• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Helmholtz

randomwab said:
Wait, if you drop an almost dead tool and pick it up, it'll be good as new again?

Fuuuuuuuuck
Unless it was recently patched out, yes. It's a glitch I believe, but a useful one at that :p

SpacePirate Ridley said:
YEAH found my first diamonds!

Mining branching system is so good!

Now im going to be GOD! :lol

The only thing i havent found are the dungeons people are talking about, ive found some little chambers to start a mine, but never dungeons with chests. Were do I find them?
These are generally very deep down (near the max depth), and are usually rooms that are encased in mossy cobblestone. They usually have an enemy spawner in them and a few chests.

Helmholtz

funkmastergeneral said:
I'm pretty sure this is only true for SMP
Heh you're right. Doesn't work in single player. I think it used to though, correct me if I'm wrong. Still works in multiplayer, but I'm assuming it'll get fixed just like singleplayer did.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
Trying to stream some minecraft. Livestream.com/MetalicSand

Probly play for like 2 hours or so. Found a massive cave system. So fun exploring!

L00P

Oh man, I just spent three hours spelunking in a cave full of iron and coal. It just keeps on going and going. I love this cave! Also saw magma for the first time! And gold! I hit the jackpot!

I'ma go mine some more:lol

Yeah day two of minecrack.

I found a natural valley leading to caves in front of a mountain yesterday. Found my first dungeon down there and decided to extend the mining operation in about 4 different directions. I have only really seen iron, bedrock, coal, and redstone so far. No diamond unfortunately. I did happen upon two underwater rivers and 2 sources of lava.

Currently trying to encase the small mountain behind my homebase in stone walls. Going to turn it into a huge fort with a giant throne room at the top of the mountain. Next step after that is directing water into a moat around the fortress.

The PA is so goddamn on spot haha

Javaman

Shiiiit. I was mining around the edges of a cobblestone monster cave and managed to fall in through the top and lost my diamond sword and diamond shovel. Are there any easy ways to deal with a lot of regenerating enemies? Skeletons are what really get me most of the time.

Sciz

Javaman said:
Shiiiit. I was mining around the edges of a cobblestone monster cave and managed to fall in through the top and lost my diamond sword and diamond shovel. Are there any easy ways to deal with a lot of regenerating enemies? Skeletons are what really get me most of the time.
Come at it from above and dump a bucket 'o lava in the middle.

Tiktaalik

I built a little house on a hill, but having a house in the wide open without a tunnel to escape hatch seems pretty annoying because there's always monsters outside in the morning. I have little candles everywhere but they seem to only keep away the zombies.

Tiktaalik said:
I built a little house on a hill, but having a house in the wide open without a tunnel to escape hatch seems pretty annoying because there's always monsters outside in the morning. I have little candles everywhere but they seem to only keep away the zombies.

Monsters spawn wherever its dark. This means any distance about 20-100ft away from a torch. But just because they spawn in the darkness does not mean they specifically hate the light or refuse to come in to it.

I basically ended up building a fortress:

fortress.jpg

High walls means nothing from the outside gets in, and the torches everywhere means no monsters spawn inside the perimeter.

fresquito

Kulock said:
Looks great, but maybe you should have made the glasses lenses out of glass. :D
(Edit: Come to think of it, the sand probably works better for readability and not seeing the edge of each block.)

Speaking of which, is there any strong disadvantage to using glass in a building? It's obviously weaker to your strikes, and I think (but I'm not sure) monsters can spot you through it, but will they actively attack through it or try to break it? There's the issue with sunlight hitting grass inside causing animals to spawn, but it would be laid out with that in mind.

Also, how does one attach a pressure plate to a door? I haven't tried yet, but will I need that Redstone Wire I saw mentioned?
Will add glass in the future. I've got a secondary project now, which I'll show to you when it's done.

You add pressure plates just by putting them by a door. If you want it distant, you've got to use redstone.

Syth_Blade22 said:
I approve of project Moss.
I expected no less.

So my ip changed, I updated my DNS, but i guess it will take ~24 hours for it to update. So to connect to my server for the time being, use

206.248.133.226:25565

I guess I'll call my ISP and have them change me to a static address since I'm already paying extra for an mlppp+optional static ip address package.

(15:44:11) Simon: monday I played minecraft in class during a break, now I have counted 10 people in class playing it at the same time during class out of the 15 that were present

Game design school hard at work.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Visualante said:
(15:44:11) Simon: monday I played minecraft in class during a break, now I have counted 10 people in class playing it at the same time during class out of the 15 that were present

Game design school hard at work.
oh ef you, i ve tired so many times in class but it doesn't work in the regular labs i have to go to the mac labs because we use intel video cards.

Ramma2

Should be working.

Instead I'm replacing sand squares with dirt squares, to beat back the beach and make room for some crops.

Productivity fails today.

Vlad

Has anybody else noticed more slimes since the last patch?

I hadn't encountered a single one in my entire time playing until yesterday, when I came across THREE in the same cave area. One of them had managed to hitch a ride on my minecart back to the surface level. Later on, another had spawned, then a little while later, a third.

They didn't seem to do any damage, or even try to attack me, even as I attacked them. Of course, the first one was still stuck in my minecart when I came across it, but the other two were hopping around freely.

Vinci

Danish
Helmholtz said:
These are generally very deep down (near the max depth), and are usually rooms that are encased in mossy cobblestone. They usually have an enemy spawner in them and a few chests.

And they seem to be somewhat near to one another. The few I've found have typically been within maybe fifty blocks vertically or horizontally from one another.

Yaweee

Dragmire said:
Dungeons can be right below the surface. I've even seen Youtube videos where they were open and partly exposed to the outside.

By dungeon, you mean any natural cave system? They seem to be all over the place. Best place for finding fast coal.

Vinci

Danish
Yaweee said:
By dungeon, you mean any natural cave system? They seem to be all over the place. Best place for finding fast coal.

No, actually, he's right. I've found a couple of dungeons very near to the surface. Never exposed though.

Dragmire

I just started a world recently where there was a dungeon probably around ten blocks below ground level, and 20 blocks from my spawn point. They can appear at almost any depth, it's just random where, or how often, they appear.

Ramma2

Ok these explody guys are getting on my nerves. I spend the night working inside my house making it nice. Come outside when daylight breaks and poof! I'm dead and half of my mountain hideaway is missing a roof.

Damn you explody guys.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
My current world had two dungeons (mossy cobblestone dungeons) exposed to the surface within site of spawn. They both are spider spawners, which is lucky. String is the only non-renewable resource in the game.

So how exactly does the multiplayer work? I have the three people in the house I am staying in addicted because of the free weekend.

Can I just invite them to my singleplayer world?

th3dude

edgefusion said:
So what's up with the Mac version? I've got no sound and it runs badly. I'm on a 2009 unibody MacBook pro.

Runs fine on my 2010 MBP. I think I read recently in this thread that the sound issues are due to the updates being screwed up from the site due to high traffic.

No sound is stated right now.
Minecraft.net said:
The following things do not work at the moment:

• Registering an account
  • Purchasing the game
  • User verification for online servers
  • Sounds and music for new players
The sounds are not loaded since the server is fucked. and the performance is heavily depending on your cpu. Perhaps it's not thaat great?

edgefusion

Caesar III said:
No sound is stated right now.
The sounds are not loaded since the server is fucked. and the performance is heavily depending on your cpu. Perhaps it's not thaat great?

2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo. I thought a year old laptop would be enough to play this game. I hate technology. :( Good to know the sound is not specific to me at least.

edgefusion said:
2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo. I thought a year old laptop would be enough to play this game. I hate technology. :( Good to know the sound is not specific to me at least.
I'm running on a 2.66ghz P4 with a Geforce 6200 and I average around 25-30 fps on far draw distance (Can get a bit choppy in mountainous/heavily built up areas but still very playable). Although originally I was getting less than 5fps with equivalent settings. To reach my current level of performance I had to do a lot of experimentation with video drivers and eventually settled on quite an old modified one (an 'NGO NVIDIA Optimized Driver' from 2007).

You should be able to get much better performance than me with your laptop; even if it's an integrated gpu then that should still be able to run rings around my gpu if the laptop's only a year old. You should just try looking around for what alternate drivers you can use on your card.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
BudokaiMR2 said:
So how exactly does the multiplayer work? I have the three people in the house I am staying in addicted because of the free weekend.

Can I just invite them to my singleplayer world?

I'm new to the game too, but I thought I'd throw out an answer!

You'll need to make a server so that they can all connect too, i don't know if you can transfer builds? maybe maphacks? who knows

Smash88

Banned
Some people have .rared the sound/music from the game for those having sound issues. A quick google search fixes it.

Notch took the sound installation out mainly due to server load as previously stated.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Brohill, the capital of New Spain.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Spookie said:
Stories from TouchMyBoxLand! The home of:

Today we learned why fire is bad!

1, 2, 3 & 4

:( Had it happen to me today too, friend and I were building our dwelling, he was trying to get fancy with fires underneath glass floor boards... i went off to chop down more trees.. and got the message from him that a few things had caught alight.. i thought maybe just the underground part he was working on... but no.. he had built near the foundations of the entire house..

I walk back to see floating fire blocks everywhere.. and was quite sad.

Manik

Been playing this for a few days and, after building myself a neat little shelter and lighthouse I set off to explore the nearby caves with a healthy supply of pickaxes, torches and shovels.

45 minutes later, undoubtedly now at least a day's trek from home and buried somewhere miles beneath the earth (one cave leads to another cave leads to another cave and...) I ran out of digging implements and thought it best to head back to the surface and trek home with all of the ore I'd managed to collect.

I retraced my steps, back through the twisty caverns and trail marked with torches and suddenly came upon an open space, which I'd clearly passed through on my way down as there were numerous torches dotted around, but... There was no obvious way out. I then ended up spending the next 40 minutes wandering around in circles without a clue as to where this supposed exit was.

It got to the point where I'd exhaused all hope and, with cabin fever setting in, I started throwing blocks down into a tower, right to the ceiling, where I planned to say my last few words and jump to my demise. If I was going out with no loot, I was going out with a bang.

As the roof got closer, I reasoned that a drop from this new tower wasn't going to be enough to kill me in any spectacular way, so I dug upwards into the roof of the cavern with my bare hands, scrabbling at the dirt, the last act of a desperate man. Once. Twice... Then, there were white dots. Confused, I dug another block. More dots.... "The thing's hollow—it goes on forever—and—oh my God—it's full of stars!". I'd found my way back to the outside! A journey time of the best part of 2 hours in total and I was going to make it home with my loot after all!

Then a spider hissed, dropped through the hole I'd created and slaughtered me before I had chance to react. I never saw the loot again.

Best. Game. Ever :D

alanias

edgefusion said:
It should run fine. It runs on my 2008 white plastic Macbook (not pro) Try turning graphics to fast (vs fancy) turning on limit frame rate, and keeping the render distance normal. Also turn off head bob. It should run fine, always roughest at the beginning when it is making the world as you walk around.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Spookie said:
Today we learned why fire is bad!

1, 2, 3 & 4
The smiley face on the last pic got me. I would be devastated, but people still insist on building wooden fortresses. Probably safer to tread over thin ice.

Manik said:
It got to the point where I'd exhaused all hope and, with cabin fever setting in
I hate when this happens. Stuck in a cavern with too many right turns and left turns, things become hopeless and your anxiety levels begin to build.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom