• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

edgefusion

Haunted said:
wait wait wait, how would one go to procure and place a "water block"? Scooping up a water spawn location with a bucket?

I don't even know how to differentiate a water spawn from regular water. >_>

It's a water spawn if it's got water coming out of it.

Haunted

edgefusion said:
It's a water spawn if it's got water coming out of it.
Brilliant! But all I see is 30 water blocks next to each other forming a big lake. :(

edit: oh wait, maybe I should switch to vanilla textures, I don't think the pack I'm using right now is animated.

edgefusion

Haunted said:
Brilliant! But all I see is 30 water blocks next to each other forming a big lake. :(

edit: oh wait, maybe I should switch to vanilla textures, I don't think the pack I'm using right now is animated.

That'll be it, in vanilla you can see the water gushing but if you have custom textures nothing is animated.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Haunted said:
wait wait wait, how would one go to procure and place a "water block"? Scooping up a water spawn location with a bucket?

I don't even know how to differentiate a water spawn from regular water. >_>
If you can scoop it, it'll be a spawn.

Hahahaha, mi giant train station is taking form!
So, so many stone dug and smelted to make it :lol

AHXxR.jpg

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Yeah, actually, it might be a good idea to remove the IP from the posts in this thread and put it in the thread in Online that can't be seen by the public.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
Vipershark said:
Notch really needs to add in a faster way to harvest obsidian.

I've got a couple of giant lakes of lava in the way of one of my mine tunnels, and it'll take hours to clear all of that out.
If you just want to destroy Lava I think you can simply replace it with other blocks?

Ezalc said:
Considering I don't actually have the game and like I said I played the free version, only a few times, there was a point in the map where I couldn't move anymore I was assuming that it ended. So I guess that it is impossible to do. Well thanks for answering my rather moronic question. Also that lava was annoying trying to contain it was a bitch. A very big one at that.

I'm guessing that the map is limited only on the free version, while in the one that you pay for it, it isn't.
It's not really even a "free version", totally different game at this point. Water/lava aren't such a bitch to contain in the Alpha either.

Evlar

Banned
So I load this up for the first time in my browser (the free edition) and it crashes repeatedly. Win7 box, older hardware. Is it just a browser-edition problem?

Man, this game could really use tooltips or something to tell you what an item or block is. I'll learn it all eventually, but I have all these stacks of slightly different colored blocks piling up in a chest since I don't know what the difference is between them. I'm reading up on them in the mining wiki now.

I don't really know what I'm gonna build yet. I'm more interested in exploring, mining, and surviving right now. I've built up a fort but it's based almost entirely on function and ignoring aesthetics so far. Basically, I dug myself a hobbit-hole into a hillside, ended up getting a big crater right outside my front door from an exploding zombie, and then built up a stone wall surrounding the crater so I've got a small courtyard area in front. Now I'm gradually venturing out during the day, looking for places to mine.

Yaweee

I wish TNT were easier to make. It takes so much gunpowder for a single cube due to Notch's obsession with the crafting making pretty designs that it greatly hurts the possibility of Blast Mining.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Yaweee said:
I wish TNT were easier to make. It takes so much gunpowder for a single cube due to Notch's obsession with the crafting making pretty designs that it greatly hurts the possibility of Blast Mining.

I wish for it to stay the same and just to be buffed. Then I hope for additional types to be added. So using maybe a 2x2 would make a smaller explosion with no countdown that would be ideal for making quick traps. Something along the lines of that.

TL:DR
Ditto, but he should add different types.

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
You realize it's entirely possible to fix this by adding more ways to get gunpowder, of course, instead of just changing the way crafting works.

Yaweee

Twig said:
You realize it's entirely possible to fix this by adding more ways to get gunpowder, of course, instead of just changing the way crafting works.

No fucking shit I realize that is possible. That's pretty obvious. It just doesn't seem to be Notch's MO based on the what I've read of the updates.

Like the other poster said, there should be a better variety of explosives, rather than just one that uses five gunpowder that is hard to find from enemies and blasts what only takes 20~30 seconds of mining time.

The amount of time and effort that it takes to make is completely out of whack with how useful it is. I like the idea of a one-use expendable item that can be used for mining, but it just doesn't seem plausible as is.

Blizzard

Banned
Notch says that yes, the Amazon cloud thing does seem kinda expensive. Hopefully he or his people makes good business decisions about it.

Notch said:
I’m exhausted! I’d really like to do a Seecret Friday update, both to keep you guys happy and to actually get to do some programming myself, but I need to wind down.

And.. Civilization 5 just got unlocked on Steam.

I’ll see you on the other side!
Sounds like there will probably be no update today either. :p

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI, someone made a Dwarf Fortress to Minecraft tool:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?PHPSESSID=1908b807711513f909acb07e98655d21&topic=64473.0

It's still very very early, but it is already AMAZING. I had some incredibly epic DF megaconstructions back in the day. I don't think I still have any of them though, so I can't test it out :(

Side note: If you're loving Minecraft, it is basically (Notch has even said) a very casual, simplistic version of Dwarf Fortress. They're very different games, but at their "core" are both about shaping a procedurally generated world as you see fit. So if you're willing to give EXTREMELY hardcore/complex gameplay a shot, you might just fall in love with DF too.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thanks to those of you who helped clear land for the stadium today. We've already got the border cleared enough so you guys know exactly where to clear for the next several days. No more "guessing" on how much land needs to be cleared.

This thing is going to be even bigger than I originally imagined. It'll take a lot of work to clear the whole thing and get it built, but I think it'll be worth it. =)

fresquito

I seem to have come to a halt. I'm making advancements in my world, but no milestone in sight. This, in part, is because I'm working on making my underground dungeon look great. I like doing this for two reasons. First: it's the dungeon connected to my house. Second: because otherwise I'd get damn lost. Besides, it looks so fine after you've cleared the rocks and made paths and halls and what not, that I couldn't stop shaping it.

From time to time I go to the overworld and take a spin around. It's good there're so many things to do, but I crave for SMP to have health and work just as good as single player.

FrancisH

So this is what I am currently working on, I think I may have made it a bit too big though. :lol

6xDg

Anyway I built it on top of this mountain because of this:

6xDh

A huge hole in the middle! Kinda like a volcano without the lava. Are these common? I have never seen one before so I thought it was quite neat. There are a few caves down there but I haven't explored it yet.

I am not sure what I am going to do with it after the castle is built though. My first idea was glass over the top as a floor and light it up with torches, but now I am thinking of just covering it, making a little entrance to it and building a dragon sculpture down there :lol

Rufus

It's never too high. Break the cloud cover!

So I've had this game for what, 3 days now (Quinns' RPS diary) and I'm in love. I can only imagine what Notch is going to add to this in the future.

I've also had my first "AAAHH! CREEPER!" moment just now. I heard a chicken outside the door of my first dwelling and went to shut it up and just by dumb luck spotted the green bastard coming at me from the side. Made it back inside without it blowing, but damn... Not going out there again for a while, because I don't know where it is. I might have to dig some holes into the walls of my little hill and pelt him with arrows. Hate these things! I need bigger windows, too... Right now I'm trying to hit bedrock though, see what I can chance upon. Hoping for some diamond in the first shaft.

Fireblend

Banned
Tried to buy it, ended up being charged 4 times and no game :( sent a mail to the payment address they've got in their FAQ. Just wanted to share my pain with GAF. I'm trusting it will be resolved though, and I'm still interesting in getting to play.

Blizzard said:
Notch says that yes, the Amazon cloud thing does seem kinda expensive. Hopefully he or his people makes good business decisions about it.

Sounds like there will probably be no update today either. :p

Why bother working on the game when you've already made 2 million dollars?

Sigh...

Mudkips said:
So some asshats dried up my waterslide and messed with a good chunk of it.
Sigh.

Guess the IP should've only been visible in the online forum :(

AIRic

I bought MC and it's a great fun time-waster. But, I have one question : How can I play this game on different computer? When I bought it, I thought that it will be the perfect game to play on university computer between courses. So, I started my first game in the browser at home, but when I got to the library, I logged on to see that there was no games available.

Is my game stored somewhere on my HD at home?
Can I put my saved games on USB storage to play on another computer?

Steeven

So I read this thread and couldn't resist trying the game at least. At first I didn't like it, but now I understand the mechanics it's really addictive and fun. And it's no timewaster either, you can do a lot in just half an hour.

Anyway. I'm not much of an architect, but I like how you can do whatever you want. So at first I've build this house:

61132_152902674743256_100000705742014_296035_263142_n.jpg

My house was made of dirt in the beginning. Then, when I had enough wood, I simply replaced the tiles with wood. Then, I got stone and replaced the wood with that.
The chimney is just a point for me to recognize where my house is at. Already I got lost on a few expeditions looking for coal and iron, but I managed to find my way back :lol.

33839_152902724743251_100000705742014_296036_7402569_n.jpgak

Then I thought: hey, my house looks like shit. Lets make it less shitty by placing windows, adding a moat and some sort of fortification on the roof. Also, my house is connected with that grass hill. It actually is hollow from the inside (see last pic).

33839_152902728076584_100000705742014_296037_5524932_n.jpg

Inside the house I build this rather simple stairs.

33839_152902731409917_100000705742014_296038_7965173_n.jpg

The rooftop is excellent for spotting enemies when you hear crazy noises.

33839_152902734743250_100000705742014_296039_6404652_n.jpg

This leads to one of my mining projects. I sealed the entrance just in case. Its connected to my house. I've not found anything interesting yet, but someday.

What am I going to do now?

I've build a boat. I'm gonna explore and build myself another house on an island

Verdre

Unconfirmed Member
AIRic said:
So, I started my first game in the browser at home, but when I got to the library, I logged on to see that there was no games available.

Is my game stored somewhere on my HD at home?
Can I put my saved games on USB storage to play on another computer?

Yes. If you're on Vista or 7 then the saves are located here: C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\saves

Just copy/paste between computers and you should be good

Steeven

So... I crashed my boat :lol and now I'm way off. Luckily I brought enough resources to build me this little fortress:

62327_152907968076060_100000705742014_296048_6742442_n.jpg

I'm gonna explore some more here before I build myself a new boat to find my way back.

Last night I built a badass water ride, with several big drops, to a pond near my house. There's is a nice mine I've been working on that I enter on the side of the pond. It kind of sucks that you can't break down a boat and get a boat back--just planks and sticks.

ultron87

So in my mine under my little tower I dug all the way to bedrock. So I then decided to dig a tunnel back up. Unfortunately I got a little turned around and came up in the middle of the ocean just a little bit offshore from my tower. :lol

Thankfully not that much of the mine flooded.

Rufus

ultron87 said:
So in my mine under my little tower I dug all the way to bedrock. So I then decided to dig a tunnel back up. Unfortunately I got a little turned around and came up in the middle of the ocean just a little bit offshore from my tower. :lol
I hit bedrock, then figured I'd make a hall just above and hit magma. Flooded a third of the hall. Burned up three times, too, because I was clumsily trying to get a bucket full of magma. Now I have a bucket of water with me, just in case! Thing is, I accidentally emptied it on the top level and it seeped down the shaft I dug. Had to relight it twice, because it put out all the torches...
Anyway, I haven't lost anything important to the magma, since I was at least wise enough to move into a corner before I burned to death the last two times...

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I made a server for me and my friends, that world is saved on my computer right?
If so, where can I find it to start a new one if need be?

I'm a noob to server stuff, but I got one running last night.

MechaGodzilla

Neo Member
Wow. I bought minecraft earlier this week and I logged on the touch my box server then spent a minimum of 40 minutes just walking around looking at everyones stuff that they created and it's amazing. This game is so good. Good job to everyone that has made something.
I actually logged on just to help out clear the land for the dome that someone asked for help with but I found the area and was confused on what needed to be cleared.

Firebrand

EnUlu.jpg

Robot+Chicken.

Love how the avatars turn and tilt their heads independent of their bodies, makes them expressive in a way. And slightly creepy.

Elixist

LTTP great little game. Introduced to my buddy as well and he's more addicted than I am:lol . Jump in if your curious its hooks will get in you and you won't regret picking it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom