• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Metalic Sand said:
If only this was free forever. Im playing minecraft instead of Halo Reach :lol
I know. I haven't even thought of Halo: Reach all day; it's that much fun. The only gripe I have is not having any sound. I'm getting a STALKER vibe from this game because of the survival (and horror) elements. Any idea when purchasing will be back up?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Metalic Sand said:
If only this was free forever. Im playing minecraft instead of Halo Reach :lol
While you're not playing the game you bought for 60 dollars, you wish the game you are playing, which costs 13 dollars, was free forever?

does not compute.

Tiktaalik

I haven't really built an above ground house yet, just spiralled down as vertical as possible in the hopes of getting more interesting ores. It seems like nothing but cobblestone everywhere.

Is this expected? Should I be trying to traverse outward more or simply look for ore outcroppings on the world?

The Wiki is still down so sorry if this is a super obvious question.

Tiktaalik said:
I haven't really built an above ground house yet, just spiralled down as vertical as possible in the hopes of getting more interesting ores. It seems like nothing but cobblestone everywhere.

Is this expected? Should I be trying to traverse outward more or simply look for ore outcroppings on the world?

The Wiki is still down so sorry if this is a super obvious question.

You can explore the landscapes and look for cave systems in the ground. They're basically big holes in the ground/side of mountains that are pretty easy to see.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
drizzle said:
While you're not playing the game you bought for 60 dollars, you wish the game you are playing, which costs 13 dollars, was free forever?

does not compute.

Out of money atm, I will buy it soon. More like free until im payed i would like.

Rainier

My Wiki window was still open, so made this:

ioofmu.jpg

330yzoy.jpg

2zgbwbr.jpg

2vsi8vd.jpg

35hqs90.jpg

jqgrgm.jpg

2vwflf4.jpg

4qg5g1.jpg

35c07qv.jpg

I thought I'd give this a quick go since its free. That was TWELVE HOURS AGO. I've not even eaten.

castle3.jpg

castle.jpg

castle2.jpg

This is gaming cocaine. It's the purest form of gaming exploration I know of, there's absolutely nothing comparable to digging a tunnel and emerging in some lost chamber with monsters, lava, waterfalls and new shining minerals.

There are a billion franchise runners that need to play this, and understand the sheer joy of experimentation and discovery it produces.

Buying this as soon as I am able.

Blizzard

Banned
Rainier said:
My Wiki window was still open, so made this:
I started out trying to convert them to JPEG but I just made the crafting and furnace pages into PDFs instead. :lol

Blizzard said:
Here you go:

Crafting wiki as a PDF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?51jq6udlumaqj2a
Furnace wiki as a PDF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?l7v56z2ad6gpk7j

I recommend Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/) for PDF reading. Also bear in mind that since you don't get the animated GIFs, it will not be as obvious that some things (mainly weapons and armor) can use different types of material. Pick-axes can be made of wood, stone, iron, or diamond for instance, if I'm remembering correctly.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Welp thanks to this free weekend, I will def. be buying it!

Just wondering if gaf any any clues on setting up servers (well I'm sure many of you do!)

I've ran the minecraft_server.exe it's all good, but when I go to connect to my IP it says

Failed to Connect to the Server

connection refused: connect.

So I thought Maybe I've got the wrong IP address? I typed in ipconfig, got my "Default Gateway" is that correct? I tried out a site too.. seemyip.com or something and that tells me acompletly different IP address.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Mama Robotnik said:
This is gaming cocaine. It's the purest form of gaming exploration I know of, there's absolutely nothing comparable to digging a tunnel and emerging in some lost chamber with monsters, lava, waterfalls and new shining minerals.

There are a billion franchise runners that need to play this, and understand the sheer joy of experimentation and discovery it produces.

There's something so...so...satisfying about building a castle like that. I mean, you have to mine all that stone yourself, which means you have to use your own handmade tools...it feels like you've accomplished something when you step back and there on top of a cliff is your own hard-earned stone tower with crenelations, windows, and a library. And then you go back and work on adding a giant system of water canals down into the earth beneath it...

I don't think I've ever played a game that gave me such a high level of a.)delight in discovery, and b.)satisfaction, like I actually did something. Just today I went off exploring and discovered an absolutely massive lava-fall down by the ocean.

Rainier

Mama Robotnik said:
Hmm, below the waterline I see that stone is resting on dirt. For only a few hours more, you could build up a support wall on the outside of your castle below the waterline, then dig down and replace all those dirt blocks with stone blocks without fear of flooding.

I am waaay too OCD for this game. :(

Blizzard

Banned
Rainier said:
Hmm, below the waterline I see those bricks are resting on dirt. For only a few hours more, you could build up a support wall on the outside of your castle below the waterline, then dig down and replace all those dirt blocks with brick blocks without fear of flooding.

As far as I know, clay is super hard to find, so brick is almost out of the question. (unless you meant normal cobblestone or something)

Real men make buildings out of wool, and Use Fire/Lava Carefully. :lol

Ceebs

Rainier said:
Hmm, below the waterline I see those bricks are resting on dirt. For only a few hours more, you could build up a support wall on the outside of your castle below the waterline, then dig down and replace all those dirt blocks with brick blocks without fear of flooding.

If you ask me, I think he needs to make some glass and put a big lava beacon on top of that tower so he can see it from miles away at night.

Rainier

Anyone know if you can use water and glass and make an aquarium? I need something to compliment the grand fireplace in my master bedroom.

Tobor

Blizzard said:
Here you go:

Crafting wiki as a PDF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?51jq6udlumaqj2a
Furnace wiki as a PDF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?l7v56z2ad6gpk7j

I recommend Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/) for PDF reading. Also bear in mind that since you don't get the animated GIFs, it will not be as obvious that some things (mainly weapons and armor) can use different types of material. Pick-axes can be made of wood, stone, iron, or diamond for instance, if I'm remembering correctly.
Most excellent! Thanks!

notsol337

marked forever
Syth_Blade22 said:
Welp thanks to this free weekend, I will def. be buying it!

Just wondering if gaf any any clues on setting up servers (well I'm sure many of you do!)

I've ran the minecraft_server.exe it's all good, but when I go to connect to my IP it says

Failed to Connect to the Server

connection refused: connect.

So I thought Maybe I've got the wrong IP address? I typed in ipconfig, got my "Default Gateway" is that correct? I tried out a site too.. seemyip.com or something and that tells me acompletly different IP address.

Default gateway is your router. What you should do is ipconfig and see what your IPv4 address is for a LAN. The IP from seemyip.com is the one you'd use if you wanted people online to connect to your server. If it still doesn't work, turn off your firewall or forward the ports inside the firewall.

HolyCheck

notsol337 said:
Default gateway is your router. What you should do is ipconfig and see what your IPv4 address is for a LAN. The IP from seemyip.com is the one you'd use if you wanted people online to connect to your server. If it still doesn't work, turn off your firewall or forward the ports inside the firewall.

Many thanks notso1337!

the one from see my IP still doesn't work so I'll need to poke around the firewall later as the routers on another PC.

Ceebs

Rainier said:
Anyone know if you can use water and glass and make an aquarium? I need something to compliment the grand fireplace in my master bedroom.
You can. It can be annoying to get it even though.

Ignignort

Syth_Blade22 said:
Many thanks notso1337!

the one from see my IP still doesn't work so I'll need to poke around the firewall later as the routers on another PC.

Are you connecting on the same pc the server is on? If so try the following
127.0.0.1:25565
localhost:25565

Blizzard

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Fired up the EXE. After the login screen, the game just exits. Any suggestions?
:( Make sure you downloaded the very latest .exe from the website (there are two links for Windows, not sure if they're different), just in case some minor update happened. Also make sure you have the latest video card drivers I guess. What video card are you using? It seems to work for most people, sorry you're having trouble.

fresquito said:
My first statue is done. Project Moss is over (well, not quite, there's a secondary objective that I must fullfill now :D )

ixsemt.png

BTW, the blue river on the right is my water channel :D

Looks great, but maybe you should have made the glasses lenses out of glass. :D
(Edit: Come to think of it, the sand probably works better for readability and not seeing the edge of each block.)

Speaking of which, is there any strong disadvantage to using glass in a building? It's obviously weaker to your strikes, and I think (but I'm not sure) monsters can spot you through it, but will they actively attack through it or try to break it? There's the issue with sunlight hitting grass inside causing animals to spawn, but it would be laid out with that in mind.

Also, how does one attach a pressure plate to a door? I haven't tried yet, but will I need that Redstone Wire I saw mentioned?

Rainier

Ceebs said:
You can. It can be annoying to get it even though.
Eh, I've got time. My kids are now away at college and I'm pretty sure I won't be disturbed until someone drags me out to a wedding or divorce proceedings.

Mama Robotnik said:
I thought I'd give this a quick go since its free. That was TWELVE HOURS AGO. I've not even eaten.

Welcome, friend. :D

thespot84

i'm looking into hosting the version of gafland before it got blown up since I want to finish some stuff. So far I have a server up and I can connect through localhost, however I can't test externally since the game won't remote in remote desktop (opengl issues). I also wanted to play with community wrappers and llamacraft but the forums are down so I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on hosting, and maybe know where to get all those tools?

the other issue is that I'd like to set the spawn back to somewhere near gafland since now i have no idea where i am when i spawn. How could I go about it? I'll leave the server up tonight if people wanna mess around on it, PM me if you have any questions.

-server address deleted-

Ignignort

thespot84 said:
i'm looking into hosting the version of gafland before it got blown up since I want to finish some stuff. So far I have a server up and I can connect through localhost, however I can't test externally since the game won't remote in remote desktop (opengl issues). I also wanted to play with community wrappers and llamacraft but the forums are down so I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone have any thoughts or advice on hosting, and maybe know where to get all those tools?

the other issue is that I'd like to set the spawn back to somewhere near gafland since now i have no idea where i am when i spawn. How could I go about it? I'll leave the server up tonight if people wanna mess around on it, PM me if you have any questions.

http://mcadmin.eu/Main_Page

A great wrapper if your running it on windows, you can also install the runecraft mod through it under server mods.

HolyCheck

Ignignort said:
Are you connecting on the same pc the server is on? If so try the following
127.0.0.1:25565
localhost:25565

I've just had a thought.

Since I'm running this off my laptop, if I go to my dads house and log onto the internet there, will the IP address change at all (not this one, i assume thats my, i'm connecting to myself IP) but the one i eventually give to people?

confusing question I apologise.. bit out of my depth here.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
TouchMyBox said:
I fixed the crashing issues on my server, feel free to join again.

touchmybox.dnydns.org
What's the goddamn port? I can never connect your server.

Every other server i connect has the port.

Ydahs

Syth_Blade22 said:
I've just had a thought.

Since I'm running this off my laptop, if I go to my dads house and log onto the internet there, will the IP address change at all (not this one, i assume thats my, i'm connecting to myself IP) but the one i eventually give to people?

confusing question I apologise.. bit out of my depth here.
I'm 99% sure it's the same IP address if you're using the same router, but just load up http://www.whatismyip.com/ and compare to be certain.

EDIT: wait, your dad's house? That's a different internet connection, so it will be different.

ZZMitch

So is there no sound for everyone?

I am not getting any on the newest version (and I have owned Minecraft for almost two months now).

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
How do I grow trees? I don't want to deforest the entire landscape around my settlement, I'd like to create a grove I can chop down and replant repeatedly.

HolyCheck

Ydahs said:
I'm 99% sure it's the same IP address if you're using the same router, but just load up http://www.whatismyip.com/ and compare to be certain.

EDIT: wait, your dad's house? That's a different internet connection, so it will be different.

Shit :(

Spire said:
How do I grow trees? I don't want to deforest the entire landscape around my settlement, I'd like to create a grove I can chop down and replant repeatedly.

If you destroy the leaves of the tree they drop sapplings too, i think just stick them on the ground in a place that gets sunlight and they grow.

i'm sure if im wrong someone will correct me!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Spire said:
When you destroy leaves they drop saplings, which you can plant and will regrow in 2-3 game-days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom