• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Twig said:
I dunno, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Don't think he will, though. It's good to have limits every now and then!

If he didn't have limits I would literally dig until the game crashed. I cant help myself :(.

Vlad

Yaweee said:
Also: What is the best way to find lava? Just down, down, down, or more likely to be near natural cave formations?

Lava can be found sporadically underground (and occasionally above ground), but the largest concentrations of it are all the way at the bottom. I'm working on an obsidian tower right now, and I've managed to find several HUGE lava lakes at the bottom of the map that I've been using for materials.

Awakened

Twig said:
I dunno, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Don't think he will, though. It's good to have limits every now and then!
I think it would be cool to be warped somewhere like that if you find one of those holes in the bedrock and jumped in instead of just dying.

Notch really needs to add in a faster way to harvest obsidian.

I've got a couple of giant lakes of lava in the way of one of my mine tunnels, and it'll take hours to clear all of that out.

Ferrio

Banned
Vipershark said:
Notch really needs to add in a faster way to harvest obsidian.

I've got a couple of giant lakes of lava in the way of one of my mine tunnels, and it'll take hours to clear all of that out.

That's kinda the point of obsidian...

Twig

Banned
Awakened said:
I think it would be cool to be warped somewhere like that if you find one of those holes in the bedrock and jumped in instead of just dying.
Maybe that's how he plans to implement the fast-travel/hell he mentioned recently in his blog. U:

Who knows.

I think the holes are actually just a bug, though, heh.

The_Technomancer said:
But does she approach zero?
I was going to make a dick joke about my size approaching infinity but I won't.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
I'm having some fun with the red dust logic. I created a maintenance room in the floor of my castle which is housing my wiring. All this just so I can open the double doors to my main entrance simultaneously with a switch. :D

Philthy

Easy is actually bugged so that it's basically hard.

goldsoundz said:
When does the music play in this game?

When you're in a dark cave at the worst possible moment.

I think I've fallen into two lava pools because the music suddenly kicking in scared the crap out of me.

Yaweee

Animation-Imp said:
Bought it this evening,

even on easy I regularly get a creeper attacking me at my door.
I died a lot in these first hours.

Difficulties are currently fucked up. Easy spawns many more enemies than Normal or Hard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So for anybody that's a regular on TouchMyBox's server, I'm starting up a fairly big project. I wanna try and build a huge dome stadium.

It's basically gonna be on the area south of the spawn across the sea (for reference, Brohill is East of spawn). I've got a dirt column with torches marking the general location of where it's gonna be. Right now land needs to be cleared, so if you guys can help knock down trees and flatten the area, I'd appreciate it =)

ZealousD said:
So for anybody that's a regular on TouchMyBox's server, I'm starting up a fairly big project. I wanna try and build a huge dome stadium.

It's basically gonna be on the area south of the spawn across the sea (for reference, Brohill is East of spawn). I've got a dirt column with torches marking the general location of where it's gonna be. Right now land needs to be cleared, so if you guys can help knock down trees and flatten the area, I'd appreciate it =)
The leafs were driving me nuts, so I made it through about ten trees before I went to go deposit the wood where you told me to, then checked out the world you guys built. I may hop back on later tonight and chop down some more trees. I say we torch the leafs!

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
ZealousD said:

So are you the bastard responsible for this fabled 'New Greece'?

Yaweee

How strict are the "rules" on private servers? Generally is it "don't build at the same place somebody else is", or is there more to it than that?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
EatChildren said:
So are you the bastard responsible for this fabled 'New Greece'?

Uhhhh... no. I'm only responsible for the giant storage tower and this upcoming stadium. Are you referring to that building that's west of the spawn? There's basically nothing but hills and trees where the stadium is going to be built atm.

Yaweee said:
How strict are the "rules" on private servers? Generally is it "don't build at the same place somebody else is", or is there more to it than that?

It's usually "don't tear up other people's stuff" and "don't steal from people's chests". It's also a common courtesy to replant trees you cut down, but that's usually about it. Just don't be a dick.

seb said:
Protip: Don't try to open a door when you are carrying a bucket of lava.
Last night I made a new world and quickly proceeded to accidentally dump a bucket of lava on the chest in my only base. The lava flowed down and killed me/destroyed all of my stuff and is now covering the entryway.

Glix

So I was digging a staircase down into a mountain. Every once in a while I would build a horozontal shaft, just to see where altitude I was at, and to explore more. Well, I got below sea level, but just a little.

I'm sure you see where this is going.

I was very sad when the cave flooded :)

Ferrio

Banned
Glix said:
So I was digging a staircase down into a mountain. Every once in a while I would build a horozontal shaft, just to see where altitude I was at, and to explore more. Well, I got below sea level, but just a little.

I'm sure you see where this is going.

I was very sad when the cave flooded :)

Plug the hole and it'll dry up.

Glix

Ferrio said:
Plug the hole and it'll dry up.

Yeah, I figured that out eventually. but I couldn't get close enough because of the current, so I had to go outside and figure out where it was happening, etc.

All I could think was...

this game is awesome.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Hey, this could be common as far as I know, but if you need a quick way to get down long distances, dig a one square shaft from top to bottom, and on the floor at the bottom dig one square under it as well. Then look up, and place a water block in the shaft three or four squares from the ground. You can jump in, rocket down, and land safely.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Just looked up some videos. I am sure it has been posted already, but http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ot39sgEMic shows a really good use of boats as elevators. You could make an underwater base really deep with a boat as the only viable escape option.

...... getting in is another story. I'll try downward currents maybe.

And yeah The_Technomancer, it is pretty widely known that 2 blocks of water will stop damage from any height but regardless its life saving knowledge that some may not know! Good stuff.

Another hint is that a ladder will also break any fall.

Drewsky

I haven't had a chance to play as much as everybody else I'm sure, but today when mining I found my first cave with lava flow and a spring. Really cool feeling stumbling upon that.

I dammed up the spring and under where the water flow had been was a shit load of iron and coal, so that was good too.

Ezalc

I have a few questions about this game. Not too long ago on the free version of it I tried to encase the whole map in glass. While making this ridiculous attempt I ran across what I guess was lava or whatever and it seemed to spread everywhere. I attempted to section off the lava, by using more glass. And it didn't really work out since if I started going through other places that are very far away from where the lava was it'd show up there too. Now my question is if something like that only happens in the free version? If so is that some kind of loading texture or whatever? And if my dream of encasing the entire map with glass may ever become a reality. I don't know why I wanted to do glass maybe just because I could see through it. Anyways, thanks for any help with this.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Ezalc said:
I have a few questions about this game. Not too long ago on the free version of it I tried to encase the whole map in glass. While making this ridiculous attempt I ran across what I guess was lava or whatever and it seemed to spread everywhere. I attempted to section off the lava, by using more glass. And it didn't really work out since if I started going through other places that are very far away from where the lava was it'd show up there too. Now my question is if something like that only happens in the free version? If so is that some kind of loading texture or whatever? And if my dream of encasing the entire map with glass may ever become a reality. I don't know why I wanted to do glass maybe just because I could see through it. Anyways, thanks for any help with this.
Well...the map is theoretically infinite in size, (okay, 8 times the surface area of the Earth, whatever) so I don't really see how you could encase the whole map in glass. If you keep running into lava in different places underground, its because the map-gen spawned lava there. There's pockets of lava everywhere deep down.

edgefusion

Glix said:
Yeah, I figured that out eventually. but I couldn't get close enough because of the current, so I had to go outside and figure out where it was happening, etc.

All I could think was...

this game is awesome.

It'll dry up and be full of green cubes that split up into smaller green cubes when you hit them!

Ezalc

TheNiX said:
How do you plan to encase an infinite world in glass?

Considering I don't actually have the game and like I said I played the free version, only a few times, there was a point in the map where I couldn't move anymore I was assuming that it ended. So I guess that it is impossible to do. Well thanks for answering my rather moronic question. Also that lava was annoying trying to contain it was a bitch. A very big one at that.

I'm guessing that the map is limited only on the free version, while in the one that you pay for it, it isn't.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Ezalc said:
I'm guessing that the map is limited only on the free version, while in the one that you pay for it, it isn't.

You got it. And you can just make lava vanish by placing rocks/dirt over it where it initially spawns. Same with water. Hell, if you were determined you could actually get rid of the ocean.

ZealousD said:

Working on it. It is going to take forever without more people though!

Sciz

Ezalc said:
Considering I don't actually have the game and like I said I played the free version, only a few times, there was a point in the map where I couldn't move anymore I was assuming that it ended. So I guess that it is impossible to do. Well thanks for answering my rather moronic question. Also that lava was annoying trying to contain it was a bitch. A very big one at that.

The free version didn't (and perhaps still doesn't) have an infinite map at one point, which is why you hit an end point.

As for lava, it doesn't behave like that anymore.

The_Technomancer said:
Well...the map is theoretically infinite in size, (okay, 8 times the surface area of the Earth, whatever) so I don't really see how you could encase the whole map in glass. If you keep running into lava in different places underground, its because the map-gen spawned lava there. There's pockets of lava everywhere deep down.
IIRC the free survival mode doesn't have an infinite world. It's limited. I did not try creativity mode yet though

Drewsky

Ezalc said:

I was just joking around earlier mayne. It wasn't moronic.

I have the updating minecraft screen something like 3 minutes saying downloading packages and it doesnt seem to move.

Its something wrong with it, or its really trying to downalod lots of packages now, big update perhaps?

EDIT: Ok, seemed that it got stuck, had to close it and open it again.

Haunted

The_Technomancer said:
Hey, this could be common as far as I know, but if you need a quick way to get down long distances, dig a one square shaft from top to bottom, and on the floor at the bottom dig one square under it as well. Then look up, and place a water block in the shaft three or four squares from the ground. You can jump in, rocket down, and land safely.
wait wait wait, how would one go to procure and place a "water block"? Scooping up a water spawn location with a bucket?

I don't even know how to differentiate a water spawn from regular water. >_>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom