• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yaweee said:
I think that would benefit the game. There's not enough variety or hierarchy in terms of the quality of things you can mine for.

I'd prefer he start to veer away from the current crafting system. Having to lay things out in patterns skews the requirements to make objects, makes figuring out the objects too difficult (combinatorics lol), and makes things tedious constantly having to drag the items to the right spots and rearrange them. It all feels more time consuming than it should be. Making wood blocks and sticks is interesting and cute the first 10 piles, but not the 500th.
WTF? get those simplified win-button game style of out minecraft please

Haunted

I think having to lay out patterns does a good job of furthering the illusion of the player actually crafting something instead of just throwing all the ingredients into a pot (so to speak). It's the little things. That, and it helps to differentiate crafted items which require the same materials.

The sign is still my favourite pattern.

Also, Iron required for permanent light? You guys are crazy! Making torches temporary is easily the biggest change introduced by this patch.

Yaweee

Caesar III said:
WTF? get those simplified win-button game style of out minecraft please

I don't see what is at all "win-button game style" about making recipes simple enough to figure out on your own, or have some indication what the final product should look like, or what different materials and items are actually called, or some kind of better interface that doesn't require dragging things back and forth, back and forth, back and forth forever, or recipes that give final products actually useful with regards to how much effort they cost. 8 Gold Ingots for a single Golden Apple? Sorry, I find that to be completely ridiculous.

EDIT: Oops, it is 8 gold BLOCKS for the Golden Apple. That's much better.

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
I don't see what is at all "win-button game style" about making recipes simple enough to figure out on your own, or have some indication what the final product should look like, or what different materials and items are actually called, or some kind of better interface that doesn't require dragging things back and forth, back and forth, back and forth forever, or recipes that give final products actually useful with regards to how much effort they cost. 8 Gold Ingots for a single Golden Apple? Sorry, I find that to be completely ridiculous.
But they are...

Max

I am not Max
By the time this update arrives I'll be ready to play tonnes more. I've been burnt out from this game for too long.

Yaweee

Twig said:
But they are...

Flint and Steel: Why is it laid out in that particular way? Not diagonal the other direction, not in the reverse order, not side-by-side or one on top of the other?

Twig

Banned
Yaweee said:
Flint and Steel: Why is it laid out in that particular way? Not diagonal the other direction, not in the reverse order, not side-by-side or one on top of the other?
Dunno, but it took me literally all of ten seconds to figure it out.

I guess it should only take one second in a perfect world. ):

Haunted

Iron for lanterns would be crazy given the importance of permanent light in this game.

It's all about stone lanterns, man.

toro_main.jpg

Stone, coal, glass, done.

Code:
SSS
GCG
S S

edit: more fun alternatives
T = torches
Code:
 S 
GTG
 S 

SSS
GTG
SSS

SGS
GTG
SGS

G
GTG
 G

SGS
GTG

GTG

Haunted

Yaweee said:
or recipes that give final products actually useful with regards to how much effort they cost. 8 Gold Ingots for a single Golden Apple? Sorry, I find that to be completely ridiculous.

EDIT: Oops, it is 8 gold BLOCKS for the Golden Apple. That's much better.
:lol true. Then again, the golden apple is pretty much the only useful item you can make out of gold anyway, so might as well dump all your findings into it.

Haunted

The watch will definitely use redstone.

The description of the portals in The Wheels of Time remind me of the way fast travel was presented in Darksiders. But it sounds like 1 block in the Minecraft hell world will equal 10 blocks in the regular world, which necessarily implies some correlation between the worlds' layout (instead of arbitrarily placed entry/exit points linked by floating bridges).

JoeyX

Neo Member
I hope you can carry the lantern with you. Ya know, so you don't have to make a lot and put them everywhere. And I hope you can hang them under a block in order to light an entire room. Instead of 20 torches to keep out monsters something like 4 lanterns will light the whole area.

That would justify the use of Iron and make going through dungeons more fun (Monsters would spawn due to the only light being you)

Log4Girlz

I wish you could marry redstone to a torch and make it permanent...sigh. Considering how huge the changes are I really hope I can play the old version seperate from this update.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Log4Girlz said:
I wish you could marry redstone to a torch and make it permanent...sigh. Considering how huge the changes are I really hope I can play the old version seperate from this update.

I don't know. Outside of the torch thing, they haven't broke anything...

Blizzard

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
You can play the old version separately, but you'd better back up everything now and only play it offline. Otherwise, it will automatically update if you're connected to the internet.

I'm hoping it won't be too bad. Torches going away is annoying for people who have hundreds of torches in structures. You can already make redstone torches but I don't think they provide much light (and they might go out too?). Lanterns sounds great, but if they take iron then that definitely concerns me about scarcity, since iron always seemed not common enough, especially if you want to make minecarts etc.

Rainier

rocksolidaudio said:
not to interrupt the update love (which does sound fantastic), but i wrote up a thing on Minecraft, thought some of you might enjoy it.
Nice write-up.

The distribution of the geometry may be random, but it doesn’t feel random in the same way that action-RPG dungeons do; rather, it feels natural and, importantly, unpredictable. Awkward edges jut up against each other, pieces of land sometimes float in the sky for no apparent reason, rivers spring forth from cliff faces and immediately pour down cavernous sinkholes.

There’s no comfort of scrupulously set paths or sensibly navigable structures. And as diluted as modern level design can be from focus testing and endlessly massaging players’ relationship to their environment, it feels much more genuine and empowering exploring a world that isn’t baby-proofed.

That part really rings true with me.

Looking forward to the update, and I actually like the idea of temp torches and the new lanterns. Keeps the game challenging, and therefore more rewarding.

L00P

Having the torches expire makes sense...but Christ I'm gonna have to replace a million of those:lol

And about time they made a watch. Can't wait for Halloween!

L00P said:
Having the torches expire makes sense...but Christ I'm gonna have to replace a million of those:lol

And about time they made a watch. Can't wait for Halloween!

it only makes sense if we can replace them with another light source that is continuous.

Log4Girlz

I never messed with redstone. I know you can make wires or such? I hope you can hook up a ton of torches together and light a fuse so to speak and relight tons of torches at once :( Anyway, so if I light a block of wood on fire, it seems to last FOREVER...and I can grow trees...is that a sensible alternative to lamps? Just set up blocks of logs everywhere and light 'em up?

Rainier said:
Nice write-up.

The distribution of the geometry may be random, but it doesn’t feel random in the same way that action-RPG dungeons do; rather, it feels natural and, importantly, unpredictable. Awkward edges jut up against each other, pieces of land sometimes float in the sky for no apparent reason, rivers spring forth from cliff faces and immediately pour down cavernous sinkholes.

There’s no comfort of scrupulously set paths or sensibly navigable structures. And as diluted as modern level design can be from focus testing and endlessly massaging players’ relationship to their environment, it feels much more genuine and empowering exploring a world that isn’t baby-proofed.

That part really rings true with me.
thanks a bunch sir! this update is making me want to start a new world at home to work on, i'm way too in love with the one i built at work to show my co-workers. bah.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Sounds good, except the torches thing. That is just too much. I don't like that change at all. The game is NOT easy. It's nice to use torches to light up where you have been, interesting spots, etc., and it shouldn't cost too much resources to do this.

WanderingWind

Ether_Snake said:
Sounds good, except the torches thing. That is just too much. I don't like that change at all. The game is NOT easy. It's nice to use torches to light up where you have been, interesting spots, etc., and it shouldn't cost too much resources to do this.

Plus, torches just look cool. Lanterns, unless green and come with an oath, just aren't as cool. Did Indy carry a lantern? NO!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
oh ill just try this game out for a bit, build a quick shelter and get the entrance to my project started....

*5 hours later*

*shelter is 12 stories tall, running 8 furnaces deep in the earth*
fuck.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Twig said:
What, the game is super easy right now.

Like, ridiculously easy.

That is to say, ridiculously, super easy.

No, and you can always boost the difficulty anyway. Now this will just lead me and others to lower the difficulty, which is stupid.

If he wants to make the game more difficult he needs to think about other things. For example, make your initial spawning area automatically be an area where weaker monster types appear, and further areas have stronger monsters. He could do all sorts of things to make the game's difficulty scale up based on various factors. But the torch thing is ridiculous, especially when considering that the game still has no actual goal, so you're making it harder for the players without giving them anything back in return for that increase in difficulty. Makes no sense really. I can imagine more and more people will be inclined to play on Peaceful and just build shit.

WanderingWind

Ether_Snake said:
No, and you can always boost the difficulty anyway. Now this will just lead me and others to lower the difficulty, which is stupid.

If he wants to make the game more difficult he needs to think about other things. For example, make your initial spawning area automatically be an area where weaker monster types appear, and further areas have stronger monsters. He could do all sorts of things to make the game's difficulty scale up based on various factors. But the torch thing is ridiculous, especially when considering that the game still has no actual goal, so you're making it harder for the players without giving them anything back in return for that increase in difficulty. Makes no sense really.

Well, maybe lanterns are relatively inexpensive to make, too. Let's not jump to conclusions. Or, if they require iron, maybe he'll make iron more coal-like in it's frequency.

I just want a way to relocate my spawn point. Maybe some tremendous feat of crafting?

Log4Girlz

The biggest problem is that I use torches as information. I mark the entrance to my mine, I have made breadcrumbs leading me to points of interest. This will be ruined by the change unless all my current torches become lanterns. I would prefer for torches to go dim, and letting out feeble light, no longer useful to prevent spawns but still visible so I can know where the fuck I am.

Twig

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Yes. And I play on the hardest.

In the beginning it might be difficult because you haven't built up your base or mined anything, but then you get a diamond sword and lay waste to the world.

Super easy.

Besides that, I doubt this is about making the game more difficult. It's about making the game MORE, period. Stop crying and figure out how to craft a weapon.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Twig said:
What, the game is super easy right now.

Like, ridiculously easy.

That is to say, ridiculously, super easy.
It really is. Nowadays, you just punch three trees and find a few coal deposits and you can completely light up an entire cave system. There's no challenge after you get the hang of it (and that's why he says the new monsters will be "actually difficult this time around"). I think the changes to torches, combined with the increased "difficulty" in deeper levels and new monsters is going to turn this game into a much more rewarding experience.

Hopefully SMP will have all those features implemented on the 31st, so that I can roll a new world with my siblings and play it the way it's supposed to be played.

WanderingWind

Brazil said:
It really is. Nowadays, you just punch three trees and find a few coal deposits and you can completely light up an entire cave system. There's no challenge after you get the hang of it (and that's why he says the new monsters will be "actually difficult this time around"). I think the changes to torches, combined with the increased "difficulty" in deeper levels and new monsters is going to turn this game into a much more rewarding experience.

Hopefully SMP will have all those features implemented on the 31st, so that I can roll a new world with my siblings and play it the way it's supposed to be played.

On the other hand, with all that extra danger, there needs to be more reward. No more of digging for 30 minutes and only finding 3 blocks of iron. Not saying make everything common, but you need to balance out the extra danger with something cool.

Ferrio

Banned
WanderingWind said:
On the other hand, with all that extra danger, there needs to be more reward. No more of digging for 30 minutes and only finding 3 blocks of iron. Not saying make everything common, but you need to balance out the extra danger with something cool.

Iron is pretty common, just not common enough you can dig straight down and expect to find a ton. Find a cave system and you'll be swimming in so much of the stuff you won't know what to do with it.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Pandaman said:
oh ill just try this game out for a bit, build a quick shelter and get the entrance to my project started....

*5 hours later*

*shelter is 12 stories tall, running 8 furnaces deep in the earth*
fuck.
We really should tabulate how many posts like this there are in the thread.

Log4Girlz

The rewards are unbalanced that is for sure. I've played for AGES, seriously approaching 100 hours now...and I've found 30 diamonds. And yes its easy to make torches and light places up, there are ways around that that don't need to piss people off. Ahh well, enough premature bitching, I'll wait and see the mats for the lanterns.

Accidentus

Neo Member
Does anyone else just play on Peaceful and not worry about monsters? I don't play this game to worry about creepers sneaking up and jihading me when I'm 20 levels underground and have no idea how to get back to my body. (Not that that's ever happened to me...)

WanderingWind

Ferrio said:
Iron is pretty common, just not common enough you can dig straight down and expect to find a ton. Find a cave system and you'll be swimming in so much of the stuff you won't know what to do with it.

I've dug a cave system that took me around ten days of playing. I found 8 iron, 4 diamond and enough gold to choke Fort Knox.

Hurrah random worlds!:lol

Ferrio

Banned
WanderingWind said:
I've dug a cave system that took me around ten days of playing. I found 8 iron, 4 diamond and enough gold to choke Fort Knox.

Hurrah random worlds!:lol

Did you dig a cave system or find one? You can find tons of iron with very very minimal digging.

ZealousD said:
No, that was my first thought too. This update seems like a headache to mining for me. The combination of torches going out, harder monsters, and the need to make lower areas brighter means less going down deep into the ground, which means getting fewer minerals and less exploration.

You see headaches. I see a challenge. And I likes it.

Can't fucking wait.

WanderingWind

Ferrio said:
Did you dig a cave system or find one? You can find tons of iron with very very minimal digging.

Found a deep hole and dug. I had around 4-5 base camps scattered around underground. It was very dwarfish. I loved it, and if gold was worth a crap in this game, I'd have been ecstatic.

Not mad about it or anything. Minecraft is easily, easily GOTY for me. Just saying that in the two worlds I've mucked about in, the availability goes

coal>gold>iron>>>>>>>>>>>>>>diamond

Log4Girlz

He should go with his plan of making diamond indestructible lol. I only use diamonds for shovels if i really need to clear out an area.

WanderingWind

Log4Girlz said:
He should go with his plan of making diamond indestructible lol. I only use diamonds for shovels if i really need to clear out an area.

I found a block of diamond and I gleefully picked at it and it dropped! Right into the lava that was directly underneath. Then the music started playing. I was pretty sure Notch programmed that on purpose.

Log4Girlz said:

Nah.

Some of you people just haven't been playing this game long enough to have a full perspective. My main issue with the game right now is that I've played so many hours of it, and I know how easy it is to have stacks and stacks of diamonds and never fear any mobs or anything. Anything that adds new dimensions and new challenges to the game is a winner in my book. Making diamond tools indestructible would suck. You can get a diamond tool within an hour or two of starting a new world.

Log4Girlz

HappyBivouac said:
Nah.

Some of you people just haven't been playing this game long enough to have a full perspective. My main issue with the game right now is that I've played so many hours of it, and I know how easy it is to have stacks and stacks of diamonds and never fear any mobs or anything. Anything that adds new dimensions and new challenges to the game is a winner in my book. Making diamond tools indestructible would suck. You can get a diamond tool within an hour or two of starting a new world.

I feel the amount of work I require to get diamond does not suit making tools from it. I have hollowed out damn well near whole mountains, and excavated several natural caves and nearly no diamond. But then again, I haven't started a new world in a long time. I remember months ago people saying the way worlds were generated was a bit different...more ore available? Correct me if I'm wrong.

edgefusion

Sounds like a great update... but I rolled a snowy level and I currently have a billion torches keeping my lake un-frozen. Looks like it's gonna get chilly again!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FYI it is almost guaranteed that many of these new features will require new worlds. Biomes I'm 99% positive. Quite possibly the "digging deeper" difficulty as well.

I don't think I'll be too serious about Minecraft before the update drops for this reason. I don't want to get too attached to anything I'm currently working on :D

On the upside, once Biomes ARE in, I can't think of much that could be added that would require users to re-roll a world. Besides maybe biome variety or something.

Ferrio

Banned
Log4Girlz said:
I feel the amount of work I require to get diamond does not suit making tools from it. I have hollowed out damn well near whole mountains, and excavated several natural caves and nearly no diamond. But then again, I haven't started a new world in a long time. I remember months ago people saying the way worlds were generated was a bit different...more ore available? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Near bedrock around lava pools, you're not going to find it really anywhere else especially digging randomly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom