• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

A bit further into act 3 now, just about to head into the Sewers to meet a certain someone.

(Yes, I have been procrastinating thanks to the Blessing of Shalassa lol. So many wrecked ships to explore! Now I know where those Relics come from.)

Those one, two thousand HP enemies are a lot more manageable now thanks to Master level offensive spells, yippie!

On a seperate note, I wish I knew in advance that you have to promote your classes to upgrade your skills from M to GM. So many points pumped into those skills and I can't reap the benefits even though I know where to upgrade those skills.

I've got 3 of the 4 quests, I can't seem to find the Freemage one yet.

Knurek

Slightly OT, but does anyone know of a game mod for World of Xeen that would show actual HP damage dealt/received? Instead of the weird coloring system the game uses?

Durante

Unless I'm using the tool wrong, it seems to be using MP3s as a source, at least it's always below the red line.

Playing the actual CD, it seems at the green line, i.e. lossless?

Looks like this.
I pestered people at work to do this, not realizing you had already done it.

But yeah, looks lossless:
audioj8abb.png

How are you taking screenshots in this? PrtScr is just giving a black box for some raisin.
I'm taking 3840x2160 screenshots using a tool I wrote :p

But archnemesis' answer is probably more what you were looking for. Note that you can also use Steam if you have the non-Steam version, you just need to launch the game through Steam. I even managed to get Steam streaming to work with it.

Durante

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Just got that blessing and time to go back to those ships, yes.

btw, what is the level cap?

According to the XP table in the data files it's 50, but I doubt there is enough content to get that high.

As for screenshots, the steam screenshot tool works fine with this.

chris-013

Warrior difficulty is so good ! I heard the game is more easier if you play without a tank early on but they are a must later.

My Team :

Elf Blade Dancer
Human Freemage
Orc Shaman
Dwarf Defender

Sinatar

There is an achievement for reaching level 50 though.

Well it's possible that there is a bunch of content left, but I'm like 40 hours in, have gotten the explore 100% of the world achievement (even though there is still places I haven't gotten too in the mountains) and my guys are lvl 29.

jimboton

Well it's possible that there is a bunch of content left, but I'm like 40 hours in, have gotten the explore 100% of the world achievement (even though there is still places I haven't gotten too in the mountains) and my guys are lvl 29.

I think they said there are expansions planned, depending on how well it sells.

Maybe if it sells well enough they'll pull a World of Xeen and downright double the amount of map to cover :p

Knurek

I think they said there are expansions planned, depending on how well it sells.

Maybe if it sells well enough they'll pull a World of Xeen and downright double the amount of map to cover :p

Speaking of World of Xeen, it's up for 75% off sale on GOG.com for the next hour or so.

Durante

Having now been to 3 cities in the game I find the progression interesting. Sorpigal is totally by the books, just all the buildings you need on a more or less flat plane. Seahaven is already much more interesting, with the very distinctly designed Dwarven and Naga areas (and even the desert-like surroundings of the fort). And then you have The Crag, with its harbor and extreme verticality.

They certainly don't blow their load to quickly -- it's not just the cities, the whole game seems really well paced and content seems well distributed so far. I have to admit to my shame that with the early access and "sudden" release I half expected the rest of the game to be bare-bones compared to the early access part, but nothing could be further from the truth.

kazebyaka

Banned
Can somebody help me with a mysterious crypt puzzle in Shadow Woods? I tried using a spreadsheet some guy did, but the third combination is not working for me, since you can't get to 6 button without stepping on something else.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Early in the year and we have a game that will be better than most of the AAA blockbusters yet is comically overlooked and forgotten as the year progresses. I look forward to being mocked for pointing to this game as one of the years best as my taste is inevitably questioned because I feel Infamous 3 is kinda ok yet not mindblowing.

edit: Trying to get the M&M 6 pack at gog because I never played World of Xeen. Payment keeps failing. Can't buy shit, captain :(

Durante

Enemies which leech your mana are the worst. I just drank 2000 gold worth of mana potions in one fight.

The 4th city is even crazier, it covers 2 zones and has an interconnected sewer system too.
Looking forward to it, though at my pace it will probably be a while still before I get there.

Anyone have issues picking up the book near the Sudgerd entrance? When I loot it there's no message and it doesn't seem to appear with the rest of the books.

Durante

This game almost has the same level of addictive quality like Civilization has for me. Instead of "one more turn" it's "one more part of the map to explore".

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game almost has the same level of addictive quality like Civilization has for me. Instead of "one more turn" it's "one more part of the map to explore".

I tried to explain to my friend how this was an open world game like Skyrim except not bad. I have run across some great stuff by going over every square.

garath

Yeah. I hear that. Even though I need to put the game away I'm always like - "I can just explore this one last room".

Then 10 enemies pop out. Oops.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Yeah. I hear that. Even though I need to put the game away I'm always like - "I can just explore this one last room".

Then 10 enemies pop out. Oops.

This has happened quite a bit to me lol. Or 2 enemies pop out that I clearly have no business fighting at my current power level.

Durante

This has happened quite a bit to me lol. Or 2 enemies pop out that I clearly have no business fighting at my current power level.
Or 2 enemies pop out that I clearly have no business fighting, I somehow manage to defeat them in an epic struggle, and then the battle indicator doesn't go away and I notice that there are 3 more of them.

Sinatar

Or 2 enemies pop out that I clearly have no business fighting, I somehow manage to defeat them in an epic struggle, and then the battle indicator doesn't go away and I notice that there are 3 more of them.

That to me is the quintessential M&MX moment. This game does a great job of throwing things at you that you think you can't handle, and you feel like a god damned boss when you do.

It's always the stragglers that get you. Always.

Returned to the
Old City to try out Level 3 again which wiped my team out during the first time around. Managed to do better with the specters and the other elite undead, and found a Spider Boss at the end (which had its own intro sequence and everything) and it annihilated my team when I entered its chamber with its extremely long range AOE Prime ability which crits for over 250+ damage every, single, time.
Damn it.

I discovered an interesting bug that's easy to exploit. When you're trying to open a difficult secret door, make sure you cast the regeneration spell first. Every time you try opening the door with a new character you'll get the usual small health recovery. What's different is that the regeneration counter won't go down as long as you're on the same tile. If you cycle between all four characters you have an infinite number of attempts without having to spend any potions or mana.

Sinatar

I discovered an interesting bug that's easy to exploit. When you're trying to open a difficult secret door, make sure you cast the regeneration spell first. Every time you try opening the door with a new character you'll get the usual small health recovery. What's different is that the regeneration counter won't go down as long as you're on the same tile. If you cycle between all four characters you have an infinite number of attempts without having to spend any potions or mana.

The door requirements are static so you trying infinite times won't change anything. There are 3 types of doors:

Strength - Cracked Wall
Magic - Illusionary wall
Perception - Gears

If you look through the data files you can see the different thresholds for secret doors, the hardest ones top out at needing 50 of the stat.

Corpekata

Banned
That doesn't match what I've done. Generally save and load at Perception doors and have had more than 1 open after a failure by the same character.

Sinatar

Maybe if you are below the requirement you get a percentage shot at it or something? I've never succeeded at a door off multiple attempts without buffing.

Durante

I always thought the limits were static, so the one time I encountered a (perception) door I didn't have the stats for I backtracked later. You weren't buffed on your subsequent tries?

They're definitely not static. The last door I tried to open (Elemental Forge, level 1 or 2) needed like 25 tries.

Edit: I haven't even considered the possibility of using buffs for opening doors. Now I need to head back to town to pick up some more spells.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Honestly this game plays like an adventure game, it's not an RPG. All previous might and magic games had this huge sandbox of a world. This time, I can't travel anywhere until I finish off a certain area. And if the diffuculty is warrior, "side-quests" are no longer side, you do need to complete everything, otherwise bosses would be way too difficult for you. With new trainers, the game even forces you to pick certain skills, so the RPG element is removed here too. This is somewhat frustrating. I guess developers didn't have time to balance the game or create enough content for it.

You can't really control what to do and where to go. You HAVE to do dungens in order and even inside some dungens like Lost City you have to do levels in order (1-2-4-3). So yeah this game is not an RPG, just and adventure.

lulz

Shaldome

Returned to the
Old City to try out Level 3 again which wiped my team out during the first time around. Managed to do better with the specters and the other elite undead, and found a Spider Boss at the end (which had its own intro sequence and everything) and it annihilated my team when I entered its chamber with its extremely long range AOE Prime ability which crits for over 250+ damage every, single, time.
Damn it.

Have fun when you finally reach him ;)

rybrad

I always thought the limits were static, so the one time I encountered a (perception) door I didn't have the stats for I backtracked later. You weren't buffed on your subsequent tries?
It is definitely not a static limit. Anytime I find a secret I just spam it until it goes (with regen on) and have yet to be unable to open a door.

Slayerx

FInished the game and most side quests, took about 40 hours. Damn that was fun, didn't expect Ubisoft to ever publish something like this.

My only criticism would be
the final part of the game basically being 2 dungeons strapped together but not even being able to go out and train your skills, at least the last boss fight was very good, very creative

Also I have a question, is something supposed to happen after you complete the elemental forge
or is it just the disk at the top glowing and rotating, which is cool I guess, and a chest with a blue :/
?

Durante

This is particularly funny to read since I went way ahead before doing the Lost City (I went to The Crag, the Karthal sewer dungeon, did the meteor ore sidequest and many more) and am now steamrolling the Lost City. Well, almost steamrolling it -- the Ravenous Ghouls refuse to be steamrolled ;). Can beat them without potions though.

My archmage really turned a corner after getting grandmaster air, she's hitting ~1500 crits on chain lightning while cyclones are flying around hitting whole groups for ~500.

Sinatar

My archmage really turned a corner after getting grandmaster air, she's hitting ~1500 crits on chain lightning while cyclones are flying around hitting whole groups for ~500.

Only problem is that it feels like 80% of the enemies in the game have really high air resistance.

waby

Question: Does my build of defender affects my provoking skill? It always misses or block by enemies. I'm on Act 2 and my defender is kinda useless in tanking. Might create a new save game

garath

Question: Does my build of defender affects my provoking skill? It always misses or block by enemies. I'm on Act 2 and my defender is kinda useless in tanking. Might create a new save game

Put some points in perception. That will help him hit to land those taunts

Durante

You need more attack power. Increase via weapon skills or the Perception attribute.
Yep, exactly that. My defender got much more useful after I unlocked higher weapon levels and put a few leveluups worth of points into perception. If you can't level up your weapon skill more right now (e.g. due to lack of trainers) you can also increase your armor skill to decrease the attack penalty from it (if you have any).

waby

oh dammit my axe level is still 1 :( I was thinking of buffing its tanking ability first. I never read perception affects hitting ability thats why I skip that (If only I have played past M&M)
Might as well create a mew save, can't fix this since I'm level 10 already

Top Bottom