• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max

I am not Max
Cindres said:
FINALLY. Just found my first ever dungeon. Had to dig through gravel to get to the chest but i'm happy :D
Pig saddle ftw.
Whaaat I want a pig saddle

Have yet to find a dungeon myself

Shit, I just lost loads of stuff, lots of crafted iron things. I didn't know your inventory would decay some time after you died. But I found something interesting:
I had just discovered this dungeon like room connected to corridors. The room was already lit with a torch and had cobblestone walls instead of the smooth stone u normally see underground. Inside was a chest, lots of zombies and something that looked like a cage with a mini zombie and flames inside. This cage seemed to spawn zombies. As easy as zombies seem to be, one spawned up close in that small room and killed me really fast. Before I returned I thought I should go with a wooden sword, but I had to farm some wood first. When I returned all my stuff was already gone. I later found out the spawning cage could simply be destroyed with a pickaxe, inside the chest were 4 web threads, 7 grains and 6 red ores (the first I found).
I didn't know about these dungeon like areas before. I think it's a really cool addition. I was just thinking yesterday that it would be a nice feature to have something like this. Something else that I'd love to see in this game are underground ruins, remnants of ancient civilizations and catacombs. There could be these super rare treasure chests that have artifacts in them. These artifacts can be placed in your house as a trophy/decoration.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Herbspicesoy said:
Shit, I just lost loads of stuff, lots of crafted iron things. I didn't know your inventory would decay some time after you died. But I found something interesting:
I had just discovered this dungeon like room connected to corridors. The room was already lit with a torch and had cobblestone walls instead of the smooth stone u normally see underground. Inside was a chest, lots of zombies and something that looked like a cage with a mini zombie and flames inside. This cage seemed to spawn zombies. As easy as zombies seem to be, one spawned up close in that small room and killed me really fast. Before I returned I thought I should go with a wooden sword, but I had to farm some wood first. When I returned all my stuff was already gone. I later found out the spawning cage could simply be destroyed with a pickaxe, inside the chest were 4 web threads, 7 grains and 6 red ores (the first I found).
I didn't know about these dungeon like areas before. I think it's a really cool addition. I was just thinking yesterday that it would be a nice feature to have something like this. Something else that I'd love to see in this game are underground ruins, remnants of ancient civilizations and catacombs. There could be these super rare treasure chests that have artifacts in them. These artifacts can be placed in your house as a trophy/decoration.

That was indeed one of the dungeons i referred to 3 posts back :D
Cage is a mob spawner, chest contains fun shit.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Yeah the mouse sensitivity sucks arse on this.

That cavern was so deep. Numerous lava and water fountains, came across way too many gold, redstone and diamond ores. Finally clawed my way back out to go and create some better pickaxes to grab them, I must've been down there for around 3-4 game days.

Thinking I should just create a new base down there.

Fitz

Are you playing the browser or downloadable version? The mouse sensitivity feels perfect to me, as it's just the same as my desktop sensitivity.

epmode

I just finished building a flaming tower of wool and sand. Not literally flaming, but torches are EVERYWHERE. It is my spawn beacon and it can be seen for miles around. Next up: Exploring the massive network of caverns ~30 seconds away and finally building my first real house.

I think I love this game.

Blizzard

Banned
Aaron said:
I definitely wish there was rain.
I've only ever seen it ONCE, but I could have sworn I saw rain in a classic multiplayer game, oddly enough after the server/map had crashed due to a memory leak or something. I haven't searched the wiki yet to see if it's in alpha.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Argh, I was building some very large arches on a mountain top to act as a landmark and orientation point, and *bam* finder reset. When I come back, inventory there, all progress gone.

Argh!

Blizzard

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
Argh, I was building some very large arches on a mountain top to act as a landmark and orientation point, and *bam* finder reset. When I come back, inventory there, all progress gone.

Argh!
You might try posting on their forums and see if anyone knows anything about it. I don't know how much memory your system has, but if there's a memory leak of if Java is being a memory hog it might be crashing something. Also you should be able to periodically save (/save command maybe?) I'm guessing. :(

Confidence Man said:
Is there any way to adjust mouse sensitivity? I didn't see any option for it.
Go to that Google moderator site a couple of pages back, and search for mouse...I posted a suggestion for that exact thing, but it only has a few votes so far. I would be happy if he just adds a number, say 1-100, that we could change.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Some people mentioned it before but I forgot, where can I post my suggestions where Notch is likely to read them? I should be sleeping right now but I have a million ideas running through my head. Mainly I want to tell him not to advance the technology too fast.

edit: Oh I see on his Word of Notch thing he has a suggestion site. I wonder if he'll read all 3000 suggestions? And most of them seem like good ideas. I'll post my stuff there.

Blizzard

Banned
It's been three business days and my $15 still hasn't transferred from my bank to PayPal. Should I assume that something is wrong if it's not there by the end of the day?

I could add a different bank account, but then I'd have to wait like 10 MORE days to go through the confirmation process for the new account, and add money, etc. By that time the price may have doubled if multiplayer comes out. :( Rargh PayPal.

I may beg someone to buy it for me in the next few days if they're okay with being paid back via PayPal once the money actually goes through.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Blizzard said:
I've only ever seen it ONCE, but I could have sworn I saw rain in a classic multiplayer game, oddly enough after the server/map had crashed due to a memory leak or something. I haven't searched the wiki yet to see if it's in alpha.
Press F5 in classic multiplayer. Bam, rain.
Press F5 in Alpha. Bam, third person.

The_Technomancer said:

Argh!
I'm not sure this works, but what i'm doing now when making huge projects is to press ESC from time to time. Everytime yuo go into the menu, it saves the map. I've nver crashed after i started doing that, but i believe it works.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
GAF you made me buy this game! I don't regret a thing, the fact that it's apparently 50% off while it's still in Alpha made me jump on the boat as well.

I like it a lot, just mining and building shit and being awesome.

bon

I want to try this out, but can't get the free browser version to work. Too bad, this seems way up my alley.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
This game is so addicting. My house is about to be three stories :D

I love exploring during the day scouting around my house but once the sun goes down I sprint back to my house before the monsters come out.

Blizzard

Banned
bon said:
I want to try this out, but can't get the free browser version to work. Too bad, this seems way up my alley.
Make sure you have Java installed, enabled, and updated, because the browser version is an applet. I think someone linked the free classic survival version too, since he's removing links to the old games once the alpha has everything, I think.

For some reason I could never get it to work in Vista (IE8?) though -- the mouse sensitivity is through the roof or something.

I just found my first diamonds. I've been digging spaces very close to lava. It killed me once when I dug out stone from a wall and lava came streaming out. I thought the lava burn would eventually stop but it took away all my health.

filipe

After hours and hours of work being lost by a chain explosion of creepers, I kept my items and moved to a new area. This time, I wanted to put my focus into farming. Another few hours later...

e92Ut.png

QrISu.png

F3QxU.png

X7aaG.png

3hEdh.png

I still have some major plans, but for now my focus is off of mining. Too many creepers down there.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
A few lessons, from me. These are all things I had to learn the hard way:

- BE PATIENT. I have an obsession with being as "efficient" as possible. I want to cram as much into each in-game day as possible. I want to rush from wooden tools, to stone, to iron. I'm not really sure why, since this is a single player game. In the end, this mentality has hurt me far far more than it has helped.

I had a sweet idea for a tree-top village, so I ran around placing blocks on the tops of my trees, and the end result was that it looked like shit, because I didn't take any time to actually think it through.

Once I stopped treating the game as a race, the more I enjoyed it. I now take a lot of time to THINK about what I'm going to construct, before constructing it.

- Close doors behind you! One day I came home to several sheep in my house. They could have been creepers!

- LOTS OF WORKBENCHES. Workbenches only take four planks (ie one wood block) to construct. This means they are NOT just for the home. I have workbenches all over the place in my mine. I use stone pickaxes almost exclusively (to conserve rarer ores), so they wear out a lot. Rather than run back to "base," I just construct another workbench to make more.

- MINE SMARTLY. Here's what's going to happen to you, almost guaranteed: You're going to have some smart mining pattern, mining diagonally downward, or in a straight line, an occasional junction point, etc. But then you're going to find sold Gold Vein, or a dungeon, or a cavern, and suddenly you're off on some mining tangent - you'll get sidetracked. Suddenly you're mining up and down erratically to find the source of the sound you're hearing. Then... you're going to get LOST. In your own mine.

Preventing this from happening ties into point 1. Mine patiently. If you hear a sound you want to find the source of, backtrack make a signpost, and place it with a note saying "Sound to the left." Then systematically dig out out the area.

- Carry a few spare doors when mining. Doors keep monsters out. If you stumble onto a cavern or dungeon, place a door on the entrance you just created. Then you know if you're behind the door, you're safe. Placing blocks to seal the hole back up also works, but then you might forget where it is.

This one is optional - some might disagree, but I found it significantly upped my enjoyment:

- Mine where you live! I used to have a "home base" and then a mountain nearby where I mined, commuting between the two. On my most recent map, where I settled and lit up an entire mid-sized island (making the entire island a safe zone), I decided to mine down within the island's walls itself. This was great because

1) If you come up out of the mine at night, you're still safe.
2) Cuts down on running time.
3) It made the entire area feel like "home."

To accomplish this without an island, players can build an outer wall - a perimeter. If you didn't know, at night monsters won't spawn in torch-lit areas. Only in the dark. So if you build a 2-3 high wall outdoors and light up everything inside, you are now 100% safe. As you go on, you can expand this wall to be bigger and bigger (remember to keep everything within well-lit), until you have enough space for a home, a farm, a mine entrance, etc.

So... yeah. Cliffnotes:

1) Slooow down and stop worrying about efficient use of time.
2) Don't think of workbenches as permanent.
3) Mine with a system and stick to it. If you deviate, leave a note to remind yourself.
4) Consider mining within your safe zone. Remember to wall-off/door-off the actual mine entrance, in the event that the mine itself becomes unsafe.

Here is my castle. 16 bricks tall plus the 7 bricks for the tier= 23 bricks. Took a while. I also have a 23 brick decline inside of the castle. Now all I gotta do is build some towers on the corners. :D
castle.jpg

Blizzard

Banned
Those are good (and funny) tips. I have a question though...I gather that in the alpha, creepers and some zombies explode. Do these explosions damage walls? Do some explosions only happen when you kill the monster, or are creepers going to potentially come up to your city walls, and then blow holes to get inside? (I'm guessing that doesn't happen from what I hear so far)

I think two of the ideas Notch mentioned were:
1. Making diamond tools never break. This seems like it would be great since it would give me a goal to go for, and I really don't like weapons and tools breaking in video games especially if they can't be repaired.
2. Maybe make some bigger monsters able to break blocks. I rather hope he doesn't do this, since I'm not sure how you could protect yourself in that case. Building seems like it would take so long in the alpha, I would hate to essentially have monster griefers knocking holes in it. :lol

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Ctrl+Alt+PrtScrn is your best bet for screenshotting the downloaded client.
Thanks to cartographer, i dug down to a realy deep cave. Found buttloads of gold, some diamond, and a load of redstone (for the first time somehow :/).

Cartographer is making mining so much easier for me.

EDIT: Oh, and Diamon should be like 4x stronger than Iron. But not indestructable.

Danneee

Blizzard said:
Those are good (and funny) tips. I have a question though...I gather that in the alpha, creepers and some zombies explode. Do these explosions damage walls? Do some explosions only happen when you kill the monster, or are creepers going to potentially come up to your city walls, and then blow holes to get inside? (I'm guessing that doesn't happen from what I hear so far)

I'm pretty sure the creepers only explode close to you and not to get to you. They damage everything in the explosion radius both blocks and, I think, other monsters. Creepers can be used to clear large chunks of land if you get close to them so they start the "fuse sound" and then get the heck away before they explode so you don't take to much damage.

Blizzard said:

I think two of the ideas Notch mentioned were:
1. Making diamond tools never break. This seems like it would be great since it would give me a goal to go for, and I really don't like weapons and tools breaking in video games especially if they can't be repaired.
2. Maybe make some bigger monsters able to break blocks. I rather hope he doesn't do this, since I'm not sure how you could protect yourself in that case. Building seems like it would take so long in the alpha, I would hate to essentially have monster griefers knocking holes in it. :lol

Yes, a creeper blew a giant hole through my wall about 6X6.

1. I personally dislike the idea. No weapon should be indestructable
2. Could work as long as some blocks couldnt be broken by them. Maybe dirt could be.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
TheExecutive said:
2. Could work as long as some blocks couldnt be broken by them. Maybe dirt could be.

I was thinking about this as well. I'd say monsters should be able to damage all blocks before refined stone. Of course it would take longer to damage stronger things like cobblestone. This would make the first night even more scary with zombies breaking down your dirt/wood house. And don't forget you can repair it while they're trying to break in so it's not too bad. It would be kind of like nazi zombies in WaW. :lol

It would be a good gameplay mechanic to show how much progress you've made. "Finally I don't have to repair monster damages."

Plaguefox

Blizzard said:
It's been three business days and my $15 still hasn't transferred from my bank to PayPal. Should I assume that something is wrong if it's not there by the end of the day?
Oh yeah, something's definitely wrong: you're not playing Minecraft alpha!

I am in the same boat. I just want to play, damn it PayPal get with it!

To their credit, it's my fault for doing it wrong. I eagerly await access.

thefil

This looks amazing. Will buy as soon as I get home.

Also, this would make a brilliant graphical front-end to Dwarf Fortress.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So i was mining around my new mine and i found an entire floor or obsidian. I though they weren't supposed to show up naturally? They're between a lava fountain and a water fountain, so i guess they were created when they merged in the middle. But it's like, A LOT. I'll take a screenshot when i go excavating in that area (which i kinda lost it, but it's near my second underground base).

Looked awesome, but i didn't manage to get a printscreen from the donwloadable client.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, I have a new mortal enemy: those green exploding ghoul things. How do you even deal with them? Every morning there will be one outside my house and when I try to go out it blows up. Every time I get near one, I get flashbacks to Half Life 2

"He's got a grenade!" "hu-" *boom* *dead*

GDJustin

Alright... I rolled another new world. But this is the final one! I swear I'm gonna take what I've learned in the others and stick with it this time :lol

Just a couple screenshots because I'm technically at work right now... no more Minecraft until this evening.

I'm addicting to settling/taming smallish islands and making them my base of operations. Here is the island I'm settling (in the distance):

Screen-shot-2010-07-21-at-12.21.17-PM.png

And here is the mountain right next to it that I'm going to be excavating:

Screen-shot-2010-07-21-at-12.21.43-PM.png

FYI - settling an island, as long as it isn't too huge, is actually pretty easy. It only takes 1-2 in game days and just requires dirt. You just have to do two things:

1) Build up your island's entire coastline so it is two blocks high. So find your "shore" level (where there is just a sliver of a block sticking out over the water), and place two blocks on that. Now walk along your coast placing dirt blocks, making sure the entire coastline is that elevation.

2) Place torches on island.

... and that's it! You now have a pretty large safe zone, allowing you to spend both days and nights constructing in safety. Although it is disconcerting to see lots of creepers bobbing up and down on the edge of your island, which WILL happen. But... they can't get to you at all.

If you're concerned about getting too close to the exploding ones, just relocate dirt to make your island's cliff face ~4 tall instead of two.

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, I have a new mortal enemy: those green exploding ghoul things. How do you even deal with them? Every morning there will be one outside my house and when I try to go out it blows up. Every time I get near one, I get flashbacks to Half Life 2

I have four entrances/exits due to these things. One on the left, one on the right, one is a nearby cliff (I can run along it till I get far away) and one straight up to the top of the mountain (then I climb down the other side).

90% of the time the left/right entrances are blocked in the morning. So I usually take the cliff :lol

Whats worse is when I exit my mine/tunnels. Sometimes they are right above the door. I open it, I then die.

Max

I am not Max
The_Technomancer said:

Hit them before their fuse goes out, run away a bit, and then do it again until it's dead

Ferrio

Banned
Herbspicesoy said:
And place torches on the outside of and nearby your house.
Haven't seen any monster around my house since I did that.

Ya my base mountain is lit like a christmas tree, I don't fear walking outside around it anymore at night.

GDJustin

Herbspicesoy said:
And place torches on the outside of and nearby your house.
Haven't seen any monster around my house since I did that.

Monsters can spawn anywhere it's dark. INCLUDING in your house. So the trick is to create an area monsters can't get to, either via an outer wall, an island, whatever, and then just keeping the safe area well-lit.

This is a MUCH better idea than just hiding "indoors" at night imo. It allows you to be just as productive at night as during the day.

In one more in-game day my island will be completely lit and impenetrable. Then I can mine at night and construct my house during the day.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I think after I finish my first base I'm going to find a new area to set-up and create a temp shelter. After creating the temp, I will begin the long process of creating a minecart track from one shelter to another. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom