• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Might & Magic X Legacy |OT| From Corak and Sheltem to Enroth and Erathia

This game has got it's claws into me bad. I was never into RPGs back in the day either. Closest I came was probably Heroes 1-3. The rigid turn based combat and grid based movement makes it so good. Can't understand why this game gets so many lukewarm reviews. It is really doing almost everything right when it comes to gameplay.

epmode

Can't understand why this game gets so many lukewarm reviews.

Those reviewers are bad people and they should feel bad.

M&M10 is exactly the kind of game I feared was dead forever. ..a year or two ago. Crowdfunding and cheap digital distribution saved the day!

Space sims and VR are up next! Man, I love videogames.

Four Elite Spectres surrounding you is not particularly healthy. WTB more stun immunity.

Never seen one. Worse than Air Elementals?

Have you encountered a particular ambush at a certain treasure chest which has one Earth Elemental, one Water Elemental, one Dark Elemental and one Air Elemental surrounding you on ALL 4 sides?

Did I forget to mention that all 4 of them are ELITE and start pummeling you the moment you move (not open) to the chest?

Yeahhhhhh.....

Corpekata

Banned
Fire Mage at Expert gets a buff that prevents stun, sleep, paralysis. Right now it lasts 6 turns for me. It's godly in places like Cursed Ruins.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did you do the various side-quests in act 1, explore everything and get whatever expert training was available in Sorpigal? Buy spells? Basically you need to make it through the forge to the next major bump in power by reaching Seahaven.
Thanks for the advice man, I powered through after finding a couple upgrades, but I notice every quest I have takes place in a blocked-off city. I also notice that I'm waiting around to expert so many skills because I can't find the trainers in the first part of the game. I've enduranced almost everyone to the limit, etc.

Clydefrog

Just picked up the old 1-6 pack of M&M on gog so I'll probably get around to playing M&M X in... 2016.

Only old M&M I played and beat was M&M 2 and that was on sega genesis. heh

Durante

Fire Mage at Expert gets a buff that prevents stun, sleep, paralysis. Right now it lasts 6 turns for me. It's godly in places like Cursed Ruins.
Yeah, love that spell... just doesn't help if the ambushing Spectres stun your Freemage with their first hit :/

Slayerx

On the subject of fire elementals
sometimes my freemage would crit with chain lightning and one shot two of them at the same time :/ bad times

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Just picked up the old 1-6 pack of M&M on gog so I'll probably get around to playing M&M X in... 2016.

I would suggest just playing World of Xeen and skipping the earlier ones. I'm not sure I could go back at this point. The new interface in 10 is just sooooo much better.

M&M X does have modding, I'd love to see someone port the previous games into the new engine. The interface alone would be worth it, even if it somehow still had the old graphics.

M&M X does have modding, I'd love to see someone port the previous games into the new engine. The interface alone would be worth it, even if he somehow still had the old graphics.

The Unity Pro license (900 USD/year) required to mod M&M X makes modding out of reach for all but a handful of enthusiasts and developers though.

epmode

The Unity Pro license (900 USD/year) required to mod M&M X makes modding out of reach for all but a handful of enthusiasts and developers though.

I don't know if it's possible for the Unity developers to make their engine more friendly to modding but I sure as hell would appreciate it.

Corpekata

Banned
Can't find who sells light grandmaster spells. I unlocked GM, just can't find anyone to sell me spells, figured it'd be Karthal but no luck.

Durante

How/where do you get the archmage promotion quest? I found the other prestige class quests for my party more or less randomly, but that one eludes me.

Carm

How/where do you get the archmage promotion quest? I found the other prestige class quests for my party more or less randomly, but that one eludes me.

I'm assuming you mean Freemage? Act 3, npc will show up in The Crag, east side new building, after doing a quest.

Bought that M&M 1-6 collection on GOG today solely for World of Xeen. Unfortunately the sound is broken, in the Full Speech version. Using the default sound, every step you take there is a horrible ping sound. Switching to roland sound for it, gets rid of the pinging sound, but introduces a new annoyance. Every time you open a door a telephone rings....

vocab

I was talking with a friend about 3 and world of xeen and the differences. It wasn't until today I forgot that in 3 to get the auto mapping you need A) cartography and B) eagle eye. It's a pain in the ass for new players starting out. Three starts brutally hard for level 1. World of xeen starts off nice and easy with some easy goals to follow. In three you also need mule characters to hold quest items. World of xeen gets rid of that.

Three is cool though, it's just that world of xeen is improved.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder

Mild spoiler:
You will get a quest to rescue someone in Act 3, once you rescued him the quest will show up in the Crag.

EDIT: Also Celestial Armor is freaking crazy when you have grandmaster light, jesus.

rybrad

Just finished, took me 38 hours according to Steam. I thought the game was fantastic and my only major complaints (I have lots of petty ones) are being stuck with only one action bar when casters need more and not being able to scroll the map to other areas. The last dungeon was also an exercise in tedium but the rest of the actual content was great.

I sincerely hope the game sells well and we can get a sequel with more polish. I can't remember the last game that I played every free moment until I finished, which says a lot about the game.

garath

Just got to the elemental forge. Found a secret door and opened up and area to
air and light elementals. Ow. I guess I'm not supposed to go over there yet? I can't even engage. They one shot two of my team.

kmfdmpig

Just got to the elemental forge. Found a secret door and opened up and area to
air and light elementals. Ow. I guess I'm not supposed to go over there yet? I can't even engage. They one shot two of my team.

Those are tough. I was able to beat the ones on the left walkway, but the ones on the right are very tough. I'll try again around level 17 or so.

Sinatar

If anyone is curious what the fully leveled up Obelisk reward is, here you go. I won't img tag it in case that's spoilery.

Kind of underwhelming really, I mean it's not terrible, but eh?

If anyone is curious what the full leveled up Obelisk reward is, here you go. I won't img tag it in case that's spoilery.

Sinatar, where's the location of the last obelisk? I've got 7 clues, and I think I'm missing one more
the one that says look under a stone or something
. Does it require the Blessing of Ylath to access it? I've just got the sucker after beating the snot out of the boss air elemental. I don't want to venture too far to before getting it
I'm in desperate need of another relic 1h sword for my crusader/blademaster team

DasFool

If anyone is curious what the full leveled up Obelisk reward is, here you go. I won't img tag it in case that's spoilery.

That does seem underwhelming. Especially considering the obelisk finding is nothing less than soul-crushing in the older games, the reward you get should be quite substantial.

The obelisk reward in Might and Magic 6 leads you to:
- 3 of the best Relics in the game
- One of each of the most powerful light and dark spellbooks
- 250,000 Gold.

What you posted seems paltry in comparison.

Sinatar

Sinatar, where's the location of the last obelisk? I've got 7 clues, and I think I'm missing one more
the one that says look under a stone or something
. Does it require the Blessing of Ylath to access it? I've just got the sucker after beating the snot out of the boss air elemental. I don't want to venture too far to before getting it
I'm in desperate need of another relic 1h sword for my crusader/blademaster team

Yea you need Ylath.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Has anyone claimed the Meow Temple dungeon from their Uplay points? I see I'm due the Dream Shard dungeon too from the deluxe edition, anyone tried it?

Moff

If anyone is curious what the fully leveled up Obelisk reward is, here you go. I won't img tag it in case that's spoilery.

I think its fine
most items in the game are pretty bad, I cant say I found or bought any decent item except the relics

Corpekata

Banned
Man Intercept is crazy good against mobs that you can't taunt. Fought a ghoul miniboss and intercepted my mage, had fire shield up and a hand armor relic that does like 24 primal damage per hit taken and the the dude was taking like 140ish damage to himself nearly every turn.

Just finished at 43 hours with my all caster party. There are some technical issues (some of the mountains have terrible performance for seemingly no reason, but I enjoyed it a lot.

Gameplay wise my only real issue was that the last boss fight is terrible / takes forever, and there are a lot of trash that drops, I'd rather have less drops that are actually decent. By the end of the game I was just trashing tons of whites every couple of minutes.

kazebyaka

Banned
Guys, what do i need to detect secret doors and passages? Magic? Perception? My perception is pretty high, but i couldn't detect any of secret doors for the past ten hours.

Corpekata

Banned
Dark Magic has it at the first tier, whispering shadows. Most magic store sell scrolls of it too. There's also some hirelings that do it automatically.

Durante

Just finished, took me 38 hours according to Steam. I thought the game was fantastic and my only major complaints (I have lots of petty ones) are being stuck with only one action bar when casters need more and not being able to scroll the map to other areas.
Heh, those are also my only "major" complaints so far.

Talking about the map, this video has a nice (but very short) zoom-out where you see a large part of the overworld map (at around 1:20):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=gV0_Jk2tHO0
It also has a terrible terrible voice over.

Moff

oddly enough, I think it was kinda cool to cast some spells out of the spellbook, weird, right?
but map Scrolling would have been nice, yes. I would also really like to know how many hours I played that game, I dont have it on steam so I dont see it there.
where is the dream shard dungeon? do you get a quest for it?

Durante

The spellbook interface itself is pretty nice (with the bookmarks for different schools and all), and I don't mind using it for rare things like buffs, but at some point you get so man spells you actively use in battle that you even need to open it for some of those. A second action bar really wouldn't have hurt.

Holy shiet, I have major respect for Fire Elementals now. Sinatar wasn't kidding around when he said they were "special".

Handle with care.

Pain in the arse Elemental rankings from what I've encountered so far (from pushovers to bloody dangerous):-
Earth Elementals (purge is your best friend)
Water Elementals (let them come to you)
Light Elementals (nothing special, just let them come to you. Hit them hard and fast.)
Dark Elementals (20% reflect damage means your melee chars are useless for them. You can easily kill yourself if you let loose a crit against them.)
Air Elementals (Chain Lightning makes them bloody deadly from range, let them come to you by hiding in a one way path, else you're fucked. Elite versions WILL chain lightning every turn, as evidenced from your very first encounter with them.)
Fire Elementals (seriously, if they come in a group and you accidentally let lose an AOE that kills more than one at the same time, it's game over for you lol. Always, always kill them one at a time, and make sure you have someone full heal after that)

desverger

For the better part of yesterday I was wandering around aimlessly and getting my nose bloodied by enemies I couldn't defeat. Finally I found where I was supposed to go (Desolate Wilds with those orcs), but I really enjoy that after chapter 1, there are multiple places to explore and nothing is gated off.

That reminded me how I don't really like how modern games treat you with silk gloves and seal the dangerous areas off just so you wouldn't have a "negative experience".

My map is now full of notes of enemies I can't defeat (yet) but I plan to reschedule a meeting with them soon! I really wish you could at least scroll or zoom out the area map though :p

Durante

For the better part of yesterday I was wandering around aimlessly and getting my nose bloodied by enemies I couldn't defeat. Finally I found where I was supposed to go (Desolate Wilds with those orcs), but I really enjoy that after chapter 1, there are multiple places to explore and nothing is gated off.

That reminded me how I don't really like how modern games treat you with silk gloves and seal the dangerous areas off just so you wouldn't have a "negative experience".

My map is now full of notes of enemies I can't defeat (yet) but I plant to reschedule a meeting with them soon!
You can actually go kill those orcs even in chapter 2, I did that. I also have lots of map notes with scheduled meetings for later though.

desverger

You can actually go kill those orcs even in chapter 2, I did that. I also have lots of map notes with scheduled meetings for later though.

Yep, they were the only asses I could kick :)

I also almost could manage the place with the Spectres, but that paralyze is way too nasty for me handle just yet. Might have to go and nab Burning Determination or whatever the spell is that makes you immune to paralyze for a few turns.

Moff

haha, yeah, I had some notes scattered around the map, too. ghosts, necromancers and blackfang among others. and every dangrous cave, of course.

after quite some time played now, I think the games biggest strenghts, next to the flawless and satisfying combat and Interface, is the world building and the complete lack of handholding, I just love how everything is connected together and you always have something to explore and venture into

Knurek

after quite some time played now, I think the games biggest strenghts, next to the flawless and satisfying combat and Interface, is the world building and the complete lack of handholding, I just love how everything is connected together and you always have something to explore and venture into

Really, really hoping for genre renaissance.

Arkeus

I just wish the world didn't have to be gradually unlocked, at least to some extent. M&M2 just threw you into the world, gave you some quest and told you do explore the world.

Well, you can pretty much go almost anywhere not-shard from the beginning of act 2, and even then it's not hard to grab most shards but the water one before the end of act 2, so...

Top Bottom