• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Twig

Banned
HappyBivouac said:
Nah.

Some of you people just haven't been playing this game long enough to have a full perspective. My main issue with the game right now is that I've played so many hours of it, and I know how easy it is to have stacks and stacks of diamonds and never fear any mobs or anything. Anything that adds new dimensions and new challenges to the game is a winner in my book. Making diamond tools indestructible would suck. You can get a diamond tool within an hour or two of starting a new world.
If you spend all your time mining, sure, you'll find diamond.

But not "stacks and stacks," unless you do nothing BUT play Minecraft.
GDJustin said:
FYI it is almost guaranteed that many of these new features will require new worlds. Biomes I'm 99% positive. Quite possibly the "digging deeper" difficulty as well.

I don't think I'll be too serious about Minecraft before the update drops for this reason. I don't want to get too attached to anything I'm currently working on :D

On the upside, once Biomes ARE in, I can't think of much that could be added that would require users to re-roll a world. Besides maybe biome variety or something.
New block types.

Well, you can still explore for those to generate new things, I suppose. And fast travel will certainly help in that regard...

So, yeah, I guess you're right. O:

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
GDJustin said:
FYI it is almost guaranteed that many of these new features will require new worlds. Biomes I'm 99% positive. Quite possibly the "digging deeper" difficulty as well.

I don't think I'll be too serious about Minecraft before the update drops for this reason. I don't want to get too attached to anything I'm currently working on :D

On the upside, once Biomes ARE in, I can't think of much that could be added that would require users to re-roll a world. Besides maybe biome variety or something.

Monster villages. Unless he populates the already explored world with them...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Ferrio said:
Near bedrock around lava pools, you're not going to find it really anywhere else especially digging randomly.

Also, keep in mind, that iron/gold/diamond only appear right at or below sea level. So hollowing out a mountain above sea level won't do you much good.

JoeyX

Neo Member
Accidentus said:
Does anyone else just play on Peaceful and not worry about monsters? I don't play this game to worry about creepers sneaking up and jihading me when I'm 20 levels underground and have no idea how to get back to my body. (Not that that's ever happened to me...)

My GF does. Though I told her never play in easy, there is some bug that makes easy hard and normal.... well normal I suppose. Though that is all rumour to perhaps troll people.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Twig said:
Yes. And I play on the hardest.

In the beginning it might be difficult because you haven't built up your base or mined anything, but then you get a diamond sword and lay waste to the world.

Super easy.

Besides that, I doubt this is about making the game more difficult. It's about making the game MORE, period. Stop crying and figure out how to craft a weapon.

But this is where Minecraft fails. It doesn't scale in difficulty. You started mining diamonds, you got a diamond sword, etc.? Spawn new types of monsters.

It would be REALLY easy to balance the game. It is not balanced at all.

Notch should be focusing on: more enemy diversity and stronger AI as well as more emphasis on monster spawn locations, weapons (including possible traps) and armor diversity, new things to craft, and of course balanced and scaling difficulty.

With all this you would at least have a REAL game, with player-set goals: I want to clean up the region and make it safe, make better weapons and armors, then explore other areas where monsters are stronger, craft new tools and weapons to face the new enemy type I encounter, clean up the region, find some treasures, move to more difficult areas, etc. Of course through all this you craft everything imaginable to get things done.

Right now it's very chaotic, very unbalanced, and objective-less. I find it as a result easy to get sick of the game. I see myself having way more fun with the multiplayer once it is fixed because at least we will end up naturally settings ourselves objectives, finally giving some meaningfulness to the game. But until then, don't fucking unbalance the single player when there's no objective to begin with, otherwise you'll just lose people. There's a limit to how much time I'm willing to invest in a game if I see no point in playing it. Right now the fun I had was discovering the game, but this torch modification will make it more of a pain in the ass than anything, which is completely unwarranted considering there's still no point in playing the game.

GDJustin said:

Im sure not, as the maps people are using right now have like 99.9% of the world undiscovered, the only thing he needs to do is that this new locations appear in the rest of the map.
Im sure you know that the part of the map that is undiscovered doesnt really exist in any form until you visit and it regenerates new areas, no?

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
FlyinJ said:
Monster villages. Unless he populates the already explored world with them...

You might be right. I won't pretend to be technical enough to make an actual judgement. BUT - we all know that the engine loads and unloads "chunks" of the game world, as a player moves through it. If a player walks in a new direction, new chunks are created.

It is in this way that people could get reed and clay, even in worlds that had been made long before they were introduced.

Biomes are (presumably) different. Instead of each chunk being independent of the one that came before it, my guess is each chunk now will know where it is, relative to the rest of the world. So if the player walks 30 chunks north, snow starts.

Villages (friendly or hostile) might require a new world, but my guess is they could be spawned in a new chunk, same as reeds. I'm also guessing they are a LONG way off. Can you imagine the technical hurdles required? The world itself is already generated procedurally, so I can't fathom how Notch will procedurally place NPC structures WITHIN that random landscape, without it bugging out all the time.

Twig

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
blah blah blah
Here is a thing for you:

He's not going to stop adding stuff after this update.

And it's in fucking alpha. At least wait until it reaches beta before you start bitching about balance issues. AT LEAST beta.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Twig said:
Here is a thing for you:

He's not going to stop adding stuff after this update.

And it's in fucking alpha. At least wait until it reaches beta before you start bitching about balance issues. AT LEAST beta.

Why wait? I comment on the game as it is, not how it will be some day. The torches modification makes NO sense at this point considering it just makes playing the game more difficult. He can keep that update on the side until he can include it in a balanced manner.

Log4Girlz

FlyinJ said:
Also, keep in mind, that iron/gold/diamond only appear right at or below sea level. So hollowing out a mountain above sea level won't do you much good.

I always dig to bed rock, there always seems to be lava around. Diamond is ultra rare in my world.

Twig

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Why wait? I comment on the game as it is, not how it will be some day. The torches modification makes NO sense at this point considering it just makes playing the game more difficult. He can keep that update on the side until he can include it in a balanced manner.
Wait because it's in fucking alpha, and as such, he is adding things as they are finished, and also the torches modification does NOT make the game significantly more difficult, only slightly, and as a result actually DOES make the game more balanced because right now it's easy as shit, and ALSO you can play on peaceful if you want to be a whiny little babby mang, and ALSO there will be more additions to the game as time goes on and ALSO jesus christ what is wrong with you

Do you even know what "alpha" means? Because it sure sounds like you don't. Go learn about software development, and then come back here and realize how insane you sound.

YOU are the one who decided to purchase an INCOMPLETE GAME, AS ADVERTISED, and then get all teary-eyed when he decided to change something that he's been talking about changing for ages.

Good god what is wrong with you.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Twig said:
Wait because it's in fucking alpha, and as such, he is adding things as they are finished, and also the torches modification does NOT make the game significantly more difficult, only slightly, and as a result actually DOES make the game more balanced because right now it's easy as shit, and ALSO you can play on peaceful if you want to be a whiny little babby mang, and ALSO there will be more additions to the game as time goes on and ALSO jesus christ what is wrong with you

Do you even know what "alpha" means? Because it sure sounds like you don't. Go learn about software development, and then come back here and realize how insane you sound.

YOU are the one who decided to purchase an INCOMPLETE GAME, AS ADVERTISED, and then get all teary-eyed when he decided to change something that he's been talking about changing for ages.

Good god what is wrong with you.

Stop being so butthurt about my comments. And you have no idea what I do for a living (software development!).

ludwig.gif

Twig

Banned
Ether_Snake said:
Stop being so butthurt about my comments.
If you think I have any emotional investment in this whatsoever, you are sorely, sorely mistaken. U:
And you have no idea what I do for a living (software development!).
Then you should really know better, and the fact that you don't is kind of sad.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
sprsk said:
Can someone explain the biome concept as it pertains to Minecraft?
The only thing we're sure about is that there will be different regions in a single world that will be covered in snow or not. Comments have raised the possibility of "dry" regions - where water is rare and trees take longer to grow, too.

Other than that, we have no clue. Maybe rainy areas are in too.

Edit: Didn't know about the concept Sciz mentioned below. So there are plans for rainy areas.

Sciz

sprsk said:
It's a concept from the earlier Indev version of the game, back before maps were infinite. Maps could be generated with an environmental type (normal, hell, tropical, forest) and a terrain type (island, flat, floating, inland).

The biomes he keeps trying to implement will scatter those different archetypes (give or take a few) around the map as part of the terrain generation so that there's more of an incentive to explore and more to see when you do.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Metalic Sand said:
It already is way too easy so this will equal it out.

There are better ways to balance it. I don't see myself running back and forth destroying my torches just to plant them further down. There is difficult, and there is annoying.

Couple questions I got if anyone could answer that would be very helpful! I have not purchased the full game, I've been playing in offline mode (when he gave out the client for free) so my questions:

1. Does purchasing the full game just give access to updates and multiplayer? How important are the updates?
2. If I were to purchase the game, will it just update my account? Or would I have to restart everything I've done?

Atomski

Darknessbear said:
Couple questions I got if anyone could answer that would be very helpful! I have not purchased the full game, I've been playing in offline mode (when he gave out the client for free) so my questions:

1. Does purchasing the full game just give access to updates and multiplayer? How important are the updates?
2. If I were to purchase the game, will it just update my account? Or would I have to restart everything I've done?

1. Yes. I haven't had a update yet but I imagine they are pretty important (game changes and such).
2. Yes I had my worlds from when I played on the free weekend.

teekun

Ether_Snake said:
There are better ways to balance it. I don't see myself running back and forth destroying my torches just to plant them further down. There is difficult, and there is annoying.

You don't know yet how long it's going to take them to burn out. It could end up being a perfectly reasonable amount of time. Maybe long enough for you to explore a cave, find out if there's anything in there worth spending time with, and then put in a permanent light source.

The game's in alpha right now. That means it's not even feature complete, let alone balanced. Putting in new features and finding out what works and doesn't work is all part of the alpha stage of software development.

So, if it does end up being annoying rather than challenging: give Notch some feedback. It's not like he hasn't listened to user feedback before now.

Althane

deadnoob said:
Ok I just bit the bullet and bought minecraft. Now wtf do I do?:lol

Read the first post.

From there, if you want to go the easy route, read the Minecraft Wiki whenever you have a question. Otherwise, figure it out yourself for hard mode. =P

deadnoob said:
Ok I just bit the bullet and bought minecraft. Now wtf do I do?:lol

I was . . . I was just going to post this. I bought it. I think I got caught up in the idea of it after seeing some Youtube videos but . . . I just don't think I can do this :lol

Althane

aztrex said:
I was . . . I was just going to post this. I bought it. I think I got caught up in the idea of it after seeing some Youtube videos but . . . I just don't think I can do this :lol

You'll be surprised. I was amazed at what I turned out with only two hours of mining/crafting. After four, I've got an extensive cave system under my house, a two story house (and a growing tower nearby), and a chest full of useful tools and materials.

notsol337

marked forever
aztrex said:

Start building... a building. Start with the southwest corner, and just go.

You'll be amazed at what you can do without a plan.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
trinest said:
Oh god- that update is going to make Minecraft to dam hard.
Notch said, on that podcast he was in, that the maps aren't actually infinite. They're like, seven times the size of the earth tho, and would take you a couple of weeks to reach the border (by walking straight 24/7).

Or something to that extent.

Brazil said:
Which is something Notch already confirmed.

I am way too far behind on this thread. I just found the update notes for the 31st. and OMG biomes. Everything else is awesome but I really hope biomes bring huge diversity to the landscapes... I wonder if I will have to start a new world to experience them? All that work... omg :( someone hold me.

All this talk about the game being too easy... meh. I dont play minecraft for the monsters, they can still kill me fairly easily if I dont see them and its still scary as hell to hear them moaning about in a cave. I can understand that people want "more of a challenge" but I really dont think adding more monsters does the game any sort of service whatsoever. Want to fight zombies? Play dead rising 2. I do think however, that Notch could easily accommodate both parties. So yeah... fix this shit Notch!

sprsk said:

I'm assuming the higher you go the more likely you'll encounter snow, the further from water the less vegetation(desert).

On a side note, I hope he adds oil to the game, and the ability to make petroleum by products... or gasoline or something.

TheExecutive said:
All this talk about the game being too easy... meh. I dont play minecraft for the monsters, they can still kill me fairly easily if I dont see them and its still scary as hell to hear them moaning about in a cave. I can understand that people want "more of a challenge" but I really dont think adding more monsters does the game any sort of service whatsoever. Want to fight zombies? Play dead rising 2. I do think however, that Notch could easily accommodate both parties. So yeah... fix this shit Notch!

he should just specialize how encounters work. That way people who want to fight more of them can go out looking while those who don't, wont... unless it has enough benefits.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
TheExecutive said:

You can always just set it to peaceful or easy.

Goblin villages and abandoned towers are cool and all, but Notch should really leverage the massive amount of incredible content being created by players on a daily basis.

How?

Pull a Spore. Populate players' world with "pieces" of other players worlds. Create an algorithm to degrade them as necessary for that ancient look.

BooJoh

civilstrife said:
Goblin villages and abandoned towers are cool and all, but Notch should really leverage the massive amount of incredible content being created by players on a daily basis.

How?

Pull a Spore. Populate players' world with "pieces" of other players worlds. Create an algorithm to degrade them as necessary for that ancient look.
I was thinking about this the other day, and it sounds great on paper, but having played Spore extensively I can safely say that I'd rather not stumble upon random video game sprites and giant golden penises while exploring in Minecraft.

Really the number of out-of-place, offensive, or just plain artistically bad creations you run across in Spore tends to far outnumber the ones that impress you.

Twig

Banned
civilstrife said:

How?

DNW.

Minecraft is about making the world your own, whether "you" is just you or is you and your friends.

Jasoco

Banned
Fuck it, I just bought this. It's fun so far.. but I can't figure out how to make anything. Namely the axe. I am following the guide in the OP but I can't figure out what a "stick" is or where to get more than one. I have made the planks. But what are the sticks?

Also, is there a way to make it morning faster? Or do I have to wait the whole time? Sucks that it pauses when I put the app in the background.

zaidr

Is there any way to try out multiplayer before buying the game? I got hooked on this game on the free weekend, but would really like to check out what multiplayer is all about.

And is Alpha the same as survival mode? The regular day/night cycle with monsters coming out at night? Or is it something different?

zaidr

Jasoco said:
Fuck it, I just bought this. It's fun so far.. but I can't figure out how to make anything. Namely the axe. I am following the guide in the OP but I can't figure out what a "stick" is or where to get more than one. I have made the planks. But what are the sticks?

Also, is there a way to make it morning faster? Or do I have to wait the whole time? Sucks that it pauses when I put the app in the background.

make a workbench with the planks. Planks on all four squares.
Then, place that somewhere in your world, and right click on that and you have a larger area (3X3) to make more stuff.

Sticks are two planks on top of eachother in the crafting boxes.

check out the wiki for more stuff.

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Main_Page

Twig

Banned
TheExecutive said:
Dead Rising 2 is absolutely nothing like Minecraft in any fashion whatsoever.

Stop making comparisons that make no sense, thanks.

And you're missing the point entirely if you think all people want is "challenge." There's quite a bit more to this kind of game than difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom