• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaweee

crowphoenix said:
I want to buy this game so badly. Will paypay convert American dollars to pounds or will I have to find some other way to get it?

Yeah, it will convert. You'll even get a detailed confirmation screen that gives information on the current exchange rate, etc. It comes out to $13.something US dollars.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Parallax Scroll said:
Man, fuckin creepers. I'm doing my first big construction project and every morning I have to clear a few of them out before I can resume construction. Maybe I need to build a wall around my hilltop castle so I have a safe construction zone.
You know.... monsters don't spawn in light up areas, only in the dark...

Also, neither monsters nor you can jump through fences....

So....

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok so I killed a spider after the sun came up, and went to look for coal. Found none, this place is frozen and without much of anything. After a while the sun started setting and I dug a hole in a mountain once more. All sorts of monsters could be heard outside and I waited while lifting weights and eating a bowl of cereals. I get out, and I see a creeper jumping up and down nearby. This fucker won't go away will he?

Oh did I mention how there is practically no trees here, hence no wood? Ugh!

EDIT: ARGH I killed a creeper stuck in a whole but there's more! Unforgiving land!

Ok I started a new world. Much better start. Found one piece of coal. Went to the top of a nearby mountain, at cloud level. Built myself a small house made of wooden planks, cut down all the trees nearby, rushed back into my house, close it off, and lit my first torch ever.

I'm playing the LOTR hobbit tune on loop. Surprisingly fitting!

http://www.endlessyoutube.com/watch?v=kV9IZW8F1u8

Notch needs to add custom soundtrack (chose which MP3 to play at night, or daytime, etc.)

Edit: I just thought of something. I think I'll build a trench around my house, so any enemies that falls into it will be stuck in it, like creepers. Then I can walk to above them and kill them.

drizzle said:
You know.... monsters don't spawn in light up areas, only in the dark...

Also, neither monsters nor you can jump through fences....

So....
I totally did not realize this about fences. That sounds way easier than building a stone wall 3-4 blocks high.

owlbeak

How does your loot behave in this game when you die?

Is it like Demons Souls where if I die, my loot is there, but if I die again in route to my loot, the original loot disappears and I only drop what I had at the time?

I ask because I had a TON of materials and pickaxes and shit and was digging (apparently way too deep) and was mining through a wall and BOOM, lava poured in and killed me. On my way back to get it, I fell down a hole and died. I made it back to my original death spot and didn't find all of my loot. :(

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Horsebite said:

Is it like Demons Souls where if I die, my loot is there, but if I die again in route to my loot, the original loot disappears and I only drop what I had at the time?

I ask because I had a TON of materials and pickaxes and shit and was digging (apparently way too deep) and was mining through a wall and BOOM, lava poured in and killed me. On my way back to get it, I fell down a hole and died. I made it back to my original death spot and didn't find all of my loot. :(
Its more time based. If you die on the way there, its still there, but if you take more then ten minutes or so then it disappears.

Rokk

Neo Member
If you died to a wall of lava it probably burnt up all of your shit :(.

When you die all your stuff drops and remains there for a period of time, I'm not sure how long but you can definitely die multiple times and still retrieve it.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Yeah I just died by falling down and spawned nearby so I managed to get my stuff back.

Right now I got a skelly, a zombie, and a creeper outside my house...

I hate creepers. Fucker will still be there in the morning!

Edit: Haha, horray for attacking creepers through doors!

Gui_PT

8Forgive me for the stupid question, but I've playing Minecraft Classic (the free version), and is there any way to ignite the TNT? I assume not because you can't craft anything, but I thought I'd ask.

Elcheris

Neo Member
Holy crap this game makes me feel like the biggest coward alive. As soon as the sun started setting I get so freaked out and head straight for my house. This time on my way I heard a zombie growl, I don't think Ive ever been more scared in my life =(

Gui_PT said:
8Forgive me for the stupid question, but I've playing Minecraft Classic (the free version), and is there any way to ignite the TNT? I assume not because you can't craft anything, but I thought I'd ask.

Nope. In classic all the blocks are the same, no functions and are one hit breaks.

Rufus

I think you just place it and touch it again. It'll blow on its own shortly thereafter, so you want to clear the blast radius. It sticks to anything, too, but if it will fall once it's ignited.

You can craft flint and steel to set wood on fire, but I never tried igniting TNT with it. Could work, dunno.

edit: Oh, I thought he moved on from classic to alpha. Never mind then...

Screw this game for being realistic...

My gf watches me play all the time and I finally found Gold. So I wanted to make a pickaxe out of it and my gf kept saying, "Gold is too soft, it wouldnt work well". And I just laughed and explained that it's not THAT realistic and gold is rare = better.

Crap....

The Judge

Speaking of uselessness, how about that Obsidian, huh. It's such a pain to mine it and I can't even make anything out of it besides building stuff, right? I found this place full of lava and made myself at least 150 obsidian blocks. I just can't bring myself to mine them though :lol

The Technomancer

The Judge said:
Speaking of uselessness, how about that Obsidian, huh. It's such a pain to mine it and I can't even make anything out of it besides building stuff, right? I found this place full of lava and made myself at least 150 obsidian blocks. I just can't bring myself to mine them though :lol
I'm trying to stockpile some because I'll need it once he implements colored cloth or whatever to make my giant Bit.Trip.Runner diorama. But yeah, its annoying, because often if I use the water to make obsidian, as soon as I mine it away it falls into the lava below.

ffff just lost all my gold (it wasnt much but dammm).

I read the Wiki and it said you can turn 9 Gold bars into a gold block and then turn it back into 9 Gold bars. So I tried it and put the block down to see what it looks like and broke it to retrieve the block again... dammit.

Vlad

The Judge said:

Well, that's why you don't make the obsidian and then mine it. It's slow, it's a waste of good diamond tools, and there's always the chance that the mined material will fall into lava below the top obsidian layer.

If you want to use obsidian, make a mold of what you want to make (one layer at a time) and then dump lava into it. Once every square of the mold is full of lava sources, dump water on it.

It goes pretty fast for quick projects. I made a door frame out of it for my first castle/base area and I finished it fairly quickly. On the other hand, my obsidian tower is taking a LOT longer. I've spent more time than I want to think about on the thing and it still only reaches about 2/3 of the way from the ground to the build ceiling. Still, I've gotten good at the routine of casting the stuff. I can finish a single layer of it in about 1.5-2 in-game days, which includes about 3 trips underground to get more lava.

MNC

Horsebite said:

The lava most likely burned it all.

The Technomancer

Vlad said:
Well, that's why you don't make the obsidian and then mine it. It's slow, it's a waste of good diamond tools, and there's always the chance that the mined material will fall into lava below the top obsidian layer.

If you want to use obsidian, make a mold of what you want to make (one layer at a time) and then dump lava into it. Once every square of the mold is full of lava sources, dump water on it.

It goes pretty fast for quick projects. I made a door frame out of it for my first castle/base area and I finished it fairly quickly. On the other hand, my obsidian tower is taking a LOT longer. I've spent more time than I want to think about on the thing and it still only reaches about 2/3 of the way from the ground to the build ceiling. Still, I've gotten good at the routine of casting the stuff. I can finish a single layer of it in about 1.5-2 in-game days, which includes about 3 trips underground to get more lava.
Well yeah, but doesn't the water only affect the top layer of the lava?

OK, I've got some fences up surrounding my under-construction castle and a few doors so I can get in and out. I've moved some dirt blocks around in the hillside to cut down on the paths monsters can take up to the hilltop. And I've put up a lot more torches in the surrounding area. The construction site seems to be pretty safe at night now. Back to building!

Haunted

I like the concept of fences, but it looks so silly if you can't hop over something which is clearly only a block high. :p

random observation #237: why do zombies and skeletons die in the sunlight? They're not vampires! I'd rather have the Creepers be allergic to it. :(

edit: also, I didn't know gold makes for useless tools, my pimpass golden sword broke so damn quickly. :(

Rufus

I find fences really bothersome to make. Just build a one-block high wall and put stone steps onto it. Same difference, unless you're going for a specific look, of course.

The_Technomancer said:
Well yeah, but doesn't the water only affect the top layer of the lava?
Your mould is only one layer high, you pour lava into that, turn it into obsidian, raise the mould one block higher, fill it with lava, turn it into obsidian, etc. If you come across magma streams or pools while mining what you say can happen, though. Or rather will happen most of the time. In my experience, at least.

Vlad

Rufus said:
Your mould is only one layer high, you pour lava into that, turn it into obsidian, raise the mould one block higher, fill it with lava, turn it into obsidian, etc. If you come across laval pools while mining what you say can happen, though, or rather will happen most of the time. In my experience, at least.

Exactly.

Dumping water on a pool of lava is a horrible idea if you're planning on mining the obsidian, since it'll only harden the top layer of lava, and the large pools near the bottom of the world can be quite deep. There's a concentration of lava pools I've been draining (one bucket at a time) that are rather large, and at least 7-8 blocks deep, if not more.

And since I feel like it, here's the obsidian tower as it stands now:

250knt0.png

I'm planning on raising it all the way to the build ceiling, so it's got a bit further to go. It's also entirely hollow on the inside, but I'll figure out what to do inside it later.

Rufus

Holy shit. Hope you're backing up your saves periodically. :lol

I don't have the patience to build something like that.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That's crazy.

Maybe gold could be used as a form of money in the multiplayer. Sure gold is useless, but so it was in real life too until recently. Rarity makes it valuable to some extent.

I hope one day the multiplayer mode becomes so complex that people will use gold as money (anything can be traded really), and then Notch will add a type of NPC, some sort of evil soldier type that spawns in a big dungeon far away at sea, and those creatures will try and attack players and will "steal" gold. So players will group together, build big cities and fortresses, stash their gold in giant coffers made of obsidian, and defend them from the evil soldiers.

Then we build a ship, sail to the enemy fortress, and destroy it and its evil ruler!

Anyway an update from me: I've been going on reconnaissance missions. I leave my tiny house (barely big enough for me, a torch, a chest, a workbench, and a furnace), discovered what appears to be a large cave complex under the hill on which my house is built. I see a lot of openings in the ground that lead to the open air, but they seem to be connected. I'm thinking it's a dungeon of some sort. It's a fun world, no snow in this one, and lots of high mountains, even one floating in the air.

I'm gonna have to build a second shack further down so I can explore that mine.

Oh and it seems that building a deep trench around my house worked. Enemies come and fall into them and remain stuck there.

Edit: Oh fuck I had my first encounter away from my house with a creeper, in broad daylight. I hit him, then he rushes towards me again. I try to hit him again and BAM, he explodes, leaving a crater. At least I managed to survive fine. Fucker.

MNC

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's confirmed or just a really awesome idea, but I heard somewhere 'cities' (little villages more like it) of certain monster groups would spawn when a world is rolled. Maybe even expand the AI they specifically come look for you (during the night ofcourse, during the day they sleep?) Or you could plunder their villages as well. I love all these options; really hope mobs are fixed soon for SMP.

MNC said:
Yeah, I'm not sure if it's confirmed or just a really awesome idea, but I heard somewhere 'cities' (little villages more like it) of certain monster groups would spawn when a world is rolled. Maybe even expand the AI they specifically come look for you (during the night ofcourse, during the day they sleep?) Or you could plunder their villages as well. I love all these options; really hope mobs are fixed soon for SMP.

Its something he plans on implementing, but hasn't yet.

Pimpbaa

Haunted said:
random observation #237: why do zombies and skeletons die in the sunlight? They're not vampires! I'd rather have the Creepers be allergic to it. :(

Because daytime is supposed to be safe.

Ether_Snake said:
That's crazy.

Maybe gold could be used as a form of money in the multiplayer. Sure gold is useless, but so it was in real life too until recently. Rarity makes it valuable to some extent.

I hope one day the multiplayer mode becomes so complex that people will use gold as money (anything can be traded really), and then Notch will add a type of NPC, some sort of evil soldier type that spawns in a big dungeon far away at sea, and those creatures will try and attack players and will "steal" gold. So players will group together, build big cities and fortresses, stash their gold in giant coffers made of obsidian, and defend them from the evil soldiers.

Then we build a ship, sail to the enemy fortress, and destroy it and its evil ruler!

Anyway an update from me: I've been going on reconnaissance missions. I leave my tiny house (barely big enough for me, a torch, a chest, a workbench, and a furnace), discovered what appears to be a large cave complex under the hill on which my house is built. I see a lot of openings in the ground that lead to the open air, but they seem to be connected. I'm thinking it's a dungeon of some sort. It's a fun world, no snow in this one, and lots of high mountains, even one floating in the air.

I'm gonna have to build a second shack further down so I can explore that mine.

Oh and it seems that building a deep trench around my house worked. Enemies come and fall into them and remain stuck there.

Edit: Oh fuck I had my first encounter away from my house with a creeper, in broad daylight. I hit him, then he rushes towards me again. I try to hit him again and BAM, he explodes, leaving a crater. At least I managed to survive fine. Fucker.

That's basically how I envision the game evolving. Also, PVP with fully destructible worlds? Holy shit that will be fun. Best MMORPG ever.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PVP could be cool yeah (something that can be turned off per-server of course).

On an unrelated note, I think it would be cool if you could make binoculars. Some material + glass in an H shape = binoculars:)

notsol337

marked forever
funkmastergeneral said:
That's basically how I envision the game evolving. Also, PVP with fully destructible worlds? Holy shit that will be fun. Best MMORPG ever.

That just sounds like I'd spend 12 seconds trying to build something only to have like 6 players gang up on me repeatedly.

Sounds awful.

Please someone help:

I've been playing Minecraft for a while (exe in offline mode Survival) and I just started creating my own mine when my game froze and crashed (so I had to restart my computer).

Now when I go to play my game world is not showing up.... Did I lose everything? Please help :((((

xll8f.jpg

Helmholtz

Darknessbear said:
Please someone help:

I've been playing Minecraft for a while (exe in offline mode Survival) and I just started creating my own mine when my game froze and crashed (so I had to restart my computer).

Now when I go to play my game world is not showing up.... Did I lose everything? Please help :((((
Probably :/

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Probably lost everything, but did you save before? To save your world press Esc, and it will say Saving World.

BTW what are planks for? Three pieces of wood next to one another in the bottom. I wanted to make a bridge that reached for a far away area, but I can't put it in the air.

Ether_Snake said:
That's crazy.

check out this video. They have some kind of paying system established. The server is full all the time though :(

Yea I saved a lot. I've been playing for a while now... I didn't know how the save system worked. So I didn't know if there was a save I could backup and wasn't aware it corrupted so easily...

This sucks, I guess I'm done with this game now. wee...

Vlad

Ether_Snake said:
BTW what are planks for? Three pieces of wood next to one another in the bottom. I wanted to make a bridge that reached for a far away area, but I can't put it in the air.

Those are actually pressure plates. You can use them to activate certain other objects (doors, tnt, etc). You can make stone ones by using three smooth stone in the same pattern.

n0b

Darknessbear said:
Please someone help:

Check in your minecraft save directory (users/*name*/appdata/roaming/.minecraft) and see if there is stuff there... if there is, backup the folder, and then click on one of the empty slots. I've had the buttons say empty but then when it generated the world it generated it almost exactly as I left it

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Darknessbear: That sucks, I hope you somehow manage to get your map back.

Vlad said:
Those are actually pressure plates. You can use them to activate certain other objects (doors, tnt, etc). You can make stone ones by using three smooth stone in the same pattern.

So how would I make a bridge that goes from my house to some other mountain in the distance? My house is on the edge of a cliff and I want to do this to come back to my place easily.

BTW I found what appears to be gold, I guess I need to smelt them to get them out of the rocks?

Also, I could hear zombies in a mine but couldn't see them anywhere. It was day time. What does this mean? There were walls everywhere.

Ether_Snake said:
So how would I make a bridge that goes from my house to some other mountain in the distance? My house is on the edge of a cliff and I want to do this to come back to my place easily.
Use crouch (left shift) to get at the edge of a block and place another one in front of it until you reach the mountain.
BTW I found what appears to be gold, I guess I need to smelt them to get them out of the rocks?
no, you only need a iron pick axe at least to mine the gold. Then you can smelt it in a furnace to make gold blocks which are useless :D
Also, I could hear zombies in a mine but couldn't see them anywhere. It was day time. What does this mean? There were walls everywhere.
monsters are where it is dark. In caves it is dark. You can hear them through the walls so there seems to be a cave next to your already explored one.

commissar

edit: too slow!

regarding bridges I prefer the look of steps as you can make nice curvy bridges. with them, and they're cheap to make!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom