• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

fauxtrot

Banned
Real question, do people think it makes Milo more acceptable or less dangerous if he theoretically doesn't believe the things he says but actively cultivates a constantly growing mob of zealots that do?

I don't think any of those things from what i've seen of him. He just pushes back against political correctness and outrage culture. Fuck, outrage culture is even part of a Black Mirror episode..... lets not pretend it's not an issue.

He's a pompous trolling asshole but i don't see him as a nazi and constantly labeling everyone racist and "nazi" is, again, problematic.

Echo chamber at it's best. Do people that post this even know what they're talking about?

It's okay for you to not think those things. It's also okay for others to see you as complacent with trans harassment. People aren't labeling everyone a nazi. They're calling out a nazi as a nazi for saying and doing things nazis are very proud of him for doing.

Alucrid

Banned
Real question, do people think it makes Milo more acceptable or less dangerous if he theoretically doesn't believe the things he says but actively cultivates a constantly growing mob of zealots that do?

they're equally dangerous and not acceptable.

LionPride

Banned
Literally is a neo-nazi

"Nah guys he's just a troll, lol ignore him"

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark at the race and gender of people who say this dumb shit...

It's okay for you to not think those things. It's also okay for others to see you as complacent with trans harassment. People aren't labeling everyone a nazi. They're calling out a nazi as a nazi for saying and doing things nazis are very proud of him for doing.

It's like the white dudes who go out and do these "hood pranks" where they say some racist ass shit and think it's okay "because it's just a prank bro".

No, you're a fucking racist asshole hiding behind semantics.

B33

Banned
Thank you. I swear to God the next time I read "who cares if they're publically calling for black genocide, you can't hit them!" I'm walking into traffic
Hear, hear.

Freedom of speech means our government can't persecute us for our opinions and ideas. It doesn't mean we the people have to accept hateful rhetoric.

It's not socially acceptable to have the same views as Neo-Nazis and we shouldn't normalize these views.

It does not matter if you believe in what your saying words have power.

Chumley

Banned

What he personally believes is totally and utterly irrelevant.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Same. I've always felt that way ever since the word "trolling" was invented tbh.

Hey that dude who punched Spencer was just trolling! Its fun see..sigh

I love how people think Neo Nazis are just gonna announce "Hey I'm a Nazi,"

Even Spencer uses double speak to try and bullshit his way out of being called a Nazi. That's why his ass getting punched while doing it was so funny.

Toxi

Banned
It's like a scaled-down version of the classic Trump defense.

I don't think any of those things from what i've seen of him. He just pushes back against political correctness and outrage culture. Fuck, outrage culture is even part of a Black Mirror episode..... lets not pretend it's not an issue.

He's a pompous trolling asshole but i don't see him as a nazi and constantly labeling everyone racist and "nazi" is, again, problematic.

Echo chamber at it's best. Do people that post this even know what they're talking about?

Did you not see the damn video of what he said about that girl?

fauxtrot

Banned
Thank you, I thought I was taking crazy pills with some of the apologists in here.

Glad antifa came out and did their thing.

Sanke__

You know, I'm getting real sick of hatred being normalized online as just "Trolling".

You are right
There is a huge difference between true hatred and trolling
Milo is a troll
He is a professional troll
His entire job is trolling people
He makes money off of people get pissed at the things he says

No
He is ultimately a terrible person
But it still just makes him an asshole
The zealots you speak of him mobbing together are the true monsters
He is exploiting them to make money
It is pretty common in America to exploit people for money
Any one of thousands of people in upper management at any oil and gas company are doing far worse by knowingly and directly killing people and destroying the planet but the misguided internet troll is the real villain that deserves everyone's attention
Right?

That makes it worse in my book.

Trolls poke and prod to get a rise out of people, to enrage and stir a reaction. At some point it'll do what its intended to do (because we're all human, and these are trying fucking times) and I don't mind that reaction being aimed squarely back at the cause.

Its the people that get caught in the middle of it I feel sympathy for.

theWB27

You are right
Milo is a troll

It's only a difference to those who don't have the fortitude to admit their hate.

Chumley

Banned
Where did all these Milo defender GAF members come from? Is gaming side spilling over to try and cape for this guy?

SwolBro

Banned
Did you not see the damn video of what he said about that girl?
I did, it was insensitive and a dickish move. The picture along with the story were already available from the schools newspaper though.

I don't see it as being a "nazi" He's being insensitive/inflammatory and that's his whole point. He rallies against political correctness, identity politics, and race baiting. I mean, it's his whole fucking shtick and the people that call him a nazi play right into his hands.

I guess that's my whole point here. I have nothing else to add to this thread.

iuxion

1. he posted an article that was already out prior in the own schools newspaper. he brought it up as a point to his argument. he spoke for about 1 min on that and never brought it back up.

2. do you have his actual tweets? the movie was bad, and people were going crazy over people claiming it was bad and making it out to seem like some type of anti-feminist race baiting bullshit when it was just A BAD MOVIE.

I never followed this guy, but from what i read here, and then when i go and actually listen to his talks...... they don't align. He's a troll asshole. I don't see it as a nazi. Maybe he is a nazi, but i'm not seeing it in his apparent outrageous tweets and talks.

So you've read about Milo, actually watched his talks, but are completely unaware of his massive hate campaign against Leslie Jones before Ghostbusters even came out? We're supposed to believe that? Come on, man. You know it had nothing to do with the quality of the movie.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm very anti pc, and I get annoyed at constant outrage on social media but Breitbart is different.

They are in power now, this isn't trolling! Steve Bannon is Trumps right hand man!

He just implemented a Muslim Ban, and wants to build a wall to keep Mexicans out. He nominated Jeff Sessions for attorney General.

Trump, Bannon, Miller, and Milo are part of the same Breitbart culture of shit.

Chumley

Banned
I did, it was insensitive and a dickish move. The picture along with the story were already available from the schools newspaper.

I don't see it as being a "nazi" He's being insensitive/inflammatory and that's his whole point. He rallies against political correctness, identity politics, and race baiting. I mean, it's his whole fucking shtick and the people that call him a nazi play right a long with him.

I guess that's my whole point here. I have nothing else to add to this thread.

Stop coming in here with your fucking ignorance and pretending like it's equivalent to knowledge. Milo has gone on record that he believes the white race is superior to all others and that black people are subhuman apes. He forged tweets about Leslie Jones and egged on his followers to harass the everloving shit out of her in every way imaginable. The list goes on and on.

You take his "schtick" to it's logical conclusion and you have a race war. People murdering each other. That's where this all leads. By calling him a "troll" you let him get away with it. If the day ever comes that whites and blacks are at each others throats (again), he'll put his hands up and say "oh, I never wanted this, I was just trolling!". Which is another way of saying "I was just race baiting and I knew this outcome was possible all along but did it anyway because I got money for it and you're all saps".

Anjelus_

You don't know Martin.

I do, actually. Big, big, big MLK Jr. fan. His philosophy is not this thread's.

I'm well aware of the "help" I received in post #466 and the bolded quotations from Other America –– and I could just as easily unbold the bolded, and rebold the bits that point to his philosophy.

MLK in no uncertain term rejected violence. He drew attention that riots are not unprovoked, that they're caused by prevailing injustice and need to have their underlying causes addressed; acknowledge the conditions that cause violence and fix the underlying cause.

But don't take my word for it, MLK says it himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMma_5dXkgE

Now, are the modern manifestations comparable to what MLK was talking about? No. But the attitudes in this thread toward violence and rioting are concerning; these attitudes will lead to escalation and backfire.

"Extreme left"? We just saw a white supremacist massacre six people in a Mosque a few days ago. That's the modern "extreme right". An actual "extreme left" to that degree would make these protestors look like kittens. They won't be using pepper spray, they'll be using guns and bombs.

People in the US ain't seen the shit an actual "extreme left" can do and has done in South America.

The extreme left. They run into a graveyard and start resurrecting people.

Toxi

Banned
I don't see it as being a "nazi" He's being insensitive/inflammatory and that's his whole point. He rallies against political correctness, identity politics, and race baiting. I mean, it's his whole fucking shtick and the people that call him a nazi play right into his hands.
You gotta love the cognitive dissonance on display here.

Milo rallies against "race baiting"... By saying racist-as-shit things to piss people off.

Alucrid

Banned
I'm very anti pc, and I get annoyed at constant outrage on social media but Breitbart is different.

They are in power now, this isn't trolling! Steve Bannon is Trumps right hand man!

He just implemented a Muslim Ban, and wants to build a wall to keep Mexicans out. He nominated Jeff Sessions for attorney General.

Trump, Bannon, Miller, and Milo are part of the same Breitbart culture of shit.

what does very anti pc consist of and if you're so annoyed at the barrage of constant outrage on social media why continue to use it or why not simply refuse to engage with that content. i don't really understand the feeling of being constantly bombarded by these political correctness / outrage forces.

Mawnster

You are right
Milo is a troll

Really tired of hatred being masked as 'just trolling bro lol'. It's like those YouTubers that say stupidest and most ignorant things and then they claim they were just portraying a "fictional character" and that they don't really think those things. Enough of that bullshit. Own what you say. And if what you say is pure hatred, then you also gotta face the consequences if people get pissed at you for it.

if he's such a damn nazi show me some examples and stop attacking me. it shouldn't take long, this should be easy.

Sorry. Missed this.

I'm certainly not of the mindset that Milo is a Nazi. He is quite racist, misogynistic, and oddly homophobic. He has pushed quite strongly the idea of "alt-right", until Spencer and his ilk rose to prominence.

So, let's start with Breitbart.

How Donald Trump's New Campaign Chief Created an Online Haven for White Nationalists
"We're the platform for the alt-right," Bannon told me proudly when I interviewed him at the Republican National Convention (RNC) in July. Though disavowed by every other major conservative news outlet, the alt-right has been Bannon's target audience ever since he took over Breitbart News from its late founder, Andrew Breitbart, four years ago. Under Bannon's leadership, the site has plunged into the fever swamps of conservatism, cheering white nationalist groups as an "eclectic mix of renegades," accusing President Barack Obama of importing "more hating Muslims," and waging an incessant war against the purveyors of "political correctness."

While only 5 percent of key influencers using the supremacist hashtag #whitegenocide follow the National Review, and 10 percent follow the Daily Caller, 31 percent follow Breitbart. The disparities are even starker for the anti-Muslim hashtag #counterjihad: National Review, 26 percent; the Daily Caller, 37 percent; Breitbart News, 62 percent.

On the RNC's opening day, Yiannapolous spoke at a "Citizens for Trump" rally. He also co-hosted a party featuring anti-Muslim activist Geller and the Dutch far-right nationalist politician Geert Wilders. Yiannopolous has proved to be Breitbart's most vitriolic anti-Muslim presence, erasing the distinction many conservatives draw between Islam and "radical Islam." After the Orlando shootings, Yiannopolous told Bannon on his weekly radio show that "there is a structural problem with this religion that is preventing its followers from assimilating properly into Western culture. There is something profoundly antithetical to our values about this particular religion."

Some Breitbart staffers who resisted the site's transformation into a pro-Trump alt-right hub eventually resigned in protest.

Milo did not.

Milo's own ode to the alt-right can be found on Breitbart. I don't feel like linking to it.
The media empire of the modern-day alternative right coalesced around Richard Spencer during his editorship of Taki's Magazine. In 2010, Spencer founded AlternativeRight.com, which would become a center of alt-right thought.

Alongside other nodes like Steve Sailer's blog, VDARE and American Renaissance, AlternativeRight.com became a gathering point for an eclectic mix of renegades who objected to the established political consensus in some form or another. All of these websites have been accused of racism.

Again, I don't believe he's a Nazi. There is a picture floating around of him with an Iron Cross, but I think that's largely a part of his troll persona. "Virtue signalling" to use the parlance. He is quite white nationalist adjacent though. Part of his magic is be willing to talk up certain ideas, people, and concepts, without actually saying he's directly for it.

Note, if the problem you have is people are calling him a Nazi, sure. If you're trying to argue he is not an odious person and I have little issue with folks protesting his speaking engagements, given that it is also speech.

SwolBro

Banned
You gotta love the cognitive dissonance on display here.

Milo rallies against "race baiting"... By saying racist-as-shit things to piss people off.
Stop coming in here with your fucking ignorance and pretending like it's equivalent to knowledge. Milo has gone on record that he believes the white race is superior to all others and that black people are subhuman apes. .

I'm not an expert on Milo. I can only make a judgement call on what i see or what is shown to me. Been asking for examples and yet i've only been met with hostility.

Now that's what I call a temper tantrum.

Infantile pukes.

image.php

rjinaz

I do, actually. Big, big, big MLK Jr. fan. His philosophy is not this thread's.

I'm well aware of the "help" I received in post #466 and the bolded quotations from Other America –– and I could just as easily unbold the bolded, and rebold the bits that point to his philosophy.

MLK in no uncertain term rejected violence. He drew attention that riots are not unprovoked, that they're caused by prevailing injustice and need to have their underlying causes addressed; acknowledge the conditions that cause violence and fix the underlying cause.

But don't take my word for it, MLK says it himself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMma_5dXkgE

Now, are the modern manifestations comparable to what MLK was talking about? No. But the attitudes in this thread toward violence and rioting are concerning; these attitudes will lead to escalation and backfire.

MLK wasn't the end all either on discrimination and how to respond to it. I don't think you should be telling people how they should be responding to hate speech against them because of the way one man felt about it.

Like I pointed out earlier, it is almost always the people that don't have hate speech thrown at them that think it's no thing and easily ignored.

Magus1234

https://twitter.com/janeygak/status/826998516144697344

This is exactly what I am talking about, people get the idea that violence is an option vs hateful speech and they take in the wrong direction. Do you think this is going to get the same response as the actual Nazi getting hit? When violence is on the table, that means that idiots are liable to take it to the extreme. Good shit, now this is going to be spread to undermine anything positive that comes out of the protest, when in actuality the same outcome could of happened from a peaceful one.

Anjelus_

MLK wasn't the end all either on discrimination and how to respond to it. I don't think you should be telling people how they should be responding to hate speech against them because of the way one man felt about it.

Like I pointed out earlier, it is almost always the people that don't have hate speech thrown at them that think it's no thing and easily ignored.

I haven't done that. I responded earlier to comments made specifically about MLK.

I do have hate speech thrown at me, so let's avoid disingenuous assumptions. And I can point you out any number of cases in human history where the notion "some people only respond to violence!" (which quite caught my attention earlier in this thread) led to a great outcome for society ––– but I actually can't because it hasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom