• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fitz

Take a look at this, mentions the different things available in different modes. Alpha is the version most people are playing I guess.

Well, I know that's what I've been playing.

Boonoo

Ferrio said:
Glass is. Put sand in furnace I thought?

It's in the infdev version, but not survival, apparently. All these different game modes are tricky.

It seems the main two are classic and infdev. Survival seems to be an older version that's still floating around for free.

Max

I am not Max
Boonoo said:
It's in the infdev version, but not survival, apparently. All these different game modes are tricky.

It seems the main two are classic and infdev. Survival seems to be an older version that's still floating around for free.
Glass is in Survival. Classic is the old unsupported version where you build whatever with unlimited blocks. Infdev was renamed to Alpha and is the current Survival game type, which you pay for.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Ah, but glass isn't available in Survival.

EDIT: Neither is obsidian! Damn. I would have used that. I think I'll still make one in Creative.

? They both are. Smelt sand to get glass. Obsidian is there but crazy hard to find, let alone gather.

I like the idea of obsidian being the only block unaffected by gravity. I hope that gets put in soon. It would make floating structures much more impressive.

Dineren said:
Not really. You could build up blocks to the level of the bridge and add on to the end and then mine back down, move over, and start again, but that would take forever and would be impossible in many places.

Meh, I did this over the course of a few hours yesterday going from my spawn point to the mountain I'm building my fortress into. Sort of SotC style. It's 3 blocks wide and roughly 865 blocks long. It wasn't that bad. Did it by building cloumns up from the ground. It's never impossible, just really difficult in places. :lol (note: I was playing on Peaceful when I built that)

epic_bridge_map.png

bridgeview3.png

bridgeview2.png

bridgeview1.png

etc.

GDJustin said:
By the way, I strongly encourage aspiring builders to build with proper STONE and not the cobblestone that is generated from mining:

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Furnace
http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Stone

It is smoother and in my opinion gives off a more civilized/modern and domestic aesthetic. Things built out of it look like proper man-made structures.

It's crafting recipe isn't too terrible, either. Cobblestone in a lit furnace is turned into proper stone. One coal in a furnace lasts for 8 operations. So you can dump a stack of 64 cobblestone in a furnace with 8 coal, and when you come back you'll have 64 stones.

Of course, this does make the resource gathering process a little silly: stone --> cobblestone ---> stone. But still... my project tonight is going to be to transition my cobblestone structure into a proper stone one, besides a few accents.

re: constructing bridges - building a ramp/scaffold system out of dirt will probably take much less time than you're guessing. Just do it quick and dirty.

Pff. Cobblestone has a nice texture to it. Why would I spend extra time to make my materials more boring?

Boonoo

Max said:
Glass is in Survival. Classic is the old unsupported version where you build whatever with unlimited blocks. Infdev was renamed to Alpha and is the current Survival game type, which you pay for.

Well, there's a old, unsupported survival, too. From the wiki. This is the one that doesn't have glass, I believe.

Survival is the second released game mode of Minecraft. Anyone can play it regardless of premium membership. It is an early version of the game's survival mode, and was succeeded by Indev as a survival test game. Survival mode is now under "Minecraft Classic" and cannot be found by links on the official Minecraft site. If you wish to play it, click here.

Max said:
Bivouac was that overhead map picture generated in Cartograph or something else?

Generated in cartograph, then cropped.

Cartograph + Photoshop has been extremely useful. Change your ruler units in PS to pixels, then drag a selection box from one point on your map to another, open the "info" tab (under Window) and you can see the pixel dimensions of your selection. Add width to height and you've got an approximation of the distance, in blocks, from one point on your map to another.

Boonoo

HappyBivouac said:
Meh, I did this over the course of a few hours yesterday going from my spawn point to the mountain I'm building my fortress into. Sort of SotC style. It's 3 blocks wide and roughly 865 blocks long. It wasn't that bad. Did it by building cloumns up from the ground. It's never impossible, just really difficult in places. :lol (note: I was playing on Peaceful when I built that)

Now if only you could get water flowing in it you'd have a proper roman aquaduct! I think it would be possible. You'd have to build edges along it, then you'd have to continually put more water sources in it so that it would fill properly. But once full you could boat back and forth!

Boonoo said:
Now if only you could get water flowing in it you'd have a proper roman aquaduct! I think it would be possible. You'd have to build edges along it, then you'd have to continually put more water sources in it so that it would fill properly. But once full you could boat back and forth!

I was considering that, but I need a break from working on the thing for now. :lol

I was originally gonna put a minecart track along it, but then i found out it wouldn't work.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
My rough plan right now is to have a sky bridge with a tree farm and wheat farm up there. Seems a more Minecraft-y way to keep them safe from creepers than just building a mote. I mean what's the fun in that?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
HappyBivouac said:
I was considering that, but I need a break from working on the thing for now. :lol

I was originally gonna put a minecart track along it, but then i found out it wouldn't work.

Why would the minecart track not work?

Ferrio

Banned
Multiplayer update status!

Notch said:
Today, I implemented destroyed blocks dropping resources for all players and a whole bunch of infrastructure such as automatically sending entities in chunks when the player gets close, and removing them when they leave, and a very nice method for predicting block changes clientside in a secure way that can’t cause the game to go out of synch. I also finished up a whole lot of rendering stuff, such as animating when players move, interpolating positions and rotations, and displaying their names above player heads (semi transparent if hidden by a wall).

I also added support for whole bunch of fancy characters, like Å, ü, Ç and ê. I can’t add ALL characters, but if an important one is missing, let me know. I have space for another 100 characters or so.

Next up is support for inventory management, crafting, and item dropping. And chatting. Private testing is close, probably tomorrow or thursday. The public testing (with downloadable servers) is almost certainly coming within two weeks or so. I hope. :D

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I just discovered something extremely useful. Maybe everyone knows this, but anyhow:

If you're crafting items that stack (such as raw wood into planks, wooden sticks, torches, etc), you can not only stack ingredients to make multiples, but if you do this, you can just keep left clicking on the crafted object and it will make a stack on your cursor up to 64.

Before I was click-drop click-drop-ing whenever I was mass producing. This makes things a ton faster.

Dragnet

Psyched for MP! I'd better get working on creating some traps so I can properly defend my bases..right now the only traps I know are deep moats to for enemies to get stuck in and deep pools for them to drown in, and humans aren't gonna be fooled by those!

imprecise!

Neo Member
Is the respawn point the same as where you initially begin the game? I died for the first time (at the hands of several skeletons) and can't find my way back to my mountain keep. I feel like I've wandered for miles looking for it but I didn't go too far from the original spawn point when i built it, so maybe I've wandered too far?

edit: Yeah, respawn point is the same as original spawn point. I died again, respawned, and walked about a minute in the opposite direction and finally found my home.

Vinci

Danish
Nightshade1765 said:
Got to the part with the insane underground cavern base, and I closed out and bought it right then and there. :lol

Yeah, I have to buy this thing after seeing that video. Damn it. Looks amazing.

Fitz

Yeah, I guess the only limit is program or system memory, whatever comes I suppose.

So I just finished my construction project, a lighthouse that reaches a reasonable way above the clouds, the top section is made of glass. I was planning on filling the top with torches, thus turning it into a massive beacon that you could see from miles away, but it seems you can't place torches on glass. :(

Kritz

Banned
Colkate said:
Yeah, I guess the only limit is program or system memory, whatever comes I suppose.

So I just finished my construction project, a lighthouse that reaches a reasonable way above the clouds, the top section is made of glass. I was planning on filling the top with torches, thus turning it into a massive beacon that you could see from miles away, but it seems you can't place torches on glass. :(

But you can place lava on glass!

For the first time I've spent some serious time in survival mode today. It's quite addicting. Something that's been on my mind is that I wonder if there's any 'strategy' to mining and finding certain ores.
I've also been thinking about what would be neat additions to this game mode; (clean) energy sources: windmills, watermills and solar panels that could power and speed up your furnace or minecart (powered tracks?) and what else would be cool for this game (a little more advanced technology?). Considering the multiplayer aspect, a large energy structure could require multiple people to build. I went searching on the forums and I found out this has all been suggested & discussed before. People seem to be very positive about this. Some interesting stuff I found:
a mockup that made notch "change his pants"
machine.gif

Chainsaws ran by energy would be cool. Could have like an energy charging dock station or something that would be powered by the planned 'solar panel' type thing notch is thinking about.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Herbspicesoy said:
For the first time I've spent some serious time in survival mode today. It's quite addicting. Something that's been on my mind is that I wonder if there's any 'strategy' to mining and finding certain ores.
I've also been thinking about what would be neat additions to this game mode; (clean) energy sources: windmills, watermills and solar panels that could power and speed up your furnace or minecart (powered tracks?) and what else would be cool for this game (a little more advanced technology?). Considering the multiplayer aspect, a large energy structure could require multiple people to build. I went searching on the forums and I found out this has all been suggested & discussed before. People seem to be very positive about this. Some interesting stuff I found:
a mockup that made notch "change his pants"

I posted this in another forum:

Add oil as a resource. Add mechanics to withdraw the oil (windmill derrick, feed coal into a furnace to power it, etc).

Oil powers vehicles.

To find oil, you can make a divining rod out of expensive ore (diamond), and it slowly degrades as you use it eventually breaking requiring you to build a new one.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ferrio said:
You know I'd rather the game not get too modern with chainsaws and stuff.

I think that would work if they required you to use up a rare resource as fuel. So you could use that rare rock of obsidian to rage around and quickly acquire a ton of wood.

One thing I love is the risk/reward ramping in this game. Stick around the surface, and you'll get some leather armor and a few creepers at night. Go deep into a cave, find a lot of iron, which you can make into iron armor... which allows you to go deeper into bigger caves, which nets even more horrible monsters that destroy your iron armor, but there is enough iron around so you can make a new set.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Silly question, but can you place stairs going up in a certain direction? They only seem oriented in one direction.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FlyinJ said:
One thing I love is the risk/reward ramping in this game. Stick around the surface, and you'll get some leather armor and a few creepers at night. Go deep into a cave, find a lot of iron, which you can make into iron armor... which allows you to go deeper into bigger caves, which nets even more horrible monsters that destroy your iron armor, but there is enough iron around so you can make a new set.

That would be the "rogue" element of the thread title :)

Edit: Well that and the randomly generated worlds.

Ferrio

Banned
FlyinJ said:
But as you can see, my incredibly crappy thread title implies that it's Minecraft minus Rogue.

But Minecraft is in the equation itself. No no no this isn't right at all.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I think the thread title should be changed to:

Minecraft - The most important game of the past five years.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
I'm just going to go out and load up one of those pre-paid cards tomorrow, it's a pain, but I need in on this. The engineer in me is in love at first sight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom