• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

kottila

putarorex said:
I decided to buy this after enjoying the free weekend, and now the game is nearly unplayable.

Before I could play full screen, now I have to keep the window small or the game crashes. Before I had sound, now I don't (the F3 + S trick works). Before I rarely had framerate issues, now I have to reboot the game several times before I can get an acceptable framerate.

I realize I bought an alpha version of a game and that things will likely be fixed in the long run, but I can't help but feel a little cheated after a great weekend of very smooth gameplay. :lol

Put drawing distance on normal or short. Mine crashed all the time when I had it on long, but after changing, it hasn't crashed once

kottila said:
Put drawing distance on normal or short. Mine crashed all the time when I had it on long, but after changing, it hasn't crashed once

Wow. That helps a lot.

This game is pretty amazing. I had a few decent digs going. One ended up turning into a subterranean farm, one hit bedrock, the other went into a cave with skeletons. Haven't seen any spiders to kill to get a bow together yet, and the archers can hit me as I try to enter the cave. Doored that area off and plan on going back later.

Then went topside to fortify the immediate outside of my base with some castle walls.

Currently debating tunneling up into the mountain I'm under, or tunneling out to establish an outpost and then tunneling down again.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
This game really hits on some weird primal impulse to collect things and build something with it. Crazy how addictive it is.

Yaweee

I hope that the impending updates add larger creatures or more late-game challenge (read: MegaBeasts/Dragons). It feels like after a few days, with my mine entrance inside my castle, that there isn't really any kind of threat. Just sandbox from here on out (which isn't bad, but I would like more sense of impending doom like Night 1).

randomwab

Decided to extend my tower by another block wide, so I started working at it floor by floor. About four floors up, I just found two creepers blocked off under some stone stairs. I honestly have no idea how they got there. I finished that floor days ago too, and blocking off the under stair area is always the last thing I do when working on a floor.

25somdj.png

randomwab said:
About four floors up, I just found two creepers blocked off under some stone stairs. I honestly have no idea how they got there. I finished that floor days ago too, and blocking off the under stair area is always the last thing I do when working on a floor.

They'll spawn in any unlit area.

Ferrio

Banned
randomwab said:
Decided to extend my tower by another block wide, so I started working at it floor by floor. About four floors up, I just found two creepers blocked off under some stone stairs. I honestly have no idea how they got there. I finished that floor days ago too, and blocking off the under stair area is always the last thing I do when working on a floor.

Monsters spawn in darkness, even in your own home. If there's any open space (even if closed off), keep it lit!

randomwab

I didn't realise that they could spawn in darkness in your own base. Thinking about it now, why wouldn't they? Went back and put a torch under each set of stairs. Thanks guys.

Vinci

Danish
randomwab said:
I didn't realise that they could spawn in darkness in your own base. Thinking about it now, why wouldn't they? Went back and put a torch under each set of stairs. Thanks guys.

I got screwed over by this once - just once, and since then I've lit every single minute space with torches whilst building anything. The one time was enough... :lol

ultron87

randomwab said:

Shit. How lit does everything have to be to have nothing spawn?

Because I made a fairly deep mine last night, and certainly put down torches enough to be able to see, but I dunno how thorough I was.

edgefusion

ultron87 said:

Because I made a fairly deep mine last night, and certainly put down torches enough to be able to see, but I dunno how thorough I was.

I think it has to be pretty well lit, the main entrance of my Mine gets mobs spawning occasionally and it's lit up quite well.

Ferrio

Banned
ultron87 said:

If you can see it's enough light.

ultron87

edgefusion said:
I think it has to be pretty well lit, the main entrance of my Mine gets mobs spawning occasionally and it's lit up quite well.

Damn. :lol Guess I'm making some weapons before I head back down there.

Edit:

Ferrio said:
If you can see it's enough light.

Phew. I should probably be okay then. Though I'm definitely still keeping the door down to the mine closed.

Mudkips

Banned
For those of you hitting up touchmybox's server, feel free to check out my in-progress water slide. It's near PEN ISLAND. Just look up and around - it reaches to the sky box, you'll see it.

I just finished the stairway (took forever because shit kept crashing), and started the actual slide.
The waterslide has a couple of drops and then splits into 3 paths.
If you want, feel free to extend any of the three paths and do shit with em.

The annoying part is that you have to build from the top down, and thus, each time you want to extend the slide down you're going to have to do so from underneath. The alternative was to build a giant mountain of 10,000 blocks and then chisel out the slide.

If/when minecarts get fixed for multiplayer, I'll put tracks all the way up and down the stairs in a loop, and add a bunch of carts. Drop in some fuel and baby, you've got a ski lift goin'. Hop on, ride up, hop off, enter the slide, ride down, end up at the bottom, and hop on another cart to do it all again.

I'm at work, so no screens or anything.

Firebrand

EatChildren said:
Brohill is thriving!

Glad to hear it. I guess I should buy the game so I can do multiplayer again.

If I punch in a VISA card number on the Paypal thing, how long does it take for the purchase to go through and my account being upgraded?

Firebrand

Hmm I see. I take it linking it now will still delay the purchase.

Kaizen said:

* Minecarts: Minecarts do not function as expected. Minecarts can end up duplicated when used, wobble randomly, have their resource be unable to be retrieved, and cause severe client lag.

* Minecart tracks: Placing or destroying track will cause client-side performance issues, requiring the client to reconnect to the server. Failure to disconnect will result in the client becoming unresponsive.
So I think I know who it was crashing clients on Touchmybox's server the other night. :lol Sorry about that. A chicken was able to ride the cart up and down the hill though! The little guy looked so happy.

Drewsky

Yeah my sound is good now too.

Was playing last night missed the ladder and fell into my mine. Lost all my inventory that way. Sucks, especially since it was totally a stupid mistake.

Ferrio

Banned
Drewsky said:
Yeah my sound is good now too.

Was playing last night missed the ladder and fell into my mine. Lost all my inventory that way. Sucks, especially since it was totally a stupid mistake.

Armor soaks up fall damage really good. Main reason I put on armor.

randomwab

Damn, I have a terrible OCD reaction to this game where I want everything to look perfect, to the point where I constantly restructure my base and caves below so everything looks nice and so I have enough room to add steps so I don't have to jump up stairs and so all stone bricks match in look. This game destroys me, I love it so much.

Rubius

randomwab said:
Damn, I have a terrible OCD reaction to this game where I want everything to look perfect, to the point where I constantly restructure my base and caves below so everything looks nice and so I have enough room to add steps so I don't have to jump up stairs and so all stone bricks match in look. This game destroys me, I love it so much.

Yeah, its like Grinding in MMO's but without the MMO part and the Annoying part. Its simply a Collect/Create game.

fresquito

randomwab said:
Exactly my case.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
mitheor said:
How can i broke the blocks on this picture?

http://yfrog.com/j6asdrwp

You cant. That is bedrock, and it means you've dug about as deep as the game will allow.

Rubius said:
Yeah, its like Grinding in MMO's but without the MMO part and the Annoying part. Its simply a Collect/Create game.

Thats exactly what I love about this. Unlike the carrot and stick design of MMOs Minecraft has no real goal beyond what you decide for yourself.

Dragmire

One day Notch is gonna make bedrock breakable and below it will be hell. And people that ask questions that have been answered a hundred times without reading the thread will go there.

Note to people that are new to the game: that was all a joke. Bedrock will never be breakable, or he'd have to redesign the game if it were.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Mudkips said:
For those of you hitting up touchmybox's server, feel free to check out my in-progress water slide. It's near PEN ISLAND. Just look up and around - it reaches to the sky box, you'll see it.

I just finished the stairway (took forever because shit kept crashing), and started the actual slide.
The waterslide has a couple of drops and then splits into 3 paths.
If you want, feel free to extend any of the three paths and do shit with em.

The annoying part is that you have to build from the top down, and thus, each time you want to extend the slide down you're going to have to do so from underneath. The alternative was to build a giant mountain of 10,000 blocks and then chisel out the slide.

If/when minecarts get fixed for multiplayer, I'll put tracks all the way up and down the stairs in a loop, and add a bunch of carts. Drop in some fuel and baby, you've got a ski lift goin'. Hop on, ride up, hop off, enter the slide, ride down, end up at the bottom, and hop on another cart to do it all again.

I'm at work, so no screens or anything.

:lol I went up and down it atleast 10 times.

Haunted

To be fair, the default bedrock texture doesn't really let on that it's unbreakable. The texture packs do a better job conveying that these are really different from regular blocks.

Mudkips said:
So I made me a Samus skin.
Even has a baby (the baby, the baby, the baby, the baby) metroid following right behind her.

4uudy1.jpg
24n0bpv.jpg

Yaweee

randomwab said:
Best place to look for diamonds? I think someone mentioned around lava, but any more specific tips?

Also: What is the best way to find lava? Just down, down, down, or more likely to be near natural cave formations?

Haunted

randomwab said:
Best place to look for diamonds? I think someone mentioned around lava, but any more specific tips?
down down down. Most often within 10 layers of the bedrock. Note that I've only found two deposits myself so far, but that's what they say on the street, as it were. >_>

Can you fix the grey screen of death without going online on the machine that I'm trying to play on (no internet access). I've got two days before cable gets installed and was hoping to play something other than Diablo 2. Not that there is anything wrong with Diablo 2.

Twig

Banned
Dragmire said:
One day Notch is gonna make bedrock breakable and below it will be hell. And people that ask questions that have been answered a hundred times without reading the thread will go there.

Note to people that are new to the game: that was all a joke. Bedrock will never be breakable, or he'd have to redesign the game if it were.
I dunno, it shouldn't be too hard to do. Don't think he will, though. It's good to have limits every now and then!

Exploring caves is always more effective than just digging out your own mine. Always.

Or at the very least it's just as effective, and a lot less boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom