• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Middle-earth: Shadow of War |OT| Attempted Mordor

The combat is ass when it comes to fighting things that are a higher level than you. Just unlocked two zones, and I guess I went to the wrong one. Never really had problems with dying before, but this bullshit where the shield guys can adapt and basically be invincible is dumb as hell. This dude regenerates health for some reason too, and is death defying. Fuck what the game developers call "difficulty". This isn't difficult, this is bad game design.

Ahm...things that are higher level than you should kick your ass. Otherwise levels would be pointless.

Either way, arrows to feet, status effects, dominion, bodyguard(s), infiltration, ambush. Quite a few tools left in the box.

Also if they're not frost-immune, they're a joke.

Wtf, why does shaming an enemy send them away? Why would I want to do that? I wanted to kill him. Ugh

Ahm...things that are higher level than you should kick your ass. Otherwise levels would be pointless.

Either way, arrows to feet, status effects, dominion, bodyguard(s), infiltration, ambush. Quite a few tools left in the box.
He's not kicking my ass because he's stronger than me. He's kicking my ass because he has bullshit unexplained mechanics like randomly regenerating all of his health.

The combat is ass when it comes to fighting things that are a higher level than you. Just unlocked two zones, and I guess I went to the wrong one. Never really had problems with dying before, but this bullshit where the shield guys can adapt and basically be invincible is dumb as hell. This dude regenerates health for some reason too, and is death defying. Fuck what the game developers call "difficulty". This isn't difficult, this is bad game design.

Get one of your guys to go on a mission against him. Then get, like, 5 more guys to ambush him. Then show up with your bodyguards. Then summon a Graug.

Seriously, not everything needs to be fought one on one. You have an army, use it. The orcs never become immune to other orcs.

Jaraghan

Can anyone help me here? I'm in Gorgoroth, and in the middle of the map is a red zone, which I assume is an outpost. But there is no missiom to lure out the outpost captain.

Get one of your guys to go on a mission against him. Then get, like, 5 more guys to ambush him. Then show up with your bodyguards. Then summon a Graug.

Seriously, not everything needs to be fought one on one. You have an army, use it. The orcs never become immune to other orcs.

The strategy elements of this game are vastly under appreciated. Picking the right orc for bodyguards. Sending the right orcs to jump other ones using strengths and weaknesses. It's fantastic really.

Wtf, why does shaming an enemy send them away? Why would I want to do that? I wanted to kill him. Ugh

He's not kicking my ass because he's stronger than me. He's kicking my ass because he has bullshit unexplained mechanics like randomly regenerating all of his health.

It's explained in his intel, buddy. It also says it's interruptible, just check under his Determination ability.

So I meet my nemesis from Shadow of Mordor earlier today and boy he beat my ass. It was so damn crazy. this game is really great. Loving my time with it so far.

Have you tried doing something that doesn't involve just bashing the captain with your sword? I've found this game, more than the first, really punishes you for trying to just duel everything to death. I find it much easier and much more fun to use hit and run tactics on any captain who is obviously well suited to brawling, especially in an enemy stronghold where you'll constantly be pelted during the fight.

Really I don't think this game is perfect but I feel like if you refuse to try different things when the game presents you with a captain that really can't be brute forced down you're just gonna have a bad time.

Eleuin

What's up with the wording on some of these upgrades

The game clearly tells you that you can only have one equipped at a time

But under drain - bright lords wrath "gain full health and some wrath when you drain or dominate "

How are you supposed to dominate, the video even shows it working as well?

What's up with the wording on some of these upgrades

The game clearly tells you that you can only have one equipped at a time

But under drain - bright lords wrath "gain full health and some wrath when you drain or dominate "

How are you supposed to dominate, the video even shows it working as well?

Shadow Dominate, I guess. Shit, I didn't even realize dominate wasn't just a standard part of your kit after it's unlocked.

The strategy elements of this game are vastly under appreciated. Picking the right orc for bodyguards. Sending the right orcs to jump other ones using strengths and weaknesses. It's fantastic really.

This literally saved me earlier. Was up against the Infested warlord and I just could NOT beat him one on one. Dude was ranged immune, frost immune, fire immune, and hit like a truck with knives. No second chances either. Died 3 times in pretty rapid succession trying to force my way through.

So I took a look at my guys and realized one in particular only really had one weakness, a fear of ghuls. He was poison immune, (good 'cause the Warlord was poison element, so poison vents everywhere), ranged, immune, fire immune, an Olog, a Destroyer, and just for shits and giggles he had Enrage Everything.

Made him my bodyguard, took only one try to finish the siege. Sadly the Warlord died before I could recruit him, but such is life.

Kind of wish their was a difficulty higher than Nemesis. It was great for awhile but once you get a lot of the skills unlocked and get a handle on the combat it levels out. It's still very enjoyable but I haven't died in awhile.

Shadow Dominate, I guess. Shit, I didn't even realize dominate wasn't just a standard part of your kit after it's unlocked.

Yeah, it's kind of dumb. It makes the other options in that branch basically unusable.

I got to act two last night and a part of me is just burnt out now? Like I just have no motivation to go on which is a shame since I was enjoying the game so far.

smurfx

get some go again
conquered the first area finally. that was a lot of fun. hoping some of the area's captain and warchiefs are a little harder to kill. i see a lot of weapons upgrade when you do stuff with level 40 orcs so i'm hoping i start coming across them soon.

I got to act two last night and a part of me is just burnt out now? Like I just have no motivation to go on which is a shame since I was enjoying the game so far.

the game picks up when you get upgrades and start doing seiges... also Eltariel missions are fun.

Nothing beats leaping off drakes while its munching on some orc, aiming at enemies mid-air and shadow strikin em' and shadow return to drake.
11f.gif

ryseing

the game picks up when you get upgrades and start doing seiges... also Eltariel missions are fun.

Nothing beats leaping off drakes, aiming at enemies mid-air and shadow strikin em'.
11f.gif

Drakes are easily the best part of the game. Every fantasy game should allow you to jump on a dragon or the equivalent and fuck shit up.

Why are you given the option to dominate captains from other people's fortresses if you don't actually even get them?

Also, why level 10 chests as rewards if the objective is to kill a bunch of level 20s? Do the chest level drops increase with my assault rating?

Pheace

Got a Legendary and was immediately disappointed because he has a mortal weakness but I think I fixed it because it's Deserter (Flees in terror when witnessing the death of an allied captain), so I made him the fortress Overlord, that's always 1 on 1 with the Bright Lord

Why are you given the option to dominate captains from other people's fortresses if you don't actually even get them?

Also, why level 10 chests as rewards if the objective is to kill a bunch of level 20s? Do the chest level drops increase with my assault rating?

They stay with you during the fight, and it might also be an easier way to deal with them (like they might be terrified, or might be enraged by mortal wounds.)

And yeah, as do the difficulties of the castle. You'll generally be facing guys who are stronger than the chests you'll receive, though eventually you'll at least be receiving rewards appropriate to your level. I never really took opponent enemy as an absolute indicator of where I should be.

The first AI stronghold defense seems broken as fuck. Why do all your leaders suddenly become completely useless? I went across my courtyard to go kill a commander, I look back, and three level 30 dudes died to one level 20 who had full health...

Would legitimately be better off disabling all my defenses for these quests.

Edit: I really wish you could skip all this dialogue banter from the commanders. This is getting really annoying.

Tahnit

Banned
I just dominated a captain and Bruz tells me to go send him to attack. So i do. The mission that was chosen was a catagor mission......that my captain is deathly afraid of. Soon as 1 catagor came out of the cage he bolted...

I fucking love this game.

Wait, they put a skill to automatically pick up loot at the end of a skill tree? What a asshole thing to do.

I didn't even notice it until I saw your post but yeah, even at the end of it, it wasn't too difficult to get, I still haven't moved very far into the story and I didn't pay attention to whatever level requirement there was but I imagine you can get it by or before level 10. I just need to remember I don't have to push a button to pick them up anymore.

Kaversmed

Holy shit, that first Overlord of Act 2! xD

Guys, I need your advice on two combat skills from the skill tree because I have tried them all, but can't figure out what the best one is really. It's these two (skill tree spoiler):

1. EXECUTION

When your Might is full, aim at an enemy and use the skill to execute them instantly.

Execution child tree - only one can be active at a time

• Grim Resolve -
    Gain Might each time you are damaged in combat.
  • Secret Might -
    Gain Might for kills while remaining undetected.
  • Fatal Might -
    Successful sword strikes gain much more might. Might will reset after taking damage, missing an attack, or exiting combat.
2. BRUTAL AGGRESSION

Might can be double-charged, enabling Brutal Executions which cause nearby enemies to flee in terror.

Brutal aggression child tree - only one can be active at a time

• Wraith Execution -
    Press the button to chain executions to additional enemies. Consumes Focus for each additional target.
  • Ceaseless Might -
    Skills that require Might no longer fully deplete Might.

I've mostly been going with Fatal Might + Wraith Execution but find Fatal Might hard to use when surrounded by many foes simply because it's hard not to get hit but I find using Grim Resolve instead just makes gaining Might take way too long.

So what combo of the above two skills are you finding to be the best? :)

nicknamehere

Neo Member
I have noticed that some moves can't be countered by adapted-to-everything captains:

- Talon strike
- Elven light
- Mighty shot
- Grabbing an orc and throwing it at him

Am I missing more?

Coolluck

Got to level 24 today and am about to take on the next stronghold in about an hour or two of gameplay. I find it a little weird how few story missions there have been at the snow area so far. I feel like Nemesis difficulty is going to make this take much longer than I was anticipating.

How often do y'all buy siege upgrades?

Kaztinka

Should I play this on Nemesis difficulty?
I platinumed the original and loved it, but I don't know if I have it in me to invest a lot of time on this one
like, does the Nemesis difficulty get extremely grindy and unreasonably hard, or is it balanced enough?
It says that the game is supposed to be built on it, so that's a relief

I shamed a legendary so I could go dominate him later, because he was a higher level than me and I couldn't dominate him, and I'm pretty sure he ran off and took my stronghold.

Edit: Wait, why did I just have to buy back siege upgrades I already had? Are these consumables?

Jintor

Wow I got stuck against a total asshole of an overlord. Dude started with 5 ogres, kept summoning reinforcements, and had a bunch of archers up on his wall as well. He himself wasn't that tough but anytime you'd get near the little weasel his ogres would launch giant AOE club attacks and half the time trying to dodge out of it would get you into the shitty 'lol can't mantle this' animation. Hell by the fourth time he was sick of seeing me as much as I was sick of seeing him lol.

I wish I had more interesting stories to tell about the nemesis system. I don't seem to have a consistent nemesis so far and orcs might as well be interchangeable for all the good they do. I'm at the 25-30 level and nobody has really interesting weaknesses or strengths or there's not that many ways to use them sometimes. What's the point of 'scared of spiders' if i don't have any spider powers and they're gonna sit in a throne room of a box all day?

oh well, i like finishing off lists i guess

Tizoc

I just now realized that recruiting orcs doesnt have them drop gear
I guess i should nust hunt down epic and legendsries and recruit the others just to keep my stats up

Ok. Just meet Bruz. LOVE HIM!
Teach me, Bruz-sensei!

Pheace

I shamed a legendary so I could go dominate him later, because he was a higher level than me and I couldn't dominate him, and I'm pretty sure he ran off and took my stronghold.

Edit: Wait, why did I just have to buy back siege upgrades I already had? Are these consumables?

You have to buy upgrades for each fort but they should stick. They do untag if the slot isn't populated but they should still be there (but darkened) and activating them doesn't cost anything.

Kaversmed

Bought this today, any tips / things you wish you knew when you started?

Get the skill to automatically pick up items! Unfortunately it's the last skill in the Wraith tree... It's worth it imo. Also, you get tons of skill points at the beginning, so it shouldn't take long to get.

Work through the story quests until you get to Act 2.. I spent way too much time in Act 1 and got a bit burned out. Just get to Act 2 and then the real fun begins.

Should I play this on Nemesis difficulty?
I platinumed the original and loved it, but I don't know if I have it in me to invest a lot of time on this one
like, does the Nemesis difficulty get extremely grindy and unreasonably hard, or is it balanced enough?
It says that the game is supposed to be built on it, so that's a relief

I have no idea if there's a difference in grindiness, but my opinion on the basis of now having played up until the post-game shit on Nemesis is that if you're familiar with this sort of combat, you should play on Nemesis. I died a fair bit throughout, but it was never punishingly difficult, and it was always fun.I also never actually felt like it was necessary for me to grind to do anything. I never felt like my army had to be big in order to take a stronghold, for instance. When I got to a new region, I could dominate any handful of orcs, and go take the stronghold without even bothering to do its missions to kill the warchiefs. If I spent a lot of time in a region building an army and infiltrating the warchiefs of a stronghold with spies, it was because I wanted to. My actual opinion of this game at this point is that it is exactly as grindy as you decide for it to be.

What's more, there is no achievement for being it on a particular difficulty, and the difficulty is changeable immediately at any time. Try them all if you like, but yes, I recommend Nemesis wholeheartedly.

I don't know what happened, but two of my own people are now dueling.

Umm...

Do I win either way?

Yes, because you got an achievement. Lucky you!

I just now realized that recruiting orcs doesnt have them drop gear
I guess i should nust hunt down epic and legendsries and recruit the others just to keep my stats up

Teach me, Bruz-sensei!

Killing legendaries grants legendary gear (no legendary drops by chance, each of the legendary drops has a *specific* class/tribe combination they drop from, so you should only kill each combo once) but killing epics generally just grants epic gear, which is non-unique, and at least so far as I've found, actually reasonably plentiful from killing normal captains. I like the idea of collecting all the sets so I've been killing most of the legendary orcs that I've found, but loot is so plentiful and fungible I can't justify killing epics that could be staffing my fort for loot I probably won't even wear.

samn

I'm a couple hours in to SoM after buying it cheap in a sale. Is it worth stopping to pick up SoW instead? How are the improvements?

I'm a couple hours in to SoM after buying it cheap in a sale. Is it worth stopping to pick up SoW instead? How are the improvements?

Eeeeh. On the basis that you bought SoM because it was cheap, no. If you're enjoying SoM A LOT, then sure. Everything Shadow of War did well this does better, but everything it doesn't do that great, it still doesn't do that great. They definitely focused on their strengths for this sequel, with the exception that I enjoyed the storytelling and characters of Shadow of War a great deal, whereas I couldn't much care for them at all in Mordor.

They really made the end of the game really grating.

Which part, specifically? I've just started Shadow Wars but up til now everything's been peachy.

Bought this today, any tips / things you wish you knew when you started?

Just do story missions until the end of Act 1. That's when you get the ability to actually start building your forces and get into the real meat of the game's systems.

Play on Nemesis difficulty. It'll be punishing at first but the game's Nemesis system works better if you are occasionally dying and you can become quite overpowered in this game. The added difficulty also makes fighting the captains more interesting, since there will be times when you'll have to think outside the box to take down a tough foe.

Get that skill that lets you automatically grab items by running over them. Gets rid of what is otherwise a huge hassle.

Don't be afraid to just kill orcs. It's tempting to want to grab everyone you can for your army but, frankly, you don't REALLY need to have every spot filled with your dudes. A good bodyguard, and then maybe 4-5 good dudes for leadership positions later. Epics and Legendaries are worth keeping an eye out for but the only way to get gear in the game is to kill Captains, and dismantling gear is also key to making lots of money (which you'll want for upgrades later). So you can afford to be choosy with who actually gets to join team Bright Lord!

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
Its a pity the loot box controversy taints what is otherwise an amazing and deep game. Hopefully they learn their lesson...

Pheace

The only thing I would've wanted was an expanded multiplayer. Building my fort armies would be so much more satisfying if we got a record of fortress raids. At the minimum whether someone failed or succeeded, and ideally who/what they died to and perhaps which captains were still alive by the time it ended (on fail).

The more information the more fun it'll be to tool around with different setups for your fort.

Tizoc

Killing legendaries grants legendary gear (no legendary drops by chance, each of the legendary drops has a *specific* class/tribe combination they drop from, so you should only kill each combo once) but killing epics generally just grants epic gear, which is non-unique, and at least so far as I've found, actually reasonably plentiful from killing normal captains. I like the idea of collecting all the sets so I've been killing most of the legendary orcs that I've found, but loot is so plentiful and fungible I can't justify killing epics that could be staffing my fort for loot I probably won't even wear.

Will keep this mind thanks.

The only thing I would've wanted was an expanded multiplayer. Building my fort armies would be so much more satisfying if we got a record of fortress raids. At the minimum whether someone failed or succeeded, and ideally who/what they died to and perhaps which captains were still alive by the time it ended (on fail).

The more information the more fun it'll be to tool around with different setups for your fort.

That's a good thought, right now there really isn't a lot of strategy to it beyond "use the guys with most strengths and fewest weaknesses", it would be cool if we could actually choose where in the fort they fought, maybe stats on the sort of captains and strategies people use against you, stuff like that.

Top Bottom