• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Yep, it's down again. Temporarily disabling your network connection should let you play offline without waiting 5 minutes (or whatever it is) for the timeout that lets you play offline mode.

*edit* The website reloaded once for me, then froze again. I don't know what's going on with it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Is amd athlon 64 processor 3200+, 2ghz, 1gb of RAM, too shit to play this game?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
TouchMyBox said:
Looks like minecraft.net is messed up again? :\

I was having a lovely time too in the server too until windows update thought it would be a ridiculously awesome idea to restart the computer by itself on my server's new box. :lol

Figures. Just as I get back home from work. =/

Evlar

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Is amd athlon 64 processor 3200+, 2ghz, 1gb of RAM, too shit to play this game?
I got the free version running with an athlon 64 3500+ and 2gigs of RAM, worked fine. You do need a video card that supports OpenGL (which most do). Onboard memory is reportedly a possible choke point; if it's struggling the problem is probably RAM.

Doesn't run for me in Chrome, though. Freezes up every three seconds.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has anybody been burying shit in my graveyard on TouchMyBox' server?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Vlad said:
The other nice thing is that since I'm making it out of obsidian, the construction is going so slowly that I have plenty of time to think about what to do inside it.
Are you making it the slow boring way (by finding obsidian, mining it with diamond and hauling the blocks upside) or the much more awesome way (and maybe even slower) of creating a mold filled with water and pouring lava buckets in it? :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Thanks for getting that area cleared tonight guys. I never would have guessed that it would have been done this early!

Anyway, we got the shell walls up tonight too. The next step will be the glass dome, and then the interior. We'll probably use normal cobblestone for the bulk of the inside but use refined cobblestone and half-steps for detailing.

Blizzard

Banned
commissar said:
The Digital Rights Management built into the game has failed because the activation server has gone down so I can't play multiplayer with my friends.
Isn't it more like, minecraft.net went down, so multiplayer servers couldn't verify if people were legitimate key-bearing users to play online?

I guess verifying keys to play online is DRM, but it's been used since the ages of yore and CD keys and so forth. And how are you going to verify logins without having a login server? :/ At any rate, Notch said the minecraft.net server ran out of memory and there's debugging to do.

fresquito

Sword Familiar said:
Stairs are a bitch to align properly. Is there any way to control the direction of the blocks?
I control them by putting blocks beside.

o = block
x = stairs

From above:

oxxxo
oxxxo
oxxxo
oxxxo
oxxxo

On unraleted news, I've finally found a lot of clay and been able to finish the walls of my house. It looks awesome, all full of bricks :D

Now I'm planning on doing a big ceiling window that's on the sea. It will iluminate a deep cave, and look cool in the middle of the ocean :D (well, not the middle, but still).

Haunted

Sword Familiar said:
Stairs are a bitch to align properly. Is there any way to control the direction of the blocks?
They'll always orient themselves towards the nearest wall.

fresquito's got you covered.

Sword Familiar

178% of NeoGAF posters don't understand statistics
fresquito said:
I control them by putting blocks beside.

o = block
x = stairs

From above:

oxxxo
oxxxo
oxxxo
oxxxo
oxxxo

Thanks, I'll try that!

Haunted said:
They'll always orient themselves towards the nearest wall.

I wish you could control it manually :(

Haunted

Sword Familiar said:
Thanks, I'll try that!

I wish you could control it manually :(
Selecting orientation...that's actually not a bad idea for a future patch. :D That would indeed be the easiest solution.

One thing to try when you built one and it's the wrong direction for some reason (while adjacent to another block) is to destroy that adjacent block. The stairs will often re-orient themselves correctly, and you just lose some stone or whatever (1 block) instead of the more resource intensive stairs.

Damn.

I just spent a good 4 hours or so inside this massive cave network. I found my first gold, my first redstone, and my first diamonds. I also created a bunch of obsidian blocks when I accidentally diverted a river into lava, but I couldn't figure out how to harvest the ore without it just falling into the lava below. I made 3 (or was it 4?) "camps" in the cave with a workbench, furnace, and chest: one just inside the entrance, one at the very bottom by the lava, and one or two partway down. I ran into a lot of monsters in the bottom area, and although I killed most of them, an archer and a zombie managed to finish me off. Fortunately, all the valuable ores and even the diamond pickaxe are safely inside chests. The most valuable things I dropped were my iron armor and the bow and arrows. Everything but the arrows is easy to replace, so I don't think I'm even going to try running down there to retrieve that stuff.

Ah, fuck it. I'll try once. Anyone know what the despawn time is on those items?

Aight, this is what I could quickly scrounge up for a dash to the bottom of that cave.

1 stone sword
1 iron pickaxe
6 stone pickaxes
stack of wood
half-stack of sticks
stack of torches
stack of cobblestone
6 roasted pork

Wish me luck GAF!

I actually made it back down pretty quick, and got revenge on that archer. But I think my stuff is gone. No biggie.

Edit: I suppose when I have the time and resources, I should make an "emergency kit" and keep it in a chest near where I respawn, so I can quickly load up and try to get my items back next time I die. Full set of armor, some weapons and tools, food, torches, that sort of thing.

Also, in the future I'll remember to leave some arrows at home.

Baconmonk

Parallax Scroll said:
Damn.

I just spent a good 4 hours or so inside this massive cave network. I found my first gold, my first redstone, and my first diamonds. I also created a bunch of obsidian blocks when I accidentally diverted a river into lava, but I couldn't figure out how to harvest the ore without it just falling into the lava below. I made 3 (or was it 4?) "camps" in the cave with a workbench, furnace, and chest: one just inside the entrance, one at the very bottom by the lava, and one or two partway down. I ran into a lot of monsters in the bottom area, and although I killed most of them, an archer and a zombie managed to finish me off. Fortunately, all the valuable ores and even the diamond pickaxe are safely inside chests. The most valuable things I dropped were my iron armor and the bow and arrows. Everything but the arrows is easy to replace, so I don't think I'm even going to try running down there to retrieve that stuff.

Ah, fuck it. I'll try once. Anyone know what the despawn time is on those items?
I had a very similar experience as you last night. I spent a good 3 hours (couple short movies worth of time at least) mining inside a new awesome mountain I found, got some diamonds, gold, couple stacks of iron ore, even a few stacks of the red compass stuff.

Then I decided to get into a fight with some lava near a giant area of bedrock I stumbled on. Needless to say, the lava won. I assume items are destroyed in lava, I went back into the catacombs and searched all over where I died, even filling in the pool of lava I died in, but not a single piece of ore survived.

I guess the moral is to make "camps" with boxes for the important stuff just in case you go skinny-dipping in a some hot molten spa of lava.

Rufus

First time didn't teach you to be careful, huh? I managed to set myself on fire three times in a row... Now I bring a bucket of water with me every time I explore caves.

L00P said:
The game has simplistic graphics, but it still makes me jump on my seat sometimes:lol
Fucking creepers, man... Having a bow makes them a lot less scary though. And fuck skeletons, too, while we're at it. Got killed by one three times in a row. Couldn't plug the hole they were coming from quick enough. I managed to kill them and retrieve my stuff eventually. It could have easily fallen into magma, too, but I was lucky there.

funkmastergeneral said:
Yea but they don't do anything
Actually, they still blow up and leave craters (although no damage to you). I was building a large castle on a server and creepers kept on harassing me and creating holes at night.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Parallax Scroll said:
I actually made it back down pretty quick, and got revenge on that archer. But I think my stuff is gone. No biggie.

Edit: I suppose when I have the time and resources, I should make an "emergency kit" and keep it in a chest near where I respawn, so I can quickly load up and try to get my items back next time I die. Full set of armor, some weapons and tools, food, torches, that sort of thing.

Also, in the future I'll remember to leave some arrows at home.
Items disappear after, like, 5 or 10 minutes or something. However, if you lost them far enough, they will simply disappear. I don't know what's the distance threshold.

Whenever I lose something, I'll respawn and fly there as fast as possible. If I die again, no problem, I didn't lose anything. And all my shit will be gone the next time I get there.

If i sit around and gather resources to get all my stuff back, I'll have wasted too much time and the items won't be there anymore... So...

Vanpira

randomwab said:
Just lost about five hours of resources. Again. Fuck.

Take wood with you and make chests. Put the chests by the ore then dig it out and stick the ore in the chest. Leave a trail of torches and wood pillars to lead you back to the chest. Create a sign that tells you what the pillars lead you to. Stick more chests at every opening and fork of the caves. Put wood, stone, coal, dirt and iron in them so you are prepared for whatever is in the cave. Make sure you have a work block to build your tools and chests. Build farms and carry seeds for long trips, to make more farms inside the cave. Two buckets of water gets you as much as you want, so you can bring them with you and not have to make trips outside or find a spring to get water. Again always make sure you have wood, take a full stack a logs with you and put a full stack of logs in every chest. Use wood every where you can in caves, if you run out of any tool, you can replace it with wood. Wood can save your life, but if fails it will still keep your stuff safe, as long as you have it in a chest.

I think that covers that. Chests chests chests, you'll never lose anything as long as you have chests. They are like the bank in Dragon Quest, if you use them you can't lose, they're the best.

Twig

Banned
Blast Processing said:
minecraft.net appears to be down again, and my client is crashing when I try to launch the game.

edit: And no sooner do I post than both are working!
Yeah Notch has been twattin' about it. He's working on it, as always. U:

Wrekt

A guy on my server decided to make a giant pedobear. He decided to build it on a hill for some reason and ran out of space so we decided to light it up. I've never found anything pedobear related even remotely entertaining so it was quite a treat to set a giant one on fire. Anyway, we remembered to fraps it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rk8C3uxSzw

Wrekt said:
A guy on my server decided to make a giant pedobear. He decided to build it on a hill for some reason and ran out of space so we decided to light it up. I've never found anything pedobear related even remotely entertaining so it was quite a treat to set a giant one on fire. Anyway, we remembered to fraps it:

I've always disliked these giant pieces of art. They seem to require absolutely zero creativity, just copy and pasting someone elses work into minecraft.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
funkmastergeneral said:
I've always disliked these giant pieces of art. They seem to require absolutely zero creativity, just copy and pasting someone elses work into minecraft.

How dare other people have fun in games

Zomba13

Wrekt said:

Fair enough as it was your server but still a shame for that guys efforts to be burned. I mean yeah it is just copy and pasting a sprite or whatever and not creating something original but he still had to get the blocks and place them.

Wrekt

Zomba13 said:
Fair enough as it was your server but still a shame for that guys efforts to be burned. I mean yeah it is just copy and pasting a sprite or whatever and not creating something original but he still had to get the blocks and place them.
It was his idea. He was the one that tried to start it but I have Flint turned off for guests and haven't gotten a chance to adjust his server permissions yet.

I would never destroy someone's work without their permission.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
You can't fight monsters in multiplayer? That would be awesome, like some sort of Actraiser Online!

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Ether_Snake said:
You can't fight monsters in multiplayer? That would be awesome, like some sort of Actraiser Online!

You can spawn them, but currently everything online cannot be harmed. So really the only way to kill anything is to catch it on fire.

Speaking of fire, I was checking out this one map someone made. I saw a chicken and tried to light it on fire with the flint and didn't realize it was so close to a tree... It was shortly after that, that I realized I was at the start of a forest. The entire forest burned down. It was massive and it all caught on fire with one spark. Jeesh. I was on the server for like 45 minutes, and it took the fire 30 minutes to finally finish burning down that forest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom