplaces in the arena, anyways)
he one-shot counters my caragor
he counters my executions from the front
he has a shield that blocks my sword slashes from the front
he's immune to stealth

i can't get behind him due to him adapting to my leaps and stuns

I mean, seriously, i'm running out of ideas. Am i missing any parts of my move set? - what other chances do i have to get behind an enemy beyond leaping over him? or stunning him?
i pretty much got ALL combat skills.

oUtHUEe.jpg

(barely and fire damage and counters executions from the front)

uynOxBf.jpg

(shield in the front, triple strike pole weapon, insta kill (no second wind) )

xlK1z1r.jpg

(arrow and therefore shadow strike proof, but also 'lock in place by shooting his feet' proof. Stealth proof)

UF5BZ6j.jpg

i mean, i'm sure i'll eventually beat him, but this randomness kinda makes me hit my head against a wall for over 2 hours now. And i'm sure as shit not gonna restart, as i've already sunk like 15 hours into this playthrough.

Bought the game yesterday. Decided to play on Normal-difficulty, how much will I miss with the Nemesis-system? Not interested in ending up with immune orcs I cant beat. :p

don't worry. i'm playing on normal. :p

I mean, seriously, i'm running out of ideas. Am i missing any parts of my move set? - what other chances do i have to get behind an enemy beyond leaping over him? or stunning him?
Yeah, that doesn't sound very fun.

You can make grog barrels explode with poison if you poison them first, then shoot them.

A few other things to try:

- Shoulder charge, but that generally doesn't work against defender captains
- Mighty Shot + explosion mod (shoot the ground)
- Wraith Stun (and possibly an elemental mod if you have one)
- Farm up Wrath
- Don't stun him early on, only when you have an execution

Fliesen

Yeah, that doesn't sound very fun.

You can make grog barrels explode with poison if you poison them first, then shoot them.

A few other things to try:

- Shoulder charge, but that generally doesn't work against defender captains
- Mighty Shot + explosion mod (shoot the ground)
- Wraith Stun (and possibly an elemental mod if you have one)
- Farm up Wrath
- Don't stun him early on, only when you have an execution

yup, that's what i've been doing for my last attempt. got him down to like 5-10% ... and then the whole "run away run away run away hit his minions to regain life" routine started again.

TikeMyson

well, during my most recent (20 minute!) attempt he:

* adapted to me jumping over him
* adapted to me stunning him

he's immune to ranged
he takes reduced damage from fire (i used up all fireplaces in the arena, anyways)
he one-shot counters my caragor
he counters my executions from the front
he has a shield that blocks my sword slashes from the front
he's immune to stealth

i can't get behind him due to him adapting to my leaps and stuns

https://i.imgur.com/oUtHUEe.jpg
(barely and fire damage and counters executions from the front)

https://i.imgur.com/uynOxBf.jpg
(shield in the front, triple strike pole weapon, insta kill (no second wind) )

https://i.imgur.com/xlK1z1r.jpg
(arrow and therefore shadow strike proof, but also 'lock in place by shooting his feet' proof. Stealth proof)
https://i.imgur.com/UF5BZ6j.jpg

i mean, i'm sure i'll eventually beat him, but this randomness kinda makes me hit my head against a wall for over 2 hours now. And i'm sure as shit not gonna restart, as i've already sunk like 15 hours into this playthrough.

don't worry. i'm playing on normal. :p

What are the tips against him? Is he afraid of Morgai flies or explosions or something?

ryseing

Quick logistical question. I'm at the point of no return. Can I go back and do Shadows of the Past later or no?

Those missions are cool but I kinda just want to get on with Shadow Wars.

Alright, it's bad enough they made Shelob a sexy lady.

But (Web memories spoiler) she's
Sauron's jilted lover.

COME THE FUCK ON MONOLITH

Kaversmed

Quick logistical question. I'm at the point of no return. Can I go back and do Shadows of the Past later or no?

Those missions are cool but I kinda just want to get on with Shadow Wars.

Alright, it's bad enough they made Shelob a sexy lady.

But (Web memories spoiler) she's
Sauron's jilted lover.

COME THE FUCK ON MONOLITH

Those are the ones with Celebrimbor, no? Yeah you can do them later

Edit: Wait, point of no return? I'm not that far in, so I'm not entirely sure what you mean and how it impacts the end game, sorry. If it's like the first game, everything will be available after the end of the story, though, so I wouldn't worry.

ryseing

Please check my edit in my last post. Might have jumped the gun on my answer.

No worries. There's a fairly explicitly defined point of no return (mission The Bright Lord) and from what I've gathered the Shadow Wars post game content is substantially different from everything that came before, hence me asking if those missions would be available. It sounds like the endgame is nothing like Mordor's.

Ambushes are awesome, so far Ive been ambushed by a butcher because I shot meat to draw in caragors, he was angry I wasted his work.
Got ambushed by a Warchief because I was going after his bodyguards.
Then got ambushed by a "poisoner" when I poisoned some grog, he even said I used the wrong amount of poison.
Really messes with my plans but adds to the variety of gameplay.

Fliesen

What are the tips against him? Is he afraid of Morgai flies or explosions or something?

I think it's

"damaged by Executions" (yeah, right - he counters them from the front...)
"damaged by poison" (of which i don't really have a source)
"damaged by ... beasts" i think (which, once again, he's got a trait that lets him counter those easily)

Sadly he's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

Pheace

Nice, just opened my first Spoils of War chest (from online challenges), 2 epics and one legendary follower + 2 scrolls

ps, having a bodyguard that summons his own pet Graug is delicious :p

Kaversmed

Nice, just opened my first Spoils of War chest (from online challenges), 2 epics and one legendary follower + 2 scrolls

ps, having a bodyguard that summons his own pet Graug is delicious :p

Yup, that’s my bodyguard as well. Mine also has a pack of Caragors following him lol. I’m basically invincible with him around. Will lose my shit if he dies hahah

Kaversmed

I'm honestly more worried of him betraying me xD

Yeah me too, although he’s been with me forever so I’m starting to think I’m the only family he’s got by now :/

Also, when I “got him” he was an Epic captain and had to shame him to recruit him, but shaming him made him a Legendary orc - I didn’t know this was possible. I’m still not sure what shaming actually do beside lower their level. Does it shuffle some of their perks as well?

Okay trying to take over my 2nd fortress the overlord is level 24 im level 27, he has a gang of those big troll orcs that never stop coming, immune to arrows and executions and regens health… how the hell am I suppose to beat this guy by myself?

Super frustrating, doing online stuff to get better gear…

Pheace

Yeah me too, although he’s been with me forever so I’m starting to think I’m the only family he’s got by now :/

Also, when I “got him” he was an Epic captain and had to shame him to recruit him, but shaming him made him a Legendary orc - I didn’t know this was possible. I’m still not sure what shaming actually do beside lower their level. Does it shuffle some of their perks as well?

I'm only aware of the basics, lowers level, chance to remove 'Iron Will', change to change their personality (Shamed, Deranged etc)

That Arena Story mission fight was tough. It is like the difficulty became Nemesis 2x.

My nemesis was a stealth archer from the first game. He could not be executed, he could not be vaulted over, he used fire arrows and was only weak against poison (the one skill I did not had)

This is the first time in games like this where I had to lower the difficulty down towards normal. That difficulty spike was beyond ridiculous.

I saw an Ogre with a hexagon floating above him and didn't know what it meant so made sure to let him kill me. He breaks my sword in the process but when I go take vengeance I got it back leveled up to lvl 40, I'm lvl 28 and the sword was lvl 21 before. Worth it.

pitchfork

Leaps off a tower, double jumps over a patrol, pauses in Wraith form mid-air to draw bow before dive bombing and detonating a nearby campfire surrounded by orcs taking them all out in the process, decapitates a Nearby Uruk with an execution and then strolls calmly to the next objective

God I love this game!

The stories of people and the encounters thanks to the Nemesis system is truly great to read.

I am sitting here at work, scrolling through this thread and if you ever need to promote this game towards a friend just show him/her this thread.

I find it absolutely mind boggling that no other developer used this system in their game.

The stories of people and the encounters thanks to the Nemesis system is truly great to read.

I am sitting here at work, scrolling through this thread and if you ever need to promote this game towards a friend just show him/her this thread.

I find it absolutely mind boggling that no other developer used this system in their game.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen actually used some of it. First game I've seen grab some inspiration from the Nemesis system.

Fluloco

Word. A game like Mafia III would have improved greatly by using the Nemesis system.

Here is a place where I've been trying to get them all gathered up for people who enjoy reading them!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446455

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen actually used some of it. First game I've seen grab some inspiration from the Nemesis system.

I did not know this. Here's hoping X-Com 2 will have a sweet deal during December.

Here is a place where I've been trying to get them all gathered up for people who enjoy reading them!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1446455

Great idea! I will definitely contribute if I had an amazing encounter.

PepperedHam

The story is not so great but it's still annoying to get something spoiled by a YouTube recommended video.

Is this a big one? Late game? Earlier in the game? Obviously only click this if you're comfortable with story spoilers or have finished well into the game just in case:
Bruz the Chopper dying.

At what point in the story can you start dominating orcs? I've been getting sidetracked hardcore since I started but I want to get to the part where I start putting together armies.

Wait, they put a skill to automatically pick up loot at the end of a skill tree? What a asshole thing to do.
That was the first skill I went for. Had to level up a number of times to get it, but it was worth going after. You just need to be right next to a loot drop and you'll automatically pick it up, even in combat.

The story is not so great but it's still annoying to get something spoiled by a YouTube recommended video.

Is this a big one? Late game? Earlier in the game? Obviously only click this if you're comfortable with story spoilers or have finished well into the game just in case:
Bruz the Chopper dying.

I tend to delete watch history on youtube. Got spoiled by the plot in AC: Blackflag last time because of my watch history

hbkdx12

Fuck zog and fuck his podiums. Fuck that whole mission string. Had to cheese the last encounter by shadow pulling all the captains to the top of the arena and taking them out 1 on 1 and then after purifying the podiums I just keep shooting zog with arrows since he can't climb the arena walls. But at least I get to call in my own drake now

Ok, bit confused at the moment, would appreciate the help.

- Can you still command orcs to go on missions? I only get the option to set them as a bodyguard.
- I opened some chests (should I hold onto them or are they set to a static level?) but how do I even deploy them in a region? I can only destroy them for gear.

Game's a lot of fun. Had this awesome terror tribe fellow who said he was a 1000 years old and he had been resurrected multiple times by Sauron's necromancer. I wanted to recruit him but he ended up deranged from a shame, it was kinda sad and funny to see him ask me to kill him and constantly begging for rest. His blood brother (a fucking pirate at that) even called me sadistic for what I had done to his brother.

TikeMyson

I think it's

"damaged by Executions" (yeah, right - he counters them from the front...)
"damaged by poison" (of which i don't really have a source)
"damaged by ... beasts" i think (which, once again, he's got a trait that lets him counter those easily)

Sadly he's a pretty cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything

Damn, pretty tough guy... can't you get behind him by pressing dodge when he is attacking?

Do enemy orcs scale with your level? I know loot and stuff from loot boxes do, but do enemies just naturally in the game scale with you?

I'm really reluctant to drop my current ring because it has this awesome upgrade that gives me arrow shots on draining people and I prefer dominating with drain over the perk that does the same.

About that orc special DLC: I couldn't find anywhere in all stores. It was supposed to be paid first then it became free as far as I followed. Where can we find it? Is it true that it is one playthrough only and that if you restart it, you can't replay it?

I'm sort of interested in picking this up, might ask for it for my b-day. My question is how ignorable is story stuff? Because it all sounds pretty bad, both narratively and gameplaywise. I just wanna fuck around with the nemesis system.

Also curious did they get around the exploit that immunities only work on Talion, so they can be circumvented by using an orc to kill another orc?

Top Bottom