• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Caesar III said:
think north pole, dessert, rain forrest, mountain climate, etc.
I'm very interested, as long as he gets the scale right. I don't want biomes like half a mile in diameter. I want to have to walk for half an hour or more to change from temperate to arctic.

WanderingWind said:
Forgive my thickness, but biomes means there will be places on the map that will be snowy, some parts desert, etc?
Yes

Twig

Banned
Caesar III said:
think north pole, dessert, rain forrest, mountain climate, etc.
Alternatively:

A cold, snowy, barren mountaintop, gradually becoming a heavily forested valley through which flows a river.

...I never really thought about it before, but Minecraft doesn't have rivers. ): I guess it's a result of the way the water physics work.

sgnhh

Neo Member
I don't quite get the portals idea.

Part of me wonders if these will be permanent updates or just seasonal ones.

Leunam said:
Has Notch gone into how Hell works beyond using it as a means for travel? Sounds a lot like Warhammer 40K's Warp.

Could be like an Oblivion gate? Monsters spawn near the entrance to it and on the inside it's like another dimension. Except you can travel to other gates through it. FWIW I don't know how Warps work.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Torches being temporary sounds like a bad change, to be honest. It's going to be super fucking annoying to have to relight stuff all the time. Lanterns better be pretty fucking cheap to make.

Twig said:
...I never really thought about it before, but Minecraft doesn't have rivers. ): I guess it's a result of the way the water physics work.

But there are a lot of natural outdoor waterfalls, however, these usually just pool on top of whatever surface they fall upon - it would be awesome if Notch could devise a way so that wherever there is a natural outdoor waterfall the world generates either a lake, or a river channel running towards the nearest body of water.

sgnhh said:
I don't quite get the portals idea.

It sounds like Nightcrawler's powers from X-Men - the power to leap from one point to another, but with the downside of having to cross through a dangerous alternate dimension to get there.

Twig

Banned
Bootaaay said:
But there are a lot of natural outdoor waterfalls, however, these usually just pool on top of whatever surface they fall upon - it would be awesome if Notch could devise a way so that wherever there is a natural outdoor waterfall the world generates either a lake, or a river channel running towards the nearest body of water.
Yeah, waterfalls aren't rivers. I wish they would make rivers. ):

Leunam

Bootaaay said:
It sounds like Nightcrawler's powers from X-Men - the power to leap from one point to another, but with the downside of having to cross through a dangerous alternate dimension to get there.

Yeah, that's similar to how the Warp works. You travel great distances in your ship but in the meantime your vessel is usually being besieged by demons inside and out. Incredibly dangerous but it is the absolute fastest means of travel and in many cases the only way to reasonably reach certain sectors of the galaxy in a reasonably amount of time.

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Twig said:
Yeah, waterfalls aren't rivers. I wish they would make rivers. ):

Sometimes I wish water worked like it does in Classic, although I know that'd be a really bad idea.

Drewsky

Spire said:
Torches being temporary sounds like a bad change, to be honest. It's going to be super fucking annoying to have to relight stuff all the time. Lanterns better be pretty fucking cheap to make.
That's what my immediate reaction was as well.

Twig

Banned
Bootaaay said:
In a past post, he likened it to Wheel of Time's fast travel, which is:

http://www.minecraftforum.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=38736

There's also the portal stones. http://wot.wikia.com/wiki/Portal_Stone

Which, if used right, allow instant travel, I think, but when Rand first uses them, it takes him to an alternate world where time passes by much more slowly, so it's like fast travel, but not instant.

I think.

It's been a while since I read the series.

Hylian7

I hope the new monsters will actually break through weaker materials. I think it's kind of weird that my house of wood is impenetrable right now. I also hope lanterns aren't too hard to make. That's going to suck for all of my torches that I have in my maps. However, I really like the idea of more harsh mobs.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Def. pumped about the update. Two things I'm not crazy about though:

1) Seems notch might be leaning towards less frequent, but bigger, updates. Probably so each updates makes a bigger splash & generates more blog headlines. It makes sense, but I miss the days when the game would update and suddenly... cows.

2) Not crazy about "themed" updates around holidays. Pumpkins? Meh. I don't want to see a bunch of Xmas stuff added in December. Keep the real world out of Minecraft!

I'm not hating, though. VERY excited to see what he has been cooking up. There will undoubtedly be plenty of surprises as well.

Twig

Banned
GDJustin said:
Not crazy about "themed" updates around holidays. Pumpkins? Meh. I don't want to see a bunch of Xmas stuff added in December. Keep the real world out of Minecraft!
You are wrong!

Spire said:
They will likely need glass of some sort, a torch (maybe redstone?), and perhaps a "base" material. Just the need for glass(especially if its multiple pieces) is going to make lanterns rather time consuming to make due to the need to smelt sand, but sand itself isn't usually too hard to find. So they will likely be "cheap" as far as not needing difficult to find materials, but I think they will be time consuming.

Personally i'd like the torches to just get very dim, not burn out. Enemies still wont spawn in the area around a torch(regardless of being bright or dim), but player visibility is heavily impacted.

This way you don't have to worry about old mines becoming useless because they are overrun with monsters, but you still need to relight them.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
MvmntInGrn said:
They will likely need glass of some sort, a torch (maybe redstone?), and perhaps a "base" material. Just the need for glass(especially if its multiple pieces) is going to make lanterns rather time consuming to make due to the need to smelt sand, but sand itself isn't usually too hard to find. So they will likely be "cheap" as far as not needing difficult to find materials, but I think they will be time consuming.

Personally i'd like the torches to just get very dim, not burn out. Enemies still wont spawn in the area around a torch(regardless of being bright or dim), but player visibility is heavily impacted.

This way you don't have to worry about old mines becoming useless because they are overrun with monsters, but you still need to relight them.

Lantern will be:

Glass
Torch
Iron

For ingredients. I'm calling it.

I actually like the idea of old mines becoming repopulated with monsters though. As long as torches don't go out too quickly and lanterns aren't too costly I like the idea.

Yaweee

GDJustin said:
Lantern will be:

Glass
Torch
Iron

Ah, but they need to be laid out in some ridiculous pattern that has only a passing resemblance to the created object. 4 iron bars + 4 glass + 1 Torch = 1 Lantern. Better start mining!

(at least that wouldn't be nearly as dumb as the Golden Apple recipe)

Hylian7

Yaweee said:
Ah, but they need to be laid out in some ridiculous pattern. 4 iron bars + 4 glass + 1 Torch = 1 Lantern. Better start mining!

If this happens, then they better increase the frequency of Iron, either that or the lanterns better light up even more area than torches do.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yaweee said:
Ah, but they need to be laid out in some ridiculous pattern that has only a passing resemblance to the created object. 4 iron bars + 4 glass + 1 Torch = 1 Lantern. Better start mining!

1 Iron on top, 1 Iron on bottom. 1 glass on each side. Torch in the middle.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Hylian7 said:
I hope the new monsters will actually break through weaker materials. I think it's kind of weird that my house of wood is impenetrable right now. I also hope lanterns aren't too hard to make. That's going to suck for all of my torches that I have in my maps. However, I really like the idea of more harsh mobs.

Oh, hell no. I like being able to build a house out of what I think looks good. This would fundamentally change the game. Everybody would have to have the same houses, the same materials, etc.

GDJustin said:
Lantern will be:

Glass
Torch
Iron

That makes sense, but the iron worries me. Lighting big buildings could be a pain as iron isn't an abundant material. General building is easy because stone/cobblestone and wood (and currently torches)are very easy to gather. Needing iron for torches could limit what people may be willing to build (worried about maintenance), which I think would be pretty bad for Minecraft.
Yaweee said:

They may require multiple pieces of glass, but 4 iron bars would be ridiculous.
ZealousD said:
1 Iron on top, 1 Iron on bottom. 1 glass on each side. Torch in the middle.
This would be more reasonable, but even 1 piece of iron could make them pretty annoying.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
MvmntInGrn said:
This would be more reasonable, but even 1 piece of iron could make them pretty annoying.

I agree. I think torches should remain the way they are. =/

If he wants to add lanterns, just make it so that they light a bigger area than torches.

pyRps.gif

With torches going out this better be one of the new monsters he's adding.

Have it revert you back to your last save if it kills you.

Travado

GDJustin said:
Lantern will be:

Glass
Torch
Iron

I like it, but we need more use for redstone.

Notch already used redstone to make "industrial" things in Minecraft, like circuits and the compass, probably to make a watch and a lantern we will use it too.

upandaway

So I got this yesterday. I started a world, had a good mud-made base going, had arrows, iron, waterfalls going through the roof into the base and down (it looks awesome and I love it but took tons of effort because of the water physics). Then I discovered a huge, huge, HUGE cave, went in really far, hit 3 creepers then 4 skeletons in a row then finally a fucking zombie killed me. Of course by the time I reached that place again (pretty much all my stuff was on me, so dumb) all my items despawned already.

At that point I pretty much gave up and decided I'll rest Minecraft for a while, but out of curiosity I started a new world and saw this.

Screenshot2010-10-04at84555PM.png

Screenshot2010-10-04at83634PM.png

Screenshot2010-10-04at84403PM.png

I don't know if it's rare or not but man it looked awesome.

upandaway said:
I don't know if it's rare or not but man it looked awesome.

It's rarer than spawning a normal world, but it's not too uncommon to spawn a snowy one - and once this next update hits, we should be seeing snowy environments a whole lot more :)

Hopefully biome support won't require you start over on a new world x_x

MNC

Holy fucking shit that looks to be awesome, cannot wait :O

I don't like the feeling how Notch makes it sound to be themed; while it's just coinciding with halloween.

dave is ok

aztek is ok
It'd be ok if one glass, one torch, one iron made like four lanterns.

Really though, he should move away from iron. It's already really useful for tools and minecarts/tracks.

dave is ok said:
Really though, he should move away from iron. It's already really useful for tools and minecarts/tracks.

Yeah, and there isn't really enough iron to spread around as it is. It's always the no.1 thing i'm looking for, because there's so little of it and it's so useful.

Perhaps Notch could add blocks of bronze? It could make weapons slightly below iron's standards, wouldn't work for minecarts/tracks, but would be perfect for making lanterns.

Ferrio

Banned
dave is ok said:
It'd be ok if one glass, one torch, one iron made like four lanterns.

I find iron really shitty for tools. It's barely a step up from stone.

Yaweee

Bootaaay said:
Yeah, and there isn't really enough iron to spread around as it is. It's always the no.1 thing i'm looking for, because there's so little of it and it's so useful.

Perhaps Notch could add blocks of bronze? It could make weapons slightly below iron's standards, wouldn't work for minecarts/tracks, but would be perfect for making lanterns.

I think that would benefit the game. There's not enough variety or hierarchy in terms of the quality of things you can mine for.

I'd prefer he start to veer away from the current crafting system. Having to lay things out in patterns skews the requirements to make objects, makes figuring out the objects too difficult (combinatorics lol), and makes things tedious constantly having to drag the items to the right spots and rearrange them. It all feels more time consuming than it should be. Making wood blocks and sticks is interesting and cute the first 10 piles, but not the 500th.

S. L.

Bootaaay said:

you realize that bronze is an alloy made of copper and tin, right?

Ferrio

Banned
Actually I like the idea of iron making it. Iron isn't as hard to find as you people are making it out, and it'd make you really think what you want lit up. Right now you can light up the world and darkness isn't much a threat anymore. Adding back some survival back into the game would be nice, get way too comfortable too quickly.

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
I think that would benefit the game. There's not enough variety or hierarchy in terms of the quality of things you can mine for.

I'd prefer he start to veer away from the current crafting system. Having to lay things out in patterns skews the requirements to make objects, makes figuring out the objects too difficult (combinatorics lol), and makes things tedious constantly having to drag the items to the right spots and rearrange them. It all feels more time consuming than it should be. Making wood blocks and sticks is interesting and cute the first 10 piles, but not the 500th.
Not if you know the basic shape of the item!

And the requirements are only skewed if you don't get enough results. Like, you get a ton of track pieces for everyone "one" track you build in the crafting block.

And it's not tedious. It's fun. :3

S. L. said:
you realize that bronze is an alloy made of copper and tin, right?

Smart-arse :D I was trying to simplify the process. Collecting a bit of tin and a load of copper to turn into bronze, to then turn into lanterns seems like a step too many for something we'll probably need a whole lot.

Ferrio said:
I find iron really shitty for tools. It's barely a step up from stone.
yep, this!

Imho a good recipe would be
Code:
III
GCG
GCG

I - Iron
G - Glass
C - Coal

And you get 8 laterns out of this

Vlad

Yaweee said:

I don't so much mind that, since it's easy to make multiple items of something using right-clicking to place single items or half-stacks in places, but I'd love to eventually see a little more functionality to inventory management. For example, when you're moving stuff to and from a chest, it'd be nice to control-click to automatically move the item under your cursor to or from the chest. Likewise, it'd be nice to be able to quickly assign items to the different hotkeys. Dragging everything around gets a little tedious after a while.

MNC

Also lanterns have to be breakable into lanterns.

Holy fuck I cannot wait for this update already... Makes the game so much more coherent. I really hope multiplayer will have the exact same updates.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom