• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anung

Un Rama
Both sides need to compromise. Labeling people on either side sparks further conflict and division.

I'd love to see what this kind of compromise looks like.

Allowing fascists the right to speak is how things have got this far. There is no peaceful solution.

Just watched some videos of the riots.

Just wow.

Using physical violence against anyone is sickening. Don't care who you are or what you stand for, if you feel the need to physically assault someone over their beliefs then there's something wrong with you.

Its just his beliefs guys. Pack it up!

Good job Berkeley students, this is a great way to give Milo the attention he craves.

He doesn't deserve to be acknowledged as a person.

Just watched some videos of the riots.

Just wow.

Using physical violence against anyone is sickening. Don't care who you are or what you stand for, if you feel the need to physically assault someone over their beliefs then there's something wrong with you.

normalization of nazi's should be put down with the most brutal of methods.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Man, I've never heard of this guy but he's not terrible.

You've never heard of him but the moment you do (now) you come to the conclusion that he's not terrible.

For those of us who have read about the things he's said and done and know better than you - yes, he's a terrible person.

Just saw your edit. Never mind.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
lol. Are some of you advocating physical violence now? I think I will see myself out this thread. Have fun folks.

fWx327.gif

Good job Berkeley students, this is a great way to give Milo the attention he craves.

He doesn't deserve to be acknowledged as a person.

Not sure where you've held your head buried but this isn't the event that suddenly propelled Milo to attention.

So logically now I should conclude that Milo is a Nazi?

lol. Are some of you advocating physical violence now? I think I will see myself out this thread. Have fun folks.

Stop asking questions and try reading?

You should have seen yourself out when Milo's associates advocated for ethnic cleansing. People need to stop with this act of being offended by the anger of people who have to deal with the fallout of the breeding dangerous, genocidal ideologies rather than those who preach and support such ideologies. It's truly disingenuous.

I guess hate speech is so normalized in America people feel the need to defend it. Lots of countries have ban hate speech and the world continues to spin with the "oppression of mah free speech!!"

But hey, contunue to believe people who preach white supremacy just need to be handled with our gentle hands and given legitimacy. As if people who are anti woman, racist and xenophobic can be reasoned with. If they could you wouldnt have a cheetoh for a president.

Chumley

Banned

If you're asking me if I have any sympathy for Milo supporters getting beaten up, I don't. That might make me insensitive or a jerk or whatever you want to call me. I don't really care. Me and basically the entire left tried to engage and speak with Trump supporters for years and years, as calmly and politely as we could. Never got anywhere, and our weakness lead to a Trump presidency. The time for rational discussion is over and was over for a long time while we fooled ourselves into thinking it wasn't.

People like Milo and the alt-right are trying to tear down the unwritten rules of common decency that makes social life bearable, and by wishing physical violence on him you are helping them achieve this.

It's not bold and it's not strong. It's cowardice.

The entire world already knows him... jesus this isn't the first rodeo.

Ask your parents if they know about Milo Yiannopoulos. There's a higher chance they will, now that this is hitting the mainstream press.

Right, and putting your campus on lockdown so that the entire world knows about him is a much better way to make him go away.

what exactly did you want the students to do?

the republican student group invited him

uc administration refused to ban him

so instead of protests, do what? write an editorial in a paper nobody reads?

Richard Spencer, who yesterday applauded Trump for the "de-Judiafication" of the Holocaust, was punched twice in public. As a result, he's started questioning whether he is able to lead a "movement" of white supremacy and Nazi sympathizing.

Physical violence worked in this case. No one had to die, and a Nazi was denied a safe space to spew hate and lies.

Not all opinions and platforms should be treated with the same respect. White supremacy is not just "a difference of opinion" despite what our President would have you believe.

Right, and putting your campus on lockdown so that the entire world knows about him is a much better way to make him go away.

What the hell are you talking about? Him and Bannon are already on their way toward being household names because the President thinks Breitbart is a legitimate news outlet. Stop acting like the people who don't want to listen to a single syllable out of his mouth are to blame for his rise. The only people at fault are the people that take his rhetoric as gospel and grant him power and position.

TBiddy

When you're saying that this bigoted shitstain deserves and should have a platform to spread his hateful bile and embolden neo-nazis even more, then you're defending him. Austin Walker said it best:

austinrgjq1.jpg

So instead of spending time and energy trying to defend a nazi and his ability to spread his bullshit, help out the groups and people who are suffering from the shit that him and his group are spewing.

I'm not defending him, and I'd appreciate you not calling me a nazi-defender. That a pretty shitty thing to say.

If you'd actually bothered to read my posts, we could talk, but right now you're calling me a nazi-defender for no reason. And that's really fucked up.

I was the managing editor of my student newspaper :(

people read it if the articles were going to piss them off.

Lime

I'm super tired of so-called moderates who keeps defending nazis and their supporters, while black lives matter protests against being murdered and anti fascist actions are criticized endlessly.

Arkeband

Banned
Reddit claims there's a fairly large anarchist group that shows up to basically every protest in that area just to cause havoc and break things. If that's true, then it makes sense, because there's zero reason for students to go around rioting, especially if Milo's event was cancelled.

Be brutal at a deeper level. Act in such a way that even hitting him, even slapping him is too much of a recognition. You should treat him like the nonperson he is.

Moral decay and the destruction of common decency is what Milo's entire career is all about. Why surrender to him?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Are the protestors in the wrong here? Because from what I read the agitators are from an Anarchist group called the Black Bloc.

Seems like it's always these Scumbag anarchists that take advantage of decent protests and rile shit up to advance their dumbass agenda.

Hopefully we can get some kind of coordination for larger protests to expose these anarchists and hand them over to police as soon as they try to start shit.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Reddit claims there's a fairly large anarchist group that shows up to basically every protest in that area just to cause havoc and break things. If that's true, then it makes sense, because there's zero reason for students to go around rioting, especially if Milo's event was cancelled.
Also probably this

Chumley

Banned

Trump people have been caught trying to pull false flag shit a ton, this wouldn't surprise me.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Is this speaker really advocating for genocide?
Milo is aligned with the Alt-Right. The guy who started the alt-right (Spencer) has advocated for what he calls "soft ethnic cleansing." So ah, as the one poster said, we should compromise with these guys, and give them a platform to speak from. Hey, are we giving the same podium to speak from to Islamists as well? I mean we should hear them out too right?

Be brutal at a deeper level. Act in such a way that even hitting him, even slapping him is too much of a recognition. You should treat him like the nonperson he is.

Moral decay and the destruction of common decency is what Milo's entire career is all about. Why surrender to him?
"Ignore trolls and they'll go away" is not and has never been a valid strategy. It's a flaccid, surface-level mindset created by people who aren't willing to stand up for what's right.

Again, where have you been? It's far too late to wish Milo into irrelevance. That's half the reason his rhetoric grew. Not sure why you're failing to grasp this.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
I guess hate speech is so normalized in America people feel the need to defend it. Lots of countries have ban hate speech and the world continues to spin with the "oppression of mah free speech!!"

But hey, contunue to believe people who preach white supremacy just need to be handled with our gentle hands and given legitimacy. As if people who are anti woman, racist and xenophobic can be reasoned with. If they could you wouldnt have a cheetoh for a president.

I just spat coffee on my keyboard.

Lime

I'm not defending him, and I'd appreciate you not calling me a nazi-defender. That a pretty shitty thing to say.

If you'd actually bothered to read my posts, we could talk, but right now you're calling me a nazi-defender for no reason. And that's really fucked up.

But that's what you're doing? You're saying that this guy deserves to speak on a public platform at a high profile university? You simply don't realize that there's no debating these people and they certainly should ever be given a platform

Lol as if this has ever worked in real life. Where did you dream up the strategy that ignoring a problem makes it go away?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom