• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yaweee

Philthy said:
Didn't he mention he didn't expect any updates until the end of Oct at the earliest?

I wish he'd just spend a little more time to finish Biomes, or at least get them in a workable state. That would add so much to the game.

Yaweee said:
I wish he'd just spend a little more time to finish Biomes, or at least get them in a workable state. That would add so much to the game.

Same here - i'm all for making the SMP functional, but stuff like biomes and water based mobs & fishing would add a ton to the core Minecraft experience. I'm perfectly happy to wait for notch to set up his business and hire more staff, even if it means no updates for a while - but if the first update back is an SMP update, i'll die a little inside :(

Yaweee

Bootaaay said:
Same here - i'm all for making the SMP functional, but stuff like biomes and water based mobs & fishing would add a ton to the core Minecraft experience. I'm perfectly happy to wait for notch to set up his business and hire more staff, even if it means no updates for a while - but if the first update back is an SMP update, i'll die a little inside :(

And it sounded like he was really damn close to getting Biomes working before taking his vacation from development. All he said was that they were in, but the transitions from to another were complete clusterfucks.

I'd accept some ugliness for them =(

thespot84

roman2k said:
WTF sheep, how did you get there? :lol

It's notche's friday update, the mountain goat:

mountain-goat-waterfall.jpg

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Where did someone see there wouldn't be any updates for several more weeks? Was hoping for one today.

trinest

Been playing this a bit- seriously the first time I herd one of those monster things I jumped- because I wasn't expecting one to spawn right behind me when it just became dark.

Enough of that- been playing it heaps now I looked on the crafting thing on the wiki site- learned a few basic stuff I could make and just been doing stuff from there- mostly mining the shit around of areas to make tunnels. Got heaps of Cobblestone now (which isn't that pretty much useless) and don't know what else to really do- theres a few underground caves I've found by falling in and I've put a few touches around and I want to explore there more.

Oh and my friend came over and she said she hated the graphics and that me playing what I did for it was too much- and that her Nataro PS2 game was cheaper then that and has epic graphics.

Wat.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Visualante said:
Saw a guy wearing a Creeper shirt earlier. Only good gaming shirt I've seen in a long time.

Where can I buy such a shirt?

Log4Girlz

Man, I've been playing hours. I made a water trap for my Zombi spawner...FEATHERS GALORE. Considering how easy flint and sticks are to come by i have a couple of stacks of arrows...seriously the machine gun of minecraft.

Haunted

Log4Girlz said:
...so who agrees...this is game of the year?
Alpha of the year.

Log4Girlz said:
Man, I've been playing hours. I made a water trap for my Zombi spawner...FEATHERS GALORE. Considering how easy flint and sticks are to come by i have a couple of stacks of arrows...seriously the machine gun of minecraft.
Arrows are so weak. :(

Vlad

Log4Girlz said:

Feathers aren't that hard to come by. Just make a point to mercilessly slaughter every chicken you come across and you'll be swimming in feathers in no time.

Haunted

Darknessbear said:
How do you use a bucket? It doesnt work for me =|
You can only scoop up (right-click) spawn locations, not just any ol' water/lava block. You can follow a river or waterfall to its source and presto. For water, you can also just take one from a couple blocks inside a lake/sea, those should be pretty much all spawn blocks. Look for blocks with a calm surface and no flowing animation/direction.

Log4Girlz

Haunted said:
Alpha of the year.

Arrows are so weak. :(

If you click constantly you shoot a steady stream of arrows...nothing survives for very long.

Vlad said:
Feathers aren't that hard to come by. Just make a point to mercilessly slaughter every chicken you come across and you'll be swimming in feathers in no time.

Eh, even when killing every chicken I see, and with a 50% drop rate it seems, it took forever to get 30 feathers. With my water trap I have full stacks of feathers. Oh and I don't have to go hunting for anything :)

Haunted said:
You can only scoop up (right-click) spawn locations, not just any ol' water/lava block. You can follow a river or waterfall to its source and presto. For water, you can also just take one from a couple blocks inside a lake/sea, those should be pretty much all spawn blocks. Look for blocks with a calm surface and no flowing animation/direction.
Oooooo thank you! :)

Does it destroy the lava/water spawn?

Haunted

Darknessbear said:
Oooooo thank you! :)

Does it destroy the lava/water spawn?
Actually, there's two kinds of water/lava spawns, sources (infinite) and springs (finite).

The spawn blocks found in the ocean will be sources, so they don't disappear once you've scooped them up. But all the water spawns you place elsewhere with the bucket are springs and will disappear when you scoop them up again.

I think. :p

Twig

Banned
Haunted said:
Actually, there's two kinds of water/lava spawns, sources (infinite) and springs (finite).

The spawn blocks found in the ocean will be sources, so they don't disappear once you've scooped them up. But all the water spawns you place elsewhere with the bucket are springs and will disappear when you scoop them up again.

I think. :p
Both are considered sources, I believe.

Your "sources" are just your "springs" arranged in a formation that restores the "source."

You can make your own "source" by doing this:

Code:
OOO
OXOO
OYXO
OOOO

O is dirt, X is water "spring," Y is water "source." So, you can pull infinitely from Y, but pulling from X will mess it up.

Lava doesn't have this same quality, but I've heard if you surround a hole by FOUR sources of lava, then the middle one will become infinite. I haven't tried this yet, and I don't have any idea whatsoever if it's true!

Vlad

Twig said:

Code:
OOO
OXOO
OYXO
OOOO

O is dirt, X is water "spring," Y is water "source." So, you can pull infinitely from Y, but pulling from X will mess it up.

A slightly easier way to do that is to just make a 2x2 hole and dump water in the opposite corners (for example, northeast and southwest corners). This will make all four blocks in the hole source blocks that will replenish any block that you pull from it, as long as you don't take out two adjacent source blocks within the split second it takes for the sources to replenish.

Lava doesn't have this same quality, but I've heard if you surround a hole by FOUR sources of lava, then the middle one will become infinite. I haven't tried this yet, and I don't have any idea whatsoever if it's true!

Hmm, I'll have to check into that a bit, but I've done a LOT of playing around with lava, and I've never seen it replenish source blocks the way water does.

Twig

Banned
Vlad said:
Hmm, I'll have to check into that a bit, but I've done a LOT of playing around with lava, and I've never seen it replenish source blocks the way water does.
I just tried it and it didn't work. Maybe it was a server setting (I don't know if that sort of thing is even possible, yet).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Twig said:
Both are considered sources, I believe.

Your "sources" are just your "springs" arranged in a formation that restores the "source."

Code:
OOO
OXOO
OYXO
OOOO

Playing with water blocks last night trying to fill my pool, I figured it all out. There's basically water sources, and then there's running water. Naturally, every spot of water inside the ocean is a water source. They work just like the water sources inside caves. That's why when you start digging around the shore, water won't naturally fill up to sea level. Ocean water only looks stable because if you're pulling from a square that has several adjacent squares, the 3 sources will fill the empty square with running water, and it'll look stable. But if you start pulling water from every other block around the first block you pulled, you'll start to see some instability.

Now if you're trying to fill up water buckets, if you see running water, you can pull water from squares that are next to the source without actually disrupting the source. For instance, you can dig a small trench that's only 2 square across and 1 square deep. Pull some water from the ocean, and then drop the water into one of the squares. From there, you have one square serving as the source and another square being filled with running water. You can make both squares a source by pulling water from the running water square, and then dropping it onto that same square. So you can basically create an infinite amount of water sources from a single water source.

Belfast

So does anyone else have a funky-looking mob spawner? Mine's extra creepy with Creeper faces all over it, and so does the surrounding tile (instead of mossy cobblestone).

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Belfast said:
So does anyone else have a funky-looking mob spawner? Mine's extra creepy with Creeper faces all over it, and so does the surrounding tile (instead of mossy cobblestone).

Are you using the Painterly Pack?

Belfast

ZealousD said:
Are you using the Painterly Pack?

Well, that would explain it, wouldn't it?

I downloaded it practically right after Minecraft itself, so I never encountered any spawners before that.

Belfast

Started a new world. I like what I did with my first one (still might go back to it), but I was getting reeealllly tired of the snow.

Either way, I feel like I've learned a few things that I can apply to further endeavors.

But whooooooa. The new one is absolutely nuts. Deep, open caves everywhere (one, I swear goes right down the bedrock from the surface). and gigantic bluffs (not necessarily mountains, most of them are flat-sided). It's very vertical, almost like a bunch of skyscrapers, and with all the open caves, enemies are plentiful even during the day. It's going to be dangerous as hell, but it looks cool.

Syth_Blade22 said:
yes! but worth sharing again. I can't beleive this lol.

this comment was win

"Yo Dawg! I heard you liked computers so we made a computer inside your computer game so you can play minecraft while your playing minecraft!??"

Mike M

Nick N
OK, my spawn location is DEFINITELY moving. I marked it last time, then I died today and respawned in a different spot. Same general location, but now on the other side of the sand pit I always start in. I killed myself a few more times and started off at this point each time, but it is without doubt definitely a different place than last time.

What the fuck, how am I supposed to build a house to spawn in if the spawn point keeps moving?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Why is it important to build a house in the spawn point? I never bothered. If I respawn I just run up to my house.

Yaweee

Ether_Snake said:
Why is it important to build a house in the spawn point? I never bothered. If I respawn I just run up to my house.

It is not important at all, because if you die gain, you wouldn't have lost anything.

It is just convenient knowing that wherever you spawn will be a well-lit and sealed monster-free area.

Artanisix

^Yeah, there is a certain charm to the graphical style of Minecraft that really works. It's very, very beautiful.

Here's something I've been working on all week in my spare time between classes. It's a massive warrior statue for my castle village that I'd like to make around it.

warrior1.jpg

warrior2.jpg

warrior3.jpg

Some additions to the below picture: I worked hard on the backlight to my statue so that it's visible during the night. Also added awesome eternal fires to his hands and arms. I really hate seeing torches on my creations so I tried to hide them the best I could.

warrior4.jpg

This is the "tombstone" for this guy, if you will. If you stand on a particular elevated piece of land that's lit by torches, the tomb looks as if it's a sheathe for the warrior's sword. The sign says,

'The King,
The Master,
Our Idol'

which might be a slight rewording of a popular Muhammad Ali quote :D

warrior5.jpg

-I did use inventory editor for the diamond blocks, gold blocks, and most of my obsidian, due to how tedious it was to find and create these blocks.
-Everything else was hand-mined and crafted.
-Working on such a large scale was really, REALLY difficult, because I had to constantly hop down all my scaffolding and run all the way to my tower to see how it was turning out.
-I died about 6 times jumping of the scaffolding and missing the pools of water :lol Really really scary when you're carrying so many precious materials.
-I had a huge accident when pouring down lava for the sword where I... fell in the lava and burned half of my gear.

Overall it was a lot of fun making this, and I'd like to make a giant statue of a wizard and a valkyrie eventually... when I save up enough materials and find an appropriately sized mountain to carve into.

JoeMartin

What are the blocks that look like cobblestone with green veins running thru them?

EDIT: Ah right, mossy cobblestone, I might actually be retarded.

r1chard

Artanisix said:
^Here's something I've been working on all week in my spare time between classes.
Very cool.

Artanisix said:
I did use inventory editor for the diamond blocks, gold blocks, and most of my obsidian, due to how tedious it was to find and create these blocks
Yeah, finding the useful materials is hard. I have this huge stockpile of redstone than I'm never going to use, but I rarely find diamond which would be actually useful. Instead I just burn through stone picks, keeping my iron picks for harder stuff. It adds an unnecessary tedium to the game.

r1chard said:
Yeah, finding the useful materials is hard. I have this huge stockpile of redstone than I'm never going to use, but I rarely find diamond which would be actually useful. Instead I just burn through stone picks, keeping my iron picks for harder stuff. It adds an unnecessary tedium to the game.

Not sure if it works in SP but in SMP you can just drop your diamond pickaxe (or anything actually) and it will reset. I've been on the same pickaxe and shovel for weeks.

r1chard

VGChampion said:
Not sure if it works in SP but in SMP you can just drop your diamond pickaxe (or anything actually) and it will reset. I've been on the same pickaxe and shovel for weeks.
Nah, that bug is only in SMP.

shuri

Banned
deadnoob said:
I think seeing Minecraft everywhere has finally gotten to me. I just click 'buy now' on the site.
Don't.. the man has no made a significant update on the game in several weeks now. Mp is still incomplete.

I would wait.

shuri said:
Don't.. the man has no made a significant update on the game in several weeks now. Mp is still incomplete.

I would wait.
It's worth the money right now in it's current form, otherwise I wouldn't have bought it.

I doubt anyone's stupid enough to pay for a product they feel isn't worth the money at the time of payment.

I've had more than my moneys worth out of this game. Anything else ontop of that is just sugar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom