• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sykra

Spire said:
How do I grow trees? I don't want to deforest the entire landscape around my settlement, I'd like to create a grove I can chop down and replant repeatedly.

Destroy leaves to get saplings and then plant those next to water. Should be done in a day or two.

ZZMitch said:
So is there no sound for everyone?

I am not getting any on the newest version (and I have owned Minecraft for almost two months now).

I had this problem as well. Seems because of the server trouble the zip doesn't have all the resource files. I managed to find someone who uploaded them. Just dl and unzip to the right folder and you will get sound.

This game is awesome btw. So far I am just aimlessly burrowing down trying to find something to mine. I actually ran into my first dungeon like 30 minutes into the game. Haha. There wasn't anything good in the two chests there, and I lost half of it when I didn't realize the damn spiders in there spawned continuously. I read you can take the spawn cages down with a pickaxe. I was hacking at it with m sword for a while haha.

I found some dark black blocks in one of my mines that the stone pickaxe won't work on. What is it?

edit: finally found a pic with different block types. I guess its bedrock?

Rainier

BudokaiMR2 said:
I had this problem as well. Seems because of the server trouble the zip doesn't have all the resource files. I managed to find someone who uploaded them. Just dl and unzip to the right folder and you will get sound.
Link?

Sciz

BudokaiMR2 said:
I found some dark black blocks in one of my mines that the stone pickaxe won't work on. What is it?

edit: finally found a pic with different block types. I guess its bedrock?
If it takes about a minute to mine away, it's obsidian (which can be harvested effectively with a diamond pick). If it's impossible to destroy, it's bedrock.

Tiktaalik

Are these wool blocks from sheep useful? The wiki didn't show any crafting things for it and it actually mentioned that notch was phasing them out.

Blizzard

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Are these wool blocks from sheep useful? The wiki didn't show any crafting things for it and it actually mentioned that notch was phasing them out.
They are not currently useful (except for making buildings that might be flammable), but I would guess he might introduce dye, since various bright colors that would correspond to dyed wool are some of the only blocks that are available in the classic free-building mode, but not the alpha survival mode. Bookcases used to be that way, but they got added into survival.

I think wool is one of the nicest-looking building materials, but I think in one of my worlds what I actually used it for was to mark the proper path from my spawnpoint and ground level cave up the cliff to my house/castle, since otherwise I might be in a hurry and not see the proper cliff-climbing route.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Sciz said:
If it takes about a minute to mine away, it's obsidian (which can be harvested effectively with a diamond pick). If it's impossible to destroy, it's bedrock.

I just dug down and down for a looong long time and have found about 50 blocks of obsidian.. going to take a while to mine for something, it seems I can't build with! well the wiki doesn't list anything. ohwell.

god this game is fun.

Obsidian is a very nice building material. People need to stop saying it's useless. However it does take forever to collect any decent quantity of.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
On my first level I decided to mine my way all the way to the bottom. Hit what appeared to be bedrock, but in my persistence I found a hole in the layer... and saw blue sky. I jumped in, then promptly died.

Twig

Banned
Tiktaalik said:
Paintings.

That's is as of now. I am fairly certain Notch plans to add dye, so that people can use wool to build pixel art, like you can in the free version.

HappyBivouac said:
Obsidian is a very nice building material. People need to stop saying it's useless. However it does take forever to collect any decent quantity of.
People are saying it's useless?

thespot84

server update:

so i've successfully migrated gafland onto my home PC. I'm running it with McAdmin which seems to have most of what people were using before with oatmealmu's server. I need to go to bed but i'll leave it up for the night (why not?).

I'm new to managing a minecraft server, so if you all have suggestions or advice please PM me, as I need to figure out how to manage users (bans/greifing etc), kits, and the like.

wolach.doesntexist.com

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
About 6 hours straight of my first time playing minecraft.

Glass home will be extended down into my masssive mine ive been working on. Want to take the structure down first then ill build up!
t0pyq1.png

My pier where i keep my boats. There is a very small path behind the left tree down into a newer mine thatll connect underground to my glass house one.
2w4mtyr.png

View of all my work so far. Trying to find more lava to put into buckets.
r8ilop.png

I got cocky messing with the mobs after i built my house up so a skeleton archer decided to put me in my place and shoot me off my house to my death.

iammeiam

I spent way, way too much time doing this:
2a9v76x.jpg

I'm still having to dig the thing out of the mountain I accidentally built it in, but the view is fantastic:

x0wxol.jpg

My current worst nightmare is a creeper sneaking up on me anywhere near that thing. Makes for an excellent water slide, though.

I kind of dread going outside now. There's always at least one Creeper, probably two spiders at least, and at one point a Skeleton Archer surprised me hidden in my ladder well.

Also surprising to go digging down, find a few spawned in an area with no exit, or even a spawner.

On the plus side, I dug out a wall just beforehand and found this, pretty randomly. I thought it looked neat:
MinecraftTwinLavaRiver.png

But it's humbling to know just how I'm barely scratching the surface ("Oh, nicer picks let me harvest the rarer ores!") Then to see this overview of the Nom server... (Might want to mute your speakers, Engineer voice clip song.)

seb

Banned
HappyBivouac said:

What do you mean by "very nice", just that it looks good or there are other advantages to build in obsidian ?

vermadas

Obsidian is created when water meets a lava spring. It is a nice building material but takes about 30 sec to mine a block of it with a diamond pick-axe. Instead of mining it directly you can also make it yourself with buckets of lava and water and careful planning. This may be more time consuming but useful if you don't have any diamond yet or if you are saving it for something else.

Tiktaalik said:

You can use it to make paintings.

Vlad

shadowcomplex said:
Anyone know how long it should take to find iron. I ve only found 4 in 4 hrs.

Where are you looking? If you're just looking around near the surface or digging randomly, you're going to have trouble finding iron. Try exploring the natural caves. I ususally end up with at least two full stacks of iron after fully exploring a larger cave system.

How can you make circular stairs where you dont fall?
I tried to do a tower with circular stair, but when I try to make a wall surrounding them, the stairs fuck up and try to place near the wall istead of going up.

If I remember correctly ive seen circular stairs in some youtube video.

Vinci

Danish
SpacePirate Ridley said:
How can you make circular stairs where you dont fall?
I tried to do a tower with circular stair, but when I try to make a wall surrounding them, the stairs fuck up and try to place near the wall istead of going up.

If I remember correctly ive seen circular stairs in some youtube video.

Just make a central pillar that you build the stairs out from and don't remove it. That's what I always do. If you want to remove the pillar for aesthetic reason, I believe the stairs will remain in the proper place if they have a block under them and against their back. I've made both, but I tend to keep the central pillar for lighting purposes, so it's been a while since I've made a spiral staircase without one.

EDIT: And if you don't want to fall, create a ledge along the outside of the stairs, but in that case, I think you will definitely need to keep the central pillar - otherwise, the stair blocks will shift their perspective.

drizzle said:
What's the goddamn port? I can never connect your server.

Every other server i connect has the port.

It's weird, touchmybox.dyndns.org will work, but sometimes it won't.

in that case, try connecting to 206.248.133.120:25566

edit: It look like typing touchmybox.dnydns.org:25566 works best.

Vinci said:
Just make a central pillar that you build the stairs out from and don't remove it. That's what I always do. If you want to remove the pillar for aesthetic reason, I believe the stairs will remain in the proper place if they have a block under them and against their back. I've made both, but I tend to keep the central pillar for lighting purposes, so it's been a while since I've made a spiral staircase without one.

EDIT: And if you don't want to fall, create a ledge along the outside of the stairs, but in that case, I think you will definitely need to keep the central pillar - otherwise, the stair blocks will shift their perspective.

I dont know what im doing wrong but it doesnt seem to work, it always tries to face the middle wall.

PkCNb.jpg

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
have any clones of this concept started popping up yet? maybe on iphone and the like... just curious... pretty sure it's only a matter of time.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
major problem with this free minecraft weekend.

more than 1 person without an account cant log into minecraft..

time to find a minecraft account i can borrow for the next few hours

Vinci

Danish
SpacePirate Ridley said:
I dont know what im doing wrong but it doesnt seem to work, it always tries to face the middle wall.

Use a normal cobblestone block to build the staircase originally, including the ledge on the side - and then go back and substitute the block with stairs after the whole thing has been built. It's possible that if you add the ledge to the outside, even after the stair has turned and faced the wrong direction, that it might face the right direction just by having the ledge.

Firebrand

TouchMyBox said:
It's weird, touchmybox.dyndns.org will work, but sometimes it won't.

in that case, try connecting to 206.248.133.120:25566

Yeah, I had to punch in the IP manually to connect.

Fun times building random stuff on your server last night.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is the GAF server down forever, or do I need to do something special to get in?

Vinci said:
Use a normal cobblestone block to build the staircase originally, including the ledge on the side - and then go back and substitute the block with stairs after the whole thing has been built. It's possible that if you add the ledge to the outside, even after the stair has turned and faced the wrong direction, that it might face the right direction just by having the ledge.

Ive seen tutorials in youtube and seems to be always with half steps. Going to try that now.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:

Holy mother of god.
Thats is going to sell the game to some friends.

Vinci

Danish
SpacePirate Ridley said:
Ive seen tutorials in youtube and seems to be always with half steps. Going to try that now.

Well, those sit differently than stairs do - and you'll have to redesign around that difference. I mean, it's possible that it won't influence your design, but it likely will. IIRC, steps as opposed to stairs sit higher - so if your staircase is meant to end at some specific point that you've plotted out with square blocks, it might need to be edited.

EDIT: Okay, that trailer was legendary.

Ramma2

Ok so apparently this pc isn't up to running the desktop version, I get some OpenGL mode error. From the looks of it there's a browser based version that might run, anyone know where I can get to that, if it's currently available?

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, fuck. I finally get around to trying this and the whole thing is down? I can't play a game with no sound or noises!

EDIT: Welp. I shouldn't have watched that trailer. Now, my most anticipated game ever! :lol

S. L.

i upgraded my 8600GT to an 8800GT (i realize i am much behind the technology curve :lol ) and it runs soooo much better now. most delightful :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom