• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be perfectly happy if notch left SMP in it's current state until he's developed more of the single player experience. Multiplayer is cool and all, and building and mining with others is good fun, but it's not the same experience as what single player offers - that sense of isolation, discovery and survival that makes Minecraft such a unique game to play.

Vinci

Danish
Bootaaay said:
I'd be perfectly happy if notch left SMP in it's current state until he's developed more of the single player experience. Multiplayer is cool and all, and building and mining with others is good fun, but it's not the same experience as what single player offers - that sense of isolation, discovery and survival that makes Minecraft such a unique game to play.

Well... it's really impossible to know until we have a clearer idea as to what the 'final' version of Minecraft is going to look like. Don't get me wrong, right now single-player owns multi pretty considerably - but once they're even-steven? I don't know. We'll just have to wait and see everything he adds to this thing.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
This game gets much better if you spawn in a spot where you can find some caves. The first two maps I spawned on basically didn't have anything interesting; some lakes and such, but I dug and dug and just found more and more rock. At no point was I ever in any danger from anything I didn't actively go out and pick a fight with, and wondered what all the fuss was about. The outside enemies are easy enough to keep away with torches around my house, and I never ran into ANYTHING underground because I lit my way with torches and thus never had any darkness something could spawn in.

I started a third map (as the first was kind of boring and the second was all snow covered) once I got the basics down and THIS time there are caves all over the place; not only with outside openings, but a couple that I dug down and found under the surface. Still not remarkably scared of anything, but the game is better when I know that while exploring I may still run into a room with a skeleton and only two exits that I can't just run past or drop torches to avoid. Plus, it's funner to dig my way into a mountain that I know may contain a few systems of caves instead of just rock, rock, rock, rock, ore, rock rock rock, etc., and then there are underground rivers and such flowing into the caves. Much more interesting game this way.

Wired

MNC said:
Jesus fucking Christ :lol
Saying things and actually doing them are quite different. Is it that hard to understand that I gave him the option to do so, yet not actually using that option myself? :p
But if it helps you sleep at night be my guest.

I assumed my amazingly over-the-top reaction would make it clear I was joking :p Internet humor is hard :(

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
TheNiX said:
Run the Cartograph on your map and you'll soon discover there are a lot of cave systems right under your feet.
Meh. I'm having more fun with the unpredictability for now. Maybe once I get a bit more developed on my levels.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
One bump in case my question was missed.
Two questions:

1. My friends server doesn't seem to have sheep or cows. Are they really never going to show up? I need wool!

2. I got what seems to be a dirt block in my inventory but there is a small green outline on the top of it. Is this a grass block? That'd be great since I want to grow grass on my rooftops.

dallow_bg said:
One bump in case my question was missed.

1. I hope they're added soon. Not in SMP right now.

2. Not sure what it is. To get grass to grow though it just needs to be connected to another piece of grass I believe. I've gotten grass in many places just by creating huge links. As long as they're only one layer up the grass will keep jumping to other layers.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hey, how does one use a bucket to gather water? Using the right mouse button just makes it smash the underneath block...

WanderingWind said:
Hey, how does one use a bucket to gather water? Using the right mouse button just makes it smash the underneath block...

Are you trying to get water from a water source? Any still water can be picked up, or if it's flowing it's got to be from the source of the flow

Yea a simple right click will do it as long as it's a water source. If it's a spring or waterfall though (any flowing water) and you take the water from it's "source", the water will disappear. However in flat water in lakes and oceans the water will just go back.

WanderingWind said:
Ah. That helps. You just hit the water with a bucket, I'm assuming?

Right click and you're good. If you're playing on SMP dumping out the water in the place you want it will just disappear unless you download a fix someone made.

Brashnir said:
You got a pretty cool world to work with there. Is the waterfall/river coming out of the wall natural or did you make it? Are you playing a regular game with enemies or a "safe" sandbox?

Pics like this remind me that there's a whole world above ground that I could be building stuff in. I spend hours and hours carving out rooms inside my mine. Every time I get an inkling to go topside, it's night time and I haven't had time to build an open-air refuge up there yet.

Maybe I'll do that when I get home from work. I sit here all night at work just dying to play. What will my rocks do without me?

That waterfall/river is natural and I'm playing a regular survival game with lots of enemies.

epmode

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, but SMP is the big anti-piracy feature.

sukamon.gif

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Thought I was going crazy there for a second. Maybe this means something cool is being added!...or not...I can always dream.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Awakened said:
http://painterlypack.net/ <- Just noticed there's a Halloween pack up there now. Looks good.

I actually just got the normal pack, and I'm really glad I did. I have a few complaints but the amount of aliasing this pack cuts out is tremendous, especially in regards to cobblestone and glass.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Aquavelvaman said:
Does the painterly pack have animation errors like many other reskins seem to?

I didn't notice any in the brief time I loaded up my SP file just to check it out. Animals worked fine and a spider seemed to work alright too. My only real complaint with it was that the resolution of the icons was pretty inconsistent. Building blocks are super high res while everything else is low res.

DRock

has yet to tasted the golden nectar that is tag
Here is what I've been working on. It's based off of Baron Castle from FFII (US) and just by chance I found an awesome cave system filled with gold, redstone & some diamonds while digging out the hidden throne room.

mc1-1.jpg

I added a lever on each side of the main entrance that open both doors simultaneously.

mc3-1.jpg

I created a wiring room underneath the main entrance that is accessible from one of the towers.

mc2-1-1.jpg

I still have to finish the moat, replace lots of cobblestone with stone and make proper pathways.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
epmode said:
NEW UPDATE: The range at which lava will burn blocks has been increased by 1

DOES THAT MEAN MINECRAFT IS BACK???
*starts up launcher*
*=(*
i hate you
j/k =P

w1ndst0rm said:
I think I just got a Saddle out of a chest in a little dungeon.
BTW how do you kill the spawn boxes?
iron+ pickax??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom