• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
S. L. said:
i upgraded my 8600GT to an 8800GT (i realize i am much behind the technology curve :lol ) and it runs soooo much better now. most delightful :D
The 8800 is still a beast though, it's not that bad of a card, it served me well until I replaced it :D

Purkake4

Banned
Penny Arcade is one the ball:

1015419613_NYok6-L.jpg

Bison11

I am pissed. I dug straight down ( I know not a good idea) and of course I found lava...died...and lost all my stuff. Uhh....I just want some damn string.

But that Penny Arcade comic is awesome....spot on.

depths20XX

Count me as another who got hooked by the free weekend. Will definetly be buying when it's up for sale again. Sitting at work now thinking of stuff I want to build when I get back. Ugh

randomwab

2hfj7m1.png

I really don't know when I'm going to stop. I've built a balcony out on the right which will eventually be connected to a bridge. And this doesn't even show the huge cave system that's connected to the back of this thing.

<3 Minecraft.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So how good are Diamond tools? I've usually been sticking with Stone over Iron because Iron Ore isn't exactly the most common thing in the world, but Diamond seems to be so rare. I've got this ridiculous cave system under my home but I've only found three ores of Diamond.

Vinci

Danish
ZealousD said:
So how good are Diamond tools? I've usually been sticking with Stone over Iron because Iron Ore isn't exactly the most common thing in the world, but Diamond seems to be so rare. I've got this ridiculous cave system under my home but I've only found three ores of Diamond.

Diamond tools are awesome if you've an interest in mining obsidian at any point; otherwise, they're nice, but it really feels like an unnecessary extravagance relative to their rarity.

Then again:

Aquavelvaman said:
Diamond pickaxe is a necessity IMO. It breaks through stone ungodly fast and lasts for a crazy long time. Mine really deep and do those strip mining techniques that have been posted before and get yourself some diamond, asap. It will save you so much time hollowing out those mountains.

Yeah, if you've got access to a bunch of diamond, go for it. I've just had some worlds where I found gobs of the stuff, and others in which it didn't seem to ever show up. YMMV.

ZealousD said:
Diamond pickaxe is a necessity IMO. It breaks through stone ungodly fast and lasts for a crazy long time. Mine really deep and do those strip mining techniques that have been posted before and get yourself some diamond, asap. It will save you so much time hollowing out those mountains.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aquavelvaman said:

Well right now I'm probably not going to be building any mineshafts. The cave system under my house is RIDICULOUSLY HUGE. The entrance to it is only something like 15 blocks down, but it naturally went down all the way to the bedrock.

Fuck, I want to play this so badly right now. I won't be able to touch it for any serious amount of time until Friday though. Hopefully Notch has his servers up by then because I want to buy it to hear these creepy monsters that keep killing me and blowing up my house, and to support the most incredible indie game I've ever played. I'm not even thinking about playing Reach or Starcraft II right now, just Minecraft.

Yaweee

I rather liked the free demo, but I think I'll be holding off on a purchase until there's more of an interface and in-game details about crafting. The position dependence of recipes is a really bad idea, imo, as it pretty much kills any possibility of figuring shit out on your own. Just give me a recipe list and a "MAKE" button that lights up if I have everything, please.

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
I rather liked the free demo, but I think I'll be holding off on a purchase until there's more of an interface and in-game details about crafting. The position dependence of recipes is a really bad idea, imo, as it pretty much kills any possibility of figuring shit out on your own. Just give me a recipe list and a "MAKE" button that lights up if I have everything, please.
Uh, you've got that wrong.

All you have to do is think about what the object actually looks like and put the appropriate materials in the appropriate spots.

He is adding a recipe log later on, though.

Yaweee

Twig said:
Uh, you've got that wrong.

All you have to do is think about what the object actually looks like and put the appropriate materials in the appropriate spots.

He is adding a recipe log later on, though.

They are cutesy in hindsight after you see the final product, but guessing things like Bookshelves or TNT blocks? Not a chance. It helps remember different tools and weapons, but that is about it.

Is there any way to kill myself? I dug down too deep and I can't even tell which way is up in the dark.

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
They are cutesy in hindsight after you see the final product, but guessing things like Bookshelves or TNT blocks? Not a chance.
I got bookshelves all on my own. I haven't tried TNT, yet.

I have only ever browsed the crafting Wiki once, and that was out of sheer curiosity of what was actually available. I didn't even look at the recipes. U:

I GUESS I'M JUST BETTER THAN YOU NYA NYA

You could use TNT to kill yourself. (I don't know of any way to just commit suicide on the spot, though.)

ZOMGPaperClips

Neo Member
Yaweee said:
Is there any way to kill myself? I dug down too deep and I can't even tell which way is up in the dark.
If you drag your mouse cursor downward (toward your body) it should make you stare straight at the ground. Then just jump on the spot and place a block under your feet. Repeat until you are back at the surface.

MNC

Okay, I take it back about being burned out, I'm still eagerly awaiting new updates but starting a new world refreshes alot. Snow, here I come! I just wish things started getting more functions, though. I don't want this to be scribblenauts, where you have so many items, except they either all work the same or don't have a function.

Edit: Killing self: Do you have gravitational dirt? The pebble thingies? Place them a block above you, so they fall on you, so you choke.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yaweee said:
They are cutesy in hindsight after you see the final product, but guessing things like Bookshelves or TNT blocks? Not a chance.

I laughed at this for a good 30 seconds.

Personally, I think this game is amazing. The fact that you have to learn things on your own is basically the entire premise. You have to figure out how to create, dig and build in order to survive. It's pretty awesome going from nothing to having a personalized hobbit hole. Soon, I'll be able to build a castle. That'll be pretty sweet, too. :D

Yaweee

WanderingWind said:
I laughed at this for a good 30 seconds.

Personally, I think this game is amazing. The fact that you have to learn things on your own is basically the entire premise. You have to figure out how to create, dig and build in order to survive. It's pretty awesome going from nothing to having a personalized hobbit hole. Soon, I'll be able to build a castle. That'll be pretty sweet, too. :D

I don't know. If you know something exists, then there's some logic, but if you're starting out on the game the combinatorics for things you could create are ridiculous. Not having any indication what different blocks are supposed to be in game (read: their names) makes things even harder.

Something like Flint & Steel LOOKS like the final product, but how are you supposed to tell that is the correct placement before you've even seen what it looks like?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Yaweee said:
I don't know. If you know something exists, then there's some logic, but if you're starting out on the game the combinatorics for things you could create are ridiculous. Not having any indication what different blocks are supposed to be in game (read: their names) makes things even harder.

Something like Flint & Steel LOOKS like the final product, but how are you supposed to tell that is the correct placement before you've even seen what it looks like?

I'm learning by trial and error. For instance, I just learned how to set blocks down. I thought the whole point was to dig downward. But, hey. Different strokes and all that.

Yaweee

Pinko Marx said:
The game could definitely use some hover-over tooltips displaying block names in the inventory screen.

This would go a huge way toward being more beginner friendly. If you know something is in game and you know what the different materials are, then figuring things out is more feasible. But as it is now? I don't even know what Coal looks like, or the various other types of ore and materials. "Wood" and "Dirt" are easy, but that is about it.

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
This would go a huge way toward being more beginner friendly. If you know something is in game and you know what the different materials are, then figuring things out is more feasible. But as it is now? I don't even know what Coal looks like, or the various other types of ore and materials. "Wood" and "Dirt" are easy, but that is about it.
I definitely agree here.

ChunderMan

Living in a one-dimensional world...
Yaweee said:
They are cutesy in hindsight after you see the final product, but guessing things like Bookshelves or TNT blocks? Not a chance. It helps remember different tools and weapons, but that is about it.

From Notch's website:

Notch said:
I had an interesting idea on how to teach people the crafting in Minecraft. The first thing that’s needed in any case is something that tells the player to press “I” to access the inventory. Once that is up, there could be a small “recipy” icon in the upper right corner. Pressing that opens up a tech tree with everything except wood planks grayed out into mysterious question marks. Hovering the wood planks shows the recipy (tree trunk -> wood planks!), and if the player completes that recipy he unlocks the next recipes in the tech tree thing. The recipes link into each other in somewhat logical ways, and can be non-crafting things like showing that a better pickaxe is requires to get ore, or that ore in a furnace produces ingots.

Note that you don’t actually HAVE to unlock anything in the tech tree to be able to craft those things, it’s just meant as a way to show people what can be made, and add some kind of exploration to it.

Yaweee said:
definately true.

you will end up spending abajillion hours in the game and end up knowing everything based upon sight alone though.

I can tell what type of material something is in complete darkness by the amount of time it takes to mine it. yeah i suck i know.

Haunted

Tooltips (as in item descriptions) and/or a tech tree would definitely be valuable additions, I agree.

Mama Robotnik said:
I thought I'd give this a quick go since its free. That was TWELVE HOURS AGO. I've not even eaten.

This is gaming cocaine. It's the purest form of gaming exploration I know of, there's absolutely nothing comparable to digging a tunnel and emerging in some lost chamber with monsters, lava, waterfalls and new shining minerals.

There are a billion franchise runners that need to play this, and understand the sheer joy of experimentation and discovery it produces.

Buying this as soon as I am able.
This mirrors pretty much exactly my first experience with the game. Trying it out because of the free weekend gained Notch a customer as soon as his paying scheme is back up and running. 10€ is nothing for this project game experience.

Yaweee

Everything got more manageable once I finally found some coal inside a natural cave formation. Now I have a walled off wooden fort that is digging down towards a natural cave formation underneath a nearby mountain.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
TouchMyBox said:
TouchMyBoxLand is back up and fully operational, join FireBrand and I at:

206.248.133.120:25565

That was awesome, thanks :D.

Ramma2

Is there any way to tell what something is in game? Picked up something that looked like it was a sword, turned out it was a feather. =/

Ramma2 said:
Is there any way to tell what something is in game? Picked up something that looked like it was a sword, turned out it was a feather. =/
Out of all the myriad of complaints i've heard about minecraft is a new one.
Nothing like swords currently drops from anything. Records, bread, buckets, and saddles can be found in chests in dungeons, skeletons will drop arrows, and anything else that will ever drop will just be raw materials

Helmholtz

ZealousD said:
You only need 3 diamond ore to make a pickaxe, and it's well worth it. Plus, when it finally runs out of juice, you can just drop it and pick it up again and it'll be good as new. Diamond is the best for tools.

YEAH found my first diamonds!

Mining branching system is so good!

Now im going to be GOD! :lol

The only thing i havent found are the dungeons people are talking about, ive found some little chambers to start a mine, but never dungeons with chests. Were do I find them?

randomwab

Helmholtz said:
You only need 3 diamond ore to make a pickaxe, and it's well worth it. Plus, when it finally runs out of juice, you can just drop it and pick it up again and it'll be good as new. Diamond is the best for tools.

Wait, if you drop an almost dead tool and pick it up, it'll be good as new again?

Fuuuuuuuuck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom