• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
Animal said:
OK that video did it for me. Where do I get the game? The official site is down.
You wait until it comes back up. Hopefully he has time to find out what's wrong with the server soon... Also bear in mind you won't be creating anything like that, in the free classic mode or the paid alpha mode, unless you have weeks/months to spare or use an external utility. :p Unless there are server mod magicks that I don't know about. I know one classic server I'd play on had a cuboid command and maybe some commands for quickly filling in areas, but I don't know how that would help much with a large intricate open structure.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Okay guys, hate to burst your bubble, that Enterprise was probably created from some sort of automated process. Let's check the facts.

1.) The blocks are systematically placed every 4 layers. Yet his "scaffolding" only exists on layers where blocks are already present. You can't just lay down blocks in midair. If this was done by hand, he'd have more extensive scaffolding with things like steps or ladders or something. That "scaffolding" is probably just artifacts from the conversion process. Why would he destroy the scaffolding that allows him to work upwards and yet leave weird hanging scaffolding that lets him build outwards?

2.) The thing is basically perfectly made. Having already spent hours making the Colossus stadium by hand, I know that human error plays a major part in how you approach a massive project in Minecraft. All it takes is one or two misplaced blocks and you can have some very far-reaching consequences. There's no way he perfectly replicated the decks of the enterprise. You would have to be some sort of.... machine.

3.) Okay, so let's assume for a moment that he's some sort of Asperger's kid with strange priority quirks in regards to how he works on scaffolding and he's able to perfectly map out the Enterprise with next to zero human error and he has all the time to kill to do all this. So then, why does he need the suggested thirty people to fill out the rest of the ship? If he's able to do all that kind of work by himself, why does he need a small army to finish it up?

So are automated methods available? Seems like it. The minecraft map editor "Omen" was probably used, which includes an "import from PNG" option that allows you to place entire layers of whatever you want down. So more than likely, he took some sort of 3D wireframe model of the enterprise and found a way to break it down into decks, and then used Omen to fill it out. The fact that he starts out in a huge hollowed out hole already supports the theory that Omen had to be used in some capacity. Simply clearing out the land for the Colossus probably took something like 50-100 man hours, and even with the time saved in creative mode, a hole of that size would easily have to take hundreds to thousands of man hours.

Now the whole breaking down each layer of the ship into PNGs would still require a lot of work. But is this kid some sort of minecraft savant that has the hundreds of hours available to kill making a perfect to-scale model of the Enterprise with no automation whatsoever? Probably not.

r1chard

That Enterprise is damned impressive - but got me thinking... the map file format is open, right? People are creating all manner of tools to display maps in other ways. So it's conceivable that with the right source data you could generate map content using pretty much any 3D model data...

Edit: ... er, kinda what ZealousD said ;-)

Timan

Developer
Wish it'd get back up, so i can finish the giant toilet :p stadium coming out pretty nice. Make sure you all check out the exec box.

ZealousD said:
Okay guys, hate to burst your bubble, that Enterprise was probably created from some sort of automated process. Let's check the facts.

1.) The blocks are systematically placed every 4 layers. Yet his "scaffolding" only exists on layers where blocks are already present. You can't just lay down blocks in midair. If this was done by hand, he'd have more extensive scaffolding with things like steps or ladders or something. That "scaffolding" is probably just artifacts from the conversion process. Why would he destroy the scaffolding that allows him to work upwards and yet leave weird hanging scaffolding that lets him build outwards?

2.) The thing is basically perfectly made. Having already spent hours making the Colossus stadium by hand, I know that human error plays a major part in how you approach a massive project in Minecraft. All it takes is one or two misplaced blocks and you can have some very far-reaching consequences. There's no way he perfectly replicated the decks of the enterprise. You would have to be some sort of.... machine.

3.) Okay, so let's assume for a moment that he's some sort of Asperger's kid with strange priority quirks in regards to how he works on scaffolding and he's able to perfectly map out the Enterprise with next to zero human error and he has all the time to kill to do all this. So then, why does he need the suggested thirty people to fill out the rest of the ship? If he's able to do all that kind of work by himself, why does he need a small army to finish it up?

So are automated methods available? Seems like it. The minecraft map editor "Omen" was probably used, which includes an "import from PNG" option that allows you to place entire layers of whatever you want down. So more than likely, he took some sort of 3D wireframe model of the enterprise and found a way to break it down into decks, and then used Omen to fill it out. The fact that he starts out in a huge hollowed out hole already supports the theory that Omen had to be used in some capacity. Simply clearing out the land for the Colossus probably took something like 50-100 man hours, and even with the time saved in creative mode, a hole of that size would easily have to take hundreds to thousands of man hours.

Now the whole breaking down each layer of the ship into PNGs would still require a lot of work. But is this kid some sort of minecraft savant that has the hundreds of hours available to kill making a perfect to-scale model of the Enterprise with no automation whatsoever? Probably not.

STOP RUINING THE DREAM

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Here's your confirmation that the Enterprise was built by an automated process. Straight from the horse's mouth.

Thanks for all the warm kudos. I'll take some time to tell you guys about how I made the ship and what my plans are for it.

I've always wanted to make a 1:1 scale model of the Enterprise-D. Even when I was a kid, I thought how cool it would be to build the ship and live in it. One project I embarked on about a year ago was to build a 1:1 scale model of the enterprise in Sketchup. I got pretty far too.

Sadly, my hard drive blew and I lost six months of work. The only thing I had was my original framework and It was just too painful to start over. One of the things that was not lost was the deck plans and a nice computer-friendly vector format, converted from the Whitefire plans (Not the Okuda ones). The plans are pretty rough, but workable. One day I need to go through and clean them up.

The Minecraft world uses 1m^3 blocks, ans so, I simply converted my already scaled plans into a format that minecraft could take and imported each deck in batch, leaving 4 spaces in between for walls

The original Enterprise is 642.5 Meters x 467.0 Meters x 137.5 Meters. This is about 3m per deck. Sadly, with the 1m deck you have to walk on, that only leaves 2m left over for hallway space. As your character is only 1.7m tall, you will be bumping your head around a lot. I decided to make the ship 22% bigger, so I could have 4 m per deck. That puts the final size @ 785m x 570m x 168m. I made my "pit" 800x600x180 to fit all 42 decks and almost made a critical error, as even though there are 42 decks on the enterprise, the 2nd deck is split into two half-decks, making actually 43. I made the pit bigger than she ship so I could have a little wiggle room and just missed making it too shallow. In my testing, the halls can get a little cramped. The current decks are just a guideline and framework. They don't call it "Creative Mode" for nothing.

The halls are going to be sand-obsidian-sand (To give that light brown look with the black touch panel in the center) I'd show a demo, but Minecraft is down. I would like to mod my server so that sand doesn't fall. That would bee cool. I also don't know how to fly yet, will be making it much easier to work on the ship.

This is on a creative server. I would love to put it on Alpha, but Notch limits the game depth to 128m now, which is 40m too shallow. I'll lose 10 decks. Maybe I can convince him to up the limit to 256m with the project

There are still some things to work out.

1) I need to turn flying on.
2) I need to model and import the warp nacelles, just so I have the framework there.
3) I need to make a dirt floor so people can start building scaffolding from the bottom. (You can't plant blocks on Adminium)
4) I would live to get rid of the Admininum walls.
5) I should put this online so people can help. I need to come up with a pretty solid ant-griefing policy and need many like-minded people so I don't wind up with cocks in the shuttlebays.

Any questions?

ZealousD said:

Trekkies are not Autistic, they are Virgins.

2z4l2l0.jpg

Spawned next to a pretty unique rock formation and decided it would be my home.

264g83k.png

Built a house out of glass and waterfalls. I have not seen this yet, so I though I would share :)

2rc7cbc.jpg

Interior shot. I took out the glass from the interior. its now more AWESOMER

2gybv3n.jpg

Not sure how to make a spawner trap yet. It's a skeleton spawner too.
halp

r1chard

Pookaki said:
Spawned next to a pretty unique rock formation and decided it would be my home.

Nice start location and awesome house! I've started about a dozen maps and not seen a start location that good. I've still never seen a spawner :-(

OK, here's my first attempt at being creative. Building an arboretum right down at the bottom of the map (yes, those are bedrock blocks)...

20100928-ptw1e9hk95by6swkqh6ynw9d2s.preview.jpg

It's an arch shape and I'm intending to extend it out to make it a longer hall.

It took me quite a while because there's a massive lava pool on other side that goes about half-way up the wall and blocking it all off took a while (and a few accidental deaths by fire before I built my local extinguishing pool :)

Fireblend

Banned
Well shit, I really want to play this game, and my payment issues haven't been solved yet :( it was like 5 days ago too (got charged 4 times, and no game D:) guess I just have to wait. Any of you got any experience on getting support through payment@mojang.com?

This sucks :(

drizzle

Axel Hertz
ZealousD said:
He needs 30 people to FILL IT UP. You know, walls, floors, actual stuff.

The fact that he used something to create the framework is probably true, but so what? Still amazing what you can accomplish with the game.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Metalic Sand said:
That video makes me wonder what that ullilialia guy would do.

Probably find every bug beyond imaginable, make an awesome video about it narrated by one of the greatest people ever

r1chard

Got sick of walking / swimming all the way from my spawn to my base so I've started Yet Another Map. This time I generated and generated until the spawn was in a good spot. Yes, I probably should've done this from the start but "good spot" is hard to define until you've played it a bit (in your own style..)

Brashnir

r1chard said:
Got sick of walking / swimming all the way from my spawn to my base so I've started Yet Another Map. This time I generated and generated until the spawn was in a good spot. Yes, I probably should've done this from the start but "good spot" is hard to define until you've played it a bit (in your own style..)

yeah, I just started a new game because I didn't like my spawn point in my old one.

This time when I spawned, the first thing I did was to dig out the 8 squares around the one I spawned on, and then stacked those 8 blocks in stacks 2 high at the corners, so I could find my spawn point later without having to kill myself.

Code:
S     S
 X X X
 X 0 X
 X X X
S     S

Then after I started a mine and dug out enough cobblestone, I built a little house around the spawn point. I put a chest inside so I can put some spare weapons and armor in there as I get them.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Can I play from another PC if I download the .exe? Are my save files saved online?

Vorador

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Can I play from another PC if I download the .exe? Are my save files saved online?

Yes and no. The saves are on your local profile on the computer. You can copy them and drop them on the other pc and will work.

Philthy

That Enterprise will be amazing when it's completed and you have 50 people all wandering around within it.

I mean, it's amazing something like that is even possible in this engine to begin with. I don't really care that he imported the frame, it's the fact that this is even possible and people are going to spend the time to complete it together is just... insanely awesome.

Flambe

r1chard said:

:lol Yeah I'm a good few minutes away from my spawn, so I went back to it and built up an enclosing wall and now I'm building a skyway for safe transit =] Wonder if I can have it dip into the ocean with a glass-window part hmm..

What happens when you build something that obstructs the spawn area? Like if I made a big solid 10x10 cube over where I spawn. Would it spawn me on top of it or delete the blocks to make room for me or what?

Flambe said:
:lol Yeah I'm a good few minutes away from my spawn, so I went back to it and built up an enclosing wall and now I'm building a skyway for safe transit =] Wonder if I can have it dip into the ocean with a glass-window part hmm..
i created a rollercoster at the spawn to my main base that should do the trick and its fun (have a chest with a minecart ready :lol )

Vlad

Aquavelvaman said:
What happens when you build something that obstructs the spawn area? Like if I made a big solid 10x10 cube over where I spawn. Would it spawn me on top of it or delete the blocks to make room for me or what?

I marked my spawn with a two-block-high pillar of sand, and when I died, I respawned on top of it, so it looks like the game places you at the next highest available point above the spawn coordinates.

This game is amazing. I picked it up last Friday as work was nearing and end. Had four co workers around me laughing as I struggled how to even chop down one block. Hahah I had no idea I had to hold the mouse button. Sure enough everyone was interested and watching my clumsy progression for an hour. We all had to leave to meet up for another co workers going away party but I could already tell I was hooked.

As soon as I had a chance the next day I put in some serious play time. It is so addiciting. I messed around on a private server I put up with a friend but the single player is where it is at right now. I can't wait to go home and try to make some of those mob traps and start building some proper structures.

It is like living in some sort of simplified Lego world, only more awesome.

r1chard

Brashnir said:
This time when I spawned, the first thing I did was to dig out the 8 squares around the one I spawned on, and then stacked those 8 blocks in stacks 2 high at the corners, so I could find my spawn point later without having to kill myself.
Heh, I did the same thing :)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Brashnir said:
Or you could just make a compass?

lethial said:
I would love to grief that.
dirdybirdy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom