• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to playing for a decent period again, and decided it was time to dig down! Created a deep shaft in a corner of my base, well lit and laddered, down to a large cave complete with iron, spiders, giant slimes etc etc

Finally died (damn creeper creeping up on me as I tried to wall myself into a safe zone! Still, recovered everything and now have a bow care of many dead spiders :)

Tiktaalik said:
Do trees randomly grow back? How does that work?

When chopping down the leafy part of a tree you have a chance for a sapling to drop. You have to plant the sapling in a patch of dirt to have a tree grow again.

EatChildren said:
I'm waiting for biomes too (I'm so pumped for those), but whenever I feel burnt out I remind myself that Minecraft is still only in alpha. This is the kind of game where crouch/sneaking is added in an update.

This is the beginning of a very long and exciting journey and I have no idea where it will end.

Hopefully biomes will be out for next Friday. He has them all ready to go, just needs to work on the transition of one biome to another.

Tiktaalik said:
After surviving my first night by building a cave and equiping it with a front door, I ventured out in the morning with stone sword to get more wood, and I immediately encountered this green guy that took off a huge amount of life before I killed him.

I thought monsters only came out at night. Did he find my cave during the night and then lurk around waiting for me to leave?

That would be a Creeper, they spawn at night but they can survive in daylight. So yeah, thats exactly what he did. They basically run up to you and self destruct. They also make no sound at all until they're about to explode which makes them good at sneaking up on you.

Tiktaalik said:
Do trees randomly grow back? How does that work?

Think you have to plant saplings to get trees to grow. You get saplings from hacking away at tree branches.

Must say it's nice to see a bunch of people discovering this game. A friend who I'd have never thought would be into it mentioned he'd bought it the other night after reading about it on rock paper shotgun.

randomwab

eimfdu.png

He won't leave. ;_;

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
randomwab said:
I just jinxed myself, a green guy is outside my house now. I'm scared.
Dig down and a while away underground, then pop up a ways away, try to lure him to you, and whack and run from him until either he dies or blows up. If he starts hissing and you back off fast, he'll stop.

randomwab

The_Technomancer said:
Dig down and a while away underground, then pop up a ways away, try to lure him to you, and whack and run from him until either he dies or blows up. If he starts hissing and you back off fast, he'll stop.

It's OK, he just left a crater at the front of my house. Gotta rebuild this shit quick. :lol

Air Zombie Meat said:
Must say it's nice to see a bunch of people discovering this game. A friend who I'd have never thought would be into it mentioned he'd bought it the other night after reading about it on rock paper shotgun.

This is the first game I've ever loved so much that I feel the need to tell everyone about it.

Sciz

All you guys without sound are going to love the game so much more when it starts audibly terrifying you as well.

Log4Girlz

EatChildren said:
I'm waiting for biomes too (I'm so pumped for those), but whenever I feel burnt out I remind myself that Minecraft is still only in alpha. This is the kind of game where crouch/sneaking is added in an update.

This is the beginning of a very long and exciting journey and I have no idea where it will end.

The crouching makes bridge building so much easier!!

The Technomancer

Sciz said:
All you guys without sound are going to love the game so much more when it starts audibly terrifying you as well.
Oh, yeah, definitely. When you have sound the game becomes straight up survival horror. Emphasis on the horror.

Firehead

Sciz said:
Huh... I have no sound even though I have a paid account. How would I get it back? ):

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Log4Girlz said:
The crouching makes bridge building so much easier!!

I'm proud of the bridge I built the hard way!

Tiktaalik

iammeiam said:
Pretty much. Creepers differ from skeletons and zombies in that sunlight doesn't set them on fire/eventually kill them. So they spawn at night and hang around for part of the day, and if you see one you pretty much want to run like hell and get away before they can go extreme makeover on your home.

Hmmm maybe I should make alternate escape routes from my house/cave.

funkmastergeneral said:
This is the first game I've ever loved so much that I feel the need to tell everyone about it.

Yeah I hear you, it's certainly something special. Just goes to show how powerful word of mouth can be. Makes companies like Ubisoft look stupid with their whining about how only games with a "AAA" budget can be successful. Quite refreshing to see that if you make something unique and interesting enough it can sell, regardless of marketing budgets.

Tiktaalik

Air Zombie Meat said:
Yeah I hear you, it's certainly something special. Just goes to show how powerful word of mouth can be. Makes companies like Ubisoft look stupid with their whining about how only games with a "AAA" budget can be successful. Quite refreshing to see that if you make something unique and interesting enough it can sell, regardless of marketing budgets.

I just keep sending people this link (fire consumes house) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnjSWPxJxNs and it sells people instantly on the game :lol.

sonicmj1

So I've got enough set up that I'm pretty self-sufficient. Plenty of stone, wood, and coal.

If I want to find iron, where should I be looking? Should I just pick a spot and start digging downward, or is there a better way to go prospecting?

SpacePirate Ridley said:
Going to buy it when the servers go up again.

Going to buy it when I'm done crunching on this game. Man, that video of the fire was so goddamn hilarious, just what I needed after working an 80+ hour work week.

WEGGLES

funkmastergeneral said:
Notch = marketing genius

Though i've got to wonder how much time and energy he'll keep on Minecraft once the sales start the dry up...
About as much as when it wasn't selling before.

WEGGLES said:
About as much as when it wasn't selling before.

Why do you assume this? He's making hundreds of thousands of dollars and wants to simultaneously develop a second game. It just seems like his will to develop Minecraft further would dissipate as less people are buying his game.

Tiktaalik said:
After surviving my first night by building a cave and equiping it with a front door, I ventured out in the morning with stone sword to get more wood, and I immediately encountered this green guy that took off a huge amount of life before I killed him.

I thought monsters only came out at night. Did he find my cave during the night and then lurk around waiting for me to leave?
One sneaked into the house/guard tower that I built, so I walked the stairs to the top of the tower to hide until sunrise. I went back downstairs in the morning, walked around the corner to go to my chest, and the son of a bitch is hiding right behind the corner waiting for me. I spend another day on top of the tower and built higher to keep me occupied. I came back down the next day and he was gone.

I just saw the weapon craft entries on the crafting page at the Minecraft Wiki. Next time I'll be prepared for those zombies! There were also two giant spiders waiting for me outside of my door. I have a few escape routes underground to the shoreline.

How do I make glass? I need to get my windows sealed. I'm locking my house down, then digging to an island across the channel nearby.

Believe the hype, people. I just downloaded the trial this morning and I've probably already sunk four hours into it and it has kept my attention from NFL RedZone for most of the day. Oh, and please tell me that I can keep my world when I purchase the full game? I worked hard on this house and tower!

Haunted

I still don't know what he did wrong in that burning down the house video. :lol

The fireplace looked good and encased all around, he burned just one log... bookcase too close? Hole should've been two spaces deep?

It's sad and hilarious at the same time.

Ceebs

Haunted said:

The fireplace looked good and encased all around, he burned just one log... bookcase too close? Hole should've been two spaces deep?

I think the bottom of the fireplace was wood and connected to the rest of the floor at that level.

Haunted said:

I'm pretty sure fire needs to be at least 2 bricks away from wood

Also the bottom of the fireplace was wood.

Yaweee

L00P said:
noooo the crafting wiki isn't working

There really needs to be some kind of in-game interface or menu for relaying that kind of information. I'll probably hold off on the game until that kind of feature is in.

Yaweee said:
There really needs to be some kind of in-game interface or menu for relaying that kind of information. I'll probably hold off on the game until that kind of feature is in.

One of his biggest goals right now is to create an in game tech tree, where you unlock recipes.

corn_fest

I just started to mine into a cave instead of wandering around aimlessly it became night and I died. I'm not finding nighttime very fun, as I keep dying every time, even with armor and hiding somewhere or going out in the ocean at night. I forgot to put all my stuff in a chest before last nighttime :( Anyone have any tips as to how to not die at night? :lol

corn_fest said:
I just started to mine into a cave instead of wandering around aimlessly it became night and I died. I'm not finding nighttime very fun, as I keep dying every time, even with armor and hiding somewhere or going out in the ocean at night. I forgot to put all my stuff in a chest before last nighttime :( Anyone have any tips as to how to not die at night? :lol

Do work in a well lit area?

corn_fest said:

Don't go out at night, fool.

corn_fest

funkmastergeneral said:
Do work in a well lit area?
Well, yeah, I try to. But I'd like to be able to work on, say, a whole cliff face at night without putting torches everywhere. Can you make a perimeter with torches?

Pinko Marx said:
Don't go out at night, fool.
Yeah, I just try to play more nomadic, so I don't really have a base to be in. I guess I could do that, it doesn't seem like it would be fun to sit there for seven minutes though :/

corn_fest said:
Well, yeah, I try to. But I'd like to be able to work on, say, a whole cliff face at night without putting torches everywhere. Can you make a perimeter with torches?

Monsters won't spawn in areas that are lit, but that won't stop them from zoning in on you eventually anyway. The only way to completely protect yourself at night is to shelter yourself.

The_Technomancer said:
Smelt sand in a furnace
What about string? I'd like to make a bow and arrow to take out those exploding dudes. One of 'em took out an entire corner of my house after I cut him down with my sword.

The Technomancer

goldsoundz said:
What about string? I'd like to make a bow and arrow to take out those exploding dudes. One of 'em took out an entire corner of my house after I cut him down with my sword.
Right now they only way to get string is by killing spiders. I hope eventually Notch makes a way to turn cloth into string as well. Maybe let us craft a spinning wheel or something.

Blizzard

Banned
Watch out about creepers...if you walk up to one side of your door and they're directly on the other side, they CAN explode. I am almost certain I tested that, painfully. :lol

One thing you can do is make sure you have a full block distance away, like a one-block window in your wall. Then you should be able to hit them with a sword, and they should run back up to the window. Repeat until dead. Maybe.

Blizzard

Banned
If anyone has a fast online PDF-to-JPG convert (I'm waiting on a couple of sites but they don't seem to work), OR a free site to upload a PDF to like abload.de for images, let me know. I still had tabs open so I will upload PDF images for both the main crafting page and the furnace page if anyone wants them for reference.

Of course, they'll get outdated quickly, but it might be handy to someone I suppose!

randomwab

I was adding an extension to my house during the day, and I ran out of planks just as the sun was starting to go down. I decided to run and chop some wood so I could continue building through the night, so I get back just as the last of the day is dying and BAM, a skeleton on the second floor of my house. I completely loose it, and run like a kid down into the cave my house is built on to and close the door.

Minecraft is truly survival horror come night fall. I love this game.

Blizzard

Banned
Here you go:

Crafting wiki as a PDF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?51jq6udlumaqj2a
Furnace wiki as a PDF file: http://www.mediafire.com/?l7v56z2ad6gpk7j

I recommend Foxit (http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/reader/) for PDF reading. Also bear in mind that since you don't get the animated GIFs, it will not be as obvious that some things (mainly weapons and armor) can use different types of material. Pick-axes can be made of wood, stone, iron, or diamond for instance, if I'm remembering correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom