• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ramma2 said:
I'd like to see an update where gravity applies to structures, patched in without warning so all these ridiculous monstrosities come crashing down :lol

It would be cool to have to build while minding structural integrity. Different materials could span different length gaps before they needed support.
Reminds me of the time I was exploring this small desert area and went into this crack that led underground. Explored for a minute until the roof (which was all sand) just gave way and fell on me and I died. It was like the game all of a sudden remembered, "Oh yeah, gravity affects sand!"

Gui_PT said:
A friend asked if there was night/day and enemies in Multiplayer. Could anyone answer that please?

Yes and yes. Though enemies in multiplayer don't really work. You can't take damage and the enemies can't die (unless you set them on fire). This will be fixed in later updates.

Ferrio

Banned
Gui_PT said:
A friend asked if there was night/day and enemies in Multiplayer. Could anyone answer that please?

Yes, sorta yes. Enemies can be enabled on servers, but they aren't since you can't kill them... which is problematic.

Ramma2 said:
I'd like to see an update where gravity applies to structures, patched in without warning so all these ridiculous monstrosities come crashing down :lol

It would be cool to have to build while minding structural integrity. Different materials could span different length gaps before they needed support.
shut up the fuck

Jo-El

Leunam said:
Am I the only person that wants NPC villages? They don't even have to build anything. The loneliness can just be killer sometimes. :I
I would like that too. Something like Animal Crossing perhaps.

kennah

Has anyone found an underwater cave yet? I haven't looked, just wondering. Be pretty neat, could pretend it's a Water Temple like Zelda.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
kennah said:
Has anyone found an underwater cave yet? I haven't looked, just wondering. Be pretty neat, could pretend it's a Water Temple like Zelda.
Well, yeah, but I didn't know it until I was trying to dig my way out of it. :lol

Mike M

Nick N
kennah said:
I found a cave in creative mode by going under water and digging straight down. Don't know if it was already flooded or if I did by cracking the ceiling open.

kennah said:

I've found several caves that have entrances above ground but eventually go deep and far enough to when I was digging myself up, I popped out in a nearby sea.

Philthy

Leunam said:
Am I the only person that wants NPC villages? They don't even have to build anything. The loneliness can just be killer sometimes. :I

You need to find a server to hang out on. This game goes from amazing to freaking unbelievable on a good server. You don't even have to talk to anyone, just seeing conversations going by, and people doing their own thing is more than enough to elevate this game another 10 levels of awesome.

But, yes, for those times when SMP is down, or I'm not connected, I'd like to see NPCs. Notch has said many times this was supposed to end up being a 3D version of Dwarf Fortress. It may or may not go that direction, but from everything he is CURRENTLY stating, it's something that can eventually be modded in by others. NPCs you give simple orders to. Build a prefab house design, go collect stone, mine until you find diamonds, protect the perimeter of specified area. It should be very simple for someone to make 'bots' for this game when Notch adds in the scripting. The bots people have made for Diablo and such are amazing, we probably will be amazed what they'll do with Minecraft. People have already modded in stores on their servers already, where certain stones are more valuable as 'money' and you donate them into a bin. Then you can buy stones that you want for a certain price with the money you just made.

This game. Will be absolutely insane. Eventually.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
maniac-kun said:
iam not at home right now and i cant test it here but if you know theoretical informatics you can do it with the minecraft wiki ._.

http://minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Redstone_circuits
you should try to build a 4 bit bitshifter that shifts the combination 0001 and use the doors as the output display ^^

see page 5 for the JK FlipFlop 4bit rightshifter plan: http://www.tu-ilmenau.de/fakei/fileadmin/template/fg/fke_fke/pdf_zip/VA_EP7_2006.pdf

Somebody already made that, but with torches. And it was even a gaffer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkjQAo77I6c

On some of the related videos, you can see where he changed the texture pack to something that would resemble a display better.

Tougher monsters that only spawn deep underground seems like an obvious addition. Cave exploring is still my favorite part of the game, and fleshing out the dungeon-crawling "roguelike" aspects of the game would be awesome for those of us who love that part of the game. In fact, if we could run into proper "dungeons" underground, not just the single-room kind they have now, but manmade underground rooms and hallways filled with deadly monsters and treasure - that would be awesome.

Edit: This is where I'd like to build next, on that crazy cliff jutting out to the left of the cursor.

jijsdd.jpg

That thing to the right of the cursor is neat too, but that'll come later. When you stand on top of that mountain on the left, you can walk through clouds. I built a stone tower in the center of the mountaintop, to measure the distance to the build ceiling, which you can see poking up out of the clouds on the left. My first thought was to make a castle on top of the cliff that juts way out to the right, but I won't be able to build it very tall. My second thought was to make a statue or something built into the cliff face, like one of them bitches on the front of a ship. That'll be a challenge for sure; I don't know of any way to build scaffolding from the top going down, so I'll have to build up from the ground below instead.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Parallax Scroll said:
Tougher monsters that only spawn deep underground seems like an obvious addition. Cave exploring is still my favorite part of the game, and fleshing out the dungeon-crawling "roguelike" aspects of the game would be awesome for those of us who love that part of the game. In fact, if we could run into proper "dungeons" underground, not just the single-room kind they have now, but manmade underground rooms and hallways filled with deadly monsters and treasure - that would be awesome.
the dwarves delved too deep....

I dig this game (no pun intended). But I need a goal, not necessary an end, but some sort of progression. If not that, then more. More everything, monsters, creatures, caves, minerals, tools.

give me MOAR.

commissar

Pookaki said:
I dig this game (no pun intended). But I need a goal, not necessary an end, but some sort of progression. If not that, then more. More everything, monsters, creatures, caves, minerals, tools.

give me MOAR.
airport. castle with moat. relaxing sculptured gardens. underwater base. link some mountains with bridges. a seaside village with docks. large mansion with fountain in inner courtyard. roman baths. giant pirate ship anchored off shore. floating island surrounded by clouds (wool) a la laputa. giant mineshaft to bedrock with rope (fence). off shore oil rig with hilariously difficult to clean obsidian spill.

there's some goals for you, best of luck!

Tobor

As long as we're expressing our desires, I just want more mechanical devices. Pulleys, levers, rope, and most importantly, wheels. Wheels would open up vehicles, and then...

/dreams

Twig

Banned
I just want more exploratory elements.

Biomes. Monster towns. Etc.

Oh wait, he's already working on those. I win! Nyah nyah!

commissar said:
airport. castle with moat. relaxing sculptured gardens. underwater base. link some mountains with bridges. a seaside village with docks. large mansion with fountain in inner courtyard. roman baths. giant pirate ship anchored off shore. floating island surrounded by clouds (wool) a la laputa. giant mineshaft to bedrock with rope (fence). off shore oil rig with hilariously difficult to clean obsidian spill.

there's some goals for you, best of luck!

What do I get for all this hard work? Personal satisfaction? That's not enough! The modern gamer in me needs something.

I know, I know, its pathetic. :lol

Pookaki said:
What do I get for all this hard work? Personal satisfaction? That's not enough! The modern gamer in me needs something.

Praise and admiration of your architectural prowess from your Minecrafting peers once you've completed your building projects and shared the results here ;)

commissar

Pookaki said:

I know, I know, its pathetic. :lol
if you post pictures of the buildings, I will post a picture of a biscuit as a reward. you may imagine yourself eating it.

ZZMitch

Tobor said:
As long as we're expressing our desires, I just want more mechanical devices. Pulleys, levers, rope, and most importantly, wheels. Wheels would open up vehicles, and then...

/dreams

Civcraft

NewFresh

Just got kicked out of my first multiplayer game game. I was playing around with some guy, building blocks around each other and stuff, and all of a sudden he went 12 y/o halo player on me and started swearing like crazy. Next thing I knew I was kicked

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Tobor said:
Why the fuck don't we have trapdoors, is what I wonder. I mean, we have pressure plates, automatically open doors, levers, but no Trapdoors?

Dragmire

Jo-El said:
I would like that too. Something like Animal Crossing perhaps.
Hmm, that could really be cool. Houses could pop up around your world with NPCs that can give you quests, errands, trade items (furniture?) and stuff, and just talk to you. And if you're mean to them, they could move away, or if you really hate them you could kill them. Of course, they'll probably fight back (or run). That could be really awesome. In fact, there could be underground NPCs that carve out little dungeon-like homes. Like dwarves, or just strange characters like some reclusive person. I know the Animal Crossing haters probably hate this idea, but I think it could be cool.

I'd like to be able to assign a building with a function, and then have an NPC spawned to automatically carry out that function - for instance, if you construct a building with a forge and a wheat farm an NPC would then be spawned to harvest the wheat and bake loafs of bread for the player to trade/purchase.

I basically want to create a whole little village and be able to populate it with NPC's - you could have requirements for a settlement (shelter, sources of food, sources of fresh water, sources of light to stop monsters attacking etc) and then once those requirements are met you would be able to start attracting NPC's to populate and run the various buildings in your settlement.

Belfast

Ugh. These black-screens-of-death are really hurting my enthusiasm for the game. :\

Yep, just lost half my Redstone, all my Ore (Iron/Gold mostly), and most of my Cobblestone when I black-screened while trying to transfer it to my storage chest.

I had a lot last night, too, when the game decided it was going to black-screen me deep in a cave. When I spawned back, I was in the middle of un-broken rock and suffocated to death. Ran back to the area where I was digging only to find that most of it reverted to its un-dug state and I had no chance of recovering anything.

durendal

fallengorn said:
Reminds me of the time I was exploring this small desert area and went into this crack that led underground. Explored for a minute until the roof (which was all sand) just gave way and fell on me and I died. It was like the game all of a sudden remembered, "Oh yeah, gravity affects sand!"

I've seen this too, except I was on top of the sand. I was digging by the ocean, then everything just dropped:
minecraftSinkhole03.png

minecraftSinkhole02.png

I'm amazed at how much you can build by working just a little bit (hah!), each day. I feel like I've actually done a lot with my time, unlike some other games that just feel like a complete waste. I haven't even done all that much exploring either.

My Tower:
minecraftTowerNight.png

Inside:
minecraftTowerNight02.png

The ice rink:
minecraftRinkNight.png

Twig

Banned
If you dig even one block of sand, all sand that is connected to it will remember what gravity is. Same for gravel.

Ferrio said:
Not even remotely possible now.

There is a dude designing and making the fucking innards of a computer in Minecraft. It's not that far fetched.

Imagine that shit - he's making a (very crude, but still!) PC emulater out of sticks, wood, fire and stone! :lol

BooJoh

FoxHimself said:
There is a dude designing and making the fucking innards of a computer in Minecraft. It's not that far fetched.

Imagine that shit - he's making a (very crude, but still!) PC emulater out of sticks, wood, fire and stone! :lol
Kinda what I'm thinking. The fact is there's output methods, input methods, and different operations you can perform. Between the scrolling LCD and the calculations the 16 bit computer can do, I'm sufficiently convinced that one could build a huge, convoluted, laggy, yet fully-working game program of some sort.

BooJoh said:
Kinda what I'm thinking. The fact is there's output methods, input methods, and different operations you can perform. Between the scrolling LCD and the calculations the 16 bit computer can do, I'm sufficiently convinced that one could build a huge, convoluted, laggy, yet fully-working game program of some sort.

Maybe i'm thinking to simple, but it seems to me like a giant "screen" made of doors would be pretty cool for a display. Opening and closing based on a complicated network of buttons to display "images".

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
HadesGigas said:
Maybe i'm thinking to simple, but it seems to me like a giant "screen" made of doors would be pretty cool for a display. Opening and closing based on a complicated network of buttons to display "images".
It'd be awesome if Notch added special blocks that would change colors from black to white when activated through Redstone. Then people would be able to create awesome displays.

r1chard

I've finally managed a map with some interesting geo formations near my front door :)

MinecraftScreenSnapz001.png

On the right is the little building around my spawn point; inside is the shaft I've dug down to the bedrock. Don't look too closely at the architecture - I'm still trying to figure it out :)

Turning 180º on the spot I see this cool arch:
MinecraftScreenSnapz002.png

And just wandering about 50m in a random direction I find tunnels like this:
MinecraftScreenSnapz004.png

Tons of caves, some of which appear to go quite deep. There's way more of this sort of formation than I've had in any previous map. I guess the random generator liked me this time :)

Lots of exploring fun is going to be had here :)

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Parallax Scroll said:

Edit: This is where I'd like to build next, on that crazy cliff jutting out to the left of the cursor.

jijsdd.jpg

That thing to the right of the cursor is neat too, but that'll come later. When you stand on top of that mountain on the left, you can walk through clouds. I built a stone tower in the center of the mountaintop, to measure the distance to the build ceiling, which you can see poking up out of the clouds on the left. My first thought was to make a castle on top of the cliff that juts way out to the right, but I won't be able to build it very tall. My second thought was to make a statue or something built into the cliff face, like one of them bitches on the front of a ship. That'll be a challenge for sure; I don't know of any way to build scaffolding from the top going down, so I'll have to build up from the ground below instead.

Cool looking mountain indeed!

BTW guys, are monsters attracted to something in particular? Like, why the fuck do they all go EXACTLY where I am staying at night? They always know where I am? If so, that's not fair!

Are bows good to fight off creepers? How many hits would it take to kill one?

And what is the best way to get some metal? I have two small pieces of black metal (iron?).

Blizzard

Banned
As far as I know, monsters spawn no closer than (some distance, not sure exactly) to you, and then head straight for you at night, for the most part. At least, if they're out in the open.

By the way, I just skimmed Notch's Twitter, and it looks like one of the latest things he wants to do is add achievements to Minecraft as a way to (at least in part) teach how the game works, to people.

Hylian7

I've been playing this for the last few days. The monster aspect really adds pressure on building stuff, which is MUCH better than just free, pressureless building. Something I would like to see is more aggressive mobs, like maybe mobs that can break through structures occasionally? This would make all those elaborate Redstone alarm schematics useful.

HadesGigas said:

A friend of mine told me that there is something like a 300 horizontal block limit, simply because thats beyond the game's draw distance, and so any redstone wire/torches placed beyond that won't report anything back.

Log4Girlz

Ether_Snake said:
Cool looking mountain indeed!

BTW guys, are monsters attracted to something in particular? Like, why the fuck do they all go EXACTLY where I am staying at night? They always know where I am? If so, that's not fair!

Are bows good to fight off creepers? How many hits would it take to kill one?

And what is the best way to get some metal? I have two small pieces of black metal (iron?).

Bows and arrows are the machine guns of Minecraft, make lots of arrows.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
But it's stupid I can't make arrow heads made of stone:| I can barely find any iron so far. I haven't dug deep yet though.

Blizzard

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
But it's stupid I can't make arrow heads made of stone:| I can barely find any iron so far. I haven't dug deep yet though.
You should be able to find iron if you find caves on hillsides and then follow them into the depths of the earth, digging wherever you find ore. (or, you can use one of the patterened "dig down and cover every single block" methods I guess?)

You should also be able to make arrows by using flint for arrowheads. Flint is quite common if you find gravel and dig it. Just be careful not to dig underneath gravel, since like sand, it will fall on your head and kill you.

stressboy

Ether_Snake said:

Mine gravel for flint. Then stack the gravel back up, and dig it up again. It will keep spitting out flint. You will have a full stack of arrows in no time.

Pinko Marx said:
A friend of mine told me that there is something like a 300 horizontal block limit, simply because thats beyond the game's draw distance, and so any redstone wire/torches placed beyond that won't report anything back.

The worlds in minecraft are divided into 300 blocks^3 chunks. Only the chunk you are in is 'active'. So stuff doesn't happen outside that zone. I think you can see beyond the 300 block limit if your sight limit is set to far though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom