• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

marrec

Banned
You deserve to eat at a place with a wine list and waiters with a peppermill Tim Wise

If the place doesn't have a golden pepper grinder and a waiter with arms the size of tree trunks to grind that fuckin' pepper on my goddamned salad all night long then I'm leaving a 2 star review on Yelp you better fuckin' believe it.

Sheentak

I only eat out when I'm out already, so if I'm in the area I'll quickly go mcdonalds or subway. Causal dinners take too long to get food.

Phu

Banned
Gee, I wonder why younger adults don't like going out to get subpar to acceptable food for relatively high prices.

Thoraxes

I don't go out because yeah, cooking at home is much cheaper, food tastes better, and the service is better because it's me.

Not to mention I don't have to fucking tip. Tipping is basically the single biggest reason I don't go out to eat, and can save more money just buying groceries or even going to a nearby fast food place if I get desperate.

Allforce

BW3s is a place where i go to watch a game and consume like 5 giant 23 oz beers for 3 hours, and then maybe stuff my face with some greasy mini-wings at the end*. Never have I entered one of those restaurants and asked the hostess to seat me and my party and be served by a proper waiter/waitress.

Were people honestly planning their nights around dinner and conversation at BW3s?

*Full disclosure, I love this. But there are better locally-owned sports bars that are also wing places around now where I can do the same thing.

It seems like all we do is ruin everything these days.

Older people are just pissed we don't fit their paradigm of their businesses. Its due to being cast out into a horrible economy, low wages, and student loans.

Businesses will eventual get it that Millennial are now their real market target, and the only way for them to sustain is for us to finally be brought up into the back bone of the middle class.

wildfire

Banned
Considering that I would observe millennial age people in various buffalo wild wings I suspect many chains elsewhere are fucking up.

BWW is respectable as a hang out spot with good selection of wings.

Greek Life at my college goes there every damn Thursday to "socialize" with each other.
Since I was Pledge Educator, I had to go, even if I didn't want to.
The smell of the food is so disgusting after going so often.
Let it die. Please.

Xe4

Banned
As a millennial who's never been to casual dining chains, I'm not surprised. Too many good local options, even in small cities.

MIMIC

Banned
"Millennial consumers are more attracted than their elders to cooking at home, ordering delivery from restaurants and eating quickly, in fast-casual or quick-serve restaurants," Smith wrote.

Millennial here. I go to BWW all the time. I just never sit down and eat there :)

Get it to go, ftw.

Strimei

I live in a college town and the Buffalo Wild Wings on the main street is usually pretty packed, particularly on the cheap wing night.

But given that they're smack dab in the middle of campus, that's not that surprising. Cheap wings and college students...I'd have loved to have that when I went to university.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Why does it seem that whenever someone blames millennials for something it's always about offering an almost anachronistic service? I'm never going to go to places like this nor am I going to take my children to them. You can't be pro-market and then complain when the market doesn't want you.

noquarter

I guess it makes sense, those places are more for the family experience they should cater more to older patrons like Denny's does.

As an Millennial, I actually like sit down places.
BWW markets itself more as a sports bar than a family place. Never have thought of going there for a family meal because of that.

Applebees and Ruby Tuesday just suck. Every time I have been to one I have been disappointed at the food I get.

A generation of poors are "to blame" for not buying expensive cheap food?

I can get a better burger from a dozen fast casual places for half the price.

I like the good at BWW's, but I fucking hate sports and they have sports on every television in the place. At Applebee's the food just isn't very good. Seems like it's even gotten worse over the years.

Sunster

Older people are just pissed we don't fit their paradigm of their businesses. Its due to being cast out into a horrible economy, low wages, and student loans.

Businesses will eventual get it that Millennial are now their real market target, and the only way for them to sustain is for us to finally be brought up into the back bone of the middle class.

yea lol we literally cannot do what they want us to because of their generation destroying everything and they are mad at us about it.

Chirotera

Banned
It's almost as if we have an entire generation of people that are underemployed while also being straddled with an insane amount of student loan debt.

hydruxo

BDubs is nothing special. So many better wing places out there. I haven't been to an Applebee's in years, all the ones near me have long gone out of business.

phanphare

Banned
yeah I too wonder why people are choosing the superior options within the same price point therefore forcing inferior competition out of the market

darn millennials :shakes fist:

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm sure office workers will keep the ones in suburban retail parks going for a little while longer. But yeah, I'm not trying to sit at an Applebee's if I got other options.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It could be the fact that Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's have terrible food that's killing them
Actually, Buffalo wild wings has pretty good wings with an expansive selection of flavors.

Whats likely killing it is that it's niche. How many times a week or month does someone really want wings?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That category of restaurants is terrible. Shit quality food and generally bad service.

Sure, you get that at a fast food place, too, but at least you get it over with quickly and don't have to tip.

Rootbeer

Banned
I prefer fast casual, yeah. It's faster, sure, but I don't really need a server 99% of the time I want to eat is the other part of it, it's a waste. Give me a place where I can get up and refill my own drink and not have to wait on a server.

TyrantII

Well, both those places suck, so no tears here.

I remember when BWW didn't use frozen wings or measure their sauce out in thimbles.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Odd. Local independent places I've been to are packed. These chains did it to themselves as the quality of the food and service declined but somehow the prices increased.

Apt101

I think these large chains are fine (I even like The Olive Garden a lot), it's just that it takes so long to get a meal in. If I'm going to wait that long I'm going to a proper restaurant, reservations and all if needs be, especially now that I'm no longer a broke college student.

But Ruby Tuesday is still fantastic when we're out without any solid plans, and want to grab a draft beer and get some healthy food in. The local RT has all kinds of healthy stuff now, and it's not that much more expensive than Five Guys.

Clipse

BWW is okay, but I'll only order from them on Tuesdays for the half-off wings. Way too expensive otherwise.

Top Bottom