• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

BooJoh

wwm0nkey said:
Im thinking the top screen would have all the gameplay and the bottom would just be your inventory. Also the 3DS could handle Minecraft so this should totally happen.
The game already supports 3d through Anaglyph (but it gives me a headache pretty fast) so it wouldn't be a stretch... but I think it needs to be fleshed out and completed on PC before they can even think about ports.

I hope Notch quits the Friday updates and just updates with no schedule to hopefully stop some of the complaining. It gets real old when a Friday passes and people start complaining. Besides, if he ditched Friday updates no one would be waiting at home and you could go out and a have a good time.

And I'd be surprised if Minecraft ever came out on the 3DS. At least in the next couple of years.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
It's 5:23am. I'm still wide awake in bed. I'm thinking about how many glass tunnels I should build over underground rivers of lava.

Once again, fuck you Minecraft.

Calantus

VGChampion said:
I hope Notch quits the Friday updates and just updates with no schedule to hopefully stop some of the complaining. It gets real old when a Friday passes and people start complaining. Besides, if he ditched Friday updates no one would be waiting at home and you could go out and a have a good time.

if a minecraft update is holding someone back from having a social life.....:lol :lol

Blizzard

Banned
Calantus said:
if a minecraft update is holding someone back from having a social life.....:lol :lol
Some of us HAVE no social lives. Minecraft updates are all we have to keep us going through another week. :'(

Calantus

Blizzard said:
Some of us HAVE no social lives. Minecraft updates are all we have to keep us going through another week. :'(

That's ok but if you choose minecraft instead of a social life then there is a problem :D

Fusebox

Banned
I'm now a paid up Minecrafter. Trying to find a place to spend the night at the moment, wandered into a potential cave dwelling and got bow and arrowed to death by some skeleton mob. Lovin it!

Mike M

Nick N
Spent a night hiding in my house. Decided to do something productive, so I crafted some pick axes and started a shaft just mining cobblestone.

I was pretty far down when I hit dirt, which I thought was odd, so I excavated all that to see if something neat was behind it. Nothing but dirt though, so I sealed it up and headed to the surface.

Dropped all my stuff off in my chest, walked out my front door, and was immediately killed by a creeper.

Respawned back at my sand pit. There's just so much stuff right on the surface around here (Got coal directly under my feet, for instance), I decided I was going to dig out the sand and strip mine the shit out of this place, maybe build a nice tower or fortress on my spawn point.

While digging a perimeter to mark out the extent of my strip mine, in the distance I saw a fucking island floating in the goddamned sky. Just a small one, but holy shit!

I fear it will be a while before I get there though.

Mike M

Nick N
Also, it's been a while since I died and had to respawn, but I swear last time I spawned in a slightly different place. I distinctly remember trying to mark the spawn point and then accidentally breaking a barrier for a block of water that immediately began flowing into a cave that I was scratching my head over how I could have missed it the first time out.

This time I spawned over to the east a little bit, overlooking the place where I'd dried up the water with dirt. Though if this was my original spawn point, that would be why I didn't see the cave (though it raises the question of why I would have spawned elsewhere last time.)

Idunno. Like I said, it's been a while since I died, so maybe I'm grossly misremembering everything. I should just commit suicide and see where I end up.

Melville

I saw a video of a water-powered elevator, has anyone tried it? I might make one for this huge cave that's right underneath my fort. Also, are there other methods of creating elevators?

And I found my first room with a chest! Is there a way to stop the monsters from spawning there?

Mike M

Nick N
Melville said:
And I found my first room with a chest! Is there a way to stop the monsters from spawning there?
Monsters don't spawn in the light outside of a monster spawner (at least as far as I understand it), so torches?

Calantus said:

That's what I'm saying. With the amount of complaining coming out with no Friday updates....it makes me wonder sometimes.

Dunlop

Fusebox said:
I'm now a paid up Minecrafter. Trying to find a place to spend the night at the moment, wandered into a potential cave dwelling and got bow and arrowed to death by some skeleton mob. Lovin it!

lucky, Itried to buy it last night and the Paypal page would not change language no matter what I did

Melville

Mike M said:
Monsters don't spawn in the light outside of a monster spawner (at least as far as I understand it), so torches?

I put some torches in the room but they kept coming when I wasn't looking :lol
And there was some kind of cage in the middle, with fire in it. Not sure what that was... Anyway, I just took the loot and sealed the room!

JoeBoy101

Ether_Snake said:
So I'm gonna start digging deeper soon. How should I prepare myself? What if monsters spawn? Am I gonna manage to somehow to defeat the spawner by putting lights around it?

Give me some tips!

I totally freaked out last night when walking outside on a field in broad day light and suddenly heard a fucking zombie going "Buuuuuuuuuuuuuhhhhh" out of nowhere. Was probably just under me!

1) Armor
2) Sword. Keep the stone for the cattle. Spend some iron on a real one for monsters.
3) If you can, a Bow. Arrows can be gotten off of skeletons or made from chicken feathers, sticks, and flint.
4) Torches. Alot.
5) Workbench.
6) Sticks. Alot. You'll run out of tools and need to be ready to make more or improvise on the fly.
7) Food. 1 or 2 pieces. Don't overdo it. If you become so injured from fighting or falling that you need more, its a good sign you need to go back and rearm.
8) Go light. This last point is key. When mining, you'll build up a LOT of cobblestone. Don't bother taking coal, you'll find some if you're mining, and will only need some for torches. And you should already be bringing a ton with you.

If monsters spawn you either have to kill them or leave so they despawn and try again. If you find a spawner, I don't think you can destroy it, but isolate it. Put it at the bottom of a pit or something.

Some other tips from my own experience:

- Wall up the entrance to your mine after you. Often you can come back up and find its night. Save yourself of making the mistake of finally getting back out of your mine, taking a deep breath of relief and... "Hssssss..."

- Start close to home. Minimize your travel distance if possible so you don't waste time or resources on other things but, more to the point, so you don't get distracted with other things you see. Also, so you don't get lost.

- Don't start on a mountain, start LOW. Down at normal elevation. Sure, you might miss some items in the mountain, but you won't have to be as careful carving away, and most of the good stuff is below water level.

- Don't go UP! Going for ore on the ceiling is okay, but don't mine upwards. Its the easy way to flood and drown yourself, burn yourself from lava flow, or get crushed by sand/gravel. If you want to get to that part above you, build up or go around and approach from the side.

My Mining Strategy:

I go in a 4X4X2 pattern. After going two steps, I drop one level and keep going. When I drop one level, I actually dig away as much as I can from the step I am on, to minimize if there is a collapse or a sudden lava flooding. Once I go two elevations down, I make a random directional change. So far this has netted me a small cavern with a cool lava flow and water flow converging to cobblestone and a GINORMOUS cavern I am currently in with multiple monsters and branching tunnels. Only bitch I have is no diamond yet.

Question for the thread: Creepers. How do you kill them? I'm encountering them underground and have no strategy to deal with them. Can I run up to agro (they start hissing) and run off. That way they explode, I probably take some damage, but still live? Or are they always lethal?

Melville said:
I put some torches in the room but they kept coming when I wasn't looking
And there was some kind of cage in the middle, with fire in it. Not sure what that was... Anyway, I just took the loot and sealed the room!

Yes sir, that is a monster spawner. Haven't seen one myself yet, but according to Mineapedia, that is what it is.

Quixzlizx

JoeBoy101 said:
Question for the thread: Creepers. How do you kill them? I'm encountering them underground and have no strategy to deal with them. Can I run up to agro (they start hissing) and run off. That way they explode, I probably take some damage, but still live? Or are they always lethal?

If you're careful, you can hit them with a sword when they are at the very edge of your melee range, and they will be knocked back far enough that their fuse won't completely trigger. They'll keep coming at you until you manage to kill them, so if you mess up once, you're going to get blown up.

JoeBoy101

Quixzlizx said:
If you're careful, you can hit them with a sword when they are at the very edge of your melee range, and they will be knocked back far enough that their fuse won't completely trigger. They'll keep coming at you until you manage to kill them, so if you mess up once, you're going to get blown up.

Thanks! I just need to clear them out and get some torches up, as I haven't seen a nearby spawner.

fresquito

Quixzlizx said:
Or you could fire your bow.

joelseph

I have issues with randomized worlds in games, I am forever restarting or fighting the urge to restart. The moment of creation, settling into your new world, the site of that first cavern off in the distance...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
joelseph said:
I have issues with randomized worlds in games, I am forever restarting or fighting the urge to restart. The moment of creation, settling into your new world, the site of that first cavern off in the distance...

This is my favourite part.

I can't even count the number of times I have played only the first 2 nights of a game.

Vlad

Syth_Blade22 said:
This is my favourite part.

I can't even count the number of times I have played only the first 2 nights of a game.

I'm the exact opposite. I restarted a few times when I couldn't find anything really interesting when I first started out, but since then I've been sticking entirely to a single world. I've got so many supplies stashed away in there, and I've spent so much time building in it, I can't imagine starting over from scratch.

JoeBoy101

Quixzlizx said:
I was assuming he didn't have a bow, since he was asking the question.

Haven't gotten enough string yet. :-( So yeah, no bow. Actually have a decent number of arrows, but would only be able to throw them at 'em.

NTom64

Played this for the first time yesterday.

Chose a random server, spawned in a labyrinth of water, stone and lava. Was lost for ages, until eventually I managed to dig my way up to the surface...and came across this:

a34hk.png

Seriously considering purchasing the full version, it's been a while since I've had so much fun just exploring in a video game.

NTom64 said:
Played this for the first time yesterday.

Chose a random server, got lost in a labyrinth of water, stone and lava. Was lost for ages, until eventually I managed to dig my way up to the surface...and came across this:

a34hk.png

Seriously considering purchasing the full version, it's been a while since I've had so much fun just exploring in a video game.
The rurvival mode in the full version is a lot of fun :D

Scrow

Still Tagged Accordingly
is there somewhere i can read about the history of minecraft? how it started, how it progressed, how it got so popular (seemingly overnight) etc.

fresquito

joelseph said:
I'm all the opposite. One of the things that I love about Minecraft is getting used to the landscape, feeling safe, even at night. Because everything's like you worked it to be. Then you expand horizons and travel to new lands, and you feel uneasy and long for a safe place, for home. And you look back and you know it's there, but it's maybe far. You just hope not too far.

But then again, this new land is like paradise. You see floating islands and a big cascade. Some caves in the face of the cliff. You've found paradise just mere hills away from home. But it's getting dark and what's ahead doesn't look quite like paradise now.

Then you head back and you realise the place where you live, the place you've worked on so much, is beautiful as well. Maybe not as dreamy, but cool nonetheless. Maybe you're just attached toit and it's ugly to no end. But not to you. Not anymore.

Log4Girlz

For people having trouble with string. What I did was make a hidey hole near an open field and waited until night, I ran outside a bit until I saw a spider, ran the f back in...when it hit day, all the zombies and skellingtons burned up and the spiders and creepers stayed around after they spawned...killed teh spiders, got string. You could also make a hidey spot with lots of glass, a lot more stuff seems to spawn outside or rather, stay spawned once they see you.

Scrow said:
is there somewhere i can read about the history of minecraft? how it started, how it progressed, how it got so popular (seemingly overnight) etc.

Good luck. There doesn't seem to be any real reason why it blew up. 4Chan, GAF and SA helped, but so did Valve's TF2 team posting it to their blog.

Biggest factor: Word of mouth. An Alpha game more stable than most PC releases and extremely fun? Sign me the fuck up!

Edit: The actual history is scattered, but Notch does talk about it. Some of it can be found in the IndieGames.com #2 podcast where he mentions how Minecraft came to be from another project. I think some of the idea was from when he worked on Wurm.

Sciz

Scrow said:
May 2009: Development begins
May 2009: First publicly released build
June 2009: First publicly released multiplayer build
June 13th 2009: Preorders opened
June 15th 2009: Notch complains about Paypal for the first time.
Loads and loads of development occurs (paw through the patch history on the wiki or Notch's blog for the details). Minecraft's popularity slowly grows via word-of-mouth courtesy of SA, /v/, and the like.
July 28th 2010: The TF2 team collectively succumbs to the lure of the game and lets everyone know. It had sold 37k copies before that.
Exponential sales growth commences.

Hello I am just about to start a server but I really don't know much about what I am doing.

If anyone has played on touchmybox's server, you can see that you can spawn kits and teleport etc.

I would like to know how to add those features to my server.

Also touchmybox uses dyndns.org for his server URL. I would like to know how to get my own custom URL.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I will share my server details after this has all been sorted out.

kennah

ashbash159 said:
Hello I am just about to start a server but I really don't know much about what I am doing.

If anyone has played on touchmybox's server, you can see that you can spawn kits and teleport etc.

Also touchmybox uses dyndns.org for his server URL. I would like to know how to get my own custom URL.

Developing the ability to research is a useful lifelong skill.

touch's url seems to be hosted somewhere... maybe you could go to www.dyndns.org and see what happens

also the kits and teleport say something in front of them when activated, you could try googling that. Or maybe googling some way to be an admin of a MC server.

probune

ashbash159 said:

For your kits and teleports, you need a server mod, like this. http://minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=1012&t=23340

As for dyndns, you make an account, download a program, and choose a name, then people type that in and go to your server. Pretty self-explanatory when you go to http://www.dyndns.com/

Yaweee

Log4Girlz said:
...so who agrees...this is game of the year?

Depends when he actually finishes it.

For me, it was awesome for week or two, but now I feel like it really needs a lot more work and depth. It has been a bit disappointing that updates essentially stopped the moment I started playing =(

GOTY is likely going to be a knife fight between Starcraft 2, Mass Effect 2, and Civ5 at most sources, at least of games released so far. Maybe RDR will get some awards, as will Halo Reach?

It's been a really damn good year for gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom