• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad

Ether_Snake said:
So how would I make a bridge that goes from my house to some other mountain in the distance? My house is on the edge of a cliff and I want to do this to come back to my place easily.

Just use whatever material you feel like, really. You can place a block on the side of any other block (gravel and sand will fall, though). So just lean out over the edge (made infinitely easier ever since sneaking was added), put a block next to the one you're standing on, and repeat until you're where you want to be.

BTW I found what appears to be gold, I guess I need to smelt them to get them out of the rocks?

Yeah, getting gold bars works exactly like iron, except you need to use an iron or diamond pick to mine the stuff.

Also, I could hear zombies in a mine but couldn't see them anywhere. It was day time. What does this mean? There were walls everywhere.

Walls don't block sound at this point, so even if there's tons of granite between you and the zombie, you'll be able to hear them as well as if it were just air. All that means is that there's a room somewhere near you that's large enough to spawn a zombie in.

n0b said:
Check in your minecraft save directory (users/*name*/appdata/roaming/.minecraft) and see if there is stuff there... if there is, backup the folder, and then click on one of the empty slots. I've had the buttons say empty but then when it generated the world it generated it almost exactly as I left it
*big bear hug* *squeeeze*

Thank you! :D :D I swore I lost it all.

Lost the huge mine I made and all the stuff in the chests down there/what I had on me. But who cares! YAY!

Thanks

Caesar III said:
cool. Could you please go a bit more into detail how all this works. Is there someone behind the counter all the time? I don't get it really.

It's actually pretty dumb I think. The boss of the server JavaGuru has a major hard on for currency in Minecraft, so he's set up that bank. He has set values for trading of all items with the bank, ie he'll give you 1 iron ore for 3 pieces of coal.

In the future he wants to use sponges as the server currency.

Edit: Also in said bank, he has individual vaults for each individual player on the server, which only that player has access to warp to. I really like that feature.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
notsol337 said:
That just sounds like I'd spend 12 seconds trying to build something only to have like 6 players gang up on me repeatedly.

Sounds awful.
Minecraft multiplayer has the potential to be both the best multiplayer ever and the worst multiplayer ever created in software form.

Unless you get like 4-6 of your friends on a server and do whatever, you're going to have a shitty experience, because somebody is bound to go to wherever you are to fuck up your stuff.

Now that I got everything back, I want to save what I've made in pics. Is there an easy way to take pics? Or do I have to Print Screen > Paste > Save every time?

Twig

Banned
Darknessbear said:
Now that I got everything back, I want to save what I've made in pics. Is there an easy way to take pics? Or do I have to Print Screen > Paste > Save every time?
Fraps is what most people probably use.

Vlad

Darknessbear said:

As far as I know, it's just Printscreen (or alt-printscreen if you just want to take a picture of the Minecraft window) and paste for now.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So what I found isn't gold then? It's gray rock with small yellow bits in them.

And what happens if I put torches in the caves, will it keep the monsters away somehow?

BTW: I see multiplayer as being great if it is PVE, or if you have PVP then it needs to be matches. Like "flood your enemy's camp". Let's say you both have a spawn crystal in your own camps, and your goal is to get water or lava to flood the enemy's spawn crystal.

I LOVED flooding the world in free Single Player and multi:D

funkmastergeneral said:
Edit: Also in said bank, he has individual vaults for each individual player on the server, which only that player has access to warp to. I really like that feature.
What server mods are you using exactly? MCadmin and what else?

Atomski

Finally bought this game and I am loving it.

minecrafted.jpg

Haunted

Ether_Snake said:
So what I found isn't gold then? It's gray rock with small yellow bits in them.
What you're describing sounds like raw gold blocks, alright. Smelt the ore in a furnace and you'll get gold ingots to work with.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Ok cool.

Are chests all the same like in Resident Evil, or do they each hold their own contents?

r1chard

Just started another single-player map. This time I'm going straight for the good stuff.

1. I wandered until I found a source of coal,
2. Excavated, made torches, picks, a sword and shovels,
3. Blocked off the excavation from the outside world, and
4. Commenced digging down around a 3x3 spiral staircase.

I'll continue 4 until I hit either the basement or the void. Lava, water and other caverns will be dealt with swiftly. Then I'll build a ladder back up to the surface and start seriously mining the bottom. Once I have a good stock of diamonds I'll go exploring.

I've had a few maps and never seen monster spawners or chests - am I just playing the wrong version of the game, or in the wrong mode? I only play single-player offline (I can't use Paypal :-( )

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
What the hell is this?????? It just appeared out of nowhere deep underground by the bottom layer of one of my mines. It wasn't there one second, and then I turn around and it's appeared out of nowhere.

Screenshot2010-09-26at95401PM.png

Jokey665

siddx said:
What the hell is this?????? It just appeared out of nowhere deep underground by the bottom layer of one of my mines. It wasn't there one second, and then I turn around and it's appeared out of nowhere.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r216/siddartha6/Screenshot2010-09-26at95401PM.png/IMG][/QUOTE]
Slime ball. They drop when you kill slimes. No use, currently.

Razorskin

----- ------
siddx said:

Creeper pheromone. Drop it and run.

Slime ball, it's useless.

siddx

Jokey665 said:
Slime ball. They drop when you kill slimes. No use, currently.

Weird, I have yet to come across any slimes. Must have fallen off a cliff somewhere chasing me.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What's the little musical chim I sometimes hear? Like some magical sound, lasts very shortly.

siddx

Ether_Snake said:
What's the little musical chim I sometimes hear? Like some magical sound, lasts very shortly.

Do you mean the one thats kind of creepy? Like when I'm in some cave deep underground and I hear that creepy chime I think an army of creepers are descending upon me, but I don't know if it means something or is just random.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sort of creepy I guess. It's the second time I hear it but nothing happened.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Ether_Snake said:
I think all these sounds, like the wind inside a cave, are there just to freak us out.

And they work.

L00P

Ether_Snake said:
Sort of creepy I guess. It's the second time I hear it but nothing happened.

I think you get to hear it when when there's a secret unexplored room or there are enemies, but I'm not quite sure. There were rooms I couldn't have found if I didn't hear the sound coming from behind the wall.

Brashnir

Any advice for growing trees in my mines? I planted a couple, but they haven't grown in hours.

I checked a couple youtube videos and think I'm doing something wrong.

Do they need water? I set up a water system for mine and used a hoe to prepare the soil. Is this necessary for trees or only crops? Does it help or hurt trees, or do nothing?

I think I'll try putting my torches a little closer to them. They're currently surrounded and in a very well-lit area, but none of the torches are within a couple squares of them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
L00P said:
I think you get to hear it when when there's a secret unexplored room or there are enemies, but I'm not quite sure. There were rooms I couldn't have found if I didn't hear the sound coming from behind the wall.

Mmmm. Now while building my bridge I heard a siren-like sound (siren as in, whale-like). I'm up in the air.

Brashnir said:
Any advice for growing trees in my mines? I planted a couple, but they haven't grown in hours.

I checked a couple youtube videos and think I'm doing something wrong.

Do they need water? I set up a water system for mine and used a hoe to prepare the soil. Is this necessary for trees or only crops? Does it help or hurt trees, or do nothing?

I think I'll try putting my torches a little closer to them. They're currently surrounded and in a very well-lit area, but none of the torches are within a couple squares of them.

I would like to know this as well. I have a tree with water and torches on plowed ground and it hasnt done a thing in days.

thespot84

Atomski said:
Finally bought this game and I am loving it.

minecrafted.jpg

I can see my house!

So I was explaining the game to a friend the other day, and the idea of a minecraft rts struck me. I'm sure someone else has thought of this too, but it'd be amazing, once we figure out how to control armies of some sort, to have to build your base block by block, and play in a real time real time strategy (that wasn't a typo). A single battle could be waged over the course of a year or something. It might have to run that each base is an island, and it's deactivated when you log off or something, but i haven't got that far yet, just thought i'd share the idea.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I spent my first night not holed up into my house. I made some stairway to my house's roof and observed the landscape. I saw creepers in the distance, one came close to my house and I killed him from above, another is currently stuck in my trenches, but a mother fucking skeleton tried to shoot arrows at me! Scared the shit out of me and I ran right back into my house. Now he fell into my trenches. Trenches are good to make cause all sorts of creatures just fall into them and then you kill them from above and collect the loot. More often than not they are dead at sunrise anyway and might leave stuff behind.

I wanted to see from outside so I would not what the situation was as early as possible in the morning so I could move away from my house without waiting for the sun to be really high. Trying to make the most out of my days!

Edit: Success! My house is now connected to my new small shack on another mountain (just enough room for me, a chest and a workbench), thanks to this wooden bridge I just finished.

Now I feel like I can explore a bit more around. I'm a bit afraid of mining deep, so I've been mostly at the surface so far. I want to find some iron tho. I got only two pieces and don't even remember where I got them.

Brashnir

TheExecutive said:
I would like to know this as well. I have a tree with water and torches on plowed ground and it hasnt done a thing in days.

I messed around with them a little more. I put4 torches in the dirt around each one, trampled the soil on one to "un-plow" it, and left the other as it was.

The un-plowed one grew.

edit, after more experimentation, water doesn't mater. Unplowed, unwatered soil with a ring of 8 torches around the sprout seems to be the best method. I have 13 trees planted, and every time I run out of picks in my mine, 3-4 of them have grown. My Arborium is keeping me busy.

Brashnir

Ether_Snake said:
Now I feel like I can explore a bit more around. I'm a bit afraid of mining deep, so I've been mostly at the surface so far. I want to find some iron tho. I got only two pieces and don't even remember where I got them.

Iron is all around, in the same general areas where you'll find coal. Just excavate a lot of rock and eventually you'll find some. I wouldn't worry about making iron mining picks though, until you need them to mine the harder stuff. I wear through them faster than I can find iron with them. I do most of my mining with stone, and use iron for swords, armor, and shovels (since they're only one iron and they get eaten up in a hurry)

We'll I'll post a pic of my main Farm House/Watchtower. It's not anything crazy like you folks post here.. but it is my humble start!
(there is a ladder inside the cliff that goes from the bottom to the top)
ZFqwy.jpg

Brashnir

Darknessbear said:
We'll I'll post a pic of my main Farm House/Watchtower. It's not anything crazy like you folks post here.. but it is my humble start!
(there is a ladder inside the cliff that goes from the bottom to the top)
ZFqwy.jpg

You got a pretty cool world to work with there. Is the waterfall/river coming out of the wall natural or did you make it? Are you playing a regular game with enemies or a "safe" sandbox?

Pics like this remind me that there's a whole world above ground that I could be building stuff in. I spend hours and hours carving out rooms inside my mine. Every time I get an inkling to go topside, it's night time and I haven't had time to build an open-air refuge up there yet.

Maybe I'll do that when I get home from work. I sit here all night at work just dying to play. What will my rocks do without me?

:/
I always figured that sound was to let you know when the sun rises and falls whilst underground.
I imagined it being a call from some greater evil that calls to the monsters to come out at night and retreat at day......
once again, probably just me.... :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
What's the keystroke for fullscreen mode? I did it once by accident but never figured out how I did it.

I hope we get some SMP improvements today. Perhaps Notch can complete some this early. Would be cool.

on a side note: Minecraft can be tracked by raptr now if added manually through the client.

Caesar III said:
I hope we get some SMP improvements today. Perhaps Notch can complete some this early. Would be cool.

on a side note: Minecraft can be tracked by raptr now if added manually through the client.

Did Notch say something about an update today that I missed?

Also the game broke 250,000 sales. Incredible.

Caesar III said:

Did Notch say he'd be updating on monday? I thought it was a friday thing.
Ugh, just talking about updates is making me upset. Dude hasn't given us a substantial update in forever.

Pinko Marx said:
Ugh, just talking about updates is making me upset. Dude hasn't given us a substantial update in forever.

He's too busy swimming in money ala Scrooge McDuck :(

in August when the game wasn't that popular and he did not have to go to valve and such there was an update nearly every day. The friday update is a secret one where he does not post what he added/changed.

kottila

Pinko Marx said:

Probably spending most his time working on server and paypal stuff atm.

Caesar III said:
in August when the game wasn't that popular and he did not have to go to valve and such there was an update nearly every day. The friday update is a secret one where he does not post what he added/changed.

Yeah, thats what makes me angry. Hes stopped his consistent updating.

kottila said:
Probably spending most his time working on server and paypal stuff atm.

Isn't that what hes spose to being hiring people for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom