• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm STILL waiting on Paypal to add a few dollars to my account. It's predicted to finally go through tomorrow. :lol

I really hope the guy keeps adding neat things to the game, but also makes it keep a lot of capabilities for construction (in creative mode as well as survival). Even just one more set of tiled block patterns/colors would be awesome. A flying/noclip option for creative mode that doesn't require hacks would also be great.

So I build a house and accidentally die. I wander aimlessly for around 8 hours hiding in random caves lit by torches from night to night. Living off the land so to speak until I find my house again. I finally die again and start wandering again. Well, I find my house like 100 yards from the respawn :lol

Now I am building huge tunnels above ground to a couple spots I think could be really good mining.

Max

I am not Max
TheExecutive said:
So I build a house and accidentally die. I wander aimlessly for around 8 hours hiding in random caves lit by torches from night to night. Living off the land so to speak until I find my house again. I finally die again and start wandering again. Well, I find my house like 100 yards from the respawn :lol

Now I am building huge tunnels above ground to a couple spots I think could be really good mining.
Wandering for 8 hours? o.o

You could have just built a new one! :lol

Edit: after typing that out wandering for 8 hours doesn't sound like a bad thing, this game is so fun in every way its just what you make of it

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I re-rolled a new world and really liked my spawn - I started on a small(ish) island, with a mountain just across the water. The mountain has lava exposed to the open air spilling over the side.

I decided to make that whole island my base... and man, it does NOT seem that small when it is up to me to tame the whole thing!! Had to find and mine enough coal to make 50+ torches to light it all, had to mine several hundred stone to build an outer wall, etc. It's taken me all evening just to make this island a safe zone.

Anyway, does anyone know how to channel lava? I think I might made that my next project. Like... what's the first step to redirect the lavafall in the direction I want?

bathala

Banned
really interested buying the game, but I don't to try the alpha version 1st before committing.

I wish there's a trial version

Max

I am not Max
bathala said:
really interested buying the game, but I don't to try the alpha version 1st before committing.

I wish there's a trial version
Just watch that video over and over until it convinces you

I've already spent more hours on this $14 game than most $30+ games that I've bought, money well spent

_Bro

Banned
Well it's still in Alpha, mang. You're buying it as it gets updated, which is pretty much every Friday.

It's worth it.

Kept restarting but I like my world now.

I have a building that I'm slowly extending farther and farther up a mountain. Its not very big or great looking(it has a balcony!) but it works. I'm trying to think of ways to make it look a bit nicer. There is a small waterfall going through the first two floors that I throw trash down :lol I've gone with ladders for changing floors because building stairs kind of take too much space (again, not a huge place length x width wise).

Finally found a series of deep caves leading to lots of iron and I can see some redstone and gold around too. Lava and water everywhere though, not sure how to go about setting up a nice mining system.

The caves in this game are really creepy. Strange noises always making me nervous.

Very glad I bought this, only thing I want to play now. :D

Max said:
Wandering for 8 hours? o.o

You could have just built a new one! :lol

Edit: after typing that out wandering for 8 hours doesn't sound like a bad thing, this game is so fun in every way its just what you make of it

No way mang. I had a mine and everything. I had to get home!:lol Oh and it was a hell of a lot of fun wandering and then building temporary shelters every night. Saw some cool shit. I would do it again but I am too chicken.

Max said:
Just watch that video over and over until it convinces you

I've already spent more hours on this $14 game than most $30+ games that I've bought, money well spent

spent more time on this game than all the games I bought during the steam sale combined.

filipe

Glad to finally a thread on this gem! Now to invade the "High Resolution" topic!

By far one of my favourite games. Started in the multiplayer version, but ended up buying it just for skins. Didn't really care about the indev, but when I started playing it finally... just wow. This game will only go up.

Edit:

If you want the true MC experience, turn the difficulty to up. It's really the only way to play, IMO.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Don't know how I missed this thread as these type of games are ones I long for.

I tried out the free single player and was impressed, jumped onto the multiplayer and was simply floored at some of the designs people had made. Going to buy it now and give it a whirl for real.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Okay, finally bought it through a friend of mine, and I'm loving it so far.

Anyone else playing on OS X though? I'm having an issue where every fifteen minutes or so Finder resets (I think), and when I reboot Minecraft my inventory is preserved but some modifications I had made to the world had reset. It was weird.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Here's another great tip:

Put a block down and stand directly on top of it and look down. Hold another block in your hand and jump up and hit the right button immediately after. This will put a block directly below you. Keep repeating this and you can basically go as high as you want to.

HOWEVER- after every 4 blocks you go up, drop down to one side and repeat the process. This way you build up 2 columns of blocks right next to each other that go all the way up. You can then smash down with your pick axe through one of the columns to get back down.

I make one of these towers with a torch on top whenever I find something worth exploring. They make amazing landmarks that can be seen from miles around.

filipe

The_Technomancer said:
Okay, finally bought it through a friend of mine, and I'm loving it so far.

Anyone else playing on OS X though? I'm having an issue where every fifteen minutes or so Finder resets (I think), and when I reboot Minecraft my inventory is preserved but some modifications I had made to the world had reset. It was weird.

Possibly check for an update to Java? Go through the updater Mac provides.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I think I spoke too soon on the whole "no monsters at the top of the mountain" thing. It takes them about half the night to climb to my position and thats if they don't fall as its a treacherous climb. If they do make it it's basically impossible for them to get all the way up. Right at my doorstep the terrain becomes steep and narrow. In the morning I have to kill the stranglers if I want to go down in that direction but it gives me good monster fighting experience. Always have the high ground!

mcmountainmonsters2.jpg

Why don't creepers burn when the sun comes up?! They're the worst. One morning I was in the inventory screen and a creeper came behind me and blew me up in the middle of my developing house. :( How the hell he got back there I'll never know.

MCfinishedhouse2.jpg

And here it is! My house on top of the mountain! Looks good if I do say so myself. :D

MCfinishedhouse3.jpg

Night-time shot. It was very risky staying out the whole night to get this picture. The clouds would not let up. After 5 minutes of waiting and thinking "well, maybe the monsters aren't so bad" I finally got the shot and right on cue a spider starts hitting me from behind. I decide I need some web and start hitting it with a stick and the spider knocks me down the hill. Waiting for me were his friends, skeleton and zombie! So I ran my ass back to the house and close the door. If I was not in easy mode I probably would have died. It was close.

It was a good experience though as I have a better idea of how the monsters work. Based on previous experiences on the roofs of my other houses and this night-time excursion, the monsters spawn at night in all directions around you. How close they spawn to you depends on terrain and torch placement. After they spawn it is their mission to close in on you. Go to a high point as its harder for them to traverse the terrain. You've got a good 3-5 minutes before they reach you if you're standing still.

MCnewhome4.jpg

The front.

MCfinishedhouseinterior.jpg

The interior. Some features: A spiral staircase to the roof. Windows made for watching the sun and moon rise and set. A back door. A hole that will lead to my mountain-side base. And...

mcflowerwindow.jpg

A window looking out to the lone yellow flower. :)

MCroof.jpg

Keeping with the theme of my other houses I have full access to the roof. Now that I've created a bow I can do more than looking at the scenery. I also made a treasure chest which I needed badly because my inventory screen was full.

So much work went into making this fairly small home. I had to mine all the stone and put it in the furnace. Mining the coal in caves with monsters close but they rarely came out, making me check over my shoulder every second. I made the design based on the land, so those stairs leading to the back door was where the grass inclined. I laid the foundation with stone (real stone too, not cobblestone) even though I wont see it. I couldn't go further than the flower because it would be wrong to destroy it. I would have made the lookout tower/spiral staircase 2x higher but the artificial roof kept it down.

While building I heard a loud gust of wind and something that sounded like a motorcycle. What in the hell is out there?

My next goal is to mine some metal but all I see is gold (it might be iron ore though, I need to check again.)

Superbank, keep up the adventuring journal. Favorite part about this thread.
And as soon as I get some money to spare, this game is SO BOUGHT.

superbank

Pinko Marx said:
Superbank, keep up the adventuring journal. Favorite part about this thread.
And as soon as I get some money to spare, this game is SO BOUGHT.

Thanks! My plan is to update every day.

Pikelet

I think the next logical step for this game is to have some way to automate mining, perhaps being able to buy dwarfs or something to gather materials for you. It is a bit weird to have this huge fortress built with only one occupant.

Aaron

Pikelet said:
I think the next logical step for this game is to have some way to automate mining, perhaps being able to buy dwarfs or something to gather materials for you. It is a bit weird to have this huge fortress built with only one occupant.
This is why people are waiting on multiplayer. Complex AI might be beyond the scope of the project, but I can see machinery being introduced in the latter stages that would either speed up or automate certain things. I personally find it pretty fast work to quarry stone though.

GDJustin

Aaron said:
This is why people are waiting on multiplayer. Complex AI might be beyond the scope of the project, but I can see machinery being introduced in the latter stages that would either speed up or automate certain things. I personally find it pretty fast work to quarry stone though.

It wouldn't use AI. The player would designate. You would tell your workers start here, dig 3x3, and dig 15 squares deep. Then they would dig that shaft.

GDJustin

Superbank, what you need to do now is make the mountain itself part of your home. Dig down and clear it out and make a few (well-lit!) basement levels. Have a few large windows peering out from the side of the cliff-face, and back-light them with candles. It'll look badass, and (hopefully) a little bit like Ironforge:

Then what is your current "house" will just be the top spire.

ironforge.sized.png

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Pikelet said:

dott3.png

So I finally managed to make a decent base; dug into the side of a mountain, reasonable amount of coal and stone nearby, well lit, furnaces, even a front door!

Anyway off I went on a wood logging expedition, only to struggle to relocate my lair. Getting darker all the time, I panicked (as I had broken all my pickaxes), so rapidly crafted a workbench and whipped up a crappy wooden pickaxe.

Started digging in a frenzy into the size of the mountain, hoping to stumble into one of the halls I had hollowed out, filling in the passage I was digging behind me with dirt for protection.

Eventually I happen upon my home base :)

And then died. Apparently I left my beloved front door open and a skeleton got in, and is now running amok! Have died twice so far trying to oust said interloper!

Man I'm such a hermit in the game, didn't realise the map could get so big! My strategy is normally to build a base and then tunnel everywhere. On my first I built on an island and then dug down and found a massive cave system, but kept getting lost. This time I'm building into a mountainside and I'm going to try and keep my mining organised.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Caved in (pun intended) and bought this game today. Holy shit, I've been playing all night. Have a pretty deep mine. The "living room" is at the beginning of the mine and contains a big box, workbench, and two furnaces. I have a door into my mine for late night returns.

There is a ladder in my living room that leads to the top of my mountain, where my house is being built. So far the house has two stories, an entrance, and a balcony. :D

Important question! Can monsters trigger the stone stepping plates?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
How the hell are you guys getting life back? All the abundance of bacon is now gone on the latest patch, and farming wheat is a royal pain in the ass without a proper greenhouse. What are you guys doing?

Edit: Oh god. I can't take a screenshot of said place (i have no idea why), but I started digging down in an amazing cave beside my house, i foudn a HUUUUGE underwater cave/tunnel system with multiple water and lava fountains. Eventually I found gold and decided to make an eay access tunnel Well, i did it, made a new house donwstairs, started remodelling, made all this awesome loot (a couple of gold, lots of iron) and ultimately died twice, one to a monster and the last one to the most stupid thing: I fell into a lava pit i was putting glass over for some natural light. Lost all my shit, but my new base of operations was made.

So I'm expanding my base (looking around water fountains for gold) and i keep hearing a buttload of enemies. I started digging and I hit the so called dungeon area, with a chest and a monster respawn area. I still didn't go inside it because i'm really low on health and the goddamn pigs don't give me bacon anymore. This game is awesome.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
drizzle said:
How the hell are you guys getting life back? All the abundance of bacon is now gone on the latest patch, and farming wheat is a royal pain in the ass without a proper greenhouse. What are you guys doing?

I've been getting meat fine from pigs since the latest patch...

Aaron

It's random for me. Most pigs I kill give me nothing, though occasionally I'll get bacon. I wish I could get meat from cows and sheep.

Kritz

Banned
I find if I spend a day murdering pigs and cows and shit I have enough delicious bacon to last me for weeks.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I started off on peaceful cause I am a pussy.

Found a rather large cave, decided to stock up and such. One thing I love is that I set out in the morning, went quite deep into the cave and saw a beautiful waterfall that ended up in a big underground lake. Decided to head back and the sun was rising again :lol

Aaron

My favorite thing in the game is probably how the water works. I've already cut several canals to get it flow the way I want. I have a bucket to create one on instant, but haven't needed to use it. I cut off a river intersecting lava and it left that lovely purple rock behind. I kind of wish there was wind in this game. I definitely wish there was rain. I wouldn't mind a volcano exploding and spewing ash all over the place.

Another funny thing is in the Lord of the Rings I never understood why the dwarves were so fond of mines and doing all that crazy digging with those massive halls... and now in this game, I'm doing exactly that. I'm taking natural caverns, mining them out of minerals, and now beginning to shape them into majestic halls. For glory!

Elves are still lame though.

Kritz

Banned
Man I just spent 2 hours OCDing over the fact my mountain that my house is in isn't perfectly shaped. Still needs work.

Also, I have torches everywhere making pathes to the mines I use. I have found they are a delicious source of bacon at night time because the animals flock to the pathways, so I just run down them whacking my sword off and collecting my rewards.

K2Valor said:
Can anyone explain how to add themes/character skins?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=22466172&postcount=304

dat dar :eek:

superbank

GDJustin said:
Superbank, what you need to do now is make the mountain itself part of your home. Dig down and clear it out and make a few (well-lit!) basement levels. Have a few large windows peering out from the side of the cliff-face, and back-light them with candles. It'll look badass, and (hopefully) a little bit like Ironforge:

Then what is your current "house" will just be the top spire.

Thats what I'm planning. :D That picture is giving me some good ideas too. Its gonna look epic.

Billen

Banned
I am so happy that I bought this game. Spent a loong time yesterday respawning levels until I found one that "felt" right. Once I had spawned a couple of great looking levels I started exploring, building myself a tower each time nightfall came and then tearing it down once it turned day again.

God/Satan/Allah/Dietyofyourownpick damn I love this game. The feeling in it is just awesome. Spent some time strip mining and then went to find some caves.

This game is pure magic and it is truly a really good example of what open games should strive to be. I love you, Minecraft. Now on to keep reaming of the upcoming NeoGAF servers while I work. :D

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
FINALLY. Just found my first ever dungeon. Had to dig through gravel to get to the chest but i'm happy :D
Pig saddle ftw.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom