• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

filipe

Razorskin said:
whats your internet speed like?

Mine at home is shit, though it's soon to be going up as I'm switching to an unlimited Cable Internet plan.

I do have the possibility of hosting the server through my school...

On my work computer (I work here). If that ever becomes a problem, I'd switch to my home computer after I switch ISP.

thefil

I would definitely join in the GAF server. Though I think it would be more interesting if we did more "wild west" style: each stake a land claim and then build magnificent edifices that intrude on eachother's property. :lol

Razorskin

----- ------
filipe said:
Mine at home is shit, though it's soon to be going up as I'm switching to an unlimited Cable Internet plan.

I do have the possibility of hosting the server through my school...

On my work computer (I work here). If that ever becomes a problem, I'd switch to my home computer after I switch ISP.

Nice.

Metallic Sand said:
Stream isnt up.

It is, I'm watching it right now.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
thefil said:
I would definitely join in the GAF server. Though I think it would be more interesting if we did more "wild west" style: each stake a land claim and then build magnificent edifices that intrude on eachother's property. :lol

I can just imagine someone staking claim and laying traps for other gaffers, If one were to tresspass on someones land. :lol

filipe

Dependent on server maintenance, map size, and the number of users, you could potentially create factions. Each takes up an area of the map for themselves. Then the rules are up to each faction. One faction griefed you? No worries, no bans will be handed out. Meet with another faction, trade gold for a temporary alliance and go attack the opposing faction together to teach them a lesson.

Oh man that'd be soooo epic.

Ferrio

Banned
I just thought of a fun multiplayer game you could make.

Get one person to make a floating cube that floats 2 spaces above the ground. The exterior would made of stone, the interior would be a mix of gravel and stone.

Then the rest of the players then take turns standing under a square and mining directly above them. If they get squashed, they lose.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
filipe said:
Dependent on server maintenance, map size, and the number of users, you could potentially create factions. Each takes up an area of the map for themselves. Then the rules are up to each faction. One faction griefed you? No worries, no bans will be handed out. Meet with another faction, trade gold for a temporary alliance and go attack the opposing faction together to teach them a lesson.

Need to have some form of cannon added to have a sort of base defense. Each cannonball would have to be crafted! So many possibilities, gets me extremely excited to the potential of this game.

thefil

filipe said:

We could set up an amazing circuit that closed all entrances to the base and flooded the entry levels with lava...

filipe

platypotamus said:
Alright, I think this is finally going to make me break down and make a paypal account. That's the only way to pay currently, yes?

I don't know about only, but it's the best way.

Ferrio

Banned
platypotamus said:
Alright, I think this is finally going to make me break down and make a paypal account. That's the only way to pay currently, yes?

Don't need to create an account.... just pay through paypal with CC... no need to register.

filipe

Anyone tries to invade my faction, and they're dealing with this!

8jHoa.png

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
filipe said:
Using Windows 7, you could use the Snipping tool. I find it better than doing a print screen as you only select the area you want to print and then it saves it right there and then.
Yeah, but I have to have the game paused in order to use the mouse outside of the window, so I can't actually hit the button without having the menu in the middle of the shot

Max

I am not Max
Cindres said:
Ctrl+Alt+PrtScrn, just live with having the windows border there.
For screenshots I use zscreen you can select just the window with or without border with shift+prtscrn or crop an image from your whole screen with ctrl+prtscrn

Very handy because it automatically hosts the image for you

MNC

I'm not really that jumped to see PvP or organised cities (Though cities are much more interesting than pvp) More to have a select group of friends discover surroundings, put up small households for the night, battle off the monsters, then make some mines, etc :D while progressing forward. Not to mention cool minetracks. Maaaan those are so awesome. But utterly expensive.

Not to mention all the things you could possibly craft. OR FARMS WITH CATTLE AND MORE KINDS OF SEEDS. This game.. Oh my.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I think making cities will be cool for this reason in multiplayer:

Not everyone likes building, not everyone likes mining, not everyone likes farming, not everyone likes hunting, etc. But everyone likes something. Everyone could do individual jobs in a city to make it go faster. Imagine a team of miners getting all the stone for the builders, and supplying people with good items. Builders providing good looking cities, hunters providing food/arrow/supplies.

I think that would be cool. Me? I'm a miner :D

I know I'll be joining a non PVP server without silly factions, tasks and rules, gaf or not. I just want to mine, build stuff and share ideas/creativity with other people.

MNC said:
I'm not really that jumped to see PvP or organised cities (Though cities are much more interesting than pvp) More to have a select group of friends discover surroundings, put up small households for the night, battle off the monsters, then make some mines, etc :D while progressing forward. Not to mention cool minetracks. Maaaan those are so awesome. But utterly expensive.

Not to mention all the things you could possibly craft. OR FARMS WITH CATTLE AND MORE KINDS OF SEEDS. This game.. Oh my.
But if you think about it, those small civilisations are likely to develop into cities over time and that's the real draw of multiplayer. Dedicated servers will evolve over time, basically becoming like a user generated mmo.

I'm really enjoying this so far, although i'm often dead before i'm out of the first stage - it can be hard finding coal, crafting simple tools, finding a place to hide, building doors, etc, before night decends. I just spent two hours making an awesome cliffside base when I heard a noise from outside, went to look through the door and saw two of those explosive zombies, they blew up, took out the door and porch and sent me flying off the cliff to my death :lol

Incidently, how do I make glass? In another one of my worlds i've built my base behind a waterfall and want a wall of glass there, but couldn't figure out how to turn the sand into glass with the furnace.

Like everyone is saying I do not think I would be into PVP, but co-op with everyone doing different tasks in the world striving to a common goal sounds awesome. There is so much potential with what could be accomplished with a ton of people chipping in.

Razorskin

----- ------
Bootaaay said:
I'm really enjoying this so far, although i'm often dead before i'm out of the first stage - it can be hard finding coal, crafting simple tools, finding a place to hide, building doors, etc, before night decends. I just spent two hours making an awesome cliffside base when I heard a noise from outside, went to look through the door and saw two of those explosive zombies, they blew up, took out the door and porch and sent me flying off the cliff to my death :lol

Incidently, how do I make glass? In another one of my worlds i've built my base behind a waterfall and want a wall of glass there, but couldn't figure out how to turn the sand into glass with the furnace.

In the furnance Put sand in the top left box and coal in the bottom right box. The box on the right is the result.

filipe

Eaten By A Grue said:
Like everyone is saying I do not think I would be into PVP, but co-op with everyone doing different tasks in the world striving to a common goal sounds awesome. There is so much potential with what could be accomplished with a ton of people chipping in.

I imagine servers will work the same as they do now. So you can jump into a server and have your choice at different maps. Maybe one map for PVP, one for Co-Op, and so on.

Kuran

Banned
I wish the game wouldnt pause when you move away from the screen, I don't want to actually do anything at night right now!

Boonoo

Kuran said:
I wish the game wouldnt pause when you move away from the screen, I don't want to actually do anything at night right now!

you should be able to go to your inventory and then alt tab out. That should keep it running.

Mkliner

Bootaaay said:

Put sand in a furnace and it makes glass

Easy_D

never left the stone age
What the, I was minding my own business, getting this island ready to build myself a nice home ready, and I heard a random female choir music, what does it mean? D:

Edit: This happened when I cleared 2 blocks on the island to level the terrain, I swam out a bit to another island and when I came back I could hear zombies just under me :(. I'm scared :lol.

filipe

Easy_D said:
What the, I was minding my own business, getting this island ready to build myself a nice home ready, and I heard a random female choir music, what does it mean? D:

Edit: This happened when I cleared 2 blocks on the island to level the terrain, I swam out a bit to another island and when I came back I could hear zombies just under me :(. I'm scared :lol.

It's just music they have. You can turn it off under options. If you travel into caves or it starts to get night, you also get some creeper music going!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
K2Valor said:
I think making cities will be cool for this reason in multiplayer:

Not everyone likes building, not everyone likes mining, not everyone likes farming, not everyone likes hunting, etc. But everyone likes something. Everyone could do individual jobs in a city to make it go faster. Imagine a team of miners getting all the stone for the builders, and supplying people with good items. Builders providing good looking cities, hunters providing food/arrow/supplies.

I think that would be cool. Me? I'm a miner :D
You know, thinking about it, this could be a really landmark game. Has anything ever offered as open-ended and freeform an online co-op/competitive/whatever experience like this before? I certainly can't think of anything.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
filipe said:
It's just music they have. You can turn it off under options. If you travel into caves or it starts to get night, you also get some creeper music going!
It's the first time I've heard it and I've put a couple of hours into this already. I'm aware of the cave music.

I thought I had discovered something wondrous on my little cactus island :(.

All I found was a cave filled with Zombies and then I died. It wasn't even the good kind of cave, just a regular random lame cave with no treasures.

Ferrio

Banned
The_Technomancer said:
You know, thinking about it, this could be a really landmark game. Has anything ever offered as open-ended and freeform an online co-op/competitive/whatever experience like this before? I certainly can't think of anything.

A tale in the desert (a game i got gaf to play once, we created a nice small society) reminds me a lot of this game, of course you didn't have the whole destroy/build anything you wanted... but the whole build society up in a MMO aspect does.

filipe

The_Technomancer said:

I think there have been some, but I think they were always limited in a way.

MC allows one to complete shape his world. I don't think anyone's done that.

thefil

The enemies can blow up doors?

So far I've had ZERO trouble with enemies at either entrance to my base. I've watched them jumping up and down outside but they aren't a threat. I also haven't found any underground.

I'm playing on the normal difficulty, but so far "survival" is an easy objective (though I have died a few times jumping off my tower...).

*edit* Also, this game is definitely my surprise of the year. Never heard of it before yesterday and it's already consuming my mind. Between this, Starcraft II and (presumably) Civ V, this is the year of game addiction.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Easy_D said:

You sometimes get ambient music when mining towards something scary. In your case you weren't mining, just digging on the surface but... with something right underneath you it seems like the game didn't know the difference.

Because I was laboring for hours trying to figure this out:

Put coal in the bottom slot of the furnace, and whatever you want to smelt, cook etc on the top.

thefil

civilstrife said:
Because I was laboring for hours trying to figure this out:

Put coal in the bottom slot of the furnace, and whatever you want to smelt, cook etc on the top.

Wood planks also work.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I finally set up a decent farm after all this time. Shitloads of bread already.

Funnily enough, last summer i spent a week solid playing Wurm from like 11am-4am.

This summer it'll be Minecraft, but more than a week seeing as i've already played the fuck out of it for a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom