• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

depths20XX

shadowcomplex said:
Can there ever be somesort of glider in minecraft?

I know it may sound like a stupid idea but I am just wondering if it's possible.

Actually I think that would be awesome. Another use for cloth/wool also.

shadowcomplex said:
Can there ever be somesort of glider in minecraft?

I know it may sound like a stupid idea but I am just wondering if it's possible.

I wish notch would add in a machine shop. You could build vehicles but they would take a massive amount of resources, and need to be repaired. But I would kill for a paver for some of my projects. Just load it up with a bunch of cobblestone in a hopper and drive and it would lay them two blocks wide. Could also make other vehicles like an APC that you could drive around in that would act as a sort of tank. There's so many cool possibilities to dream up in this game.

Wow, I just found a system of caves that forked in 4 directions and I could explore it for like an hour or so, then I had to go back to my castle because I only had one Hearth left and I mined soooo much... If I had died I would have raged :D

Man, I just had a terrifying mining session at the pond near my house. I found some crazy formations underground, along with diamonds and gold (for the first time!). I was deep into this underground formation, probably a solid three minute walk back to the entrance, if it was easily navigable. Yeah, that's the problem. It wasn't. And there were skeleton archers and zombies everywhere.

Archers were firing at me from unseen places and I was getting swarmed by zombies, so I died. Now I just needed to make it back down, grab my shit, and get the fuck out. I made it back to my stuff and the enemies were gone, thankfully. I snatched up my things and began to find a way out, which wasn't easy. A few battles with archers and zombies go by and I'm at 1.5 hearts and 2 armor. By a miracle I finally find the path I had been looking for the entire time, even though I swear I passed by it at least a dozen times in trying to escape. This path leads to another, and to another, and to another and I finally make it back alongside my pond and get my supplies back home. It's so fucking easy to get lost in these formations. I need to make a torch chain that follows only the path I'm going on for that expedition and take the others down.

And I almost shit my pants on several occasions when that asshole music kicks in, and when you turn around and hear the exploding phallus moaning right behind you. You're as good as dead.

AbortedWalrusFetus said:
I wish notch would add in a machine shop. You could build vehicles but they would take a massive amount of resources, and need to be repaired. But I would kill for a paver for some of my projects. Just load it up with a bunch of cobblestone in a hopper and drive and it would lay them two blocks wide. Could also make other vehicles like an APC that you could drive around in that would act as a sort of tank. There's so many cool possibilities to dream up in this game.
What does a minecart and track do? I could build a track deep into a formation, load up minerals into a cart, and click it to send it back to the other end of the track? Last night I got around to learning about the liquids and boat travel. Pretty much the only things I'm not sure about right now are redstones and minecarts.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Firebrand said:
A great idea. E-mail Notch :)
i would. But I am to afraid that it wouldn't work due to, god knows what.

But thanks for the compliment. :lol :D

edit:

if any wants to e-mail and take all the credit. DO IT. I just want the game to Better (if that's even possible :lol ).

Edit2: gratz zinga. I have yet to go online with minecraft even though it sounds like a really good time.

I don't know about a glider but I was under the impression Notch wants to add a way to fly for fast travel.

shadowcomplex said:
i would. But I am to afraid that it wouldn't work due to, god knows what.

But thanks for the compliment. :lol :D

edit:

if any wants to e-mail and take all the credit. DO IT. I just want the game to Better (if that's even possible :lol ).

Edit2: gratz zinga. I have yet to go online with minecraft even though it sounds like a really good time.

Check out touchmybox's server. we're having a good time despite some non NeoGAF trolls who have shown up.

Haunted

I don't quite understand how the armour system works in this game. I can craft 4 pieces of armour which fill up my armour bar at the bottom. Since all materials fill this bar, I guess they're differentiated by how long they're going to last?

Can I repair armour or do I have to wait until it's done and craft new pieces to refill my bar?

Vlad

goldsoundz said:
What does a minecart and track do? I could build a track deep into a formation, load up minerals into a cart, and click it to send it back to the other end of the track? Last night I got around to learning about the liquids and boat travel. Pretty much the only things I'm not sure about right now are redstones and minecarts.

Unfortunately, minecarts don't work that way. A minecart acts similar to how a real one would act. The regular minecart doesn't have a motor or anything, so it'll roll downhill just fine, but won't go uphill without assistance. There's a powered minecart that you can make (craft a furnace and minecart together) that will supposedly push carts around, but you have to fuel it and from what I've heard (never made one myself) they're not exactly fast.

However, you can exploit a glitch in how minecarts interact with each other by using boosters. There's a good tutorial for them available on Youtube:

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPls6LXlkGI
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ayhg-yizLUI
Part 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v5cAFYouWY

The second and third parts of those also cover redstone.

Oh, and by the way, stock up on iron if you're planning on doing any large-scale minecart tracks. You might think that 16 track sections for every 6 pieces of iron is a lot, but you'll be surprised at how fast you burn through it.

I don't quite understand how the armour system works in this game. I can craft 4 pieces of armour which fill up my armour bar at the bottom. Since all materials fill this bar, I guess they're differentiated by how long they're going to last?

Can I repair armour or do I have to wait until it's done and craft new pieces to refill my bar?

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Armor

vermadas

I wonder if Notch will ever patch out the boosters. It's why I'm hesitant to build a track with them. Right now I just use gravity; all of my tracks start out really high up in the sky. I do hope Notch will eventually remove the speed cap though.

Acosta

I can't take so much awesomeness...

What happens when Dwarf Fortress and Minecraft merges together...

eZx1u.jpg

NrnH5.jpg

Probably discussed already, but man, I just found this today and my mind just melted. If both games merged together I don't think I would need to play anything else in my life.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
vermadas said:
I wonder if Notch will ever patch out the boosters. It's why I'm hesitant to build a track with them. Right now I just use gravity; all of my tracks start out really high up in the sky. I do hope Notch will eventually remove the speed cap though.
Yeah, if he ever patches out Boosters I'm screwed :lol I've got a network through my underground mining complex, and a series of spiraling ramps between my three main levels (bedrock, ground, cliff-face castle)

I hate invincible chickens and pigs in SMP. I really hope that's fixed soon. It's a pain when they get in my buildings and the only way to get rid of them is trapping them in holes and covering them up.

Myomoto

VGChampion said:
I hate invincible chickens and pigs in SMP. I really hope that's fixed soon. It's a pain when they get in my buildings and the only way to get rid of them is trapping them in holes and covering them up.

Don't they die to fire still? Just put them in holes and burn them :lol

Vinci

Danish
VGChampion said:

This almost makes me want to play SMP. :lol

Blizzard

Banned
funkmastergeneral said:
Why bother working on the game when you've already made 2 million dollars?

Sigh...
I think he fired up Eclipse yesterday but presumably didn't do much.

Notch said:
Re friday update: I'm skipping it this week. Server troubles resulted in not enough sleep, not enough coding happiness.

# @Rogue_Yoghurt @indiegamescom I'm working quite a lot! It's unfortunately not much development these days until the new office is up.

Oh, and I think Notch said on Twitter or somewhere that he was going to make something that flies that you can ride (an animal if I recall correctly?), but he may change his mind or forget some stuff so who knows.

Quixzlizx

VGChampion said:

Animals eventually despawn. At least they do in single player. I actually tried to set up a nature room in my mountain fortress that's completely covered in grass, but the animals that spawn there eventually disappear :lol

funkmastergeneral said:
Guess the IP should've only been visible in the online forum :(

Eh, the amount of destruction so far has been extremely minimal.

The IP will be changing soon, so I guess I'll post that both in the online forum and here as a Quote to reveal sort of dealio.

Of course the few lurkers who have been particularly active will be welcome as always.

Yaweee

So what is the difference between Friday and Saturday updates? Do those just tend to be the only days that he releases major changes?

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
So what is the difference between Friday and Saturday updates? Do those just tend to be the only days that he releases major changes?
Update every Friday (usually).

Last week was Saturday only because he didn't finish on time.

This week, I guess there's nothing.

roman2k

Since the last update my character is constantly walking or jumping even if I'm not pressing any keys. If I pause the game and go back it's fine at first but after a few seconds I've got the same problem. Happens in every level. And I've already downloaded the newest Minecraft.exe. Any ideas?

EDIT: My keyboard is fine, too.

Blackface

Banned
I keep hearing so much about this game so I have questions.

1. How does playing with someone else work? When I first heard of this game I thought it was an MMO, but I guess it isn't.

2. How does currency work in the game? Am I going to have to buy a bunch of shit to start building/mining cool stuff?

3. Anything else you want to let a potential new player know about.

Ferrio

Banned
Blackface said:

1. How does playing with someone else work? When I first heard of this game I thought it was an MMO, but I guess it isn't.

Join a server.... mine

2. How does currency work in the game? Am I going to have to buy a bunch of shit to start building/mining cool stuff?

Currency? What's that?

Find coal quickly or it will be a lonely (well there will be something to keep you company) first night.

So my friend and I have been playing in a snow world since we've never been in one before but now we're sort of getting tired of it but don't want to lose everything. I'm guessing there's no way to turn off the snow? And also, is everything still in our world? We haven't seen any reeds whatsoever in weeks.

Blackface said:

You can either download a file to create your own server and then give your IP to friends or you can go to the Minecraft site I believe and find servers to play in. Default is single player. Whenever you see someone mentioning SMP, they're talking about the Multiplayer.

No currency in the game so far. You start off by punching down a tree for wood and then you create wood planks, which can be converted into sticks. You then find coal to create torches.

Use this so you know what to build. http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Crafting

kodt

Banned
Darknessbear said:
Can someone explain the Dwarven Fortress? I read the thread, but still have no idea what it is...

Dwarf Fortress is a different game altogether. It is an ASCII art game, someone made a utility to convert your DF map into a Minecraft map.

FrancisH

Just started to try Dwarf Fortress after seeing it mentioned in this thread, it's different, but I can't wait until I have finished a few tutorials to get to grips with the game.

Anyway, I've finished the front of the castle today. Not too happy with the doors in the middle, looks weird if you ask me. Starting to add a roof now and trying to flatten a small hill for the stone I need to finish it :lol

I also got my first two diamond pickaxes today! :D

6y3J

Yaweee

Darknessbear said:
Can someone explain the Dwarven Fortress? I read the thread, but still have no idea what it is...

Basically, it is an incredibly deep sandbox sim game where you only indirectly control a civilization of Dwarves. The creator made it in ASCII, but there are many installs out there that use a sprite art tile set, and there are also isometric viewers that show a more elaborate representation in a side window. Like Minecraft, the world is fully-3D block based and buildable/destructable. You designate areas to be mined, areas to store different kinds of items, workshops, areas to place walls, etc, and any dwarves that have been assigned the corresponding job will spend some of their time fulfilling those orders. The underlying mechanics are phenomenally deep, with tons and tons of stats, hit regions, and random events filling the game.

Blackface said:

No currency, only crafting.

Basically:
1) Punch tries, get tree trunks
2) Tree trunks craft into 4 wood blocks
3) 2 Wood blocks craft into 4 wood sticks
4) 4 Wood blocks make a workbench
5) Sticks with wood blocks at the end can make various tools, like axes, shovels, hoes, pickaxes, and swords.
6) Use the correct equipment on different blocks, get more supplies.
7) Use said supplies to make more advanced tools.
8) Use any dirt or stone that you mine to build your home.
and on and on and on and on. The random world generation is really damn good, but the difficulties are fucked at the moment (Hard spawns far fewer enemies than the lower difficulties, which is wrong even if those enemies deal more damage. I want my cave exploration to be dangerous!)

Milpool

Tryckser said:
Wow, I just found a system of caves that forked in 4 directions and I could explore it for like an hour or so, then I had to go back to my castle because I only had one Hearth left and I mined soooo much... If I had died I would have raged :D

Same thing happened to me last night just I was annoyed of not finding anything in days. I was digging a mine and after going up and down it a few times I noticed music playing in the same spot so I started digging around and stumbled upon a huge cave full of coal, iron, gold and diamond. Music started playing again in the cave on a patch of dirt so I dug down and there's an even bigger cave system with flowing water and lava, but it's also full of zombies and skeletons.

Notch once again bullshits us out of a friday update. I spose he deserve the rest this time around though, what with the server overload and whatnot.
Anyways, heres a cool pic.
q0E5f.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom