• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
fresquito said:
So, what do you use gold for? I have some gold lying around, unused, and I'm wondering if it's worth using it to create a sword, or a pickaxe. I won't create an armor, since I spend little time fighting and it'd cost me almost all my gold.

Useless right now, save it. Word is it'll be an important part of an alchemy/magic system he wants to add.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Vinci said:
Holy shit. This thing is outselling retail games, like a really large number of them.
And its still an alpha. I'm kind of worried actually, is it going to saturate before he finished development? Are people who get tired of it not going to come back when its finished?

fresquito

The_Technomancer said:
And its still an alpha. I'm kind of worried actually, is it going to saturate before he finished development? Are people who get tired of it not going to come back when its finished?
Who cares? I've delved hours and hours into it, just in the last two weeks. And it's been a blast, to the point where I think it's my fave game ever. If I stop playing before the game is finished, you can bet I won't be complaining.

Edit: BTW, thanks for the info. Such a bummer. Well, until it's of any use, I'll be treasuring, like it was... you know, gold.

ezekial45

Banned
I've yet to try the game, but after watching the videos i really want to give it a shot.

I understand the game is in Alpha, but once the game is complete, do you have to buy it again to play it?

Vinci

Danish
The_Technomancer said:

Yeah, that's the part that still boggles the mind. The guy has sold, in Alpha, more copies than many 3rd party titles sell. Now, that... that's progress.

ezekial45 said:
I've yet to try the game, but after watching the videos i really want to give it a shot.

I understand the game is in Alpha, but once the game is complete, do you have to buy it again to play it?

Notch has said that once you buy it, you will get all updated versions. Period.

Some shots of the world I've been working on for the past week;

world5.jpg

My first base, a 5x5 mine straight down to the bedrock and my papyrus farm;

world5-1.jpg

Tree-house;

world5-2.jpg

Castle;

world5-3.jpg

Strange waterfall/tree building I just finished this morning, it's a bit bare at the moment;

world5-7.jpg

world5-4.jpg

world5-5.jpg

Vinci

Danish
That's quite well-developed, Bootaaay... Out of curiosity, though, why does your world look like it has a heavy blue tint?

Calantus

i've been playing this recently, and man i've lost two bases. Each time i die, i don't know where it is again. I need to make a landmark or something.

Vinci said:
That's quite well-developed, Bootaaay... Out of curiosity, though, why does your world look like it has a heavy blue tint?

It's a program called f.lux that changes the screens colour temperature based on the time of day, keep forgetting to turn it off before I play games :p

Vinci

Danish
Calantus said:
i've been playing this recently, and man i've lost two bases. Each time i die, i don't know where it is again. I need to make a landmark or something.

I don't know if it's a default for everyone or not, but I always spawn on or near a beach. So I take sand blocks and build a relatively large tower - something that is visible from a decent distance away. From there, I create shelter and figure out what I'm doing with my base of operations. Once I'm relatively safe, I find that tower of sand again and create a road of torches from wherever my base is to it.

Or you could use Cartographer to help you find your bases.

Calantus

Bootaaay said:
It's a program called f.lux that changes the screens colour temperature based on the time of day, keep forgetting to turn it off before I play games :p

f.lux seems to give me a heavy orangish tint at night? is it base on the season?

Vinci

Danish
Pinko Marx said:
You guys desperately need texture packs. I can't stand looking at screenshots of the default texture.

I happen to like the default texture. All the other ones I've looked at don't feel right to me. To me, the default is part of what gives Minecraft its charm.

MNC said:
Flux shouldn't capture the tint as well I thought.

Maybe it's something to do with Fraps, as it doesn't seem that blue while i'm playing.

Vinci said:
I happen to like the default texture. All the other ones I've looked at don't feel right to me. To me, the default is part of what gives Minecraft its charm.

Same here - there have been some nice darker texture packs I have liked, and some cool stuff done with armor, weapons and the inventory/crafting screens, but ultimately when using texture packs I've either got annoyed by graphical errors and static water/lava, or just decided I like the standard look a whole lot better.

Anyone have pics of some different texture packs? I'm on my iPhone so I don't know where to look. I like the default look a lot and don think I could change but I'd be interested in seeing what it could look like?

fresquito

Pinko Marx said:
You guys desperately need texture packs. I can't stand looking at screenshots of the default texture.
I'm yet to find one that totally convinces me. Closest thing was Doku's with some awesome gaffer's input. I used those for a few days, but in the end I went back to vanilla because the world looked too dark to my liking.

I'm open to new texture packs, but up until now, the best for me, is still the original.

Yaweee

I loved my time with the game over the weekend and last few days, but I'll probably hold out on buying it until there is more of an in-game interface. I really hate having to constantly look up what different blocks are somewhere outside of the game.

Also, difficulty levels need to be fixed? If there is an honest debate whether Normal is harder than Easy or Hard, something is wrong.

fresquito

Looks good, but just like Doku's, it looks too dark and tree leaves are solid. So, yeah, it looks more beautifu, but it doesn't look better for Minecraft. At least not in my eyes.

fresquito said:
Looks good, but just like Doku's, it looks too dark and tree leaves are solid. So, yeah, it looks more beautifu, but it doesn't look better for Minecraft. At least not in my eyes.

Tree leaves are solid because the graphics are on fast and not fancy mode. Also there are several different grass textures. As I said ITS CUSTOMIZABLE.
Just take a look at the website.

Philthy said:
Painterly is too fuzzy or something. Blocks look like they've got hair or something.

Thats just my screenshots having shitty compression.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
http://minecraft.net/stats.jsp

In the last 24 hours, 39183 people registered, and 17973 people bought the game.

It just keeps climbing! It's fun to refresh that page every couple minutes and see the # be a couple hundred higher :lol

Although, aren't we getting very close to 24 hours of uptime? So it should drop back down to sane levels, as the first of yesterday's purchasers drop off...

So I recently bought the game but haven't really played it much (like 10 minutes). Is there a way to have your saved worlds in a DropBox folder or something so I can play the same levels at work and at home?

Vinci

Danish
purvispisgah said:
So I recently bought the game but haven't really played it much (like 10 minutes). Is there a way to have your saved worlds in a DropBox folder or something so I can play the same levels at work and at home?

Just save the folder on a thumb drive or transfer it through email back and forth after zipping it. Works for me.

I think my favourite texture pack is SMP's Realistic 2, still not perfect, but it has a slightly darker look that I like;

http://smp.thatgamer.com/realistic/

purvispisgah said:

Yeah, just copy your world's folder from the Mincraft directory (C:\Users\<username>\appdata\roaming\.minecraft\saves) - appdata is a hidden folder, btw.

Sciz

The default textures have this wonderfully retro EGA look to them that takes me straight back to '91/'92. Wouldn't dream of replacing them.

Yeah, just copy your world's folder from the Mincraft directory (C:\Users\<username>\appdata\roaming\.minecraft\saves) - appdata is a hidden folder, btw.

I don't seem to have a ".minecraft" folder in the roaming folder, yet I have a saved game that I can go back to. This is on my work computer with XP Pro. Anyone run into this?

Philthy

Pinko Marx said:
Thats just my screenshots having shitty compression.

It's in game as well. I creeps me out playing with the pack. Makes my eyes feel like they're not focused. One you see the hair, you can't unsee it. I prefer Doku because it's vibrant and very clean.

Mudkips

Banned
So I played on Monday because I had the day off and I was bored, and it was free (because the servers were down).

I just bought it.

What's the whole server bit about?
Do I get to build along side other people connected to the same server?

cZCCz0563L9x.jpg

In the last 24 hours, 41531 people registered, and 19024 people bought the game.

Infos from Notch:

The server got overloaded in two ways;
1) Way, waaay too much traffic and too many connections
2) Way, waaay too much cpu usage.

For the traffic, I did this:

I moved all the game binaries out to an Amazon S3 cloud thingie. This scales easily with out needs, and even has support for a CDN in Amazon CloudFront. A CDN (Content Delivery Network) is basically a bunch of servers all over the world which redirect so you download the files from the server nearest to you.

I haven’t been able to move the resources (sounds and music yet) because those used a rather ridiculous auto updating scheme that was different from the rest of the game. I will fix this today.

Minecraft Classic is also offline for the time being since I wasn’t able to get it to download from the S3 easily. I will try to get this up today as well, but I can’t promise anything there. It is coming back, though.

For the CPU load, I did this:

The problem was that I had written my own database early on before I even had decided to sell the game yet, and it kind of stuck around. I sat down and set up a proper RDB database (mysql). Currently, this is also running via Amazon Cloud.

The first version of the DB hit the CPU cap pretty fast until I realized I could scale it up to a much faster database with just a couple of clicks. Now it’s currently configured to be quite a bit faster than we actually need, but since I like the idea of actually having MORE power than needed somewhere, I’m keeping it that way for a few days.

Pending payments:

After I temporarily took out the sound and music updating, the website got a lot faster, but before that payments were queuing up, so it could take quite some time for some people to actually get their game after they bought it.

What happened is that paypay tried to send the notification immediately, but when the system is busy, it adds the notification to an internal queue in paypal’s system, and resends it after a short period of time. If it fails a SECOND time, it increases the counter and tries even later. So if you got unlucky, it could time out three times in a row, and you’d have to wait a fairly long time. All the payments are still secure, but they just didn’t get processed immediately.

If you bought the game and didn’t receive it immediately, I’m sorry to keep you waiting. Please wait until tomorrow or so before contacting us, though.. We’re getting a LOT of emails about accounts that have already been updated automatically when we check them.

Future updates:

TkTech is pretty much done with his rewrite which will give minecraft.net a much more modern codebase. We’ll set that version up on a separate server and test it, then cut over when it works. We might need help testing it, and then I thought I might ask you guys to help out, if you don’t mind. :-D

Vorador

Banned
purvispisgah said:
I don't seem to have a ".minecraft" folder in the roaming folder, yet I have a saved game that I can go back to. This is on my work computer with XP Pro. Anyone run into this?

The save data it's in a different folder on XP. Just search .minecraft on the "Documents and Settings" folder.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
purvispisgah said:
I could be wrong but I think that path is for Vista and 7 only.
XP is somewhere else.

I might be wrong.

Mudkips

Banned
Bootaaay said:
Yep, that's the gist of it - TouchMyBox has a server running that you can try it out with;

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=23474165&postcount=5244

Yeah I hopped on there for a few seconds to see what was what.
I'm at work so I can't play now.

Are multiplayer server world's persistent?

If all clients disconnect, does the server continue to chug along, running the world, so when someone connects again everything is the same, trees have grown, mobs have spawned, etc.?
What about if the server is restarted?

Askani

The folder is probably there. It's a hidden folder. Go into Tools > Folder Options > View and check the options for "Show hidden files and folders".

EDIT:::

Good, you found it.

Vorador

Banned
purvispisgah said:
Found it, thanks.

So I can just copy over "World1" between the two computers?

Yep, no prob.

If you're computer savvy, you could even set up automatic synchronization of the folder over internet, but that may be too much.

Are multiplayer server world's persistent?
YES!
If all clients disconnect, does the server continue to chug along, running the world, so when someone connects again everything is the same, trees have grown, mobs have spawned, etc.?
No, when noone is online nothing happens. The trees keep small etc. I'm not sure about items and blocks noone picked up though.
What about if the server is restarted?
All players get kicked then and can connect again. Their spawn points are where they where before and the world is the same again.

Haunted

I've been switching back and forth between vanilla, painterly and doku's texture pack inbetween play sessions and now I have trouble recognising which material is which. :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom