• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So what do people do in multiplayer? It's not like the free multiplayer right? Cause I have infinite supply there, no animals or monsters, no night, etc.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
Ether_Snake said:
So what do people do in multiplayer? It's not like the free multiplayer right? Cause I have infinite supply there, no animals or monsters, no night, etc.

It's the same as the single player, only you can't die.

So uh, it's not as awesome. But it will be as soon as he fixes that issue.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But the free multiplayer is different right? Cause this one is sort of boring.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
So I rolled a new world.

This is my spawn.
Hg8Fr.png

Brashnir

The_Technomancer said:
So I rolled a new world.

This is my spawn.

Once you get yourself a staircase dug topside, that's actually a pretty awesome spawn point. put a roof over it and you respawn in a safe spot when you die.

Vanpira said:
Take wood with you and make chests. Put the chests by the ore then dig it out and stick the ore in the chest. Leave a trail of torches and wood pillars to lead you back to the chest. Create a sign that tells you what the pillars lead you to. Stick more chests at every opening and fork of the caves. Put wood, stone, coal, dirt and iron in them so you are prepared for whatever is in the cave. Make sure you have a work block to build your tools and chests. Build farms and carry seeds for long trips, to make more farms inside the cave. Two buckets of water gets you as much as you want, so you can bring them with you and not have to make trips outside or find a spring to get water. Again always make sure you have wood, take a full stack a logs with you and put a full stack of logs in every chest. Use wood every where you can in caves, if you run out of any tool, you can replace it with wood. Wood can save your life, but if fails it will still keep your stuff safe, as long as you have it in a chest.

I think that covers that. Chests chests chests, you'll never lose anything as long as you have chests. They are like the bank in Dragon Quest, if you use them you can't lose, they're the best.
I do a less extreme version of that. But can't creepers still blow up chests?

LOL, there was the big tree blocking line of sight from my old fort to the new larger castle I'm building on top of a hill, so I cleared it out today. It literally took ALL DAY, sunrise to sunset, to destroy that one tree. :lol

And four sheep spawned inside my new castle while I was gone. :lol

Brashnir

Parallax Scroll said:
LOL, there was the big tree blocking line of sight from my old fort to the new larger castle I'm building on top of a hill, so I cleared it out today. It literally took ALL DAY, sunrise to sunset, to destroy that one tree. :lol

:lol Sometimes Minecraft feels like OCD: The Game.

I started a new world on my laptop, and I have yet to find a single block of coal. I'm something like 15 days in now, and have excavated a pretty huge area of rock, and still have seen no signs of coal.

It's pretty much perma-dark in the areas I'm mining now. I can barely see to chip away at the rock. I turn around to go up to my workbench to make new tools when I run out of usable picks. There's a door up there. Sometimes it's light outside, sometimes it's dark. Either way, it makes no difference in the areas I'm actively mining.

I've been going at this so long I feel like I'm sort of committed to sticking it out. I figure eventually I'll either finally find coal or my mine will be so big that creepers will start spawning inside. If that happens, I guess I'll finally have to give up and roll up a new world.

Edit - holy shit, right after typing this post, I set back into my mine after making a topside run to replenish my wood supplies (after going through about 100 stone picks) and lo and behold, PAYDIRT. I finally found a small concentration of coal and managed to make myself some torches. I have to shut it down for now, but I'll try and take some pictures when I get home to post so you guys can see just how far I had to go to finally find some coal. Just to illustrate a little bit, I had a double-chest completely full of stacks of 64 Stone, plus I built a stone house outside the mine as a landmark so I could find it.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Parallax Scroll said:

And four sheep spawned inside my new castle while I was gone. :lol

Knock out wood.

Pull out flint and steel.

BURN LEAVES! BUUUURN!

Brashnir

As promised, pics of just how far I had to mine to finally find my first coal in this new game.

I did a tiny bit more digging after my find. I cleared the level where I found the coal to make it flush. I also did a little OCD cleanup while placing torches (and also cleared out under the stairs, though you can't see that very well in the pics)

If you're wondering why there's two staircases, one leads up to my workbench, and the other to the front door. Since I built everything in the dark, I kept things as simple as possible so I could navigate.

15x9u3b.jpg

v8efep.jpg

Brashnir

edgefusion said:
Are you running into decent supplies of coal now? In my game there is absolutely zero clay so I can't build a brick house. :(

I got enough to start actually making stuff.

I don't think I've seen any clay yet in either of my games.

MNC

FUCK YOU CREEPER FUCK YOU

This is standard minecraft fare and it happens SO MUCH but I FINALLY FOUND A CAVE AND YOU FUCK IT UP AUGH. Is there a possibility to noclip back to my shit? I REALLY want it back.

This incredible game is consuming my weekend.

Spent hours yeterday making a fenced-of stone road across an entire ocean to grounds new, and using lava suspended-in-sealed-glass as a cool new light source.

I still feel the thrill of exploration. I can't wait for further updates and to see where this goes.

EDIT

Also, when I first started playing there was no sound, so I assumed the game was silent. I put some of the Metroid Prime environmental music on Winamp to give a little atmosphere, worked amazingly!

Now the real music started, I find I'm still using a custom soundtrack.

edgefusion

r1chard said:
Clay's been rare in all of my games...

Oh really? I rolled a new world one time for the hell of it and had ridiculous amounts of clay, I just assumed that's how it was for everyone else. Guess not!

Rufus

Mama Robotnik said:
EDIT

Also, when I first started playing there was no sound, so I assumed the game was silent. I put some of the Metroid Prime environmental music on Winamp to give a little atmosphere, worked amazingly!

Now the real music started, I find I'm still using a custom soundtrack.
I couldn't play this without sounds. It can be annoying to hear a zombie moaning through a wall, especially if you can't find the bastard, but it's invaluable otherwise. Not being able to hear the creepers hiss before they blow would be terrifying.

r1chard

Excellent, I finally finished the mega-skylight down from sea level to my new base - about 10 from the very bottom. Shaft down is about 10x15 or so and will get bigger over time. Started digging it before I read something that said trees can grow by torchlight. They weren't growing, so I figured they needed natural light. So I've given them some (and now they're growing... :)

Am now strip-mining under the floor of the base to find all the good minerals, avoiding going too deep past the bedrock ...

edgefusion said:
Oh really? I rolled a new world one time for the hell of it and had ridiculous amounts of clay, I just assumed that's how it was for everyone else. Guess not!
No! I found out about the existence of clay and bricks with the smp because you had to spawn everything earlier.
And it's also the first time I saw clay on the smp server. And this is after rolling around 10 worlds already :lol

But the same can be said for slimes lately. I saw a handful of them last week in a cave but before this I saw none for weeks :( I like the slimes, though.

fresquito

My world has clay. Wehn I first started playing, I found some, then decided to make a brick house. Later on I discovered it was a daunting task. But just recently I found a lot of clay cubes lying around in a small island near the mountain where my house lies. The thing is, sometimes there're things you may think they aren't there, but it's just bad luck you didn't find.

Firebrand

Mudkips said:
Let's see if any of you can find this over on TouchMyBox's server!

That's funny because there already is a hidden "It's A Secret To Everybody" room on that server. :lol Though not with the gigantic awesome picture.

Mudkips

Banned
Firebrand said:
That's funny because there already is a hidden "It's A Secret To Everybody" room on that server. :lol Though not with the gigantic awesome picture.

Whoever can find my giant duder can keep what's in the chest in front of him.

Man, fuckin creepers. I'm doing my first big construction project and every morning I have to clear a few of them out before I can resume construction. Maybe I need to build a wall around my hilltop castle so I have a safe construction zone.

MNC

Parallax Scroll said:
Man, fuckin creepers. I'm doing my first big construction project and every morning I have to clear a few of them out before I can resume construction. Maybe I need to build a wall around my hilltop castle so I have a safe construction zone.
Or set difficulty to Peaceful, then back to Normal when you're done.

Or that wall, if you don't want to 'cheat' your way into it :p

MNC

I was giving him the mere option :<
Fo shame GAF, thinking I play on peaceful. I JUST HAD A FREAKING RANT OF TWO LINES SAYING I HAD A CREEPER COMING UP ON ME AAAAAAAAA

Rufus

HappyBivouac said:
If you do this your construction projects will ooze feelings of self-regret and worthlessness.
They already kind of do... I just spent a lot of time trying to make obsidian until I realized I could have produced it one site, where I needed it. Then I realized that I would have had to haul lava all the way to the surface. I also tried to build a glass dome in the ocean, just to stop half-way because it started to feel pointless to me. I think I had a good system going though, using sand to create an artificial island that I then hollowed out, but it took forever still.
Spelunking is definitely more fun for me. I think I'm going to roll a new world next travel the land, explore the odd cave, kill monsters and let the map generator impress me with weird landscapes. All I'm going to build is a little house at my spawn point and temporary shelters at sundown.

Oh and it's never a good idea to use try to open chest with a bucket of lava in your hand...

Wired

MNC said:
Or set difficulty to Peaceful, then back to Normal when you're done.

Or that wall, if you don't want to 'cheat' your way into it :p

congratulations to you, sir. You've just become the first person I've ever put on my ignore list.

Wired said:
congratulations to you, sir. You've just become the first person I've ever put on my ignore list.

Well now that's just silly.

"WHAT YOU PLAY YOUR GAMES DIFFERENTLY THAN HOW I PREFER TO PLAY THEM!? I CAN SUFFER THIS FOOL NO LONGER"

FrancisH

Rufus said:
Oh and it's never a good idea to use try to open chest with a bucket of lava in your hand...

Ouch! I do this but with the bow and arrow instead. Makes me think there is a damn skeleton in my house :(

Wired

HappyBivouac said:
Well now that's just silly.

"WHAT YOU PLAY YOUR GAMES DIFFERENTLY THAN HOW I PREFER TO PLAY THEM!? I CAN SUFFER THIS FOOL NO LONGER"

Agreed, his statement was extraordinarily silly. At some point you just have to draw a line at what is acceptable. Glad to see I'm not alone in my thinking.

MNC

Wired said:
Jesus fucking Christ :lol
Saying things and actually doing them are quite different. Is it that hard to understand that I gave him the option to do so, yet not actually using that option myself? :p
But if it helps you sleep at night be my guest.

hadar

Bought the game last week and had a blast doing random crap while learning the game, but now I find myself in a weird situation. I just don't know what to do with this.
Yesterday I started a new world and as usual, built a simple shack near my starting point. While I was waiting for night to pass I randomly decided to open up a 4x4 hole inside my safe house, little did I know that soon after I was going to come across a vast natural cave with plenty of redstone and some diamond.

So, after gathering all the crap, I (eventually) find my way up, stash all the materials, make diamond tools and log off.
Today I log on and yeah, nothing occurs to me. Thought about exploring some but dunno where to start, somehow I'm not too comfortable with the idea of going too far from my spawn.

Anyone here ever had to deal with this? It's kinda frustrating. :(

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I bought the game :eek:

hadar: when multiplayer kicks in it should be awesome. You will work with buddies to fend off the monsters, go on quests to kill the spawners or some such I guess. It will be like some sort of Actraiser online! I hope so anyway.

I got a snow level. Is this bad?

hadar said:
Bought the game last week and had a blast doing random crap while learning the game, but now I find myself in a weird situation. I just don't know what to do with this.
Yesterday I started a new world and as usual, built a simple shack near my starting point. While I was waiting for night to pass I randomly decided to open up a 4x4 hole inside my safe house, little did I know that soon after I was going to come across a vast natural cave with plenty of redstone and some diamond.

So, after gathering all the crap, I (eventually) find my way up, stash all the materials, make diamond tools and log off.
Today I log on and yeah, nothing occurs to me. Thought about exploring some but dunno where to start, somehow I'm not too comfortable with the idea of going too far from my spawn.

Anyone here ever had to deal with this? It's kinda frustrating. :(
We can't tell you how to play the game but every time I start a new world I hollow out a huge underground base to be my main mining area and eventually use all of the stone from hollowing it out to make a huge outdoor base to be my main exploring hub as well as a platform for any weird creative projects like roller coasters or whatever.

If you make a compass and either have a torch trail leading back to your spawn or make some big monolith landmarks to guide you around you won't have to worry about getting too far from the spawn.

Ether_Snake said:
I got a snow level. Is this bad?

If it was inherently bad why would it be in the game?

The main reasons SOME people don't like snowy worlds is either because their computers can't handle it well or because the snow obscures your vision a bit.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok, well my PC is shit. I'll probably use this world just as a tutorial.

But... HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT NOISE?. I hear zombie-like moan, grumbling, hissing-like short sounds, and some sort of "bone" impact sound.

I'm hidden in my little cave with a small hole to see outside but I don't stay in front of it.

Sunlight is coming back... I hope these things are gone soon:| I don't have any torches yet.

Blizzard

Banned
Ether_Snake said:

But... HOLY SHIT WHAT IS THAT NOISE?. I hear zombie-like moan, grumbling, hissing-like short sounds, and some sort of "bone" impact sound.

I'm hidden in my little cave with a small hole to see outside but I don't stay in front of it.

Sunlight is coming back... I hope these things are gone soon:| I don't have any torches yet.
What you hear is fear. Fear is outside your tomb, in the night.

Ether_Snake said:

:lol You're going to love this game.

Please keep us updated on your adventure. I love reading about/seeing people start this game up for the first time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom