• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Milo Yiannopoulos's UC Berkeley speech cancelled due to protests, campus on lockdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Be brutal at a deeper level. Act in such a way that even hitting him, even slapping him is too much of a recognition. You should treat him like the nonperson he is.

Moral decay and the destruction of common decency is what Milo's entire career is all about. Why surrender to him?

What....

Chumley

Banned
Be brutal at a deeper level. Act in such a way that even hitting him, even slapping him is too much of a recognition. You should treat him like the nonperson he is.

Moral decay and the destruction of common decency is what Milo's entire career is all about. Why surrender to him?

IGNORING "TROLLS" DOES NOT WORK

We are living in 2017, not 2010.

Crocodile

"Ignore it and the problem will go away and solve itself"

Real talk, how many times across human history has that been a successful strategy?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician

Ironically the exact reason this fails is the exact reason that censorship, in this sense, is now nonsensical as a concept. With the internet anyone can find a platform and anyone can find an audience. Literally the only way to stop hate speech is with threat of violence or incarceration. Ignoring it is useless because there are infinite channels to propagate to receptive listeners

Have these been posted yet? They seem.....relevant

C3SUjWCWcAEhncG.jpg

Yeah that seems accurate. I'm really worried where the US and partly the UK is headed.

Trump people have been caught trying to pull false flag shit a ton, this wouldn't surprise me.
I don't understand, are you denying that there were rioters at Berkeley? They were caught on camera setting fire to buildings and beating the shit out of random people, including one guy who was already unconscious.

Fuck those rioting anarchist scumbags. Not only are they cowardly pieces of filth, hiding behind their masks while they gang up on people 20-1, but they give legitimate protestors a bad name.

Sai-kun

Banned

He has a book deal, man. Ignoring him doesn't/won't work.

Chumley

Banned
"Ignore it and the problem will go away and solve itself"

Real talk, how many times across human history has that been a successful strategy?

Fucking zero.

I don't understand, are you denying that there were rioters at Berkeley? They were caught on camera setting fire to buildings and beating the shit out of random people, including one guy who was already unconscious.

Fuck those rioting anarchist scumbags. Not only are they cowardly pieces of filth, hiding behind their masks while they gang up on people 20-1, but they give legitimate protestors a bad name.

No, I'm saying Trump followers might have hired anarchists to show up and fuck shit up to make it look like liberals, BLM activists, etc. were doing it. They've done it before.

TBiddy

But that's what you're doing? You're saying that this guy deserves to speak on a public platform at a high profile university? You simply don't realize that there's no debating these people and they certainly should ever be given a platform

No, I've never said that he "deserves" to speak at a university. I'm not defending "him". I'm arguing that using violence to silence speech isn't a good idea and that everyone - no matter how shitty their world view is - should have the right to speak publicly.

That doesn't change the fact, that everyone else has the right to protest publicly as well. But using violence to silence someone? I don't condone. That doesn't make me a "nazi defender". Thank you.

There's a difference between "deserve to speak at a high profile university" and "have the right to speak publicly". I thought that was fairly obvious.

No, I've never said that he "deserves" to speak at a university. I'm not defending "him". I'm arguing that using violence to silence speech isn't a good idea and that everyone - no matter how shitty their world view is - should have the right to speak publicly.

???

shanafan

"Ignore trolls and they'll go away" is not and has never been a valid strategy. It's a flaccid, surface-level mindset created by people who aren't willing to stand up for what's right.

You are wrong. I am not one of those 'they go low, we go high' people. It's much more complex and important than that.

Physically beating people, accepting the erosion of common decency, it is symptomatic healing. It makes you feel good, but it allows the real problem to grow.

I know it's hard to believe, but there really is a world out there where most ordinary people have never heard of Milo Yiannopoulos. Ok, he has a book deal: so does everyone these days. The only way to beat Trump is to radically rethink what the left means today, and win these ordinary people's votes. If the Left allows itself to be seen as physically violent towards people, this will never happen.

Gandhi brought down the entire British empire in India through peaceful demonstrations and general strikes, and there was nothing flaccid about him.

its the year 2017. How much more evidence do you need that this is actively false? Like "the president is Donald Trump, who ran on a platform of barely concealed white supremacy orchestrated by Steve Bannon" actively false?

All the debates in the world didn't do shit

What "evidence"?

I didn't say by "voicing" them, I said by debating them.

A debate is a formal discussion between two opposing positions. For a debate to occur, both positions need to be considered dispassionately as equal, with the actual discussion putting forward arguments and points to explain why one position works and the other doesn't. If they aren't equal, its not a debate.

That is putting them on an equal footing.

By engaging hate speech in legitimate debate - by normalising fucking Nazis - that's the point when my fears have already come true.

A debate is simply the contention of an idea. Equality is never placed in areas of accuracy, validity etc just by debating. It is the debate that usually gives listeners the impressions of where each point stands in those regards.

Richard Spencer, who yesterday applauded Trump for the "de-Judiafication" of the Holocaust, was punched twice in public. As a result, he's started questioning whether he is able to lead a "movement" of white supremacy and Nazi sympathizing.

Physical violence worked in this case. No one had to die, and a Nazi was denied a safe space to spew hate and lies.

Not all opinions and platforms should be treated with the same respect. White supremacy is not just "a difference of opinion" despite what our President would have you believe.
I didn't check this follow-up but am so glad that the punch is making Richard Spencer worried.

“I’m afraid this is going to become the meme to end all memes. That I’m going to hate watching this.”

“I was planning to go out tomorrow during the Women’s March to do some journalism but I can’t do that anymore. I have reached a stage of being a public figure where I am going to be recognised and then be attacked."

“I am worried about going out to dinner on an average Tuesday because these people are roaming around.”

good_night_white_pride_antifa_logo_sticker_design_by_kiriltodorov-d8kc4x1.jpg

Alienfan

Milo use to be someone who came off as level headed, who's statements were backed up with research, and while I disagreed with most of his views, I enjoyed watching the discourse unfold and subsequently how he challenged my views. WTF happened to him, how do you go from that to being a Nazi scum bag. I guess he was really good at hiding his real intentions and thoughts before

What "evidence"?

A debate is simply the contention of an idea. Equality is never placed in areas of accuracy, validity etc just by debating. It is the debate that usually gives listeners the impressions of where each point stands in those regards.

I'd like to debate your right to be considered human, you go first please tell me why you should be considered human...

It still amazes me that people are daft enough to think ignoring people like Milo will make them disappear. He does't exist because people give him negative attention. He exists solely because he gets positive attention from a herd of people he panders to. In doing so he generates profit for himself. The absolute last thing we should do is ignore it and allow him to continue to mirror the messages of bigots, racists, Nazis, and their ilk. As long as those people exist then so will people like Milo. By turning the volume down on their megaphone we can at least hope the hatred spreads less. But ignoring him is just going to allow it to flourish.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Its just his beliefs guys. Pack it up!
Hey, I believe black people and homosexuals should be put to death. Respect what I think, and come debate me if you don't like it. Otherwise you are the fascist! And don't even think about punching me, even if I think your life is worthless and should have your rights removed, and am actively campaigning to achieve that.

Seriously, how can someone defend this kind of speech? It's pure hate, plain and simple. You can't defend that.

lol. Are some of you advocating physical violence now? I think I will see myself out this thread. Have fun folks.
It's funny how you appear to be fine with hate rhetoric (which hurts countless innocent people), but saying it shouldn't be tolerated is what crosses the line for you.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
A debate is simply the contention of an idea.

We're getting into semantics here.

A debate is a formal discussion of ideas. That's the proper definition. To debate formally/academically, both positions must be given equal time and respect. In that sense, I do not think we should debate an ideology that considers the Holocaust a good idea. Not all ideas are equal. Like, how do you meaningfully debate with someone whose end game is ethnic cleansing...?

The only way to beat Trump is to radically rethink what the left means today, and win these ordinary people’s votes. If the Left allows itself to be seen as physically violent towards people, this will never happen.

I agree the American left needs significant change, but it seems like you're more content with saying "compromise and just let them have their Nazi parties in peace" where I'm saying the left needs to get as loud and extreme as the right has been willing to get for years. I'm not saying we need to go picking unnecessary fights, but when Nazis and Nazi sympathizers start gaining traction, it's time to stand our ground, and sometimes things are going to get rough.

It still amazes me that people are daft enough to think ignoring people like Milo will make them disappear. He does't exist because people give him negative attention. He exists solely because he gets positive attention from a herd of people he panders to. In doing so he generates profit for himself. The absolute last thing we should do is ignore it and allow him to continue to mirror the messages of bigots, racists, Nazis, and their ilk. As long as those people exist then so will people like Milo. By turning the volume down on their megaphone we can at least hope the hatred spreads less. But ignoring him is just going to allow it to flourish.

How the fuck does 'not physically beating him' = ignoring him?

Here's a quote from Abraham Lincoln, who says it better than me, about confronting the mobocratic spirit:

"Passion has helped us; but can do so no more. It will in future be our enemy. Reason, cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason, must furnish all the materials for our future support and defence. Let those materials be moulded into general intelligence, sound morality, and in particular, a reverence for the constitution and laws: and, that we improved to the last; that we remained free to the last; that we revered his name to the last; that, during his long sleep, we permitted no hostile foot to pass over or desecrate his resting place; shall be that which to learn the last trump shall awaken our Washington.

Upon these let the proud fabric of freedom rest, as the rock of its basis; and as truly as has been said of the only greater institution, "the gates of hell shall not prevail against it."

Milo use to be someone who came off as level headed, who's statements were backed up with research, and while I disagreed with most of his views, I enjoyed watching the discourse unfold and subsequently how he challenged my views. WTF happened to him, how do you go from that to being a Nazi scum bag. I guess he was really good at hiding his real intentions and thoughts before

Fucking when?

When he was harassing Zoe Quinn? Or the transphobic nonsense attack on Brianna Wu who has never even said she was trans, or the racist assault on Leslie Jones that got him banned on twitter... or the transphobic harassment of a student at a previous "speech" he gave....

Fucking when?

What do you mean what happened to him?

He wasn't good at hiding.. like at all.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How the fuck does 'not physically beating him' = ignoring him?
The greatest thing for this country would be if nazis and all their ilk were just as afraid to leave the house as black people do on a daily basis. Time for them to go back to 4chan.

I hope you didn't consider him to have any value post 2013... If you did then you were either completely ignorant to what he was doing, or you need to reevaluate some things about yourself.

PaulCRose

That doesn't change the fact, that everyone else has the right to protest publicly as well. But using violence to silence someone? I don't condone. That doesn't make me a "nazi defender". Thank you.

There's a difference between "deserve to speak at a high profile university" and "have the right to speak publicly". I thought that was fairly obvious.

Stop.

I believe that Milo is very disingenuous and violence like this is something that plays into his style very much. He will do ugly and provocative things then play very sweet and innocent when anyone actually tries to call him on his bullshit. But he gets his easiest and most effective hits in when he is "counter attacking" against something that is obviously crossing over the boundaries of civility.

Obviously the correct strategy to use against him to just keep on pushing relentlessly when he has no argument and starts to act cutesy or changes the subject. It's the obvious weakness in all his flawed positions. If anything acts of violence serve him so well that you have to suspect him and his allies from organising them themselves. It wouldn't be a first by any stretch of the imagination.

No one should be allowed to promote hate speech in public. I agree with the violence bit but fuck that blanket notion of freedom of speech.

AntChum

What happened to the America that took pride in quashing Nazi Germany? That shit is on your doorstep right now, ringing the bell, like some jackbooted salesman. This ain't the time to debate with the guy whether or not what he's selling is worth anything — that debate happened 80 years ago and ended in over 60 million dead — now's the time to unleash the fucking hounds.

You don't debate Nazis. You clamber on stage and gank their leaders: the Milos and the Dick Spencers. That doesn't mean everyone has to stand up and fight, but don't stand in the way of those who are.

Mman235

Protest against Milo turned violent and no one punched him? Sad!

I'm glad the idea that human garbage like Milo needs a platform is starting to go away.

Reddit claims there's a fairly large anarchist group that shows up to basically every protest in that area just to cause havoc and break things. If that's true, then it makes sense, because there's zero reason for students to go around rioting, especially if Milo's event was cancelled.

we need a lot of clarification on this because this is the muddy middle that is causing misinformation and misinformation serves the nazis

Are the rioters separate from the protestors? Do they support the cause? Or are they feigning support to cause violence?

Who are these anarchists? Like I dont understand how there's always a group of people beating innocent people or causing damage to innocent people just in the name of chaos.

It's incredibly damaging if protestors are lumped in with them because the general reader will condemn it all and this is equivalent to indifference and silence for whatever nazis do

I believe that Milo is very disingenuous and violence like this is something that plays into his style very much. He will do ugly and provocative things then play very sweet and innocent when anyone actually tries to call him on his bullshit. But he gets his easiest and most effective hits in when he is "counter attacking" against something that is obviously crossing over the boundaries of civility.

Obviously the correct strategy to use against him to just keep on pushing relentlessly when he has no argument and starts to act cutesy or changes the subject. It's the obvious weakness in all his flawed positions. If anything acts of violence serve him so well that you have to suspect him and his allies from organising them themselves. It wouldn't be a first by any stretch of the imagination.

Milo literally got banned from Twitter for being a major fucking racist harasser and he still gets asked on to TV shows, book deals, whatever and treated like he's not a crazy fucking racist...

Like this is what we're seeing, being a horrendous racist doesn't matter, telling me he's a horrendous racist doesn't matter, so fuck him, fuck his movement, shut it down, and keep him off the platform.

Crossing Eden

Wait a minute.. what? lol
As a black man, and i'm sure many can agree with this, the danger that I could be killed on a daily basis via the assumption that I must be up to no good for even the most benign things is very very real. All nazis have to worry about is being punched in their fucking face but I could sit on a bench listening to music and have someone call 911. Nazis don't deserve the luxury of not being afraid to walk around unafraid that their ideology won't be opposed as more and more white moderates claim that their hate speech is just either a)politics or b)a difference of opinion, both of which show an insane lack of critical thinking while simultaneously downplaying the severity of nazi ideology as well as the ideology of white supremacy that is current ruining the lives of millions of people.

The greatest thing for this country would be if nazis and all their ilk were just as afraid to leave the house as black people do on a daily basis. Time for them to go back to 4chan.
And stay online. Don't dare to come out of the house proud to be a Nazi. Call alt righters, KKK, white nationalists, white supremacists, as Nazis in media and everywhere. Don't allow public conferences. Don't allow public space to be used for hate speech. Make hate speech a crime like it is in European countries. Don't allow Nazis to be part of law enforcement. Don't allow them near weapons. Don't allow media coverage. Have compulsory education about what happens when you let Nazis run amok in society. Work in getting these white people out of unemployment. Don't give them a reason to join Nazi groups.

dakun

wait a second. Since when is Milo a Nazi?

I never knew him as anything other than someone who hates feminists, is pro-men's rights, pro-Trump and an insanely rude "troll" asshole who gets a kick out of offending people.

Since that was my understanding i never understood the big deal in him being allowed to talk at universities. His opinions, though i disagree with pretty much all of it, never seemed "extreme" enough to me to warrant a ban on him. (like for example Spencer would)

Kinsei

Banned
wait a second. Since when is Milo a Nazi?

I never knew him as anything other than someone who hates feminists, is pro-men's rights, pro-Trump and an insanely rude "troll" asshole who gets a kick out of offending people.

Since that was my understanding i never understood the big deal in him being allowed to talk at universities. His opinions, though i disagree with pretty much all of it, never seemed "extreme" enough to me to warrant a ban on him. (like for example Spencer would)

He works for a white supremacist website.

Even if he wasn't a neo nazi, he still actively singles out and harasses students at the universities that he goes to speak at.

Crossing Eden

And stay online. Don't dare to come out of the house proud to be a Nazi. Call alt righters, KKK, white nationalists, white supremacists, as Nazis in media and everywhere. Don't allow public conferences. Don't allow public space to be used for hate speech. Make hate speech a crime like it is in European countries. Don't allow Nazis to be part of law enforcement. Don't allow them near weapons. Don't allow media coverage. Have compulsory education about what happens when you let Nazis run amok in society. Work in getting these white people out of unemployment. Don't give them a reason to join Nazi groups.
Exactly.

Milo literally got banned from Twitter for being a major fucking racist harasser and he still gets asked on to TV shows, book deals, whatever and treated like he's not a crazy fucking racist...

Like this is what we're seeing, being a horrendous racist doesn't matter, telling me he's a horrendous racist doesn't matter, so fuck him, fuck his movement, shut it down, and keep him off the platform.

If you are so offended by him that you literally can't deal with the thought of him existing in the public sphere then just take a back seat and leave him to more level headed people. Random acts of violence are not the answer to his rope-a-dope strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom