• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Philthy

Vinci said:
200k sales for a game in alpha. Made by one guy.

This is what I wanted gaming to be. So fucking awesome.

This is what gaming used to be back in the Atari/C64/Amiga days. It was standard to have one or two people pumping stuff out. It's so sorely missed these days, I'm glad he's pulling this off.

Though, I'd like him to hired a pile of people to add stuff in quicker now that I'm freaking impatient.

Sciz

VGChampion said:
As much as it's awesome that Minecraft is selling extremely well, does anyone hear just not really care about sales figures? That seems to be the biggest talking point the past couple weeks.
Sales come up a lot because over the course of the last three months the amount of registered accounts has gone up 3x, but the amount of paid accounts has gone up 10x. The massive influx of capital is significant since he's pouring it back into the game by hiring staff. It's one of the most direct cause->effect examples of the importance of sales-age I can think of.

We'll see more game talk when the results of the game's explosion of popularity start paying off in features.

edit: 200k, check

Glix

Newbie here. I've been seeing this thread for months but never took the plunge.

The game is incredible. I paid for the full version, so excited for updates and stuff, but even if Notch decided to stop tomorrow, the game is amazing as is.

Its almost more of an engine then a game. I'm not too creative, but I've been walking around the past few days thinking of amazing games that could be made with this.

Some sort of siege simulator would be so freakin cool.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
And there you... go:

2gwwc90.png

Edit: And 10 seconds later:

2qx6d90.png

:lol

Travado

Well deserved.

When I bought it, 22000 people had already purchased Minecraft. And Notch sold the same amount (+ 23000) in the last 24 hours, omg!

And this is just Minecraft Alpha.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I wish I remember what the purchase # was at when I bought it. I was a little late to the buying party (compared to some), but as I think I've mentioned in this topic, I played one of the VERY FIRST Minecraft tests. It was in Feb or March of 2009, I think.

Edit: I found the link that led me to the game. It was a blog post from May 2009:

http://www.indiegames.com/blog/2009/05/browser_game_pick_minecraft_ma.html

At that time there was no multiplayer, and no survival mode. So it was basically just a java client where you could run around and add/remove blocks. It was basically the worst of both worlds :lol

I ran around for like 2min and said "this is pointless" and closed it. In my defense, it WAS kind of pointless, at that point. Survival mode has made the game.

Having tunnelled my way around my castle in all directions, I decide to produce a selection of diamond equipment and go off to caverns new. I spend the day crossing the map, leaving beacons to show my path.

I see a nice digging position and start. Its getting dark now, and I don't want a spider jumping down the entrance after me, so I seal it closed with some soil blocks and dig dig dig.

Ten minutes later, I emerge in a dungeon and explode-o-zombie-bastard-arseface blows me up.

I respawn and try to go back, if anything to recover my invaluable diamond digging equipment. I follow the beacons. I stop. I can't find my tunnel. When I sealed the entrance behind me earlier, I did not consider this predicament.

Shitsticks.

Vlad

GDJustin said:
I ran around for like 2min and said "this is pointless" and closed it. In my defense, it WAS kind of pointless, at that point. Survival mode has made the game.

I don't remember when I originally played it, but your experience mirrors mine almost exactly. I tried one of the super-early tests, thought it was moderately interesting for about five minutes, then closed the browser and never went back.

Of course, I was extremely surprised when I started hearing all the buzz about the game over the last few months, and caved and bought it a couple months back after reading some of the various stories of adventures that people have had.

Bah. I bought this months ago but never really got around to doing anything with it. Now I actually want to play, and there's no sound.

Yes, I downloaded the resource pack, and sound works if I shut off my Internet connection. That's not really an option though.

I even tried blocking Minecraft.exe in windows firewall, but it doesn't help. I would probably have to block the java, which I don't know how to do.

Haunted

Mama Robotnik said:
Having tunnelled my way around my castle in all directions, I decide to produce a selection of diamond equipment and go off to caverns new. I spend the day crossing the map, leaving beacons to show my path.

I see a nice digging position and start. Its getting dark now, and I don't want a spider jumping down the entrance after me, so I seal it closed with some soil blocks and dig dig dig.

Ten minutes later, I emerge in a dungeon and explode-o-zombie-bastard-arseface blows me up.

I respawn and try to go back, if anything to recover my invaluable diamond digging equipment. I follow the beacons. I stop. I can't find my tunnel. When I sealed the entrance behind me earlier, I did not consider this predicament.

Shitsticks.
I knew how the story would end right then and there. :lol

Ramma2

Got my multiplayer server up and running, but I'll porbably wait until the multi is closer to single player before i start to play there full time.

Then tonight I sat down with my 8 year old son for about 30 mins and he thought it was great! Had him harvesting wood and hiding in a dirt hole once night fell =P Still a exploder guy found him out and blew him to bits.

Yeah best 13$ ever.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ugh. Just lost a bunch of shit in a dungeon. Even lost only the second score of diamond I've found. Wish the despawn rate was a bit longer. =/

randomwab

ZealousD said:
Ugh. Just lost a bunch of shit in a dungeon. Even lost only the second score of diamond I've found. Wish the despawn rate was a bit longer. =/

Same thing happened to me, and I sort of lost interest in my world after it was gone. I'm lost in some cave system that I dug into, and I'm considering starting a fresh world.

edgefusion

Today I smashed down my wooden house, re-located it to over a lake and built it in stone, built a temple over my mine entrance and completely re-engineered the passage leading down to the mine itself (previously it was just a jumble of steps, now it's a smooth long tunnel with a big ass ladder). Oh and I went to a friends birthday party for a couple of hours but whatever, Minecraft.

L00P

149nj0o.jpg

I found it in a treasure chest. What does it do? I can't seem to find anything about it in the wiki. I'm afraid to right-click because it might be something that could only be used once:lol

Still no sound. Speaking of it, why is there no sound? I mean, it's not like he sound files are being streamed from the internet as you play, right?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Blu_LED said:
Still no sound. Speaking of it, why is there no sound? I mean, it's not like he sound files are being streamed from the internet as you play, right?

They take up the most bandwidth. His server was dying from the 20,000+ new customers a day downloading the client, so he took the sound out hoping it would alleviate some of the load. Apparently it didn't help.

Cheech

I'm one of the people who bought this today.

What a great game. I didn't do much; just built a huge rampart over this cave I found. Unfortunately, I can't do a whole lot else, because I haven't figured out how to make a torch and how to keep the inside of the rampart lit.

Also have no idea about weapons, or how to make mining implements.

I'm glad the trees respawn. I was afraid I was strip mining my starting area!

ijed

Blu_LED said:

RTFB N00BS :p
http://notch.tumblr.com/

Was reading on another thread if you still have your resources folder you can press F3 and S in game to re-enable sounds. At work so haven't tried it ...

Rainier

Cheech said:
I'm one of the people who bought this today.

What a great game. I didn't do much; just built a huge rampart over this cave I found. Unfortunately, I can't do a whole lot else, because I haven't figured out how to make a torch and how to keep the inside of the rampart lit.

Also have no idea about weapons, or how to make mining implements.

I'm glad the trees respawn. I was afraid I was strip mining my starting area!

It's pretty easy, go here: http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

Or just follow this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylVtj-1Ccgg

iammeiam

ijed said:
RTFB N00BS :p
http://notch.tumblr.com/

Was reading on another thread if you still have your resources folder you can press F3 and S in game to re-enable sounds. At work so haven't tried it ...

F3+S totally worked for me--I didn't lose sound until today, when the program crashed and relaunching required me running in offline mode. Just tried F3+S and... sound returned. So, thanks. Now I can go back to building my cactus pit.

Blizzard

Banned
Twig said:
It's a saddle. Put it on a pig.

Not sure if you get it back by killing the pig, though.
Last time I tried a saddle, you do NOT get it back, plus you still can't steer pigs as far as I know (you just sit there and the pig wanders around). Not really useful so far. :lol

Doing F3 + S does indeed fix sound for me, but I seem to have to do it after I load my game each time. No big deal, and I'm assume he'll fix it in the next couple of days.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Does anybody else occasionally have problems connection to TouchMyBox's server? There's a lot of times that the game tells me "connection timed out".

fresquito

Mama Robotnik said:

Shitsticks.
Predictable story. I like using sand in my "sealing doors". This way I know at glance it's not a natural wall. And it can be seen from either side.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
For my sealing doors I use... a door. Seriously, it is 6 wood planks. Still only 10 if you have to make the workbench to craft it.

I'm using a custom skin, a combination of 2 3D Dot game heroes art, two pieces modified from links awakening, various other parts that I selected, and my own modifications.

Below is my current world. I decided to start out with an underwater palace. I wanted a dungeon instead of a castle, I loved the idea of having a huge hidden underwater place. I also made a forest grove in the shape of a tree, and recently built my tower/castle.

So here's what your looking at in the first set.
-My recent build a Castle/tower with a in work glass walkway.
-Two groves the one on the left is above my hidden underwater home. The right is my actual tree shaped grove for foresting.
-There are two grass land bars around the trees covering my underwater home, each allows a water fall for the sides of my inside base.
-Theres a small tunnel I built to get out of a cave system that little block of land with the door leads down to it now. Added stairs to make life easier, that shot in the cave shows the exit to the water above.

Outside.jpg

Second set is of my underwater home.
-Underwater door entrance leads to a now seemingly tiny room. I built this the first day to make safety its very small but housed my first two chests.
-Looking down further into it you can see my massive open room. WIth a small building leading to my crafting area. my dungeon home has a lava flow decor with waterfall sides. I also have lava around my crafting entrance for lighting.
-Theres a door behind the waterfall to a hidden cave system entrance. This cave system is absolutely huge, theres a shot of where you come out into the cave.
-Inside my crafting room I have a wall of furnaces, and instead of signs for my blocks I used the block types on the wall to know what is what. Two chests per section on in from one built into the ground.
-Then theres my favorite room. My lava room, It's in a separate room, to keep anything from catching fire, each hole has a bucket of lava in it. So I have a huge supply on quick demand.

Inside.jpg

The third set is my castle.
-This one is straight forward, it's my castle.
-Theres some huge water flows and trees on one side. Also if you look at the line from the one water flow to the other side, it's pointing to the hidden entrance. Theres an unlit cave behind a waterfall around the back of the town which is being pointed to.
-This set of stairs is in the entrance to the tower, it is the only access to the actual tower, so you need to know where the hidden door is under the waterfall.
-Views from my castle, one from my walkway in progress, you can see the grove which looks like a tree.

Castle.jpg

putarorex

I decided to buy this after enjoying the free weekend, and now the game is nearly unplayable.

Before I could play full screen, now I have to keep the window small or the game crashes. Before I had sound, now I don't (the F3 + S trick works). Before I rarely had framerate issues, now I have to reboot the game several times before I can get an acceptable framerate.

I realize I bought an alpha version of a game and that things will likely be fixed in the long run, but I can't help but feel a little cheated after a great weekend of very smooth gameplay. :lol

putarorex said:
I decided to buy this after enjoying the free weekend, and now the game is nearly unplayable.

Before I could play full screen, now I have to keep the window small or the game crashes. Before I had sound, now I don't (the F3 + S trick works). Before I rarely had framerate issues, now I have to reboot the game several times before I can get an acceptable framerate.

I realize I bought an alpha version of a game and that things will likely be fixed in the long run, but I can't help but feel a little cheated after a great weekend of very smooth gameplay. :lol

I am having similar problems.

It is a great game... but I wish they would write a decent graphics engine asap (and no I am not talking about the looks of the game) with all that money.

Things get rocky every now and then. It's still the Greatest Game Ever Made.

Honestly if this isn't GOTY of whatever year Notch decides it's ready to call an actual release, I will punch someone.
Actually I won't really care.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom