• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Millennials are killing chains like Buffalo Wild Wings and Applebee's

BDubs Thai Curry sauce is the making of gods. I will say that. That being said, I haven't eaten there in probably over a year at least.

Rizific

Out of those in the op, I like bww if I'm craving wings. But there are plenty of other and better options than Applebee's​. Applebee's is the shit you take your date to in highschool.

Lethal

Neo Member
Aren't all the restaurants mentioned not cheap for the food they serve? Like it's overpriced and crappy? Tgi and Ruby Tuesday's here are almost as expensive as going to a real restaurant with actual good food.

A-V-B

y'know maybe if BWW didn't take their wild sauce off the menu they wouldn't be in such deep shit

i mean that's probably not it, but look at yourselves for your own problems and stop heaping them on other people

Jetku

I'm a 30 year old millennial in denial, but I don't go to these places anymore. Right before 30 (7 months ago now) I had a "one-third life crisis" and revamped all of my dietary habits and fitness lifestyle. I'm not super crazy about what I put in my body, but deep fried foods are just generally unappealing to me now.

I have a 21 month old daughter and we haven't fed her anything deep fried by choice. In general, she happily eats healthier foods. I love when we can go to a restaurant and I can get her something like grilled chicken tenders on a kids menu.

I'm quite annoyed that things in America were different when I was a kid. Why did anyone think it was a good idea for a kids meal to consist of just fried chicken nuggets and fries? (Other than taste / cost, of course).

Restaurants nowadays are playing catchup to changing tastes, and newer restaurants are leapfrogging places like Applebees or Fridays that still have to appeal to their old customer base.

They're all owned by Wallstreet or holding companies as well. There's a reason they've declined.

And the way wall street is set up, is to grift money from the lower and middle income earners. Pay employees shit. Get profits. Give profits to share holders. Only the wealthy owns stock.

Get in line, Applebee's, we're busy ��

Hell, the Boomers are really the main generation behind this shitty world we got one way or another, might as well kill as many things they love on the way down before their all dead. They love golf and cars so much? Fuck both of them. Let them see both in flames with their dying breaths, the bastards.

pablito

Applebee's and BWW should just try being good.

Paid 50 bucks for 2 beers and the plainest burger and nachos I've ever tasted from BWW. I don't like exaggerating...the nachos tasted like cafeteria food to me, no joke.

There's more affordable, better tasting options in town. Both my wife and I can cook food well. Why would I ever go to these places?

Hell, the Boomers are really the main generation behind this shitty world we got one way or another, might as well kill as many things they love on the way down before their all dead. They love golf and cars so much? Fuck both of them. Let them see both in flames with their dying breaths, the bastards.

You can burn all the microwaved applebees meals you want, but leave golf and cars out of this shit.

Oh wait, i'm on gaf, gotta get in my POS s2000 mid life crisis car and drive off a cliff i guess :(

UltraMav

I like both of those restaurants because I'm not a picky eater and they have a fun atmosphere for a quick meal with friends/significant other, but I just don't have the money to go that often. If I was paid decently I would probably go at least once a week to similar places.

marrec

Banned
I like both of those restaurants because I'm not a picky eater and they have a fun atmosphere for a quick meal with friends/significant other, but I just don't have the money to go that often. If I was paid decently I would probably go at least once a week to similar places.

The thing is, a lot of towns have local places that are cheaper and have much better atmosphere. So even when people our age have disposable income they can choose to simply go to better places.

Maybe they shouldn't serve food without any taste. Admittedly I've never been to Buffalo wild wings but Applebee's, Fridays, and Dallas BBQ are too expensive for the taste. I'd much rather eat sushi any day of the week.

Future

Seriously who the hell eats at Applebee's. Who would bring their date to Applebee's. When would anyone actually choose applebees over anything else

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
You guys say every restuarant is shit.

The real reason is probably people not going as a family as much, when I was younger and it was a family meet up, we use to go alot, we still occasionally do do this but I don't even remember the last time I went to these places besides a date I had that happened like last year.

When alot more of us "millennials" settle down and have children, I think business will pick back up again.

El Odio

Banned
Last time me and my girlfriend went out to eat at an actual restaurant was like 2-3 months ago and it costed like +$30. I wouldn't mind maybe going out once a week or so to a sit down place since it's a nice break from eating at home all the time but when it costs so damn much it's a hell of a lot more convenient to either spend just as much on shit for cooking a few meals or go to a more casual place instead.

_woLf

Yeah, don't blame the increasingly shitty food quality at all of these places as they try to find ways to cut cost, maximize profits and underpay their staff.

Don't blame the fact that the focus groups and advertisement agencies over and over demonstrate how out of touch they are when they try to appeal to "the young people" with "hash tags" and "face book"

Don't blame the fact that our generation also simply can't afford to go out to eat a lot, and when we do, we're not going to go to fucking Applebees.

Angry old people yelling at clouds. Fuck 'em. How dare we actually try to be self sufficient and learn to cook for ourselves more.

Kite

Plus, meal delivery kits such as Blue Apron are focused on getting millennials on a subscription plan that will convince them to stay in and cook a certain number of days a week.
.. is blue apron actually popular among millennials? $8-9 a meal sounds pricey to me. Anyhow with sites like yelp I can easily find better and cheaper places to eat, the traditional sit down places need to step their game up or die. Not my problem.

Dynomutt

I thought it was cause of Snapchat and Instagram. Dem' waist trainers and skinny jeans got people wanting to be all sexy and shit.

RyanW

I'm having a hard time believeing this. As a college student I know a lot of friends who will travel 90+ minutes just to go the nearest BWW.

But in reality local sit down restaurants>>>

50 cent wing night at one of those here in town and $4 burgers at another is one reason for that. That's how you appeal to this generation

Good. Last time I went to either I felt horrible paying that much for what I actually got. I don't go to national chain dine-in restaurants anymore aside from like, Denny's now, which is only when I'm drunk.

pablito

You guys say every restuarant is shit.

Id rather have In n Out burger than an Applebee's burger. Applying what I learned at fuckin jack in the box learned me how to make a better burger than Applebee's and B dubs if I try. Potluck nachos at work are worlds better than nachos I've tried at these places. The first time I ever made a steak it was way better than an Applebee's steak.

These places just suck, dude.

SGRX

If the only thing millennials accomplish in the next ten years is driving Applebee's into the ground, it will have been time well spent.

Top Bottom