• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
shuri said:
Don't.. the man has no made a significant update on the game in several weeks now. Mp is still incomplete.

I would wait.

on the other hand, many people have had enough fun with the game as-is that they feel like the product gives them their money's worth now. deadnoob, if the game that exists right now seems as satisfying to you as it is to many people you should buy it now. just make sure you understand what you are getting. I personally would not have felt ripped off if I had been charged 13 bucks for this game and told it was a finished product (probably because I generally am so indifferent to online multi in anything). If you dont mind the state of multi i see no reason to hesitate.

JoeyX

Neo Member
r1chard said:
Nah, that bug is only in SMP.

I'd rather think of it as a feature than a bug.

If you were playing SMP without assigning jobs then getting ore to make decent tools would be soul destroying. I've had a hard time find enough diamond for a set of four picks+shovels I think seeing them break would be the end of me.

And then Iron would be a pain too. Once you get Iron it's a bit of a pain to go back to slow old stone, especially when you are mining for four :s

**EDIT**

And in terms of buying the game, though it may be half of what it should be in the end and hasn't had an update in some time, do keep in mind it's currently half price.

r1chard

shuri said:
Don't.. the man has no made a significant update on the game in several weeks now. Mp is still incomplete.

I would wait.
Er what? SP (which is all I play) is loads of fun right now.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
What I wouldn't give for the ability to set my own spawn point. Or to have some way of finding places again. I built a really cool place set in a basin that had a lava waterfall and a water...waterfall meeting naturally. Nearby was a tree that eternally on fire.

*hssssss* FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can't find it again.

JoeyX

Neo Member
WanderingWind said:
That seems like cheating. Must....resist....:lol

My friend is coding to splice separate worlds into a single for online multiplayer. The plan is make our stuff now then bring it into the single world online. The things he has told me about.... I have to resist from doing them as it's cheating (cloning items being a key)

Rainier

I was trying to clear out a huge underground area, but had used up my prized diamond pickaxe. So I spawned some diamonds using that program, made new pickaxes, and carried on, for at least two minutes. It felt like I had just cheated on my wife with one of her sisters... the ugly one. Quit to main menu, delete world, start new world. About 40 or so hours work gone. :(

fresquito

Multiplay have started their server service for Minecraft. It's not as cheap as I'd hoped it to be.

8 slots would cost 90€ a year.

Ok, I have bought and downloaded minecraft. I watched a quick tutorial video on how to do thinks like build pick axes and suck. But what should I be doing? Wandering the land? I know some mentioned dungeons, so do I just search for them, Zelda style?

Thanks.

fresquito

CoachKevin said:
Ok, I have bought and downloaded minecraft. I watched a quick tutorial video on how to do thinks like build pick axes and suck. But what should I be doing? Wandering the land? I know some mentioned dungeons, so do I just search for them, Zelda style?

Thanks.
First things first. You should focus on surviving. This means building a shelter, some tools and probably weapons. Then, once surviving is more or less a given, you can do whatever you feel like doing. Be it mining, exploring, adventuring into dungeons, building up things...

The thing about Minecraft is there's no set guideline. Each world is a new experience, each person is a different way to experience it.

Log4Girlz

WanderingWind said:
What I wouldn't give for the ability to set my own spawn point. Or to have some way of finding places again. I built a really cool place set in a basin that had a lava waterfall and a water...waterfall meeting naturally. Nearby was a tree that eternally on fire.

*hssssss* FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now I can't find it again.

I highly recommend, if you're not going to cheat, always mark the path of your spawn point to wherever your village is with torches or dig/place blocks with a simple arrow sign pointing the way.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Log4Girlz said:
I highly recommend, if you're not going to cheat, always mark the path of your spawn point to wherever your village is with torches or dig/place blocks with a simple arrow sign pointing the way.

Yeah, that's a good idea.

drizzle said:
oopsiedaisy, i'm an idiot.

Nobody saw that. ;)

Haunted

shuri said:

I would wait.
I would agree with you in principle, but in all honesty, what's there right now is already worth the 10€. Easily. What's coming in the future is all a bonus.

Rainier said:
I was trying to clear out a huge underground area, but had used up my prized diamond pickaxe. So I spawned some diamonds using that program, made new pickaxes, and carried on, for at least two minutes. It felt like I had just cheated on my wife with one of her sisters... the ugly one. Quit to main menu, delete world, start new world. About 40 or so hours work gone. :(
A man's man. You did the right thing.

I honestly believe that a huge part of the SP appeal (for me at least) is that you literally mine and craft every single thing in your generated world by yourself, by your own doing.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Hmm I'm not sure what to do. I've built my third shack, linked to my sky bridge, so I can be more productive even at night. But during day time I always go to new sites and dig only a bit.

What is my GOAL?

I noticed that few monsters are spawning where I left torches before, but a whole LOT are spawning on the other side of the hill where I haven't gone. I mean I could see like five creepers jumping around + zombies and spiders.

So basically, what should be my next goal? Dig as deep as I can? What am I supposed to look for and what should I be prepared against?

And can monsters climb ladders?

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Ether_Snake said:
Hmm I'm not sure what to do. I've built my third shack, linked to my sky bridge, so I can be more productive even at night. But during day time I always go to new sites and dig only a bit.

What is my GOAL?

I noticed that few monsters are spawning where I left torches before, but a whole LOT are spawning on the other side of the hill where I haven't gone. I mean I could see like five creepers jumping around + zombies and spiders.

So basically, what should be my next goal? Dig as deep as I can? What am I supposed to look for and what should I be prepared against?

And can monsters climb ladders?
You're surviving. The game is called Survival. That's it. Explore at will, start new projects, create massive buildings, do whatevs...

Atomski

CoachKevin said:
quick question. I just got killed by a spider, do i lose all the progress I made? including the shelter/cave I created?
Its finding your way back that is the problem. First couple times I played I ran far off away from the spawn point then started making stuff. I'd die then wonder for miles not finding where I built my castle :lol.

Is there any way to avoid this?

Artanisix said:
-I did use inventory editor for the diamond blocks, gold blocks, and most of my obsidian, due to how tedious it was to find and create these blocks.

Man, the whole point of minecraft is that if you want to make something really badass out of gold blocks, diamond blocks, obsidian, etc. you gotta work like hell for it for it and invest a lot of time and love into a single world. So while I respect the artistry you put into the project, I feel like you've cheated yourself and ruined the experience a little bit. Not that it's my place to tell someone who to enjoy their game, but I just had to say it.

Blizzard

Banned
I think one of the nice things about Minecraft is that different people can play it in different ways. In fact, that seems like almost the point of sandbox games. Some people might really enjoy classic creative mode -- I liked it. Even with infinite resources, it was fun to create crazy huge structures and explore with other people.

It's also fun to craft and mine it all yourself, and should eventually be fun to survive cooperatively against monsters and so forth. But one nice thing, potentially, is that those who want to edit their world or use custom tools/cheat programs can do it, offline. If that's more fun for them, it doesn't really hurt it for the rest of us, hopefully!

Atomski said:
Its finding your way back that is the problem. First couple times I played I ran far off away from the spawn point then started making stuff. I'd die then wonder for miles not finding where I built my castle :lol.

Holy crap! I found my cave, thankfully I put torches at the top pf the mountain it was in. Thank you Justin from Joyst***

Vlad

CoachKevin said:
quick question. I just got killed by a spider, do i lose all the progress I made? including the shelter/cave I created?

Nope. When you die, the world stays exactly as it was when you died, you just respawn at your spawn location. Anything you were carrying will get scattered around the area where you died and will stay there for a short while, so if you haul ass you can make it to your goodies before they disappear.

Artanisix said:
-I did use inventory editor for the diamond blocks, gold blocks, and most of my obsidian, due to how tedious it was to find and create these blocks.

I didn't even notice the gold blocks at first (they kind of blend in with the lava). Where's there diamond on that thing.

Oh, and at least you admitted that you used an editor. I'm enjoying scraping everything together too much to do that myself. I've been tempted a few times where I've done something stupid and lost a bunch of diamond equipment to lava, but I much prefer the ruthlessness of the game as-is. I think the only time I'd feel justified in doing that is if I lost anything due to a bug in the game.

EDIT:

HappyBivouac said:
Man, the whole point of minecraft is that if you want to make something really badass out of gold blocks, diamond blocks, obsidian, etc. you gotta work like hell for it for it and invest a lot of time and love into a single world. So while I respect the artistry you put into the project, I feel like you've cheated yourself and ruined the experience a little bit. Not that it's my place to tell someone who to enjoy their game, but I just had to say it.

Heh, I was thinking pretty much the same thing. When I see something that someone built without any outside intervention, I not only admire the creativity that went into it, but I can also appreciate the sheer amount of work that went into getting the materials/clearing the land for whatever was built. Like you said, it's not like you want to tell someone how to play the game, but it just feels a little bit wrong somehow :).

Rainier

On the last world I started, I got so carried away with collecting materials on my first day that by the time I ran back to my spawn base it was too dark to build and the creatures were starting to come out. Instead of putting together a crude fortress to hide, I 'dug up' by putting blocks under me till I was about 20 blocks off the ground. It was cool watching them walking down the beach looking for me, especially the spiders with those scary red eyes. They didn't seem to be aware of my location until I was only four or five blocks up off the ground. So I spent most of that night teasing the bastards.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So anybody that's not on TouchMyBox's server should probably see this. We made an awesome football stadium with some great teamwork within about a week.

Here's a couple of good shots of it from the outside.

Clipboard01.jpg

01.jpg

Here's the front entrance ticket booths, and you can see a couple vendor booths behind it.

02.jpg

And here's the field and the bleachers. The "LOL" you see on the right is the jumbotron/scoreboard. You can also see some of the skyboxes up top.

Clipboard03.jpg

We've even got a set of locker rooms, complete with showers.

Clipboard06.jpg

Here's inside the main skybox, which is the control room. This is just above the jumbotron.

Clipboard04.jpg

Here's a better glimpse of the glass dome on top. This thing was a pain in the ass to work on.

Clipboard05.jpg

Just like to take this opportunity again to thank everybody who helped me with this huge project! It was a lot of fun to make. =)

Belfast

CoachKevin said:
Holy crap! I found my cave, thankfully I put torches at the top pf the mountain it was in. Thank you Justin from Joyst***

Yeah, that's what I generally do. While exploring caves, too. Leaving torches as "breadcrumbs" on the trail or to mark entrances and pathways. It's not foolproof (in the more complex cave systems, it can still be easy to get lost), but it works reasonably well.

Haunted

Atomski said:

Get to the nearest big mountain from your spawn and build a quick n dirty tower - like 2x2 dirt blocks or something - up to the sky limit. Go explore wherever you want and start building your stuff.

When you're better equipped (say, a couple ingame days later), return to your spawn point (that's why you built that tower in the beginning) and litter the way with torches or other recognisable block patterns.

Really, building two super quick towers (one at your spawn and one at your base) helps out so much with navigation at the beginning.

edit: holy shit @ Neogaf stadium. Impressive work, guys.

Vlad

Rainier said:
Holy shit man, that's awesome!

Indeed. I can't wait until SMP gets a little more stable. I've tried playing it a few times, and it seems to always make Minecraft freeze/crash after about ten minutes for some strange reason.

JRW

Quick question, When it comes to single player Alpha is there any reason NOT to just play it on Peaceful difficulty all the time? I mean.. you dont have to worry about enemies spawning at night so you can just build to your hearts desire, or am I missing something?

JRW said:
Quick question, When it comes to single player Alpha is there any reason NOT to just play it on Peaceful difficulty all the time? I mean.. you dont have to worry about enemies spawning at night so you can just build to your hearts desire, or am I missing something?

Well... why do you play games?

ZealousD

JRW said:

Some people like the tension that the monsters bring.

Personally, monsters are more of an annoyance to me, but that's only because they're dumb as bricks. There's no skill involved when it comes to killing them, and random creepers sneaking up behind you is a major pain in the ass.

JRW

HappyBivouac said:
Well... why do you play games?

I know what your getting at but minecraft is a rare breed of games .. I just wanna craft & build a bunch of things without worrying about what time of day it is, but then again ive only had the game a few days and I still have much to learn, I was just curious what other people thought lol.

Blizzard

Banned
Rainier said:
On the last world I started, I got so carried away with collecting materials on my first day that by the time I ran back to my spawn base it was too dark to build and the creatures were starting to come out. Instead of putting together a crude fortress to hide, I 'dug up' by putting blocks under me till I was about 20 blocks off the ground. It was cool watching them walking down the beach looking for me, especially the spiders with those scary red eyes. They didn't seem to be aware of my location until I was only four or five blocks up off the ground. So I spent most of that night teasing the bastards.
This is funny until the monsters that find you turn out to be skeleton archers. Then it'll be HILARIOUS. :lol

JRW said:

Only if you like the tension. There's only a few items they drop that can be used. I had my game on peaceful during the single player because I wanted to dig and explore.

Blizzard

Banned
eosos said:
touch's new server ip

offtopic my house was destroyed by toilet paper
You may want to only post that IP in the online-forum thread so that griefers can't get it. I don't know what touch prefers, though.

BooJoh

JRW said:
I know what your getting at but minecraft is a rare breed of games .. I just wanna craft & build a bunch of things without worrying about what time of day it is, but then again ive only had the game a few days and I still have much to learn, I was just curious what other people thought lol.
If you personally get more out of just building, then play on peaceful. For a lot of people, the challenge of keeping yourself alive and not losing all your stuff is part of what they enjoy about the game, it's almost like a roguelike in that regard. Different strokes. Personally I keep it on peaceful and just enjoy exploring, building, and crafting.

Rainier

Blizzard said:
This is funny until the monsters that find you turn out to be skeleton archers. Then it'll be HILARIOUS. :lol
Once you go up at certain height, you can come back down and the skeletons won't shoot at you. I think it's because they tend to get right up against the single tower of blocks you're standing on, so you're positioned almost directly above them. It's like it's too much of an angle for them to shoot.

JRW said:

Yeah, when I first played the game I put tons of hours into building epic stuff on peaceful, so I know where you're coming from. I just think that eventually you'll get an itch for the tension it adds when you're not just building stuff for creativity, but for survival.

ZealousD said:
So anybody that's not on TouchMyBox's server should probably see this. We made an awesome football stadium with some great teamwork within about a week.
Here's a couple of good shots of it from the outside.

Here's the front entrance ticket booths, and you can see a couple vendor booths behind it.

And here's the field and the bleachers. The "LOL" you see on the right is the jumbotron/scoreboard. You can also see some of the skyboxes up top.

We've even got a set of locker rooms, complete with showers.

Here's inside the main skybox, which is the control room. This is just above the jumbotron.

Here's a better glimpse of the glass dome on top. This thing was a pain in the ass to work on.

Just like to take this opportunity again to thank everybody who helped me with this huge project! It was a lot of fun to make. =)

you should try and make it so you can allow creatures to spawn on the field over night, and make it into a Colosseum-esque experience, were people can battle with them for your amusement.

Rainier

les papillons sexuels said:
you should try and make it so you can allow creatures to spawn on the field over night, and make it into a Colosseum-esque experience, were people can battle with them for your amusement.
Wow, what a great idea! Can the server spawn those cages?

ZealousD

les papillons sexuels said:

The problem is that monsters are bugged in MP. Wouldn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom