• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Pinko Marx said:
Yeah s'why I have the dirt in the middle, I can just hop and harvest.

Be careful, animals can spawn wherever there's dirt hit by sunlight, and they too can make your crops disappear. Although I don't know if a dirt square with a torch can grow grass, and if so, I don't know if animals can spawn on it (due to the torch). You could replace those dirt blocks with cobblestone just in case.

This free trial is great, even though I have no clue what to do other than just run around and explore. I found a cave entrance on the side on one of the mountains, went inside, and got one-shotted by a phallic looking monster. I really, really like the graphics style.

And that burning house video is hilarious.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
goldsoundz said:
This free trial is great, even though I have no clue what to do other than just run around and explore. I found a cave entrance on the side on one of the mountains, went inside, and got one-shotted by a phallic looking monster. I really, really like the graphics style.

And that burning house video is hilarious.
Let me guess. Did it go HssssssssssBOOM!

The_Technomancer said:
Let me guess. Did it go HssssssssssBOOM!
Probably not, since there's no sound in this "trial".

I've been playing for hours, been having a ton of fun and have basically accomplished nothing. Last night I build a very bad house with a door and a basement, and them proceeded to try to build a giant stairway for the next 2 hours. I got it pretty high.

I started a new map today, and found a nice peninsula to build a house or something. I cleared out the whole peninsula, and then found out that if I crafted a shovel it would have been about 10x easier.

Tailzo

So I bought minecraft a few days ago. But I did so at a friends house, so I only made an account, and didn't download the game. Right now I can't access http://minecraft.net/ , I get a 404. Are there any mirror sites? I want to start playing :)

Blu_LED said:
Probably not, since there's no sound in this "trial".

I've been playing for hours, been having a ton of fun and have basically accomplished nothing. Last night I build a very bad house with a door and a basement, and them proceeded to try to build a giant stairway for the next 2 hours. I got it pretty high.

I started a new map today, and found a nice peninsula to build a house or something. I cleared out the whole peninsula, and then found out that if I crafted a shovel it would have been about 10x easier.
Yeah, no sound here, but I'm definitely buying this when Notch gets his servers upgraded. I'm collecting wood right now. Are there any tools that would help me do this? And if so, how do I create them?

Tailzo said:
So I bought minecraft a few days ago. But I did so at a friends house, so I only made an account, and didn't download the game. Right now I can't access http://minecraft.net/ , I get a 404. Are there any mirror sites? I want to start playing :)
There's a free trial on minecraft.net. Full game, no sound. You can't buy it right now as the Minecraft server is down.

Tailzo

goldsoundz said:
There's a free trial on minecraft.net. Full game, no sound. You can't buy it right now as the Minecraft server is down.
I did buy it when the site was up, but I didn't download it.

Where can I download it when minecraft.net is down?

edit: I mean the full version that I bought, not a trial.

Tailzo said:
I did buy it when the site was up, but I didn't download it.

Where can I download it when minecraft.net is down?

edit: I mean the full version that I bought, not a trial.
I guess it would help to read what you posted, heh. I'm sure someone knows a way.

The Technomancer

Tailzo said:
Maybe the file I downloaded right now wasn't a trial? I'm confused. But I managed to log in though.
No, the "trial" is just because Notch's servers got hammered so hard he couldn't take any more purchases, so he said "free Minecraft for everyone while I fix it!"
It should be the full version.

Although...the no sound thing is weird.

WillyFive

Firebrand said:
Same. Every time night comes... I hide.

And uh, do creepers spawn in the dark? Because it turns out I wasn't safe inside either...

Yes, that's where they come from.

And yeah, I had to look around for a while to some caves far away to find coal for the first time. But once I got fire, I went to the dark caves around and found plenty.

Holy shit this game is amazing. I've built myself a log cabin on a snow covered mountain top, and had to barricade myself inside at night because of the phallic, exploding monsters that are trying to hunt me down. I have only one heart left. I'm currently digging inside of my cabin to explore downwards since I'm too scared to go outside.

If I die do I lose everything I have on me? I need to make some sort of monument that's easily visible from a great distance in order to find this place again.

The Technomancer

goldsoundz said:
Holy shit this game is amazing. I've built myself a log cabin on a snow covered mountain top, and had to barricade myself inside at night because of the phallic, exploding monsters that are trying to hunt me down. I have only one heart left. I'm currently digging inside of my cabin to explore downwards since I'm too scared to go outside.

If I die do I lose everything I have on me? I need to make some sort of monument that's easily visible from a great distance in order to find this place again.
You lose everything on you, but it falls in a pile around where you died for...ten minutes or so, so you need to race back to pick it up again.

Had an awesome haul while going through a huge cave system. What kills me? Me jumping from the sound of the skeleton shooting an arrow and I fell into lava. Le sigh.

TheNiX said:
There's just too many GAF people. The server is a beast when it comes to memory, not to mention inventory is in now. Not to mention there's no way to control people using Minecarts/Boats which still cause some wonky shit to happen.

The machine I plan on making a dedicated server is a Core 2 Quad 9550, 4GB of DDR2 ram with a bunch of hard drive space, should that be enough?

The Technomancer

I love this game. The view from my new cliff-face castle project:
312cwmv.png

Holepunch

Would be cool if we could get a GAF server that where everything built had to have been mined by someone. Nothing spawned.

Just my two cents.

Twig

Banned
Holepunch said:
Would be cool if we could get a GAF server that where everything built had to have been mined by someone. Nothing spawned.

Just my two cents.
This will no doubt happen once multiplayer is... "fixed." I know I don't want to play on a server where we just spawn kits for everything. That's boring!

Holepunch said:

Just my two cents.

We had a server like that for a few weeks run by Oatmeal. Was pretty fun, very little griefing too.

fresquito

My first statue is done. Project Moss is over (well, not quite, there's a secondary objective that I must fullfill now :D )

ixsemt.png

BTW, the blue river on the right is my water channel :D

Just started really playing this last night. Still figuring things out. The first time I played, I accidentally tunneled out the other side of a mountain and a skeleton archer sniped me to death (from a distance in which I could not see him). Second time, I found a pocket of lava, accidentally got too close, and burned to death.

And just now... hey, what's that sound? Do you hear that? It sounds like... I dunno, something hitting the wall next to me. I wonder what's...

11in5ub.jpg

Oh. It's... eight giant spiders. I kill them, enter the room, and discover the monster spawner. Three more giant spiders appear and kill me before I can do much else.

I wonder what was in that chest in the corner of the room...

MNC

I'm kind of burned out until there's finally a new huge game changing update like Biomes. Really too bad he couldn't implent them. But we have patience :D Can't wait for mobs in SMP either.

randomwab said:
Damn it. The crafting Wiki is down! What do I need to make a door and a wooden step?

Two vertical rows of 3 planks each for a door, and one horizontal row of 3 planks for a wooden step (which is actually a pressure plate, not a step).

randomwab

Bootaaay said:
Two vertical rows of 3 planks each for a door, and one horizontal row of 3 planks for a wooden step (which is actually a pressure plate, not a step).

Thanks, guy. Starting to build a nice house in front of my cave. Oh, Minecraft.

Tiktaalik

After surviving my first night by building a cave and equiping it with a front door, I ventured out in the morning with stone sword to get more wood, and I immediately encountered this green guy that took off a huge amount of life before I killed him.

I thought monsters only came out at night. Did he find my cave during the night and then lurk around waiting for me to leave?

Hellcrow

Download new client.

Spawn at spawnpoint in the middle of night with everything on me lost.

And I can't find any coal nearby =(

randomwab

I'm hitting my fourth or fifth night and I haven't heard or seen a single monster. I'm playing on Normal too, so I don't know what's going on.

iammeiam

Tiktaalik said:
I thought monsters only came out at night. Did he find my cave during the night and then lurk around waiting for me to leave?

Pretty much. Creepers differ from skeletons and zombies in that sunlight doesn't set them on fire/eventually kill them. So they spawn at night and hang around for part of the day, and if you see one you pretty much want to run like hell and get away before they can go extreme makeover on your home.

ZZMitch

Tiktaalik said:
After surviving my first night by building a cave and equiping it with a front door, I ventured out in the morning with stone sword to get more wood, and I immediately encountered this green guy that took off a huge amount of life before I killed him.

That is a creeper. They spawn at night, but unlike other monsters, they stay alive during the day.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
MNC said:
I'm kind of burned out until there's finally a new huge game changing update like Biomes. Really too bad he couldn't implent them. But we have patience :D Can't wait for mobs in SMP either.

I'm waiting for biomes too (I'm so pumped for those), but whenever I feel burnt out I remind myself that Minecraft is still only in alpha. This is the kind of game where crouch/sneaking is added in an update.

This is the beginning of a very long and exciting journey and I have no idea where it will end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom