• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stitch said:
lavac.jpg

fake pics are fake :(

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15233

I never knew I was a graphics whore until I saw this post.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
edgefusion said:
2.4 ghz intel core 2 duo. I thought a year old laptop would be enough to play this game. I hate technology. :( Good to know the sound is not specific to me at least.

Running it on the same laptop w/ 4GB of memory (from what I read, Minecraft is more RAM hungry than GPU hungry). And yeah... it runs like doodoo.

Manik

speedpop said:
I hate when this happens. Stuck in a cavern with too many right turns and left turns, things become hopeless and your anxiety levels begin to build.

Without a doubt - This game has a wonderful ability to create an atmosphere that builds and builds to the point where you feel like you're hopelessly lost in this unending cavern with no way out and only spiders for company.

I don't think I've ever played a game that replicates the feeling of being surrounded by a million tons of rock over your head quite as much as this one. It's claustrophobia in video game form. :D

Log4Girlz

Dragmire said:
Dungeons can be right below the surface. I've even seen Youtube videos where they were open and partly exposed to the outside.

I've found my first 2 in large exposed caves (more like cracks in the side of a mountain), pretty exposed.

Yeah my brother is having problems setting up a server. Not exactly sure what he is doing wrong, but he says all the walkthroughs are from before the recent server problems and that he seems to be missing stuff. All he has is one exe. He said he runs it but can't figure out an ip addy or anything.

Yeah the temp page just has the .exe I guess and he needs a way to edit the properties and stuff.

Is there no where to download the original server .zip file?

depths20XX

petyvaz said:
Is there any way to create a roof that isn't completely filling a room and then digging it hollow?

Stand on the walls when you're building it? You can place "floating" blocks as long as they are touching another block.

IMACOMPUTA

Hey guys.
I need help! I emailed notch, but got no reply and can't find any info in the official forums.

When I try to play in the browser, clicking my mouse (left or right click) opens the menu.
A.K.A I cant place or delete any blocks.

I've updated my Java and tried on IE and Firefox on two different computers...
Same issue no matter what I do.

Can anyone PLEASE help me? I want to play this game online so bad.

petyvaz

Neo Member
depths20XX said:
Stand on the walls when you're building it? You can place "floating" blocks as long as they are touching another block.

Will try that. Was pretty sure you couldn't put a block without something under it.

Vinci

Danish
petyvaz said:
Will try that. Was pretty sure you couldn't put a block without something under it.

Unless Notch has significantly changed the game in a recent patch, all blocks other than gravel and sand will stay in place whether they're connected to anything or not.

EDIT: I really wish Notch would change stairs to where they would face your direction upon being placed and remain facing that direction regardless of what changes you make in their environment. It's a pet peeve, but it's sort of a pain since it limits how space is used.

Yaweee

petyvaz said:
Is there any way to create a roof that isn't completely filling a room and then digging it hollow?

If you're "aiming" at the side of a block when you place a block you're holding, it will stick to the side with nothing beneath it.

Haunted

Smash88 said:
Some people have .rared the sound/music from the game for those having sound issues. A quick google search fixes it.

Notch took the sound installation out mainly due to server load as previously stated.
oh? where what when?

Okay we have a server now, but it is a snow level and one of our friends seems to be lagging because of it.

How the hell do you just remake the server? Like a whole new world?

BudokaiMR2 said:
Okay we have a server now, but it is a snow level and one of our friends seems to be lagging because of it.

How the hell do you just remake the server? Like a whole new world?

change the name of the level.

Yeah I just deleted everything and started again.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Only problem now is that we seem to be in godmode. How do you turn that off.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Godmode is great for multiplayer. I'd hate to have it off. In fact, the whole health/combat/mobs thing is the only part of Minecraft I dont really think work very well (except for Creepers :p).

Yeah I dunno. I just think it would be cool to have a team of guys who have to run into their fortress at night.

I will admit the combat is kinda crappy but it does give the game a very unique flow.

Everyone else is bummed and don't really want to try it if we have to do it in godmode =/

The point isn't fun combat itself but the dynamic that it adds to the game when you're in some real danger.

I'm sick of god mode. It makes everything feel kind of pointless.

Although being able to jump from insane heights and swim around in deep lakes of lava is kinda neat.

EatChildren said:
Godmode is great for multiplayer. I'd hate to have it off. In fact, the whole health/combat/mobs thing is the only part of Minecraft I dont really think work very well (except for Creepers :p).
It takes away all the scary moments for me :( I don't need to bother about anything on our multi server because I cannot die :(

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
HappyBivouac said:
The point isn't fun combat itself but the dynamic that it adds to the game when you're in some real danger.

I'm sick of god mode. It makes everything feel kind of pointless.

Although being able to jump from insane heights and swim around in deep lakes of lava is kinda neat.

I know, but I dont really enjoy it and much prefer mining and building due to how terrible the combat is. I like the whole day = safe / night = danger dynamic, I like the idea of enemies like Creepers, and I like that hunting enemies nets good rewards especially in dungeons.

I just feel that, out of the entire game, the combat/mob aspect is by far the least polished and interesting. I want to mine out mountains, build my towers, smelt my goods, dig my mines, etc etc etc, and not have to deal with one wrong foot causing me to fall to my death, lose all of my carried goods, and force me to treck all the way back from the original spawnpoint.

If Notch adds in buildable parachutes;

Fabric ~ Fabric ~ Fabric
String ~ BLANK~ String
BLANK~ String ~ BLANK

And buildable or moveable spawn points the whole mob/death thing will no longer be an issue.

Yeah is there really no way to play multi without god mode?

that is horrible :(

Building stuff is fun, but it does feel pointless if you don't have to worry about defending yourself.

I mean...you don't even need torches for safety or anything! :( :( :(

notsol337

marked forever
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah I dunno. I just think it would be cool to have a team of guys who have to run into their fortress at night.

I will admit the combat is kinda crappy but it does give the game a very unique flow.

Everyone else is bummed and don't really want to try it if we have to do it in godmode =/

You can spawn monsters right now in an SMP server but you can't damage them. Plus, the server side doesn't handle health yet.

You'll just have to be patient!

Twig

Banned
Minecraft without enemies is a boring prospect and is why I don't really much care about multiplayer right now.

Vinci

Danish
I have some worlds that I play on Peaceful, others that I want a challenge. Just depends on my mood. Sometimes, I'm not looking for scary or thrilling - I just want to test a new build idea out in as fast a time as possible.

FrancisH

Not as impressive as the shooting gallery with zombies etc but I find it pretty fun. Also you don't loose the arrows either! Just go and pick them up! :D
6uUM

6uUU

IMACOMPUTA

IMACOMPUTA said:
Hey guys.
I need help! I emailed notch, but got no reply and can't find any info in the official forums.

When I try to play in the browser, clicking my mouse (left or right click) opens the menu.
A.K.A I cant place or delete any blocks.

I've updated my Java and tried on IE and Firefox on two different computers...
Same issue no matter what I do.

Can anyone PLEASE help me? I want to play this game online so bad.

anyone?

kottila

Had the best first day yet with a fancy mountain top cabin with panoranic Windows and chests full of iron ore and coal clisr to the spawning point or at least that's what I thought. After Dying for the first time, I'm unabke to relocate my hideout or my chests. Been looking for an hour.. Might have to just start from nothing again and hope to stumble upon the place later

Vinci

Danish
FrancisH said:
Not as impressive as the shooting gallery with zombies etc but I find it pretty fun. Also you don't loose the arrows either! Just go and pick them up! :D
6uUM

6uUU

That's actually something I hadn't thought of before... Very clever.

r1chard

Can you pick up the arrows that the skeletons shoot? I've tried but can't seem to...

Also on the sound issue - I installed yesterday and needed to google for the sounds RAR and it fixed my installation just fine.

FrancisH

r1chard said:
Can you pick up the arrows that the skeletons shoot? I've tried but can't seem to...

Also on the sound issue - I installed yesterday and needed to google for the sounds RAR and it fixed my installation just fine.

I'm pretty sure you can't pick up the arrows the skeletons shoot. Shame since they seem to shoot 500 yet drop 2. Then again if you could, it would be easy to just run around one at night and collect arrows instead of having to make them yourself... that is until you hear SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS......

Rainier

EatChildren said:
I know, but I dont really enjoy it and much prefer mining and building due to how terrible the combat is. I like the whole day = safe / night = danger dynamic, I like the idea of enemies like Creepers, and I like that hunting enemies nets good rewards especially in dungeons.

I just feel that, out of the entire game, the combat/mob aspect is by far the least polished and interesting. I want to mine out mountains, build my towers, smelt my goods, dig my mines, etc etc etc, and not have to deal with one wrong foot causing me to fall to my death, lose all of my carried goods, and force me to treck all the way back from the original spawnpoint.

If Notch adds in buildable parachutes;

Fabric ~ Fabric ~ Fabric
String ~ BLANK~ String
BLANK~ String ~ BLANK

And buildable or moveable spawn points the whole mob/death thing will no longer be an issue.
What I'd really love to see is a hot air balloon you can ride around in.

EatChildren

Anybody having trouble logging in or connecting online? I downloaded the new client, but I'm getting hangs and feezes when trying to login and connect to servers.

EatChildren said:
Anybody having trouble logging in or connecting online? I downloaded the new client, but I'm getting hangs and feezes when trying to login and connect to servers.
me too. Cannot start the game :( Wanted to build that archers range before heading to bed :D

Doesn't work on the page either.

Ceebs

EatChildren said:
As soon as I hit login it freezes. Have to kill the app in task manager.

EatChildren said:
Ok good it's not just me...

Yea it is freezing at the login screen (executing the exe). Don't break dammit! :(

I can't create a log-in on the site to purchase the game right now. Guess I'll have to try again in the morning.

EDIT: Fuck, PayPal has to confirm my credit card, which takes 3-4 days. I always hated this service--it's why I stopped using eBay.

Ramma2

Plunking down my dollars now. Hope to set up a multiplayer server here at home, I think my son would get a kick out of this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom