• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hellcrow

Gave up trying to figure out Minecarts on my own, and youtube confirmed it was the correct choice. How did they find out about the booster technique? Is that a glitch or intended?

Flambe

maniac-kun said:
i created a rollercoster at the spawn to my main base that should do the trick and its fun (have a chest with a minecart ready :lol )

My god that's awesome, I'm going to have to redo my entire thing for height though

luka said:
You ever see a close-up image of a computer processor, and it has all these lines and shit on it? There are all those lines and shit, in minecraft!

So, how much higher than the cloud layer can you go? I found the next mountaintop I want to build on, and it just barely touches the clouds already.

teiresias

TheNiX said:
Basically, he created a computer that can do math equations.

Saying "ALU Computer" is a little confusing, since most people would consider an ALU to be part of a whole computer (or more like part of a processor/CPU), it stands for Arithmetic Logic Unit. To do the entire computer he'll need to build an instruction decoder, memory, program counter, etc.

Fraeon

teiresias said:
Saying "ALU Computer" is a little confusing, since most people would consider an ALU to be part of a whole computer (or more like part of a processor/CPU), it stands for Arithmetic Logic Unit. To do the entire computer he'll need to build an instruction decoder, memory, program counter, etc.

Watching the video, he's planning to do just that.

Parallax Scroll said:
You ever see a close-up image of a computer processor, and it has all these lines and shit on it? There are all those lines and shit, in minecraft!

So, how much higher than the cloud layer can you go? I found the next mountaintop I want to build on, and it just barely touches the clouds already.
Not all that far. I think ive seen screenshots where mountains that touched the clouds have had trees grow that run into the ceiling and get cut off.

I been playing this game for awhile and its kinda addicting at first but gets boring kinda quick when you want to have X so you can make Y but takes ages to get. I doubt all the vids of the "cool stuff" showcased so far are from people playing the game "properly" (that'd be really insane...) so what are they using?

Also is there any way to get stairs to line up correctly instead of snapping to the wrong side of a block without deleting all blocks besides 1? Making wide staircases is hard.

ChronicleX said:
I been playing this game for awhile and its kinda addicting at first but gets boring kinda quick when you want to have X so you can make Y but takes ages to get. I doubt all the vids of the "cool stuff" showcased so far are from people playing the game "properly" (that'd be really insane...) so what are they using?

Also is there any way to get stairs to line up correctly instead of snapping to the wrong side of a block without deleting all blocks besides 1? Making wide staircases is hard.
In addition to the survival mode that I (and presumably you) play, there is also a creative mode, where there are no enemies and you get unlimited blocks to build with. Personally I find it more fun when you've gotta quest for 'em.

I haven't even bothered making any stairs yet cause I hear they're a bitch. I just use blocks and jump up them.

Parallax Scroll said:
In addition to the survival mode that I (and presumably you) play, there is also a creative mode, where there are no enemies and you get unlimited blocks to build with. Personally I find it more fun when you've gotta quest for 'em.

I haven't even bothered making any stairs yet cause I hear they're a bitch. I just use blocks and jump up them.

K, I was just checking to see if there was a way todo it in survival. It's fun seeing the blocky ai jump down pits trying to get to you because you live in a floating castle, just that doing it within survival is a pain without some form of "noclip" mode for positioning.

Though overall I don't really see why this game has all this buzz around it. Sure its kinda good but in the end its just a lego pit. This guy made Virtual Lego, thats all Minecraft seems to be... LEGO! :lol

BooJoh

I like the aspect of working for my blocks and materials, but sometimes I get tired of creepers blowing my stuff up or find myself never leaving the safety of my base, so I switch it to Peaceful difficulty and play that way for a while. It's still got a little bit of challenge that way since you need to find resources and make your blocks and try not to fall to your death or get surprised by lava, but it's more relaxing.

Blizzard

Banned
The game showed up on Slashdot again today. I really hope the server-going-down issues are high in the list of priorities...someone in the Slashdot comments was even talking about it. They were like, if you like Minecraft, stop telling people about it! The servers are down 40% as it is! :lol It can't handle its own popularity. After the free weekend peak, the stats (if they are currently accurate given the server's downtime) have been pretty much around 10k a day as far as I remember looking. That's another big jump for CONSISTENT sales if it stays.

Vlad

ChronicleX said:

Well, that's kind of the point of the game in its current state. Want to build a massive minecart system? Better stock up on iron. Intricate electrical circuits so you can program a combination lock for your front door using switches? Go find a bunch of redstone.

I posted a picture earlier of an obsidian tower I've been building, and the satisfaction of standing back, looking at it, and realizing that I worked for every block there (by carting far too many buckets of lava from the bottom of the world). Part of the fun was devising an efficient system for moving from the lava all the way at the bottom to the ever-growing tower. Sure, I could have used an inventory editor to dump a couple thousand obsidian blocks into my inventory, but it just would have felt hollow.

Not all that far. I think ive seen screenshots where mountains that touched the clouds have had trees grow that run into the ceiling and get cut off.

The relatively low build ceiling has been one of my slight disappointments about the game. I understand why he's got to have it that way (performance issues at the moment), but it was still a little bit of a letdown to find out that the highest I could build was just a little bit above the tallest mountain.

Can anyone shed some light as to why I'm having issues connecting to my friend's multiplayer server? I know I have the IP right, as it seems like it's trying to connect, but eventually times out. I'm going to go to his place in a little while to troubleshoot, so can anyone tell me what we might be doing wrong?

And is there any difference between SP and MP other than the presence of other players?

Jimmy Stav said:
Can anyone shed some light as to why I'm having issues connecting to my friend's multiplayer server? I know I have the IP right, as it seems like it's trying to connect, but eventually times out. I'm going to go to his place in a little while to troubleshoot, so can anyone tell me what we might be doing wrong?

And is there any difference between SP and MP other than the presence of other players?

SMP is a lot glitchier than SP I believe. I never play SP but there's a lot of fiddling around that can make your experience more enjoyable. Default, placing buckets don't work. You have to download a quick fix to allow you to pour the contents of your bucket and have the lava or water save. Minecarts don't really work either.

Blizzard

Banned
Vlad said:
The relatively low build ceiling has been one of my slight disappointments about the game. I understand why he's got to have it that way (performance issues at the moment), but it was still a little bit of a letdown to find out that the highest I could build was just a little bit above the tallest mountain.
I can't say for sure, but EVENTUALLY that may be a possibility. In the classic mode, I think there were some creative mode servers that had custom vertical modifications. There was a "skydive" one in particular that was a huuuuuuge vertical drop, with random stuff built as you fell down, trying to reach a target or something at the bottom. Jumping off a skyscraper in classic creative mode, even knowing that I wouldn't die, practically gave me vertigo.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
BooJoh said:
I like the aspect of working for my blocks and materials, but sometimes I get tired of creepers blowing my stuff up or find myself never leaving the safety of my base, so I switch it to Peaceful difficulty and play that way for a while. It's still got a little bit of challenge that way since you need to find resources and make your blocks and try not to fall to your death or get surprised by lava, but it's more relaxing.

Yeah fucking creepers, I had THREE creepers stuck in the pits I built for monsters around my house today, and a spider not too far off. Glad I could just walk away, but then I went into a mine and I'm sure I saw something that looked like a creeper just standing there, not moving at all, in the darkness. I know I hear some growling sound. So I just left and went somewhere else.

I only fight monsters if they are stuck in my ditch and I can kill them from above.

Didn't change the game to peaceful yet. I'm gonna try to make myself a bow and arrows so I can kill the fuckers from afar.

Vlad

Ether_Snake said:
Yeah fucking creepers, I had THREE creepers stuck in the pits I built for monsters around my house today, and a spider not too far off. Glad I could just walk away, but then I went into a mine and I'm sure I saw something that looked like a creeper just standing there, not moving at all, in the darkness. I know I hear some growling sound. So I just left and went somewhere else.

Creepers don't make any idle sounds, though. That's why they can be so nasty: they're dead silent until you hear the "ssssssssss" and that's the point where you know you need to run.

I've been having similar issues with the small slimes recently. The medium and large ones make a heck of a racket, but the tiny ones make no noise, do no damage, and simply just nudge you around. Doesn't sound so bad at first, but when you're on the edge of a lake of lava loading up buckets and one sneaks up behind you and pushes you in, it makes you wish that the damn things were like all the other monsters and didn't spawn in the light.

Didn't change the game to peaceful yet. I'm gonna try to make myself a bow and arrows so I can kill the fuckers from afar.

The melee range in the game is larger than you'd think, so it is possible to kill creepers with a sword. The bow and arrow also works, but since it takes 5 arrows to kill any monster, you end up really blowing through them if you use them exclusively.

I'd actually like to see stronger arrows added to the game. Obsidian is a natural fit, obviously, but I wouldn't mind using some of my iron supply to make stronger arrows.

Vlad

Aquavelvaman said:
I want redstone tipped arrows that ignite on impact. I have like a whole chest of redstone that I'm never gonna use.

I'm assuming that once more stuff gets added that can interact with redstone (Notch has mentioned floodgates in the past) then there will be more of a use for it. I remember being really excited when I first started finding some, but at this point, I've got over ten full stacks of it and I tend to just not even bother mining it any more.

stressboy

Vlad said:
I'm assuming that once more stuff gets added that can interact with redstone (Notch has mentioned floodgates in the past) then there will be more of a use for it. I remember being really excited when I first started finding some, but at this point, I've got over ten full stacks of it and I tend to just not even bother mining it any more.

I only mine it if it is in my way. I have half a chest.. a big chest.. filled with the stuff.

Ainaurdur

ChronicleX said:
Read up on the Behaviors for stairs. Helped me a lot. East and West facing stairs are quite easy. It's the North and South facing ones that I found it was good to just have a stack of spare dirt to temporarily place to the side for the first part of each step.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ainaurdur said:
Read up on the Behaviors for stairs. Helped me a lot. East and West facing stairs are quite easy. It's the North and South facing ones that I found it was good to just have a stack of spare dirt to temporarily place to the side for the first part of each step.

This really helps explain why I was having trouble with some of the stairs in my stadium. Notch really needs to give a way to rotate these things manually. =/

Status update from Notch:

I’m sorry about the lack of updates.

Most my time these days is taken up by meetings and lawyers, accountants, banks, potential partners, potential employees, and the occasional interview. The few hours I do have to develop the game every now and then are mostly spent on looking into bugs and replying to emails.

All this non-development work will result in a much nicer working environment, with talented people helping out with development, an actual office, and a much better way to deal with support issues, bug reports and feature requests.

It’s a good thing I didn’t know how much work setting up a company would be when I started doing it..

The status right now is that we’re up to four people confirmed, and we’re talking to several people. We almost got an office, but they wanted us to sign up for three years, which seems a bit like a gamble for a startup. So we’re still looking for an office.

I know some people feel let down by the lack of updates. I’m sorry.

But I am working. Hard. =)
http://notch.tumblr.com/

So when his company is ready Minecraft will get a ton better :)

kottila

Parallax Scroll said:

Make each step two squares deep and put the half steps in stone on the inner square. They count as half a block, so you don't need to jump

fresquito

Project Lighthouse has been disarmed :-(

I was planning on making a lighthouse, with its rounding light and all. I would do the building, and at the top, one side would have a wall, and the other cristal. Then I'd ignite a minecart and make it turn around forever.

Two things prevented this from happening: the minecart would eventually collapse and the fire wouldn't enlighten. So, fail project. Now I have an abandoned lighthouse that works no more :lol

Any suggestion to make it work?

fresquito said:
Project Lighthouse has been disarmed :-(

I was planning on making a lighthouse, with its rounding light and all. I would do the building, and at the top, one side would have a wall, and the other cristal. Then I'd ignite a minecart and make it turn around forever.

Two things prevented this from happening: the minecart would eventually collapse and the fire wouldn't enlighten. So, fail project. Now I have an abandoned lighthouse that works no more :lol

Any suggestion to make it work?
using redstone lava and doors could work maybe but never tried that

build a closed room with 4 doors and a lava pilar in the middle and programm the doors using redsone to open/close one after the other

fresquito

maniac-kun said:
using redstone lava and doors could work maybe but never tried that

build a closed room with 4 doors and a lava pilar in the middle and programm the doors using redsone to open/close one after the other
Could you explain in detail? I've never used restone (although I have a lot lying around).

Today I created my first minecart track. It's an overworld thing and it' utterly awesome. It goes from my house, directly over a gigantic hill in front of it. Once there I've seen there're other awesome hills in the horizon that I could connect through a railway.

Nothing new, but I can't stop saying it: this game is utterly awesome.

fresquito said:
Could you explain in detail? I've never used restone (although I have a lot lying around).

Today I created my first minecart track. It's an overworld thing and it' utterly awesome. It goes from my house, directly over a gigantic hill in front of it. Once there I've seen there're other awesome hills in the horizon that I could connect through a railway.

Nothing new, but I can't stop saying it: this game is utterly awesome.
iam not at home right now and i cant test it here but if you know theoretical informatics you can do it with the minecraft wiki ._.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits
you should try to build a 4 bit bitshifter that shifts the combination 0001 and use the doors as the output display ^^

see page 5 for the JK FlipFlop 4bit rightshifter plan: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/fakei/fileadmin/template/fg/fke_fke/pdf_zip/VA_EP7_2006.pdf

Mike M

Nick N
So after fooling around with the creative mode for the last week, I finally took the plunge and paid for the Alpha version.

My very first world generated seems to be a doozy. My spawn point was in the middle of a sand pit, and right next to a cave. I found gold ore two blocks down in the sand. There are maybe half a dozen such openings of various sizes really quite close to my spawn point. I haven't gone in to any of them, so I don't know how big or deep or interconnected they might be. Only monsters I've seen are a creeper way off in the distance, and something burning up in the sunlight when dawn broke. Which is good, because I'm still defenseless.

Really eager to get building, but my wife is working from home due to morning sickness, and she abhors me to play games and ignore her, so I've put *maybe* 20 minutes in over the past three days. Giving serious thought to getting up early to play before work.

joelseph

Mike M said:
my wife is working from home due to morning sickness, and she abhors me to play games and ignore her, so I've put *maybe* 20 minutes in over the past three days. Giving serious thought to getting up early to play before work.

Your wife demands you pay attention to her the entire day? That sounds terrible!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Haven't played Minecraft in a couple weeks. Damn you, Halo Reach! I know I'll get back to it eventually, though. I don't think of Minecraft as just a game, anymore. My play time might ebb and flow, but it is now a part of my life... it's just something I do :lol

maniac-kun said:
Status update from Notch:

http://notch.tumblr.com/

So when his company is ready Minecraft will get a ton better :)

That blog post is EXACTLY what I was saying in this topic a few pages back, I'd like to point out. Too lazy to dig it up and quote myself though. I essentially said that seemingly little things like hiring chew up a HUGE number of work hours. I even speculated that Notch didn't know how much work it was going to be. Nice to be proven right. :D

Anyone that has ever apartment hunted should understand how much time searching for an office takes. You could easily spend several full days doing nothing but that. Let alone all the other necessary meetings. Those are all days spent not coding.

I'm in love with this game. I haven't been absorbed into a single game this much for years.

Things I'd like to see in the future.

-I'd like a gradual shift in seasons, would love to see my world brown with autumn and white with winter.

-I'd like it to rain sometimes.

-I'd like more rare, unique and interesting minerals. Some could be used to make different coloured or brighter torchlights, or torches with an interesting area effect (ie Stick + Coal + Nuclanium = Green radioactive torch that area-effect damages both the player and enemies; Stick + Coal + Aquanium = Creates a bubble that repels water).

-I'd like fish, so I can make an aquarium.

-Stained glass.

-In deeper darker caves, their should be enemies more terrifying, rare and dangerous than those on the surface. A Spider Queen would be interesting, for example.

-The monster spawn-cages are a great idea. I'd like more buried secrets.

-Another liquid, say Tar. You can even stick it on the ground and have monsters get stuck on it.

-I'd like a block that, when somehow charged, glows with a brilliant white light.

-I'd like the ability to somehow domesticate the giant spiders (perhaps by defeating the queen) and ride them.

Rainier

What the game also needs are in-depth stats. Time played, how many of each block used, all that cool stuff that I can then print out and show my wife/co-workers why I've been missing for the last few weeks. I think I'm averaging 10-12 hours a day playing Minecraft. No other game has sucked me in like this.

Ramma2

I'd like to see an update where gravity applies to structures, patched in without warning so all these ridiculous monstrosities come crashing down :lol

It would be cool to have to build while minding structural integrity. Different materials could span different length gaps before they needed support.

Mike M

Nick N
joelseph said:
Your wife demands you pay attention to her the entire day? That sounds terrible!

When our time at home overlaps, it's nice to spend time together and not doing the shit we'd be doing if the other person wasn't there, yeah.

Leunam

Am I the only person that wants NPC villages? They don't even have to build anything. The loneliness can just be killer sometimes. :I

Vlad

Rainier said:
What the game also needs are in-depth stats. Time played, how many of each block used, all that cool stuff that I can then print out and show my wife/co-workers why I've been missing for the last few weeks. I think I'm averaging 10-12 hours a day playing Minecraft. No other game has sucked me in like this.

Yeah, that would be a mixed blessing. I'm curious, but the more I think about it, I really don't want to know how many hours this game has sucked away from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom