• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Colkate said:
The wiki description seems a bit odd. Pretty much though, all armour parts (as in gold legs, or iron legs) add the same amount of protection, however as you take damage, the armour loses durability and thus offers less protection, so the main difference between materials is how long they stay in good quality. I'm like 90% certain that's how it works, someone feel free to mock/correct me if I'm totally wrong.

But it also mentions something about armor points. For example body armor provides more armor points than head or legs or feet.

Fitz

HappyBivouac said:
But it also mentions something about armor points. For example body armor provides more armor points than head or legs or feet.

Well, each section of armour provides a different amount of protection, adding up to a total of 10 (4 from chest, 3 from legs, 1.5 from feet and head). So a chest piece gives the most overall protection at full durability for example, then as you take damage, all equipped armour losses durability and then only gives a percentage of it's total protection. So at 50% durability you'd get 5 total armour, instead of 10. 2 from chest, 1.5 from legs, 0.75 from head and feet.

Razorskin

----- ------
Some pictures from my water mine, its been flooded at least 9 times :lol. Plan to put glass ceiling in one area.

DyPvc.jpg

Udhmm.jpg

uftcC.jpg

hz5PU.jpg

Fitz

Looks tasty, I like the idea of a big room just under the water surface with a glass roof. Might make myself an underwater greenhouse.

Blizzard said:
(I guess I'll find out soon enough, but are update checks mandatory? Can you keep playing an old version in case a new version is buggy for instance?)
you can play without logging in yeah. not sure how easy it is to keep separate copies of the game though

Boonoo

lh4.png

lh6.png

lh7.png

lh8.png

My light house is finished! It's lit with lava.
I plan on making a whole string of them. They take a while, but I think it looks nice, and you can really see it a long way off.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Boonoo said:
I plan on making a whole string of them. They take a while, but I think it looks nice, and you can really see it a long way off.
No night pics? :(

Fitz

Caesar III said:
Is an exploding creeper destroying all the items I'm carrying when I die or why do I not find any of them later :(

Items you drop on death only last for a certain length of time after you die I believe, although items can get thrown quite a long distance.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
No idea what the fuck i'm doing in this game but whacking blocks with my stick with leafs certainly is enjoyable. :lol

Perhaps foolish question beget of my inexperience with it but:

In terms of payng with a credit card as per usual as I don't dick around with Paypal accounts and the like, I see it wants me to create and account via stating a name, password, and pass a CAPTCHA. Now, is this meant to be my proper full name for this info or just whatever random handle comes to mind then enter billing info later? Full version emailed or?...

I suppose I'll go ahead and place my order early tomorrow morning, as money saved is money saved and to support a nice Roguelike'ish cause is pretty much a given 99% of the time with me of all NeoGAF folk. :lol

thefil

Boonoo said:

How did you get the lava in there? :lol

I'm currently working on my own little world, but I'm not ready to show any pictures yet. Question: are there any unbreakable cubes? I seem to be up against something I cannot destroy. Bottom of the world maybe?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
thefil said:

I'm currently working on my own little world, but I'm not ready to show any pictures yet. Question: are there any unbreakable cubes? I seem to be up against something I cannot destroy. Bottom of the world maybe?

Yeap, those are "devblocks", and they are the bottom of the world.

Boonoo

thefil said:

stuck the lava on the ceiling and ran out the hole I left real quick. Then I sealed up the hole before the lave fell out.

Boonoo

Yeah, you have to pick it up at the source in a bucket. I lucked out and found a pretty big lake of lava under my spawn, so I have enough to make quite a few light houses.

Blizzard

Banned
Well, I made a generic guy in a suit, and now I'm cowering in my dirt hut for the second night in a row. I nearly got killed by like FOUR creepers the first night, which nearly exploded me off a cliff. I have built my hut on a mountain, with stone under it, and I'm hoping to find coal in a day or two. I thought for some reason I was looking for a "flint" to craft torches but apparently I just need coal.

Last time I had to wait until I stopped hearing creature noises and then I opened my roof to discover it was broad daylight. This time I made a really high chimney and I'm really hoping that the monsters can't climb. :lol *edit* I may have blocked my chimney by accident...I'm doomed.

By the way, I noticed a helpful maybe-glitch to make nights pass faster. If you open your inventory screen you can then alt-tab without the game pausing, so you can just listen for monster noises and such while you do other things.

mandiller

Okay I'm going to buy this now after reading this thread. What on earth have you done GAF? The amount of time I'm going to waste on this thing.........well, time to make a fortress in the side of a mountain.

Does anyone have an idea of how minecart momentum works? For example, if I start the track with a rather tall incline straight down, will the momentum increase per each block of height it goes down, so that I can make a long straight track after that? Or would it be better to have short inclines spaced out?

Boonoo

Blizzard said:
Well, I made a generic guy in a suit, and now I'm cowering in my dirt hut for the second night in a row. I nearly got killed by like FOUR creepers the first night, which nearly exploded me off a cliff. I have built my hut on a mountain, with stone under it, and I'm hoping to find coal in a day or two. I thought for some reason I was looking for a "flint" to craft torches but apparently I just need coal.

When you're hunting for coal don't bother with random mining. Find yourself a nice cave and explore in there, or really you can usually just find it in the side of a mountain or hill.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Blizzard said:
By the way, I noticed a helpful maybe-glitch to make nights pass faster. If you open your inventory screen you can then alt-tab without the game pausing, so you can just listen for monster noises and such while you do other things.
Yup, thats what I do all the time. Its just to risky going outside most nights.

mandiller

Alright. I have a noob question. I just bought and started minecraft. How do I gather/delete blocks? I hit some sheep with my hands and now I have wool and that's about it. I can't seem to do anything else.

Blizzard

Banned
mandiller said:
Alright. I have a noob question. I just bought and started minecraft. How do I gather/delete blocks? I hit some sheep with my hands and now I have wool and that's about it. I can't seem to do anything else.
You place things with right click. Hold down the mouse button (i.e. on a single block) to delete/mine things, like dirt.

Also, thanks for the link, Boonoo. D:
http://double-chinned.mirror.waffleimages.com/data/1b/1bfa4be5492cab16bc5c21730168c282b41d6bc5.png

mandiller

Blizzard said:
You place things with right click. Hold down the mouse button (i.e. on a single block) to delete/mine things, like dirt.

Also, thanks for the link, Boonoo. D:
http://double-chinned.mirror.waffleimages.com/data/1b/1bfa4be5492cab16bc5c21730168c282b41d6bc5.png

Ahh. I wasn't holding the button down. I can now delete blocks however when I do that to stone blocks it doesn't put them in my inventory while it does for dirt blocks. Is there something special I have to do? Also I assume there's a pickaxe or something like that for faster harvesting. Where do you get that?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
mandiller said:
Ahh. I wasn't holding the button down. I can now delete blocks however when I do that to stone blocks it doesn't put them in my inventory while it does for dirt blocks. Is there something special I have to do? Also I assume there's a pickaxe or something like that for faster harvesting. Where do you get that?

Again, I put 3 links in the OP. The first two are very well written guides on exactly what to do to start out. The third is a Wiki that shows all crafting recipes.

They will answer all these questions and more.

The Technomancer

mandiller said:
Stone blocks aren't added to your inventory unless you broke them with a pickaxe. And you need to craft the pickaxe, check out the "crafting" page on the wiki
http://www.minecraftwiki.net

Blizzard

Banned
mandiller said:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17013 and http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17021 are beginner's guides, and http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting has info on crafting that you can just leave open while you play. I'm mostly just going from the crafting info, and not following the guides too much.

*edit* Beaten...my only real problem with those guides was that the crafting recipes don't seem to always name the icon, and I didn't know that coal was used for torches, for instance.

For your question specifically, hit trees until you get wood, and use the wood to make a workbench, and use that to make a wood pickaxe. Note that you should probably have a dirt house or something by that point since it might get dark.

I've already died once, and I hope they leave the respawn option in the game...I don't want a "you lose your world if you die" mode unless it's just an optional really hard mode. :p

The Technomancer

Blizzard said:
I've already died once, and I hope they leave the respawn option in the game...I don't want a "you lose your world if you die" mode unless it's just an optional really hard mode. :p
I would like the ability to move your respawn point if its really difficult to do. Having to trek a quarter of a mile back to base every time I die gets old fast

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Blizzard said:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17013 and http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=17021 are beginner's guides, and http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting has info on crafting that you can just leave open while you play. I'm mostly just going from the crafting info, and not following the guides too much.

*edit* Beaten...my only real problem with those guides was that the crafting recipes don't seem to always name the icon, and I didn't know that coal was used for torches, for instance.

For your question specifically, hit trees until you get wood, and use the wood to make a workbench, and use that to make a wood pickaxe. Note that you should probably have a dirt house or something by that point since it might get dark.

Yeah the crafting guide is a bit confusing when it comes to no names on the icons. However, they do match up with the in-game icons.

The worst is that flint and coal look very similar.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
The_Technomancer said:
I would like the ability to move your respawn point if its really difficult to do. Having to trek a quarter of a mile back to base every time I die gets old fast

Make a minecart track to get back lickety-split!

Or dig a canal and use a boat.

Boonoo

The_Technomancer said:

Yeah, I think that would be nice. The guy making it has said, though, that he isn't going to add movable spawn points. He wants players to rely on in game transportation. To that end I think he's going to add powered minecarts and teleportation and whatnot.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ok, I've written up my own quick start guide in the OP. If you're new to the game, that should explain the basics and get you on your way.

And Boonoo, I find your avatar both unsettling and gross.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I added stairs leading up to the house!

MCstairlight3.jpg

It looks cool and its a good monster deterrent. When monsters approach they go in all different directions so a two block wide staircase is impossible for them to go up... except for when I first made the stairs. Somehow a zombie rushed straight up to my doorstep. Thats the first time a monster has been in front of my new home, soliciting its services. I won't have none of that! I went through the back, snuck up and bludgeoned him with a stick right off the mountain. "Get off my lawn!"

MCmountainotherside.jpg

This is the other side of the mountain. It doesn't look quite as epic as the front but the continuously inclining grass is great at keeping monsters from spawning... except for that one time a spider spawned behind my house. I hit him off the mountain with a stick. "Get out of my backyard!"

MCmining.jpg

This side is where I do most of my mining. As you can see (by torch light) the outer rim of the mountain is filled with caves. After finishing the stairs I decided to explore other caves to look for precious metals to make better tools. The blocks that I thought were gold were indeed iron ore and I was able to make an iron pickaxe. Felt good to finally make some metal.

Entering another cave I saw cobblestone just a few feet away "...what, cobblestone? Fire? This is a dungeon!" M first dungeon. I was not expecting to find a dungeon without some digging so I was a bit surprised. I was definitely ill prepared and ran out of there quick. I still hadn't figured out how to make many important tools, including the sword. I spent the night trying different formulas. About a quarter to morning I finally got it and made a sword, shovel and axe. I was ready.

MCdungeonsupplies.jpg

These were my supplies. Notice something off? Yes, the mud. It's in the first spot, even. Some would say "Why bring mud to a knife fight?"

MCdoubledungeon.jpg

Thats why. When I charged in to battle (slowly inched around the corner) I discovered there were two monster spawn rooms. Left was skeletons and right was spiders. What the hell. It was too late to turn back and I attempted to fight them off all at the same time. I tried to take out the spider spawn first which was a mistake in hindsight. The skeletons would pop out and shoot me from far away so I'd run to them, then another spider would spawn and the pattern would continue. I was on my last leg but then I remembered... mud! I ran to the skeleton spawn and patched it up quick. I made quick work of the spiders after that. Thank you, Mud. As I always say "Mud is yer Bud."

The loot:

MCdungeon1loot.jpg

I got some spider webs, wheat, bread, two buckets, a piggy saddle and red rocks baby! Yeah! That was the hardest fight so far. They made me eat all of my cooked bacon.

...But wait, the skeletons are still sealed in their room. Maybe there was another treasure chest in there? I went home to recover and gather more pig meats. The next day I went back down and fought the skeletons. It was more of a technical battle as I had to time when to dodge the arrows and strike. The fight was easier overall but they did make me eat all of my cooked bacon again. Unfortunately there was not another chest but I at least got a new material: moss cobblestone.

I had a hard time finding the right cave because they're all marked with mud towers. An idea popped into my head.

MCdungeonmarker.jpg

When marking a cave I can place another block type in there to signal whats in the cave. So moss cobblestone would mark dungeons.

MCwatermarker.jpg

And glass would mark water! Wow, its working already!

I haven't done it yet, but cobblestone will mark lava and refined stone will mark minerals. If I abandon a mine I will remove the marker blocks so its just a mud tower.

My next goal is to figure out how to make armor and arrows. (Don't tell me, I'll figure it out.) After that I'm going to head west to do some exploring. Building my mountain-side base is on the back-burner for now. I need more experience.

Sorry these posts are kind of long. I like writing a story and going into detail about every little thing. I kind of get obsessed and spend too much time writing. "This was cool and this ties in with this! See? So clever. Yes, YES!" I hope you enjoy them. :)

thefil

I like the idea of signifying things. I decided to build a pillar to designate entrances to my base, but it's gotten slightly out of hand... I'll show it later.

For now, a few questions:
* how do you get string?
* how do you farm?
* most importantly: how does the minecart work? Do I need to respect physics?

Blizzard

Banned
thefil said:
I like the idea of signifying things. I decided to build a pillar to designate entrances to my base, but it's gotten slightly out of hand... I'll show it later.

For now, a few questions:
* how do you get string?
* how do you farm?
* most importantly: how does the minecart work? Do I need to respect physics?
String only comes from killing spiders, and the two that I've killed so far have both hurt me, and NEITHER has given me string. If there's a special weapon you need to use, someone please tell me, because I want a bow (even though I guess bows might wear out like swords?).

Nice work guessing your own recipes. I'm trying not to use guides too much aside from recipe/smelting guides...I guess I'm okay with not discovering all that stuff myself. I was trying to make my first chest from memory without checking the webpage, and I apparently made a minecart...which turned black, glitched into a wall, and then I apparently got in and suffocated to death (I thought I tried right clicking but it didn't even get me out?). Fortunately I got most all of my stuff back again. The hardest part every time I die is figuring out the right way up the huge mountain I picked for home. :lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I make my towers huge so I can see them from really far away.

EDIT: I guess I should say tall. 12 blocks minimum with a torch on the top.

Blizzard

Banned
Well now I have to tear myself away. Thanks for all the help and input -- certainly worth $13 in my opinion even though I already liked the free building mode. It seems like such a simple, silly game, and yet when you're locked in your dark mud hut, and you get the bacon cooking to provide your only real light, it's very satisfying. :D

Next up: A complicated scheme wherein our hero places a LADDER up the obnoxious cliff face so it's easier to come back from the bottom. Maybe I should save the ladders for mines, but eh. I assume zombies/creepers can climb ladders?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom