• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Ramma2 said:
Plunking down my dollars now. Hope to set up a multiplayer server here at home, I think my son would get a kick out of this too.

It's pretty darn easy to get a server up. Took like 5 minutes of digging around to find the port and such. Only issue right now is that the site and everything along with it seems to be shitting on itself.

And I can't wait for this godmode to turn off.

Blizzard

Banned
Notch on Twitter said:
That's not my problem any more since I hired Daniel Kaplan. ;D MUOAHAHA
Well folks, looks like that's it. Amazon Cloud is taking all of Notch's money and he doesn't even care. :'( Minecraft had a good run!

Also, yes the site is incredibly slow, and if he enabled logins through it that's going to make it also incredibly slow for anyone starting a game. If you want an offline game to launch quickly, try unplugging your network cable completely from your computer before launching the game, it might help. (you can probably then plug it right back in afterwards)

*edit* I finally got the website to load and got my game updated and got the game to log in. Sound works, the game seems to run more efficiently than it used to, and Notch is still sending the password in clear text to the website, oh well. :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Man, I swear. The natural cave system that's hidden under my house is fucking gigantic. There's basically a gazillion forks which makes any sort of breadcrumb system impossible unless I want to reset it every time. I don't even have to dig really, I just have to keep finding new nooks and crannies and I find minerals. Tonight, I managed to collect a full stack of iron, two stacks of coal (and many more I passed over), and a couple bits of gold, and burned through a whole stack of torches, and I only collected something like 4 stacks of cobblestone in the process.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Bought the game, confirmed the payment via PayPal and my Bank Account, but my account still says "Buy Now". How long does it usually take to update?

WEGGLES

ahoyhoy said:
Bought the game, confirmed the payment via PayPal and my Bank Account, but my account still says "Buy Now". How long does it usually take to update?
It was instant for me... but this was before the servers were constantly dying/dead.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ahoyhoy said:

If you didn't have the money already in your PayPal you'll have to wait ~5 working days for your bank to put it through. Speed depends on your bank.

Yeah I got all the people in the house addicted now.

My brother got hit the hardest. He basically didn't leave his computer for 8 hours or so except to grab a beer.

He got really lucky with his world and his spawning position was basically two mountains arching together over a cave system right in front of large body of water. It looks really sweet :D

Mairu

EatChildren said:
If you didn't have the money already in your PayPal you'll have to wait ~5 working days for your bank to put it through. Speed depends on your bank.
wat
I never have money already in PayPal and I haven't had to wait days for a payment to go through

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mairu said:
wat
I never have money already in PayPal and I haven't had to wait days for a payment to go through

Do you have a linked credit card?

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
My credit card is linked to my account and the money has already been withdrawn according to Bank of America. The charge hasn't been fully processed yet, but I never have to wait for that for other stuff I've bought online before.

Edit: Tried to log out/in and it worked. Wooooo sound!

Arsin

Well I bought this as soon as the servers came back up. Loving it so far. I can totally see myself losing countless hours playing this. I had one question for the veteran Gaf miners; do I need to dig down, into the earth, to find stuff like iron or can I find it by just digging far enough into the side of a mountain?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
rolre.png

Nothing like a little role reversal to see how they feel.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
n8BitMan said:
Nothing like a little role reversal to see how they feel.

I would so get a river to flow into that cave to drown them. Just for the sake for it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
OK I ignored this game, but everyone is talking about it. I read a bit about it but can someone answer the following for me

What is the average new player likely to do in the first 10 minutes?

I know that I could try it out, but with my bad halo reach addiction, this game is also apparently crack, not sure I should...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
catfish said:
OK I ignored this game, but everyone is talking about it. I read a bit about it but can someone answer the following for me

I know that I could try it out, but with my bad halo reach addiction, this game is also apparently crack, not sure I should...

Wander around aimlessly.

Unless you know to go and punch down some trees first :)

Jintor

Punch trees (hold down the punch button or you'll get nowhere).

Take that wood, and make lumber.

Take that lumber, and make sticks.

Take those sticks and that lumber, and make yourself a pick, a shovel, a sword, and an axe.

Strike the Earth.

kottila

catfish said:

chop down some trees
collect stone to combine with sticks (made from trees) to create pickaxe
Use pickaxe to hopefully find coal to make torches
Find a place to set up shelter for the night,

kottila

Jintor said:
So is sound working with the new client? Mine doesn't seem to be, and I've d/l'd the resources folder and everything.

from twitter
Notch said:
Minecraft.net is a lot faster now, but sounds and music
won't work until tonight. And also, 10000 sales since I fixed the server! :-O

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
catfish said:

I dug around aimlessly w/o knowing of the horrors of the night. I have learned. It took me a few tries, but now I've made a small fort where I can work in peace w/o the spiders/zombies/skeletons/etc. coming after me. I plan to expand the fort into a mountain so that I can dig for minerals. This way I'll be able to work at night as well.

catfish said:

Average new player...Wander around the world, look at the scenery, gather some dirt, get horribly maimed the first night, come back to NeoGAF and post "WATDO".

fresquito

So I lost sound :-(

You know, sound in this game wasn't big... or so I thought until I lost it! It doesn't feel the same. I want my sound back!

Blizzard said:
Well folks, looks like that's it. Amazon Cloud is taking all of Notch's money and he doesn't even care. :'(
Amazon is not thaaaaaat expensive!

Lost sound as well and I don't get it. I have them in my folder :( Want them back!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Got a server up and running. Been playing with a friend on a new world. I found this rather large mountain on the biggest island with a large hole in it. The hole didn't go very deep, but that mixed with a few waterfalls made it quite awesome looking. We made that our base of operations.

After many hours, we had nearly a whole level mined out and in use as our base. I build a ladder and hit the floor and find this -massive- tunnel going straight down into the earth. It was honestly a labyrinth. We saw no end in sight, massive amounts of things to dig out, zombies at every turn. Streams and rivers connecting. It never fucking ended. We decided to pull back and build some better gear, only to realize that we had literally no idea how we came in. It took us a good 30 minutes to find out which hole led to the exit and we finally made our way out. At that point, we had also exhausted every tool in our bags as well. I would have lost my mind if I were in a cave like that IRL.

I am nervous about going back in that thing again. We won't touch it 'till we're fully prepped this time.

fresquito

Usually, when I find such a cave, I leave it for a next time. And this next time, doesn'ty usually come :lol I love caves and all, but it gets too crazy when you're going inside one of them. Besides, I have lots of iron and some gold and lots of redstone and I don't really know what to tdo with it :lol

stressboy

Caesar III said:
Amazon is not thaaaaaat expensive!

Lost sound as well and I don't get it. I have them in my folder :( Want them back!

I lost sound as well.. looks like I am playing on peaceful until it is fixed.

I've gotten into the habit of setting up a small barricade with torches and a twin set of doors if I'm pretty sure I've hit a branch of my tunnels with enemies, until I can clear it out. Though it has an ominous side effect, it feels a little like Zelda to look at. So far I haven't hit any proper dungeons yet, but some really extensive tunnels, and an even bigger example of a river and a lava flow meeting from opposite directions, right where I dropped down.

Dropped my money on the full version, I've gotten too much enjoyment out of this to do anything otherwise.

Haunted

What's the best way to destroy monster spawning locations? I stumbled over my first one yesterday (wasn't even aware at first because the Painterly Pack has a kinda weird texture for it :lol) A greenish mossy cube kept spawning spiders.

There were two chests nearby, but I wasn't fast enough to loot them after killing all the spiders, they respawned too quickly. Tried hitting the spawn with various tools, tried to set it on fire, but no dice. I marked the spot with a sign and entombed the room with the spiders for now. :p

L00P

Dunno if you guys already know this, but following the "ominous sounds" may lead you to a secret area. I was in this cave earlier and I thought there was not much in there. Then I heard a creepy sound which I think was coming through this wall. So I drilled my way through it and guess what? There was this fire thingy that seems to be spawning infinite spiders:lol

Haunted said:
What's the best way to destroy monster spawning locations? I stumbled over my first one yesterday (wasn't even aware at first because the Painterly Pack has a kinda weird texture for it :lol) A greenish mossy cube kept spawning spiders.

There were two chests nearby, but I wasn't fast enough to loot them after killing all the spiders, they respawned too quickly. Tried hitting the spawn with various tools, tried to set it on fire, but no dice. I marked the spot with a sign and entombed the room with the spiders for now. :p

What I did was lure them into a pit I made that they can't climb out of. I think it spawns a limited spiders at one time

fresquito

Haunted said:

From my experience, if you put torches nearby, they won't spawn. Then you can use your pickaxe to destgroy the thing.

Haunted

L00P said:
What I did was lure them into a pit I made that they can't climb out of. I think it spawns a limited spiders at one time
Thanks for the answer, I'm going to return and show those spiders my superior human intellect.

edit: oh, so you can destroy them? Maybe my equipment wasn't up to snuff, tried it with an iron sword and iron pickaxe.

For the life of me I cant get water in a bucket, somebody help me!

EDIT: Ok, seems it doesnt work with waterfalls.

EDIT: Now it seems to work on waterfalls, I dont understand how I couldnt get the water in the cave.

Vlad

Haunted said:
Thanks for the answer, I'm going to return and show those spiders my superior human intellect.

edit: oh, so you can destroy them? Maybe my equipment wasn't up to snuff, tried it with an iron sword and iron pickaxe.

The iron pickaxe will be enough, actually. I usually just wait in a corner until a monster spawns, quickly kill it, then run over and pickaxe the spawner until it's gone (it takes longer than most blocks). Waiting until right after killing a spawned monster means that you have the maximum time to take out the spawner. If you just run up and start whacking at it you could end up having something spawn right next to you.

SpacePirate Ridley said:
For the life of me I cant get water in a bucket, somebody help me!

EDIT: Ok, seems it doesnt work with waterfalls.

EDIT: Now it seems to work on waterfalls, I dont understand how I couldnt get the water in the cave.

There are two types of water blocks - sources and flowing water. You can only pick up water sources in the bucket (which will be the highest, deepest block of a waterfall or any still block of water).

edgefusion

+1 sales. I played this game for about 6 hours last night, addictive as hell. At first I was just tooling around and getting killed but now that I've got the hang of it I've built a little shack over my first mine. Having a bit of a flooding problem at the moment though due to tunnelling up into a lake but the unpredictability is what makes the game so much fun!

So my server is back up and running after a fairly intense electrical storm i was having over here. Once again, it's 206.248.133.226:25565 to connect.

On another note, it seems my sound is now missing? Do I have to download it manually like all the free weekend players?

TouchMyBox said:
On another note, it seems my sound is now missing? Do I have to download it manually like all the free weekend players?

No, sound isn't working even if you have the resources downloaded - notch said he'll fix it tonight.

*edit, 14000 bought today, if it keeps up at this pace he'll break the 200,000 sold mark by tomorrow!

Leonsito

Saw this post this weekend
Entered the website yesterday
Oh shit, it's down... I downloaded the free version
Bought it today.

Bootaaay said:
No, sound isn't working even if you have the resources downloaded - notch said he'll fix it tonight.

*edit, 14000 bought today, if it keeps up at this pace he'll break the 200,000 sold mark by tomorrow!

It's almost up to 15,000 in the last 24 hours. This is absurd :lol

fresquito

So, what do you use gold for? I have some gold lying around, unused, and I'm wondering if it's worth using it to create a sword, or a pickaxe. I won't create an armor, since I spend little time fighting and it'd cost me almost all my gold.

Philthy

fresquito said:
So, what do you use gold for? I have some gold lying around, unused, and I'm wondering if it's worth using it to create a sword, or a pickaxe. I won't create an armor, since I spend little time fighting and it'd cost me almost all my gold.

Not much right now, you would think it would make some totally awesome items, but it really doesn't. Just hang onto it...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom