• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://twitter.com/janeygak/status/826998516144697344

This is exactly what I am talking about, people get the idea that violence is an option vs hateful speech and they take in the wrong direction. Do you think this is going to get the same response as the actual Nazi getting hit? When violence is on the table, that means that idiots are liable to take it to the extreme. Good shit, now this is going to be spread to undermine anything positive that comes out of the protest, when in actuality the same outcome could of happened from a peaceful one.

Do you think people who hold up instances like this really care about protests

What is your point? That MLK should not have been peaceful because he was assassinated?

MLK Jr. pushed the civil rights generation forward precisely through non-violent protest. But there are people in this thread who would shit talk him if he were around today, which is insane.

Once again, you have seemingly missed my lengthy response to you. Do not invoke without the full scope of the man. He pursued non-violence, but acknowledged what was behind violent outbursts.

I'm not one for conspiracy theory but hasn't literally every place Milo has gone to, ended in protests turning into violence? Like I get it, he's scum of the earth, but why is it seem like people are so quick to do so? Is it because it's College Campuses?

As I posted earlier, he tends push hard prior to the event to purposefully get people riled up.

Kalentan

I'm not one for conspiracy theory but hasn't literally every place Milo has gone to, ended in protests turning into violence? Like I get it, he's scum of the earth, but why is it seem like people are so quick to do so? Is it because it's College Campuses?

Like, even bigger protests have managed to keep far calmer recently.

Lowmelody

In America? Of course it is.

Violent protests, rioting? Pursuing violent means to silence someones right to free speech?

Yes, the time has come to smash the nazis from within while we still have the clout. It's time to suspend concerns for order while the lives of minorities are at risk and our country is being consumed from the inside out by facism.

Don't let moderation doom this country. Things cannot have value over people.

Sunster

that's why

congrats to the protesters

don't give Nazis a safe space

This is exactly what I am talking about, people get the idea that violence is an option vs hateful speech and they take in the wrong direction. Do you think this is going to get the same response as the actual Nazi getting hit? When violence is on the table, that means that idiots are liable to take it to the extreme. Good shit, now this is going to be spread to undermine anything positive that comes out of the protest, when in actuality the same outcome could of happened from a peaceful one.

She's wearing a hat that is in support of a man who put a white supremacist and Nazi sympathizer on his National Security Council, that shit doesn't fly

Every person who continues to support Trump supports white supremacy, period. Give no quarter.

Magus1234

Do you think people who hold up instances like this really care about protests

It's hard to say, it's ammo and it can be used to make the left look violent. That is never good, especially when the divide is very tense right now. It can make police and schools act a certain way to future protest, again imo nothing good comes from this.

rjinaz

I haven't done that. I responded earlier to comments made specifically about MLK.

I do have hate speech thrown at me, so let's avoid disingenuous assumptions. And I can point you out any number of cases in human history where the notion "some people only respond to violence!" (which quite caught my attention earlier in this thread) led to a great outcome for society ––– but I actually can't because it hasn't.

Alright fair enough, it's still mostly true though.

Violence is not always the answer, but history also tells us it can be. I don't condone violence most of the time. I don't think the damage caused today actually helped the cause. But I'm also not going to cry about a Nazi being punched or say that this man has the right to say what he wants and not be silenced by others.

fauxtrot

Banned

Antifa is strong here in the West Coast, especially near the Bay Area, Seattle, etc.

Plus the stabbings at the Nazi rally in Sacramento made the danger feel pretty real around here, which means more protesters are going to turn out to push these fuckers out of our cities.

Sanke__

Yes it is because they are college campuses
He is intentionally booking college campuses so that this will happen
Not that it necessarily shouldn't happen but he wants it to happen
Would be great if everyone could stop helping him build his following but it's also important people know it's not ok to agree with the things he says

It's a catch 22 type of situation

I mean fucking Berkeley
it would be impossible for him to think of a better place to incite a protest

Mawnster

Real question, do people think it makes Milo more acceptable or less dangerous if he theoretically doesn't believe the things he says but actively cultivates a constantly growing mob of zealots that do?

Acceptable? Au contraire! It's even worse. A good example is all of the damn memes that started in 4chan in a non-serious, ironic and totally trolly way. I think we all know how that worked out.

In fact, there's a great movie that explores this idea. It's called The Wave and it's based on a real experiment a teacher practiced in a university. The movie is about a high school teacher that shows a documentary about the Holocaust to his students and states it would be easy to establish a dictatorship in modern Germany. They don't believe him so he starts an experiment to demonstrate that it is indeed easy and that people are easily manipulated. At no point in the movie he believes any of the ideology he's trying to spread, but he (just in case someone wants to watch it)
actually manages to turn some of the students into real neonazis

Very recommended to watch btw.

It's hard to say, it's ammo and it can be used to make the left look violent. That is never good, especially when the divide is very tense right now. It can make police and schools act a certain way to future protest, again imo nothing good comes from this.

Honestly, people looking to vilify frustrated minorities and allies are going to look for and find "ammo" anywhere. They vilify any protest, no matter how peaceful. They won't stop criticizing protests until they no longer happen or are so ineffective the world can effectively tune them out.

Kalentan

Would be great if everyone could stop helping him build his following but it's also important people know it's not ok to agree with the things he says

Antifa is strong here in the West Coast, especially near the Bay Area, Seattle, etc.

Plus the stabbings at the Nazi rally in Sacramento made the danger feel pretty real around here, which means more protesters are going to turn out to push these fuckers out of our cities.

As I posted earlier, he tends push hard prior to the event to purposefully get people riled up.

that's why

I see. Why do Colleges keep letting him book speeches?

Magus1234

Honestly, people looking to vilify frustrated minorities and allies are going to look for and find "ammo" anywhere. They vilify any protest, no matter how peaceful. They won't stop criticizing protests until they no longer happen or are so ineffective the world can effectively tune them out.

Well I agree with that, but if you ever want to give them a legal avenue to do it then violence is a sure shot.

Anjelus_

Once again, you have seemingly missed my lengthy response to you. Do not invoke without the full scope of the man. He pursued non-violence, but acknowledged what was behind violent outbursts.

I didn't miss your post sir, and I actually agreed by saying: "MLK in no uncertain term rejected violence. He drew attention that riots are not unprovoked, that they're caused by prevailing injustice and need to have their underlying causes addressed; acknowledge the conditions that cause violence and fix the underlying cause. "

There are in this thread, however, assertions quite to the contrary of that. I can't abide "the only thing these people know is violence" and "being peaceful got MLK killed." That stuff is quite nutters, as though MLK shouldn't have been as he was.

B33

Banned

One of Milo's supporters shot a man at a protest at the University of Washington on the evening of Inauguration Day. The man who shot the protester claimed it was in self-defense.

Toxi

Banned
Acceptable? Au contraire! It's even worse. A good example is all of the damn memes that started in 4chan in a non-serious, ironic and totally trolly way. I think we all know how that worked out.

In fact, there's a great movie that explores this idea. It's called The Wave and it's based on a real experiment a teacher practiced in a university. The movie is about a high school teacher that shows a documentary about the Holocaust to his students and states it would be easy to establish a dictatorship in modern Germany. They don't believe him so he starts an experiment to demonstrate that it is indeed easy and that people are easily manipulated. At no point in the movie he believes any of the ideology he's trying to spread, but he (just in case someone wants to watch it)
actually manages to turn some of the students into real neonazis

Very recommended to watch btw.
There's another movie called "Look Who's Back" that goes one step further: Adolf Hitler is reincarnated in modern day Germany and people assume he's a comedian pretending to be Hitler for laughs.

theWB27

I mean fucking Berkeley
it would be impossible for him to think of a better place to incite a protest

People aren't going to be quiet.

watershed

Banned
Good. This is the smaller kind of event where we can clearly see protests having a direct effect on rejecting hate speech. Milo should not be given a platform to continue harassing people and spreading hate.

Well I agree with that, but if you ever want to give them a legal avenue to do it then violence is a sure shot.

Complacency and ineffective expressions of speech also keeps the status quo and minorities oppressed as well. The ultimate answer is in not normalizing this rotten alt-right ideology and not letting them hold office. The country already failed at the latter, people are doing whatever they can to do the former. It's messy, there's no silver bullet, and there's no "pure and virtuous" way of doing it, but it's the only real way to fight back at this point.

Dmax3901

So I just saw a video of a crowd chasing a dude, one woman screaming BEAT HIS ASS BEAT HIS ASS. Guy motionless on the ground getting hit. I mean I'm all for punching nazis but this shit isn't the answer.

Madame M

Banned
So I just saw a video of a crowd chasing a dude, one woman screaming BEAT HIS ASS BEAT HIS ASS. Guy motionless on the ground getting hit. I mean I'm all for punching nazis but this shit isn't the answer.

how do you know the person being beaten was a nazi?

Sunster

yea crazy things will happen during protests. i don't like it either but it doesn't negate the entire thing.

Mawnster

There's another movie called "Look Who's Back" that goes one step further: Adolf Hitler is reincarnated in modern day Germany and people assume he's a comedian pretending to be Hitler for laughs.

Never heard of that one! Definitely gonna watch it. It's kind of like how Trump is a buffoon.

Except we don't laugh much...

rjinaz

No, that's not answer. I'd like to know the context of that event though.

I see. Why do Colleges keep letting him book speeches?

Generally, the speeches are booked by student organizations, who have a dispensation to acquire and schedule speakers at their local university. Most colleges don't step in until it becomes a major problem.

There are in this thread, however, assertions quite to the contrary of that. I can't abide "the only thing these people know is violence" and "being peaceful got MLK killed." That stuff is quite nutters, as though MLK shouldn't have been as he was.

Fair enough.

It is not.

Dmax3901

I found the video in the comments of the twitter video of the girl getting maced. The guy who posted it has an anime girl wearing a make America great again hat as an avatar so perhaps he's not to be trusted.

At least post it.

I'm kinda reluctant to in case the video is of an unrelated event and is being used to spread misinformation.

Madame M

Banned
I found the video in the comments of the twitter video of the girl getting maced. The guy who posted it has an anime girl wearing a make America great again hat as an avatar so perhaps he's not to be trusted.

I'm kinda reluctant to in case it's an unrelated event and being used to spread misinformation.

I'm more disturbed by anime girl avatars than MAGA hats though I admit both are pretty disturbing and are a shameful force when together

Alucrid

Banned

I'm kinda reluctant to in case it's an unrelated event and being used to spread misinformation.

seems pretty useless to not post it out of not wanting to spread misinformation while at the same time decrying the actions in the video

Chichikov

I'm kinda reluctant to in case the video is of an unrelated event and is being used to spread misinformation.
If it's fake or unrelated you are already spreading misinformation by talking about it. At least if you post it people can figure out for themselves if it's real.

Dmax3901

seems pretty useless to not post it out of not wanting to spread misinformation while at the same time decrying the actions in the video

If it's fake or unrelated you are already spreading misinformation by talking about it. At least if you post it people can figure out for themselves if it's real.

The thought that it could be unrelated only came to me after my first post, but fair point.

Here it is.

Mawnster

I'm more disturbed by anime girl avatars than MAGA hats though I admit both are pretty disturbing and are a shameful force when together

What about this?

9zyvHR3.png

Lyn

Banned

ABC posted their view of it, although it is only 3 seconds. So it does seem legitimate, unless we are talking about different incidents of course. Still trying to catch up on everything here.

https://twitter.com/abc7newsbayarea/status/827039436596670464

Condom

Eh she was screaming about another dude, the guy on the ground didn't get hit when he laid motionless. Here is the link.

Malfunky

Well then let's all be sure we take the right side, then - the people protesting and protecting their communities and schools against the violent ideology of fascism and not the police and university who give the fash platform and permission to propagate - because this sort of thing is not going to stop and you're going to see more and more of it. It's time to start looking at our reactions to violence and our notions about non-violence, because it's clear that structural (and literal) violence exists whether or not we participate in it and the people have a right to defend themselves from it. This is some shit we on the left really need to think about right now.

The University, by the way, and in particular the Univ. of California and its dedicated police force, are already well-equipped to punish activists, and has a long history of doing so. I should know, I've been detained and harassed by them, been put on a list, and I never smashed a damn thing!

Very proud of the people over there tonight.

¡No Pasarán!

Dmax3901

Eh she was screaming about another dude, the guy on the ground didn't get hit when he laid motionless. Here is the link.

I mean which one of the dudes getting attacked by a mob she's yelling at isn't really my issue and it certainly looks like the guy on the ground is out cold and hit a few times before that other guy stops them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom