• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Blizzard said:
You should be able to find iron if you find caves on hillsides and then follow them into the depths of the earth, digging wherever you find ore. (or, you can use one of the patterened "dig down and cover every single block" methods I guess?)

You should also be able to make arrows by using flint for arrowheads. Flint is quite common if you find gravel and dig it. Just be careful not to dig underneath gravel, since like sand, it will fall on your head and kill you.

I have some flint, but's rare. Takes a lot of gravel blocks to mine to get a flint. Also, what the heck do I do with gravel? Shit seems useless. Can I lay it down and re-mine it to potentially get flint?

stressboy said:
Mine gravel for flint. Then stack the gravel back up, and dig it up again. It will keep spitting out flint. You will have a full stack of arrows in no time.

Oh great! Fucking creepers will die.

BTW my world has very little water so far (only found one waterfall), lots of hills and trees.

What happens if I keep mining the part where water comes from? It seems to come out of nowhere. I'm afraid if I mine too much of the rock it comes from it will disappear.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
r1chard said:
The rare one for me is the string. Feathers and flint are easy. The damn string? I wish I could turn wool into string...

Do like me. Build trenches around you house, two blocks wide, three blocks deep or so. At night monsters come and fall and stay stuck in the ditch. Next morning, kill the spiders stuck in them by attacking from your high ground, and collect all loot.

But yeah they are still rare.

It's dumb it can't be made out of wool really. Should just be short-lived.

Sciz

Ether_Snake said:
What happens if I keep mining the part where water comes from? It seems to come out of nowhere. I'm afraid if I mine too much of the rock it comes from it will disappear.
Water spawns from specific water source blocks. You can't mine it away, you'd have to pick it up with a bucket or drop a block on its position.

stressboy

Ether_Snake said:
BTW my world has very little water so far (only found one waterfall), lots of hills and trees.

If you need water, there are ways to make an infinite water source with just a few buckets of it. Also, if you wander far enough you should come across an ocean or a lake.

fresquito

Ether_Snake said:
Also, what the heck do I do with gravel? Shit seems useless. Can I lay it down and re-mine it to potentially get flint?
Yes, you can. I use gravel to make big pillars for my minecart railway.

Log4Girlz

Sigh, the game froze and the save file i've been working on for dozens of hours is corrupted it appears *goes to cry in the corner*

Log4Girlz said:
Sigh, the game froze and the save file i've been working on for dozens of hours is corrupted it appears *goes to cry in the corner*

Does your save no longer appear in the load menu? If so, try to create a new save on top of your old one - sometimes it will spawn you on your old save, but in a different location. I had this happen to me, and it spawned me half way across a huge continent - I didn't even realise I was playing on my old save until I explored a bit and found the settlement I previously built.

Rapstah

Bootaaay said:
Does your save no longer appear in the load menu? If so, try to create a new save on top of your old one - sometimes it will spawn you on your old save, but in a different location. I had this happen to me, and it spawned me half way across a huge continent - I didn't even realise I was playing on my old save until I explored a bit and found the settlement I previously built.
I can imagine that that could be really scary.

trinest

I just bought this game- shame it doesn't run with out lagging on my laptop :/.....

Might shove it on the media center or something.

Bootaaay said:
I had this happen to me, and it spawned me half way across a huge continent - I didn't even realise I was playing on my old save until I explored a bit and found the settlement I previously built.
6a00d8341c7a0853ef0133ed60f4f3970b-800wi

I just bought this game also - my friend was raving about it, and it finally made me bite the bullet.

I find it... Strangely engrossing. I actually had to pry myself away from playing it.

lumberjack

Neo Member
A great feature would be if there were ever steam cloud support it could take other people saves and when u go to create a new world it just loads up there world and spawns you in a different place so u would just be walking around and you find some long lost civilization was built here. Would be killer!!!!

Mike M

Nick N
Finally started mining today after building a corridor to the nearest cave and lighting it with torches to keep the monsters from getting in or spawning behind me.

Turned out to be less of a cave and more of a quarry. Lots of gravel, small amount of coal, plus some gold ore. Cleared out all the gravel and coal, going to have to come back for the gold when I find some iron first.

Not sure what to do with all this gravel. I don't think I want to build with it, and I mostly deal with monsters by building fortified causeways to get around, so I don't really need arrowheads. What else can you do with flint?

My computer locked up yesterday while watching a movie and playing my world3. I rebooted and when I loaded MC world 3 said empty. I opened world3 and the spawn looked nothing like my old spawn. I thought my world disappeared.

I started a new game on world1, 10 mins in after I built my hiding hole for the night the game crashed again. I opened world1 and it looked destroyed too. I started some new construction, when I went to scout for some coal I found my original hiding hole. I closed that world and checked world3, my spawn had moved but the world was fine. My huge fortress was still intact.

I learned how to back up save games today just in case, don't want that scare to happen again.

Blizzard

Banned
For people with save problems, that's scary, and if all else fails you can try shooting Notch an email and include (if I recall correctly) your world.dat file. He might ask for your zipped world. I've sent him two emails about something unrelated to a save file and not gotten a response, so I don't know if he'd actually read it though, at least not until he gets his business stuff figured out.

And yeah, zipping your save file folder as a backup is a really good idea.

Mike M said:
Finally started mining today after building a corridor to the nearest cave and lighting it with torches to keep the monsters from getting in or spawning behind me.

Turned out to be less of a cave and more of a quarry. Lots of gravel, small amount of coal, plus some gold ore. Cleared out all the gravel and coal, going to have to come back for the gold when I find some iron first.

Not sure what to do with all this gravel. I don't think I want to build with it, and I mostly deal with monsters by building fortified causeways to get around, so I don't really need arrowheads. What else can you do with flint?
I didn't know about the gravel err, "glitch". :D Thanks for the tip. Re-mining for flint is a good use for gravel, then. Also, I don't know if gravel works the same way as sand, but I think there are some sort of tricks for using sand, torches, and maybe redstone as flood protection, so if you like tricky machines you might try it.

I think the idea is something like, use a torch on the wall under sand (gravel?) to prevent it from falling. This can be in a doorway or something. Then, if floodwaters show up and touch the torch, it will go out but the sand will fall and seal the water off. I don't know if water flows through sand/gravel though, so maybe gravel IS useless except for decoration. :p

To get strings for arrows, by the way, the best way is to find a spider dungeon and make it into a string dispenser. I hate spiders and killed the spawner when I found such a dungeon though, oh well!

JoeBoy101

Picked it up last night and I expected it to be very engrossing. What was questionable was whether it would last. After finishing a decent sized house for myself (2 floors and an underground vault, all on top of a natural spire), I thought I would lose interest, as I can often do with games. Yet... the exploration aspect started kicking it. I started planning for smaller mining houses nearby key underground entry points. Driving into work today, I started planning a minecart system that would ferry me between my locations quickly, so I don't lose sunlight. We'll see what happens after a week or two, but right now, its staying power is impressive.

Couple of immediate questions (now that I have an answer on what to do with gravel blocks):

1) Can anything be done with eggs?
2) How do you place a sloped mine track for elevation change?
3) I understand the basic concept of a dispenser: Find a monster spawner and rig a deadly trap for any that emerge. But how exactly do you do that? Drown them?

vermadas

JoeBoy101 said:
2) How do you place a sloped mine track for elevation change?

If you have a track segment on a block and then place another track segment on an adjacent block that is one block below, that track segment will slant 45º automatically.

I found my first underground cave :D.

I got bored and decided to just dig a little bit under my fortress on a mountain. I get a good bit underground and I notice I'm surrounded by dirt instead of stone and I hear a monster. I get scared. Nothing is there. I take out my shovel and start clearing the dirt. Eventually I clear a block and there is nothing behind it but darkness. I quickly equip a torch and throw it down. There is a zombie. I unsheathe my sword and dispatch of him. I'm in my first cave. I make sure to mark the entrance with 10-15 torches. I start exploring, it is a bit small, but there is quite a bit of coal and iron in here. Around the corner I see a waterfall and some lava floes. My tools are all gone. I'll be back.

fresquito

Wow, railways eat iron like candies. It's true I'm gone crazy and connected three hill tops, but still. All my hard work has vanished into railways :lol

Log4Girlz

Bootaaay said:

Omg i must try this

Dragmire

Are there other weird things you can do with your world? Like, could you merge two worlds, overwriting half the files or something, and creating a screwed up new world out of it?

vehn

Here's the Battlecruiser I've been working on the past few days. It has a bridge, armory, cantina, laboratory, fusion core, storage area and two bathrooms. Took forever to mine all that cobblestone! Had help from a few people, but the design / most of the work was all me. It's on a server from this other forum I frequent.

It also has a cobblestone maker that automatically makes cobblestone with the lava / water. You can run the script that toggles left click, go afk and collect cobblestone!

Log4Girlz

It worked! Of course I lost everything I was carrying on me. Nothing too important (I learned my lesson from losing shit in lava)..except arrows...I had just made TONS of arrows...ARG

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
vehn said:
Here's the Battlecruiser I've been working on the past few days. It has a bridge, armory, cantina, laboratory, fusion core, storage area and two bathrooms. Took forever to mine all that cobblestone! Had help from a few people, but the design / most of the work was all me. It's on a server from this other forum I frequent.

:lol

You should make a carrier next!

Dragmire

Omg, I just tried combining save files, and it created a world of half-trees, split mountains and general weirdness. I started where one of my saves was and after riding my mine cart for a while, I found one of my towers had seemingly disappeared. I ended up falling to my death and spawned in a completely new spawn area that was all patchy and weird.

v5b97k.jpg

Hard to see, but if you can tell, that tree is split in half and the mountains are split, too.

Dragmire said:
Omg, I just tried combining save files, and it created a world of half-trees, split mountains and general weirdness. I started where one of my saves was and after riding my mine cart for a while, I found one of my towers had seemingly disappeared. I ended up falling to my death and spawned in a completely new spawn area that was all patchy and weird.

v5b97k.jpg

Hard to see, but if you can tell, that tree is split in half and the mountains are split, too.

Haha, I've done this. It can be kind of fun.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
So I caved in and bought this game today.

5 hours later and I'm eagerly building my bridge to the nearby mountain and combining lava and water to mess about with it. Also discovering massive underground caves.

Fuck you Minecraft. You have basically doomed my life for the foreseeable future. ;_;

spidye

SovanJedi said:
Fuck you Minecraft. You have basically doomed my life for the foreseeable future. ;_;
this is the only reason why I haven't bought it yet. hell, I even spent 2 hours today just looking at youtube videos.
I' m never going to buy this. EVER.

I bought this yesterday. Started out on a snowy world and built a house and a big bridge connecting mountains, but I got bored of the snow.

Started a new file today in a non-snowy world and had a blast. The existing mountain architecture that I've seen so far is incredible. I built a home next to a waterfall in a valley, and one night, there was a creeper outside that exploded a bit in front of it, scaring me half to death and blowing out a huge chunk of the front yard - in which I saw a passage. Following this down, I started mining and lo and behold, the creeper had unveiled a HUMONGOUS mine that I must have dug around in for like 3 or 4 hours with my brother and there's still so much to be found. I have so much iron and ore now, a good amount of gold, and some of the red stuff (don't know what it is yet). Thanks creeper!

I meant to do a lot of things today, but before I knew it, 5 hours or so had passed without me even being aware. Really loving this game so far. I've done so much in my world so far but I've hardly even explored outside all that much. Can't wait to start exploring more places. Looking forward to building a railcart system connecting the world eventually, and starting to build some epic structures. Maybe I'll make myself a castle with connected towers, or an ewok village-esque tree house system.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
spidye said:
this is the only reason why I haven't bought it yet. hell, I even spent 2 hours today just looking at youtube videos.
I' m never going to buy this. EVER.

X's adventures in Minecraft?

if not. I recommend you do.

owlbeak

GOD DAMMIT!!

I was exploring a natural cave alllllll the way down at the bedrock for hours. Multiple paths were branching. I went into a dark new branch of the cave system and in total blackness heard the fuse noise of a creeper. I quickly threw two torches against the wall, saw this, jumped backwards, pressed print screen and then I blew up. It all happened in less than 3 seconds! :lol

11u7t6b.jpg

I'll never find that place again, let alone get down that deep again. Lots of mining straight down. >:[

r1chard

I've dabbled with landscape generation for games before but I've never come up with something that generates landscape quite as interesting as what Notch has done here.

I ran out of coal, so I figured I'd wander far and wide to search for some. On the way I took a couple of happy snaps...

MinecraftScreenSnapz006.png

MinecraftScreenSnapz007.png

What is everyone's favoured method of mining? I see some really elaborate mines on youtube, but I generally just build an hut with a glass ceiling and then drop a 5x5 shaft straight down to the bedrock, moving on to a new pit once it's complete. I find I come across less caves full of enemies that way, but it's never guaranteed I'll find some materials worth mining on the way down.

Bootaaay said:
What is everyone's favoured method of mining? I see some really elaborate mines on youtube, but I generally just build an hut with a glass ceiling and then drop a 5x5 shaft straight down to the bedrock, moving on to a new pit once it's complete. I find I come across less caves full of enemies that way, but it's never guaranteed I'll find some materials worth mining on the way down.

Find a good natural cave and explore it. It's the only way.

Building your own mine by digging down and hollowing out an area is boring as hell, and hasn't ever yielded amazing results. By just simply exploring natural caves I get the excitement of clearing out rooms full of monsters and it seems like the good stuff (coal, iron, diamond) is more frequently found in cave walls than in just random spots underground.

If I put the game on my thumb drive, would it bring my save from computer to computer? I mean, I have an itch to play it now but I would like to play my established area. I don't really feel like making a new one ):

Haunted

I'm hoping one of the future updates includes some new furniture. This game needs furniture man, furniture. But not the superfluous bookshelves kind, but actual useful stuff. Drawers and cupboards for additional storage, a bed to sleep (and regain your health) in, that kind of thing.

Also, I'll definitely build a house directly over my next spawn point, that is a great idea. Die and pop up in a safe location with a roof over your head and a chest by your side. Good stuff.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Haunted said:
Also, I'll definitely build a house directly over my next spawn point, that is a great idea. Die and pop up in a safe location with a roof over your head and a chest by your side. Good stuff.
its the little things in life that can help you get over tragedy.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
So I'm gonna start digging deeper soon. How should I prepare myself? What if monsters spawn? Am I gonna manage to somehow to defeat the spawner by putting lights around it?

Give me some tips!

I totally freaked out last night when walking outside on a field in broad day light and suddenly heard a fucking zombie going "Buuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh" out of nowhere. Was probably just under me!

Atomski

wwm0nkey said:
Way off topic and Crazy idea here but Minecraft for the 3DS, who where would buy that

This crossed my mind the other day to. What an addictive game that would be. I could just imagine me sitting around tapping the screen for ore :lol. I can't see it being very hard to optimize for the system. Just the porting and stuff.

wwm0nkey

Atomski said:
This crossed my mind the other day to. What an addictive game that would be. I could just imagine me sitting around tapping the screen for ore :lol. I can't see it being very hard to optimize for the system. Just the porting and stuff.
Im thinking the top screen would have all the gameplay and the bottom would just be your inventory. Also the 3DS could handle Minecraft so this should totally happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom