• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefil

Alright, I was going to wait until "phase 2" was complete, but since everyone is on the subject of towers I want to share my somewhat-incomplete one. It goes from the bottom of the world (the first appearance of indestructible rocks) to the top (where it no longer lets me build).

The tower from outside:
minecraft1.png

The long climb up:
minecraft2.png

The view up top:
minecraft3.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
End of the First Day - The foundation for the Technomantic Fortress is about half laid/suspended. Even in its unfinished state, from its walls I survey the beautiful valley that I rule. Tomorrow should bring with it the completion of the foundation, the mining of more raw stone, and the beginnings of construction on either the central spire or the rings.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Errrrrggggg... maybe I'll wait for a few more versions before spending any more hours-long play sessions. After playing ALL EVENING I went to save my game and it froze up. Froze up my whole computer, in fact. Which is especially strange since I use a mac... I typically experience an entire system freeze about once year.

I about shit my pants when it happened. But when I rebooted and fired the game back up I saw that not all my progress had been lost.

In fact, I'm not exactly sure what the glitch was, but the world saved at the correct moment... I just seem to be missing things at random:

- One of my three furnaces is gone.
- About ~3-5 stacks of my cooked cobblestone is gone. Especially annoying since I spent all that ore making them.
- The little amount of gold and Red ore I had managed to acquire is gone.
- Other odds and ends... feathers, some sand, etc.

Losing all my gold and red ore and half my smooth stone sucks bigtime, but I'm still relieved. I didn't lose any of the mining or building I had done, I still have my two pig saddles, etc.

Still... might take a little time off from Minecraft as a result of this.

Kuran

Banned
Just bought this game due to this thread... and seeing the guy play on Livestream. It somehow reminds me of Ultima VII, perhaps with the crafting and the world that feels so real to me (damnit). It just feels good, building a house out of clay.

Are there zombies in the latest alpha release?

Kuran

Banned
GDJustin said:
Errrrrggggg... maybe I'll wait for a few more versions before spending any more hours-long play sessions. After playing ALL EVENING I went to save my game and it froze up. Froze up my whole computer, in fact. Which is especially strange since I use a mac... I typically experience an entire system freeze about once year.

I about shit my pants when it happened. But when I rebooted and fired the game back up I saw that not all my progress had been lost.

In fact, I'm not exactly sure what the glitch was, but the world saved at the correct moment... I just seem to be missing things at random:

- One of my three furnaces is gone.
- About ~3-5 stacks of my cooked cobblestone is gone. Especially annoying since I spent all that ore making them.
- The little amount of gold and Red ore I had managed to acquire is gone.
- Other odds and ends... feathers, some sand, etc.

Losing all my gold and red ore and half my smooth stone sucks bigtime, but I'm still relieved. I didn't lose any of the mining or building I had done, I still have my two pig saddles, etc.

Still... might take a little time off from Minecraft as a result of this.

I think you got robbed dude, did they leave your PlayStation 3 alone?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kuran said:
Just bought this game due to this thread... and seeing the guy play on Livestream. It somehow reminds me of Ultima VII, perhaps with the crafting and the world that feels so real to me (damnit). It just feels good, building a house out of clay.

Are there zombies in the latest alpha release?

Yes. Lots and lots of zombies. They come out at night, so stay in your house.

They're also in caves and dungeons everywhere.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Finally excavated a giant underground cave in my main mine. I was digging along in my tunnels when I hear moaning and running water. Followed the voice and found a intricate room of caverns branching into different paths.

Further down, I found an underground river :D

Kuran

Banned
FlyinJ said:
Yes. Lots and lots of zombies. They come out at night, so stay in your house.

They're also in caves and dungeons everywhere.

Cool!

This game inspires a need deep inside of me, to run away, or to join the ICP... I' think I am becoming mentally more unstable. The only games I seem to enjoy these days, are the ones where I venture deeper and deeper into a dungeon, by myself. Games like Wizardry, and now this.. amazing! I wonder if I will sleep tonight.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Kuran said:
Cool!

This game inspires a need deep inside of me, to run away, or to join the ICP... I' think I am becoming mentally more unstable.

I don't really follow how Minecraft would make someone want to be a Juggalo, but ok...

Kuran

Banned
FlyinJ said:
I don't really follow how Minecraft would make someone want to be a Juggalo, but ok...

I heard that they accept just about anyone! And looking at those pictures from that gathering.. looking at the downtrodden, the outcast, the social underbelly.. united by their own choice. It IS kind of similar to digging your own grave in minecraft, isnt it?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Does anyone know if changing the difficulty in the options will change it for an already created world? Or do you have to start a world at that difficulty?

Max

I am not Max
FlyinJ said:
Does anyone know if changing the difficulty in the options will change it for an already created world? Or do you have to start a world at that difficulty?
It changes for your current world

Kuran said:
More questions here... do seasons or weather change? Or will my snowy world stay snowy?
Not currently. Notch will be adding it according to his TODO list

drizzle

Axel Hertz
So I finally managed to take screenshots.

Today I spent 3 hours making the dungeon I found into a String Dispenser (there's a Monster Respawn thing that only respawn spiders, so i made a Water Trap inside it and managed to make the spiders spawn, come towards me in a waterfall and die, which yields strings! Now i have 64+ strings. Too bad there's nothing useful i can do with them.. :p).

There wasn't anything that good inside the chest. Only a saddle (which i didn't find out how to leave the pig after it was saddled, so i punched it to death thinking the saddle would pop out, but it didn't..) and 4 buckets. Too bad that while making the "string factory", some spider killed me and the game crashed immediately after I respawned, which made some of myu progress and all my items to vanish. Oh well.

Anyway, i decided to go down and take a screenshot of the obsidian floor i found. In a part of the massive cave below my house, i found this amusing scenario:

fypkr7.jpg

But what happens if you look left?

11id0g3.jpg

Obsidian everywhere! There's a one block patch of Lava and lots of Water on the side, so i guess they met in the middle and created obsidian? I though it was mega weird, since obsidian is not supposed to happen naturally.. Oh well, it was a nice sight.

There's a shitload of Red Ore and a little gold on another area of the cave. I'll go there tomorrow, most likely.

Ferrio

Banned
drizzle said:
I though it was mega weird, since obsidian is not supposed to happen naturally.. Oh well, it was a nice sight.

No it happens naturally. I think a lot of people get the names of the versions mixed up, so it causes confusion on what is in the game and what isn't.

Cday

Banned
Just minding my own business, building a mineshaft for a deep mine I was gonna make and all the sudden from behind me SSSSSSSSSS. Fuck. I must have hit an underground cavern and not known it. I'm going to go find out, it's a 5 minute boat ride from the spawn.

Edit: Yep, and one of those fuckers was camping on my mine entrance when I arrived too.

GDJustin

Ferrio said:
No it happens naturally. I think a lot of people get the names of the versions mixed up, so it causes confusion on what is in the game and what isn't.

I agree. Notch and the Minecraft wiki certainly don't help out in this regard.

There is only ONE version of Minecraft still being developed (Alpha) - that is the only one people should care about. The other three need to be renamed again to "older demo versions" or something.

MNC

Is there any place with infinite water source? I could only grab the source of a waterfall, and it doesn't fill up my little pond completely.

Cday

Banned
You can create an infinite water source by digging a 2x2x2 hole and pouring water into a corner and then again into the opposite corner. If your pond isn't filling up you have to dig into the parts that aren't filling and the water will pour in.

My underwater glass dome is shaping up. It looks great so far but I want to make it even bigger.

My underwater glass dome from the top of my tower
002.jpg

The tower from inside the dome
001.jpg

Is there a limit how deep the sun can pass through glass? Let's say I dig down to the end of the level and only use glass floors, can I see the light down there then? :D

Blizzard said:
Well now I have to tear myself away. Thanks for all the help and input -- certainly worth $13 in my opinion even though I already liked the free building mode. It seems like such a simple, silly game, and yet when you're locked in your dark mud hut, and you get the bacon cooking to provide your only real light, it's very satisfying. :D

Next up: A complicated scheme wherein our hero places a LADDER up the obnoxious cliff face so it's easier to come back from the bottom. Maybe I should save the ladders for mines, but eh. I assume zombies/creepers can climb ladders?
Yep.

Ladders leading to my house have a cobblestone enclosure at the bottom with a door (which they cannot open).
EDIT: should have reloaded the page first :lol

Meh, reckoned it proper so +1 sale to Minecraft's future.

Dunno when I'll get around to puttering around in it, saw a decent LP for an older version on Youtube. :lol

filipe

solonely.png

How I feel while waiting patiently for MP.

NeoGaf, I propose a Gaf private server when multiplayer is finally implemented into Survival. Keeping it private ensures that no one can just come in and start messing with our works. We can keep the member list neat and organized, only accepting members from Gaf.

Blizzard

Banned
I'm sorry to hear about the crashes people are having. I think I've only had mine crash when I try to take screenshots with Fraps...is there an easier way to do it besides alt-printscreen and pasting into irfanview? (that way numbers the screenshots at least)

I guess the game doesn't have any kind of crashdump, but it might be worth noting if you are getting near the memory limit, or if there's anything in common so you can submit bug reports. I try to regularly use the save option to go back to the main menu, and assuming it saves your world and inventory, that might be a good idea too.

(I've also backed up my entire world just in case something crazy happens)

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
filipe said:
NeoGaf, I propose a Gaf private server when multiplayer is finally implemented into Survival. Keeping it private ensures that no one can just come in and start messing with our works. We can keep the member list neat and organized, only accepting members from Gaf.
I'm down with that.

Also, I'm incredibly frustrated at my laptops lack of printscrn button. The alternate commands I looked up don't seem to work either, or even using a utility to remap my keys. (I assume in Windows 7 a print-scrn goes automatically to the clipboard and can be pasted into paint, right?)

EDIT: Argh, I really need to unpin ProEngineer from my taskbar for a while. I keep accidentally hitting it when switching between MC and Firefox >_<

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
filipe said:

I'm down with this, was going to suggest it myself.

Also, i just noticed the screenshot of my lava mountain house is in the OP :D

filipe

The_Technomancer said:
I'm down with that.

Also, I'm incredibly frustrated at my laptops lack of printscrn button. The alternate commands I looked up don't seem to work either, or even using a utility to remap my keys. (I assume in Windows 7 a print-scrn goes automatically to the clipboard and can be pasted into paint, right?)

EDIT: Argh, I really need to unpin ProEngineer from my taskbar for a while. I keep accidentally hitting it when switching between MC and Firefox >_<

Using Windows 7, you could use the Snipping tool. I find it better than doing a print screen as you only select the area you want to print and then it saves it right there and then.

Razorskin

----- ------
filipe said:
How I feel while waiting patiently for MP.

We're going to need someone to host it, and I'm not the one that's going to since I live canada where the bandwidth sucks.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
filipe said:
Totally up for it.

I bought the game last night after dinner and started tooling around. Next thing I know it's 1am. :\

I was fortunate enough to find a really small cave during my first night, and now I'm turning it into a Hobbit hole. The plan is to build a skull on the side of the hill overlooking the plains.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Razorskin said:
We're going to need someone to host it, and I'm not the one that's going to since I live canada where the bandwidth sucks.
I have a machine in the Netherlands, in which i could run a server, as long as it's *nix compatible. But that wouldn't be as good as a server in the US.

Blizzard

Banned
Eaten By A Grue said:
Goddamn you guys, I read through the entire thread today and am now going to purchase this when I get home.
"It is now pitch black. You are likely to be exploded by a creeper."

GDJustin

I think a GAF private server is a given. The last couple days I've been thinking not about what we should actually construct, but how things should be organized, to ensure it isn't just chaos. It's not easy to keep people organized when they are all running around semi-autonomously! I can't help it dreaming up how to keep things settled... it's the project manager in me :lol

Anyway I decided the answer is two-fold:

1) Lots and lots of sign boards
2) Lots and lots of storage.

Then, at the end of each play session, every player would be asked to to put things pack in their proper place. Yes it takes a few minutes, but if every player doesn't make an effort, it will be a fulltime job for someone just to put things back.

Here's what I'm thinking:

- Two groups of large chests, each set up in a "U" semi-circle. One for raw materials, one for tools & everything else. So cobblestone, cooked stone, dirt, sand, glass, wood iron, coal, cloth etc each get their own dedicated large chest. More than one as necessary.

- Then the other "U" semicircle - a chest for plants, a chest for digging tools, a chest for all other tools, armor, furniture, and then the truly misc. stuff like saddles.

Then everything is labeled with a signboard.

I was also thinking of maybe having a large chest or two set up as a "to process" box. In theory, nothing that ISN'T in that box should be crafted. So the sand in its storage container would be left alone, but if its put in the processing center with some ore, then if someone spots it they can toss it into a furnace.

People could place "orders" at the process center somehow. Most likely by making signboards, which would be placed sequentially so we know what order to craft/cook things. Obviously this can be done via in-game chat, but my consideration is that most of the time we won't be online at the same time. So I can sign on by myself or almost by myself, and see there are signboards to cook 200 sand and craft 200 more torches.

It would also be nice to have a similar orders/inbox system for raw materials. So there's a central place where we can leave a note saying we need more raw stone, or sand, or wood. I have a feeling we're going to be out of wood and ore pretty much at all times.

So yeah... you guys can have the cool task of dreaming up badass things to build. I'll just run around making sign boards and drafting materials lists... same as I do all day long at my real job :lol :lol :lol

filipe

Razorskin said:

I can privately host it at home on my computer. I never turn it off, and I have unlimited bandwidth. I'm also from Canada... so... yeaaaaaah.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
So down for a GAF server. We could all band together and make a city without fear of griefers :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom