• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

For people wanting to try an Alpha Lite version, click here
It has building with blocks, but no crafting and it has the survival aspect of enemies. It isn't terribly fun if you can't craft plus it is one of the earliest things so it's very very simple and doesn't have any of the cool updates. I only recommend it to get the hang of surviving.

click here for the actual building of minecraft, alot more fun to try out since it has infinite blocks and all. You won't be disappointed!

For all the people that want to try but not pay yet.

Fitz

FUCKING CATTLE! I'm trying to get a farm going but every time I seem to be getting somewhere a bunch of sheep or cows just spawn on the area and trample all over my crops. Does anyone know a reliable way to prevent animals from spawning in an area? The area I'm doing my farming is a floating bit of land, 10x10 squares and the only entrance is from the closed door to my house. It's just infuriating.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Colkate said:
FUCKING CATTLE! I'm trying to get a farm going but every time I seem to be getting somewhere a bunch of sheep or cows just spawn on the area and trample all over my crops. Does anyone know a reliable way to prevent animals from spawning in an area? The area I'm doing my farming is a floating bit of land, 10x10 squares and the only entrance is from the closed door to my house. It's just infuriating.

Animals only spawn where there's grass. So either remove all grass or.. yeah, that's pretty much all i can think of.

Which, btw, is kind of awesome on a snowy level. There's always animals spawning on a tree a couple steps from my house. Used to make for nice bacon hunt, but now is mostly cows and pigs don't drop as much bacon as before for me.

Fitz

Hmm, in that case I'll replace the grass around my crops that I used as board walks with either wood or gravel, thanks for the info.

Ferrio

Banned
Anyway to grow grass? IE turn a dirt block into dirt+grass top. Does using a hoe eventually revert it to grass?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Colkate said:
Hmm, in that case I'll replace the grass around my crops that I used as board walks with either wood or gravel, thanks for the info.

Also try building a glass dome over your crops like a greenhouse.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Alright, I'd built a small dome and been making a random mine in a nearby cliff for metal and stone, and now its time to begin construction of The Technomancer's Sprawling Insane Fortress on a Precipice (tm)

Fitz

Ferrio said:
Anyway to grow grass? IE turn a dirt block into dirt+grass top. Does using a hoe eventually revert it to grass?

From the wiki:
Grassguidesniper2.png

luka said:

Interesting idea, definitely something I'll think about as I've got lots of spare sand and coal. Does it have any kind of effect on the crops?

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Hit the jackpot while mining earlier - 40+ iron, some gold (what can I use gold for?) and some diamonds. Also filled up a few buckets with lava :D

Max

I am not Max
K2Valor said:
Hit the jackpot while mining earlier - 40+ iron, some gold (what can I use gold for?) and some diamonds. Also filled up a few buckets with lava :D
Armor. Gold is useless for tools, I think it has the strength of iron and the speed of wood but it makes good armor.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
luka said:
MNC said:
Really? that has effect? God damn!
While it'll look all kinds of awesome, i don't think that's any different than making a solid dirt or stone "greenhouse". You can use torches to make stuff grow at night, so you can technically use torches to make stuff grow "indoors". I don't know if torches + natural light makes the crops grow faster than either option by itself.

However, a glass greenhouse will look much cooler. I'm planning to make one specially since I'm on a snowy map. I guess i'll have to keep torches on top of the lighthouse to keep the snow from building up on the glass (and torches inside to keep the crops growing at night).

G-Fex

I built a dirt house and then added a second story to it, I go upstairs at night and look out my makeshift window and look at the zombies and whatever else there is out there. I wish I had a gun.

Question, I smelted stone, and according to that crafting guide I should be able to make armor out of it, why doesn't it do so though?

Ferrio

Banned
G-Fex said:
I built a dirt house and then added a second story to it, I go upstairs at night and look out my makeshift window and look at the zombies and whatever else there is out there. I wish I had a gun.

Question, I smelted stone, and according to that crafting guide I should be able to make armor out of it, why doesn't it do so though?

Can't make stone armor I believe. Cloth/leather/iron/diamond I think.

Blizzard

Banned
G-Fex said:
I think classic survival had arrows, though I never figured out how to get a bow. Was that removed? (sorry if stupid question, I can check the wiki later for all the weapon types)

The Technomancer

So I'm trying to build a bridge straight out from a high cliff, but its problematic because you have to see the front side of whatever block you're going to place on, which requires getting dangerously near the leading edge of the bridge and turning to see a sliver of the front face. Am I missing an easier way to do this?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
thefil said:
How do I use my workbench?

Put it in one of your quickslots, then select it so it's in your hand, then right click on a flat block in front of you. That will place it. Right click on it once it's placed to use it.

Damn, I built up such a nice tower and shit and then I wanted to get some more wood and a creeper was right behind me (daytime!) and bam, dead. I have no idea where my tower and my mine are :( Now I need to use the cartograph lol

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
thefil said:
Where can I get the materials for a torch?

I put 3 links in the OP. Two are starter guides, and the third is the crafting Wiki which explains how to make everything in the game.

Keep them up in a browser as you play.

I'm glad I found my tower again. I wasn't that much off! Only one hill away and got there before the night came.

I wouldn't have survived this I guess
otmf43.jpg

btw: Can I gather the arrows the skeleton shot at my tower?

The Technomancer

The ground all around my current home is basically just pits that the creepers exploded. >_< Good thing construction on the doom fortress is beginning

ant_

Did some exploring, found a nice mountain that is already hollowed out. My next base of operations. Currently building an incredibly long bridge, piece by piece, to my second home. I keep falling off :(

Blizzard

Banned
I'm going to buy it tonight, the Paypal transfer finally went through.

...just in time for GIANT ZOMBIES. :lol (I guess I'll find out soon enough, but are update checks mandatory? Can you keep playing an old version in case a new version is buggy for instance?)

About Macs, I've heard one report of someone's finder crashing...I'm not sure if it's a memory leak with Java being greedy for memory or what. I don't remember that person posting if they solved it or not.

ant_

Duelist said:
This game looks pretty neat. About to buy it, just one question. Will it run fine on a Macbook?
I have to lower the graphical settings a bit (normal draw distance and "fast" graphics) but it runs perfectly fine on mine.

The Technomancer

K2Valor said:
Did some exploring, found a nice mountain that is already hollowed out. My next base of operations. Currently building an incredibly long bridge, piece by piece, to my second home. I keep falling off :(
You too, huh?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I think I've figured out why this game is so scary:

the sound.

OMG does this game have terrifying sound design.

- You're minding your own business, mining by yourself deep underground. Suddenly you hear FOOTSTEPS somewhere through the stone wall you're mining out. Why is there footsteps here I don't even :(

- In your house at night. You hear a hissing noise that slowly gets louder, louder, LOUDER, until it is immediately on the other side of the wall of your dirt house.

I've played Resident Evil, Silent Hill, etc., but that shit is SCARY.

Fitz

GDJustin said:
the sound.

Totally 100% agree. Especially as monsters seem to have the same volume at different distances, or at least the moans, so you may think a monster is behind a wall, then BAM! You're getting smacked in the head from behind. Also, there's risk, the fact that you can lose a lot of precious items when you die, especially the farther you are from your initial spawn makes getting killed something you want to avoid unlike lots of game.

Duelist

Blizzard said:
I'm going to buy it tonight, the Paypal transfer finally went through.

...just in time for GIANT ZOMBIES. :lol (I guess I'll find out soon enough, but are update checks mandatory? Can you keep playing an old version in case a new version is buggy for instance?)

About Macs, I've heard one report of someone's finder crashing...I'm not sure if it's a memory leak with Java being greedy for memory or what. I don't remember that person posting if they solved it or not.

K2Valor said:
I have to lower the graphical settings a bit (normal draw distance and "fast" graphics) but it runs perfectly fine on mine.

Thanks guys. Bought! :)

The Technomancer

GDJustin said:

the sound.

- You're minding your own business, mining by yourself deep underground. Suddenly you hear FOOTSTEPS somewhere through the stone wall you're mining out. Why is there footsteps here I don't even :(

- In your house at night. You hear a hissing noise that slowly gets louder, louder, LOUDER, until it is immediately on the other side of the wall of your dirt house.

I know exactly what you mean! This is the most terrifying game I've played in ages. I think its also that you die so easily in the beginning, so every encounter is an "ohshitohshitohshitHESGOTAGRENADE!" kind of experience.

GDJustin said:

the sound.

Yes, sometimes this game scares me more than penumbra did

FlyinJ said:
Spotted today on the main forum after the update:

2wednw1.jpg

Uh oh...

This makes me so happy. I was just thinking how awesome it would be if this game had a few "boss" monsters that were truly imposing. Maybe even some that hunt the entire map for you once they know of your existence.

Razorskin

----- ------
Thank god my underwater base is impenetrable, though some goddamn skeleton is in the walls, I keep hearing it. Do creatures drown? Because it sounds like he's in the water above me.

ant_

The_Technomancer said:
I know exactly what you mean! This is the most terrifying game I've played in ages. I think its also that you die so easily in the beginning, so every encounter is an "ohshitohshitohshitHESGOTAGRENADE!" kind of experience.

My first night in this game I spent holed up in a cave, and my only defense was a dirty wall with one open space that all the monsters were trying to get through. I had no light either, it was fucking scary

Blizzard

Banned
K2Valor said:
My first night in this game I spent holed up in a cave, and my only defense was a dirty wall with one open space that all the monsters were trying to get through. I had no light either, it was fucking scary
Even in the free version I was like, this is pretty simple, there are only a few skeletons, and I'll just go across this water...and then they kept chasing me and I was having to race to mine enough material to barricade myself in a tunnel. :lol (I think I later realized I could have just punched them to death)

The_Technomancer said:
So I'm trying to build a bridge straight out from a high cliff, but its problematic because you have to see the front side of whatever block you're going to place on, which requires getting dangerously near the leading edge of the bridge and turning to see a sliver of the front face. Am I missing an easier way to do this?

1. go down to the ground below the end of your bridge. Use the shadow to determine the exact square underneath the end and center of the bridge.
2. Walk four spaces further in the direction the bridge is going.
3. Look straight down.
4. Jump, and while you're in midair, place a block.
5. Place a block on an adjacent space.
6. Keep building up this two square thick column until you're at a point where your view is aligned one square below your bridge. Then add onto the bridge until its right above you.
7. Move over to the adjacent space on your column, and add two blocks to the space you were just standing on to connect to the column to the bridge.
8. On the space you're standing on, dig down until you reach the ground.
9. Repeat this column and bridge building process every four steps.

Alternatively, you can do what I did and just build up a one square wide column to add on to the bridge, then just dig your way back down the column. Once you finish the length of the bridge you can add the columns back. This way the columns don't need to be 4 squares apart. (mine were actually 20 apart)

Can anyone explain how armor works? Wiki says it nullifies all damage, but then what do armor points do? And what would be the point in wearing a full suit of armor of armor nullifies all damage?

(I've been playing on peaceful, but I'm gonna start a new world with monsters soon)

Fitz

HappyBivouac said:
Can anyone explain how armor works? Wiki says it nullifies all damage, but then what do armor points do? And what would be the point in wearing a full suit of armor of armor nullifies all damage?

The wiki description seems a bit odd. Pretty much though, all armour parts (as in gold legs, or iron legs) add the same amount of protection, however as you take damage, the armour loses durability and thus offers less protection, so the main difference between materials is how long they stay in good quality. I'm like 90% certain that's how it works, someone feel free to mock/correct me if I'm totally wrong.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Blizzard said:
Even in the free version I was like, this is pretty simple, there are only a few skeletons, and I'll just go across this water...and then they kept chasing me and I was having to race to mine enough material to barricade myself in a tunnel. :lol (I think I later realized I could have just punched them to death)

Where is the free version with enemies? Ive only ever played minecraft classic which doesnt really have much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom